Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 148147 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #555 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:27 PM »
Laufey : you're definitively amazing <3
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #556 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
Laufey, your cosplays are just... wow. I've been watching the progress from afar and to see the finished(or improved) versions is really satisfying. ;D
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #557 on: February 02, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
Laufey is actually a god. Is there a good of cosplay? If there isn't feel free to take the title, if there is feel free to take over the existing title.

These shoots are great! 100% most bestest in every way, the costumes (which it has been fun to see you working on these last few months), the location, and the poses all combine to create perfect renditions of the characters in real life ^_^ There's something just so natural about these shots and it's a joy to see them all :3
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #558 on: February 02, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
Laufey is actually a god. Is there a good of cosplay? If there isn't feel free to take the title, if there is feel free to take over the existing title.

Maybe Laufey is one of the gods who keeps Iceland safe from the Illness!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #559 on: February 02, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
Thank you everyone, adsjhdgkdjhgjh I'm rolling in my chair reading the comments because it's like being hit by a tsunami of everything pleasant and great and awesome. :-*

Maybe Laufey is one of the gods who keeps Iceland safe from the Illness!

A jötunn, if we go by mythology!

These shoots are great! 100% most bestest in every way, the costumes (which it has been fun to see you working on these last few months), the location, and the poses all combine to create perfect renditions of the characters in real life ^_^ There's something just so natural about these shots and it's a joy to see them all :3

Thank you, posing as a goofy character is my forte I guess. :D Iceland's awesome in that you can find great photoshoot locations anywhere, although I'm afraid the Sigrun photos' background might not look exactly Norwegian-mountain-like... but it was the best I could do, trees and mountains -wise. :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
Is there a god of cosplay?
Several, actually. The curse being that they're so good at cosplaying that they don't even recognize each other. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kahli

• Scout
« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »
Thank you for the nice comments everyone! Now for the Sigrun one. :D

:o *jaw drops* HOLY COW THOSE ARE GORGEOUS LAUFEY!!!!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Chapter break survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
So I think I've found a pretty good and most of all affordable fabric to make an expedition uniform. It's white, thick enough to at least appear durable, non-stretchy, and has a pleasant, smooth surface. A bit too shiny, but that can be taken care of with a healthy roll in the Great Outdoors anytime.

The problem is it's blackout curtain fabric. White on both sides, but black in the middle. (It's also pure polyester, but it's not like I can budget for wool anyway.) And I have no idea how those would behave if you tried to make them into clothes? If the surface breaks is the black going to come through? Should I even try this? Help?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
So I think I've found a pretty good and most of all affordable fabric to make an expedition uniform. It's white, thick enough to at least appear durable, non-stretchy, and has a pleasant, smooth surface. A bit too shiny, but that can be taken care of with a healthy roll in the Great Outdoors anytime.

The problem is it's blackout curtain fabric. White on both sides, but black in the middle. (It's also pure polyester, but it's not like I can budget for wool anyway.) And I have no idea how those would behave if you tried to make them into clothes? If the surface breaks is the black going to come through? Should I even try this? Help?

Ask the shop if you could have a swatch, most shops are willing to give you a tiny piece of fabric. Test a few stitches on it and bully the material to see how durable it is, 'cause if the white layer breaks then yes, the black will show through. Seams would be the most likely places to break. I haven't used that sort of fabric myself but I've used plenty others that were never meant to be worn, the main deal with cosplay is "will it look the way I want it to" so if it seems sturdy enough then definitely you should try it!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #564 on: February 04, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
My hair is currently somewhere between Árni and Reynir length--I have their color, though!  :)

I'm growing my hair out again (before it was to the small of my back, but I recently cut off 15 inches to donate to Pantene Beautiful lengths) but will try to do some hair cosplays...? I'm not very talented at sewing and I've never cosplayed before, but I'm pretty well-versed in braids and a wee bit of heat-styling, so maybe I could make some tutorials for SSSS characters?

If anybody of you lovely cosplayers would be interested in tutorials, please let me know! Or maybe, SSSS-inspired braids/looks, as our options for strictly canon hairstyles are somewhat limited. I can do some properly length-appropriate Reynir styles on my sister's hair, as hers is incredibly long.

*braidy hair below the spoilers*

Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:24:04 PM by gingerbraidgirl »
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #565 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »
My hair is currently somewhere between Árni and Reynir length--I have their color, though!  :)

I'm growing my hair out again (before it was to the small of my back, but I recently cut off 15 inches to donate to Pantene Beautiful lengths) but will try to do some hair cosplays...? I'm not very talented at sewing and I've never cosplayed before, but I'm pretty well-versed in braids and a wee bit of heat-styling, so maybe I could make some tutorials for SSSS characters?

If anybody of you lovely cosplayers would be interested in tutorials, please let me know! Or maybe, SSSS-inspired braids/looks, as our options for strictly canon hairstyles are somewhat limited. I can do some properly length-appropriate Reynir styles on my sister's hair, as hers is incredibly long.

*braidy hair below the spoilers*

Spoiler: show

I would definitely be interested if you did SSSS-inspired braidy things! I have almost Reynir-length hair (waist-length when braided), though it's not the right color and less curly than his. I know how to do a couple of fancy braids, but am always looking for more interesting things to do to my hair.

There used to be a Cosplay help thread somewhere...not sure if tutorials would be better off there or here.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #566 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
There used to be a Cosplay help thread somewhere...not sure if tutorials would be better off there or here.

Okay, I'll try to post wherever in the appropriate threads as I don't mean to clutter. Thank you thank you! And yay for more gingers! Mine is naturally curly, though in a very strange way--wavy some places, quite curly in others.

A further explanatory note to all cosplayers: I unfortunately don't have any experience styling wigs, though, so I don't know how heat-styling differs between synthetic and human hair (you guys are legitimate pros, though, and I've loved reading this thread). But braids should be pretty similar, so long as your wig has some texture, or you give it some in the form of some kind of spray then you should be golden!  :))
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #567 on: February 14, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »
I know some of you are into making stuff like the Dreamworld costumes, or the garb Sigrun wears at home, or Lalli's flashback clothes, all of which hark back to mediaeval designs, as well as the standard crew uniforms. So here's a contact that might be useful for easy clothing patterns, including the sort of Viking-era clothes Laufey has been making.  This is also a great site for books on dyes, spinning and weaving, ancient arts, primitive food and cookery, crafts and domestic skills, early music, and history. Browse the catalogue and there's sure to be something of interest.

Colonial Lake Books
Brenda Bartel
08 7231 1236
PO Box 292 Greenwith SA 5125
www.coloniallakebooks.com.au

Wonderful resources here for costumers.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »
again a wip from my sweater. it is pretty close to be finished.

can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
that looks really cool! (or warm maybe)
Pretentious? Moi?