Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81807 times)

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
nice instructions :) I can't knit but they seem clear enough (edit: also, did I say how great your braidycoat looks? I think I didn't. it's very great!)
regarding the disk-thing on Braidy's clothes, I remember someone suggesting it could be mother-of-pearl
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
Oof, I finally managed to write everything down. You can find the pattern here.

(When I grow up I want to be captain Ása. I've already made a good start by an obsessive knitting hobby and things done in the past that would make me easily blackmailable...)

Ahhh thanks for writing that up! *immediately saves for year-in-the-future use since most of her current yarn is horrible garish acrylics*

Also, I like your new avatar. You just need to start saving up for a ship, now. :D

That is absolutely amazing. I have yet to embark on a project of this size... shawls are the biggest things I've done so far, and not very lightweight ones either. I'll probably try the capelet worn by the crew on Túnfiskurinn at some point.

I have already decided that if I, for some unknown reason, actually try to make a cosplay, it will be as Generic Icelandic Crewperson. Because those capelets are amazing. If you do try, please share!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:47:56 PM by mithrysc »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:22 AM »
I remember someone suggesting it could be mother-of-pearl

Now that's a possibility! It would look quite brilliant too... then the symbols on the plates would likely be painted on. If no more info on the plates comes up I might just go for that.

Also, I like your new avatar. You just need to start saving up for a ship, now. :D

I saw my chance and took it, it's not so often you come across a character that's just so right for you. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
Ok, managed to take a few photos of the sweater as it looks worn. I'm still considering crocheting around the hem...

*grabby fingers*
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

WellAnFree

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 01:41:31 AM »
Oof, I finally managed to write everything down. You can find the pattern here. :)

If I can offer some suggestions for the pattern?  :)

For international use, change that the needle size is 6mm, not size 6.  For US readers that is a significant size difference as we don't use mm, but an arbitrary numbering system. When I first read you knit that so fast and then saw size 6 needles in the pattern, my jaw bounced off the desktop.

Same with the yarn, actually.  I was able to look up Álafosslopi on Ravelry, but just to be clear to anyone who doesn't have access you may want to add that this is a bulky/7wpi yarn.

There's a chance this one will stretch a bit longer just by using it, or it might not, wool will always do as it pleases. :D I'll make a note in the instructions on how I figured out the length for mine so it'll be easy to variate.

I just read about a technique to keep heavy sweaters from stretching. Using the same yarn or a sturdier yarn that either matches color or is a good contrast, run a crochet chain stitch at the structure points.  This can be done on the purl side of the material to hide it, or on the knit side if you want it to show like piping. I haven't tried it myself but it sounds a good idea. :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:59:00 AM by WellAnFree »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2015, 03:56:38 AM »
WellAnFree: ooops didn't somehow even think the needle sizes would be different but of course they would be... sorry about my Sigrun moment. Thank you so much for the advice, I've edited everything in the pattern now. I'll try the crocheting trick on mine, I've never heard of this one before but it does sound like it could work.  :)

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

WellAnFree

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:39 AM »
For the Icelanders' capelet/poncho I spotted this pattern on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/icelandic-poncho---northern-lights Seems too good to pass up.

I am thinking that I can use it for the stitch count and shaping to the halfway point, as this patten is about double the length of the capelets.  Probably use the #7 needles called for on the body on the collar as well (that's 4.5mm to you, ;) ) change from knitting in the round to openface, and work out the design chart.

I'm trying to decide if I want to knit the collar edging and shoulder shaping with the rest of it, or add it later as a fabric applique to give it some structure.  Toggles in leather maybe? Hrmmm... how much work do I want to put into this?

Thoughts?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
I'm trying to decide if I want to knit the collar edging and shoulder shaping with the rest of it, or add it later as a fabric applique to give it some structure.  Toggles in leather maybe? Hrmmm... how much work do I want to put into this?

Thoughts?

Fabric applique sounds good, especially since the collar edging looks identical on both sides and has to be sturdy. A lining might also help to make it keep proper shape.
I guess we get our best look at the front fastenings on page 283 which doesn't really say much about the material... leather would probably work, or if you want a really Icelandic look you could use heavily decorated metal fastenings of some kind. If I have some extra time today I could go take a few photos of what usually goes onto knit items here. :)

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
For the Icelanders' capelet/poncho I spotted this pattern on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/icelandic-poncho---northern-lights Seems too good to pass up.

I am thinking that I can use it for the stitch count and shaping to the halfway point, as this patten is about double the length of the capelets.  Probably use the #7 needles called for on the body on the collar as well (that's 4.5mm to you, ;) ) change from knitting in the round to openface, and work out the design chart.

Thoughts?

Hm, you could try steeking it. I haven't done it myself, but trying to do a stranded colorwork flat is problematic.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

WellAnFree

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
Hm, you could try steeking it. I haven't done it myself, but trying to do a stranded colorwork flat is problematic.
Ohhh, steeking.  Scary. Probably a good idea to help keep tension, but steeking means hems and sewing.  Unfortunately so does applique, which I'm 90% sure is what is needed for the collar/shoulderwork.

I also found these lovely Drops designs to mimic!  They are free and available on the internet, so I don't have to run down to the library for the book with the other pattern. I love Drops.  Truly, hand to heart, I love them, they make wonderful patterns.

About the toggles, yeah I wrote that wrong. In the frame with the radio operator holding the phone for the captain, it first looked like the toggles were more like this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/not-quite-a-cape and I could do the cross pieces to hold the buttons in leather.  But you're right, they're not toggles but buckle-clasps.  Now to find a nice set.

Maroonish

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
Hulllo all, I'm brand new to the forum, but loving SSSS :)

I was hoping to find a thread like this because I just bought some yarn to make a fan sweater (purple, orange, and white worsted). I'll start making charts for the color work soon, probably of the main star logo and some cats, and I'd love ideas for other motifs. I think it will be a classic round-yoke sweater, maybe with a steek if I am feeling brave. I don't intend this as cosplay, but now I've been noticing the sweaters * in * the comic and getting all excited, haha. 

I've only found one related project on ravelry, is ax010tl one of you? 

mamioja

• Just another labrat
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:07 PM »
This project is not knitted, but I think I dare to post the link here.
It is an aRTD zipper pouch featuring Hannu with Ville the bear. Size 25 x 16 x 5 cm.

-For transferring the picture I had a laserprinter copy. It needs to be a reversed picture. (Mine was normal; as you can see it is now reversed - I wasted all the good pics on failed tries). All extra paper needs to be cut out.
-The liquid transfer media (referred hence as stuff) I used is called "Power print" by Powertex, but there probably are other similar products. Bought it at regular craft shop (Askartelukulma in Finland).

-The stuff is applied to a clean and dry surface (fabric for me) with a brush. Same done to the front of the picture.
-The picture is laid face down on fabric and pressed firmly and evenly. Wipe extra stuff away with tissue. Better not get too much on back of the picture either (or fingers).
- Dry for 10 minutes with a hairdryer alternating between picture and fabric sides. I tried to put the picture in a cardboard box for more intensive drying and shortcircuit my blower. Also tried oven (the kind that heats with warm air, don´t find the word for it in english), but it didn´t work at all.
- Let cool down and remove the paper with a damp sponge.
- If you let the fabric dry you see if all the paper has come off. And probably do some more scrubbing. When it looked ok I washed it together with normal laundry (40 / 60 degrees celcius). I wouln´t wash it with all the paper on; would mess the machine with paper pulp.
- The fabric was a bit hard, but softened a little when I carefully ironed it  with mild temperature. Ironing very carefully if at all!

Sewing a zippered pouch; I can give some blogger pages if needed, but google is better than me at it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:24:00 PM by mamioja »
When life gives you scraps make a quilt

survival :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:

Fluent in :finland: :uk:
Can get by :sweden:
Lost in time :germany:  :france:  :spain:  :russia:

Lived in :canada: :finland: :australia:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
This project is not knitted, but I think I dare to post the link here.
It is an aRTD zipper pouch featuring Hannu with Ville the bear. Size 25 x 16 x 5 cm.

https://fi.pinterest.com/pin/546624473498438949/
https://fi.pinterest.com/pin/546624473498438958/

Very cool!
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
I'm done with the oven cloth. Only one so far, as I ran out of wool doing the first one. On my profile pic you see the dark side, the light one is the back side:

That's gorgeous i love it!

WellAnFree

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:33 AM »

I've only found one related project on ravelry, is ax010tl one of you?

OOOooooh, lookie at that!  Nice sweater.  Nope, that's not me. :)

I am having a difficult time right now with yarn choices.  Cheaper but less authentic yarns, or begger myself for a poncho? 

I really wanted to use some navajo churro fleece I have, but that means I would have to wait until I spin it first and, well... that would mean I had finished carding it.  :-\

It's been a busy winter, I'm not at that point yet, sadly.