Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 143018 times)

moonamaija

• Tumblr
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
Thank you! The seam embroidery is based on real finds but I've also taken some liberties with it (like using two colours instead of just one), considering we'd be 90 years in the future and... ok that was an excuse, I just wanted to do it like that. :-[ The stitch type is based on Mammen wire embroidery finds. As for the collar, I just kind of took ideas from the wallpaper that showed the crew as they were before they ever signed up for the trip. Sigrun's tunic collar opens at the chest and seems like it could possibly-maybe have the otherwise trademark ribbon decorations nearly every military uniform we've seen so far has and imitated that with embroidery.

For patterns both the tunic and the shirt follow the same pattern you have in your link, except the shirt underneath also has a rectangular collar cover like the one shown here (scroll down a bit). Scroll a bit further down and you'll find the pattern I used for the trousers - I didn't have a ready pattern so I just calculated the right size for each piece for myself. It was a bit a lot of work but I think the end outcome looks pretty nice! Still, SSSS happens in Y90 so you don't have to be "viking-accurate" when you make the cosplay unless you want to, in which case high five fellow clothing history nerd!
Thank you for opening up the process! And that link is awesome - you're right, I just wanted to make it viking-accurate :D Hello! But I'll be using my sewing machine and overlocker, since I just don't have that kind of dedication.

Shirt inconsistencies: I think the likeliest explanation is that the overtunic can easily be removed and that the shirt is the default everyone wears normally. Maybe I'm trying too hard to logic this, but the way I see it is that Lalli simply put it on between those two pages while the little steamboat takes some time to travel past the old city. Maybe he got cold? :D In any case I'd say you can go either way, only use the shirt or a shirt + tunic combo, both exist in canon as you pointed out. Same goes for the collar, since you have "options" in canon you can just go with the one that you like best. Tuuri and Lalli's shirts should be similar in my opinion, they're both in the military and the shirts are a part of the uniform so... same shirt, different sizes. Post photos when you're done by the way, I wanna seeeee~
That's a lot of trying :D imo I don't think Lalli would in any way have the time to take a shirt off between pages 90 and 91, but that's beside the point. How do you think the collars work then? There wouldn't be much sense to have two embroidered blue collars with big ribbons sitting one on top of the other, but if I simplify the undershirt's collar, that kind of shirt isn't canon anymore... Ugh :D Now I'm also questioning my fabric choices, I thought I'd do linen for both shirts, but wool might look better in the tunic (and be "more" accurate, according to your link). On the other hand, we'll be wearing those cosplays in summer. Hmm. But yeah, I'll def post photos as soon as there's anything to show.
But Crowley remembered what Heaven was like, and it had quite a few things in common with Hell. You couldn't get a decent drink in either of them, for a start. And the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
That's a lot of trying :D imo I don't think Lalli would in any way have the time to take a shirt off between pages 90 and 91, but that's beside the point. How do you think the collars work then? There wouldn't be much sense to have two embroidered blue collars with big ribbons sitting one on top of the other, but if I simplify the undershirt's collar, that kind of shirt isn't canon anymore... Ugh :D Now I'm also questioning my fabric choices, I thought I'd do linen for both shirts, but wool might look better in the tunic (and be "more" accurate, according to your link). On the other hand, we'll be wearing those cosplays in summer. Hmm. But yeah, I'll def post photos as soon as there's anything to show.

The collars are a mystery indeed... if both shirt and tunic have the same collar + ribbons construction you'll have the shirt collar tying ribbons cause a bulge and the double decorative collar-ribbon would look a bit funny. The way I could see it work, if you want to add the collar ribbon to both, would be by cutting the shirt collar a little larger than the tunic collar so that it won't show once you wear the tunic over it. Using much thinner straps for tying the shirt collar might help a lot too, about as thin as the Hurstvik page shirt example has. I made the Sigrun shirt like that and the straps are small enough to not bother the tunic.

I agree wool tunic is a better option than a linen one if we go by historical accuracy... the trousers and shirt can totally be linen though. Maybe you could make your cosplay season-matching by wearing it without the tunic in the summer and with the tunic in the winter? Or you can do the Medieval Norse thing and tuck the hem of the tunic into your belt if the weather's too warm for wool. :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:48:54 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
That mediaeval design with all the little panels pieced together was originally done to use each piece of cloth most efficiently, with minimum wastage. I've made reenactment costumes, and the oldest designs are always like that, dating as they do from times when woven cloth was very expensive if you bought it, and very time-and-labour intensive if you made it.

And the looms were much narrower. I really didn't understand some of the "tetris" piecing of the older Medieval clothing until I found some narrow loomed wool cloth when cleaning up my Mom's attic a few years ago. Back in the late 60's she was given some emerald green wool for curtains or upholstery that was only about 18" to 20 " wide. Suddenly, I saw the reason for the way the early Medieval and Viking clothing was pieced. Needless to say I relieved my mother of the burden of this strange cloth and (if I can find what box I put it in when we moved) it will become a Viking over tunic.

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2016, 11:04:10 PM »
/presses face to computer screen
Those. Are. So cool. : D Good thinking re: using ones against ghosts and such. ...And of course he would need one to prevent from getting lost. Of course.

i have a book on Pennsylvania Dutch Hex signs and magic. Most look like the distelfink birds and hearts and suns. But their was one that I came to realize (after beginning to read SSSS) was older. It is black and white and radial with horned faces on the edge. It is to drive away demons.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #529 on: January 28, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
We found some old leather while cleaning out the basement, and I got it to use for cosplay purposes! I made some bracers and I am currently working on some Lalli-boots!  :D

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #530 on: January 29, 2016, 03:37:40 AM »

That's looking really good already, nice fit and I love the texture and stitching. Can't wait for more process photos!

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #531 on: January 29, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
We found some old leather while cleaning out the basement, and I got it to use for cosplay purposes! I made some bracers and I am currently working on some Lalli-boots!  :D

Oh, very nice!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #532 on: January 30, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
Oh, very nice!
That's looking really good already, nice fit and I love the texture and stitching. Can't wait for more process photos!

Thank you! More process photos you say?! I have just the thing!

Spoiler: Many Images • show
Here is what I've got to work with, we found it in the basement. Apparently it's leftovers from when we had to get a chair redone. The bracers aren't made from the heavier leather of the big pieces in the middle, they're made of the thinner, (but more comfortable) pieces with white backing (over to the right of the photo). Those pieces there are just scraps.

Also the second one is finally finished.

Here is a close-up on the attachment mechanism. It's basically a strap that goes through a slit I cut and then around and back through again to hold it.

And here's the rune I put on the bit that covers the elbow, it's Odin's Illusionary Rune, for camouflage and deception.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2016, 02:33:36 AM »
Really nice work, Luth! Way to take advantage of an opportunity.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »

Finally photos! Starting with the improved Reynir cosplay, lots and lots and lots of photos in the spoiler cut!

Spoiler: show

By the way, Reynir makes the silliest faces ever. You don't fully appreciate Minna's goofy face talent before you try making them yourself: behold.

"Of course someone who's been abroad would say that."

"NnnnyYYUUuuuuuuu..."

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
Laaaufeeeyyyy that is one amazing reynir photoshoot!! the new fringe curls improved a lot, too! I love the poste in the first photo under the cut. leg
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

Finally photos! Starting with the improved Reynir cosplay, lots and lots and lots of photos in the spoiler cut!

Oh my gosh, you are the MOST CUTEST. It looks awesome! The new curls look great!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Most best Reynir :D
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments everyone! Now for the Sigrun one. :D

Spoiler: show

"Race you to the top?"

I keep pointing at things a lot with my ridiculously small sword/knife/dagger/what.

And naturally I had to do this too.

EDITing to add: the Reynir photos were taken at Hvassahraun and the hiking area of Straumur, Sigrun photos were taken at... Esjan. Of course. :D Photographer is fukkafyla.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:39:16 PM by Laufey »

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »

* Rabbit swoons
send help my poor heart can't take this
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany: