Author Topic: Plans for Minna's Birthday!  (Read 53477 times)

ConnieMW

• Super-Newbie
Re: Plans for Minna's Birthday!
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »

My birthday contribution from Ireland :)

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
spent way too long (again) reshadowing/highlighting/smoothing instead of working, but now it's DONE! Maybe now I can do the stuff I must :-\
a mirrored and only slightly disproportionate (and also, greyscale) version of me
*for the "how do you look Enthusiasts": my hair is actually longer, it just didn't show in the pic I used as reference*

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:15:21 PM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
My birthday contribution from Ireland :)

Yay... found, harvested and hung on the card!

spent way too long (again) reshadowing/highlighting/smoothing instead of working, but now it's DONE! Maybe now I can do the stuff I must :-\
a mirrored and only slightly disproportionate (and also, greyscale) version of me
*for the "how do you look Enthusiasts": my hair is actually longer, it just didn't show in the pic I used as reference*

Really nice work!

This is where I am right now:

Ok.. dumb question from me... where should we post this when done?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
Deadline for art is 01:00 GMT on the 9th
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
Heh, here's mine:

Not 100% accurate or anything, but a good idea of what I look like, nevertheless. Man, this whole thing is such a good idea~
Am notified of private messages via email.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »
Ok.. dumb question from me... where should we post this when done?

Wow, the card looks terrific, Lars!

Here's my suggestion for how/where to post it -- not that I'm wedded to this plan:

Put a link to it up in the News Update slot, where the request for card drawings is now.  (Eich or Noako would presumably need to do that.)

Then e-mail Minna with a link to either the card on the forum, or directly to wherever it's hosted.

Also, for those of us who aren't graphically inclined, how about opening a word-processing doc for people to write something brief to Minna?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »
Heh, here's mine:

Not 100% accurate or anything, but a good idea of what I look like, nevertheless. Man, this whole thing is such a good idea~

Lenny, you look so elegant!  I love the hat -- is it meant to be fur?  The overall look is very "Dr. Zhivago."
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:38 PM »
Alright, so we decided in the chat that it would probably be best to use the comments section on the comic, preferably with the use of an "@Minna" at the start of the post (so her name will be in big, red, shiny, attention-grabbing letters).  We considered doing an email, but we didn't want her to feel like her privacy had been intruded upon.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »
Alright, so we decided in the chat that it would probably be best to use the comments section on the comic, preferably with the use of an "@Minna" at the start of the post (so her name will be in big, red, shiny, attention-grabbing letters). 

Thanks for settling the issue.  This has the extra advantage that non-Forum-visitors can see the card too. 
Moreover, Minna has admitted she lets her e-mail pile up, so she'd probably see a Disqus post sooner!

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 12:53:43 AM »
How about a short time-travel really early tomorrow and put it on the comments just before the new page goes up? The rest of us should avoid the time-travelling as Minna gets å bit overwhelmed when comments are piling up before the page is even there...

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2015, 12:54:54 AM »
... I'm afraid that that severely limits the possibilities ... :(

Can you use the imgur.com website at all? I'ld guess that it might be blacklisted in a number of content filtering solutions ...

Nah, everything but imgur is working right.
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2015, 04:50:03 AM »
How about a short time-travel really early tomorrow and put it on the comments just before the new page goes up? The rest of us should avoid the time-travelling as Minna gets å bit overwhelmed when comments are piling up before the page is even there...

That sounds like a good idea to me, since I think she likes to delete the time travel posts before the page is up, so she's almost certain to read it, especially if it's just the one comment with a big link in the middle and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINNA in capital letters. I don't think an email would let her know nearly as well, but if she does miss the time travel, we can always post it in regular comments over the day.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »
That sounds like a good idea to me, since I think she likes to delete the time travel posts before the page is up, so she's almost certain to read it, especially if it's just the one comment with a big link in the middle and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINNA in capital letters. I don't think an email would let her know nearly as well, but if she does miss the time travel, we can always post it in regular comments over the day.
Minna once said that she looks at the comments for a while when she's posting the update anyway, i.e., every comment section gets looked at shortly after the comic's been posted, and around the time the next page goes up. Considering that the number of comments went a bit through the roof since, I don't think that it's a given anymore that she'll see a specific comment at the latter occasion - so putting one up "early" by means of time travel would be the obvious choice.

Back when the hoster had problems, the alert that successfully got Minnas attention reached her through Tumblr, however.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

P__

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2015, 05:59:28 AM »
you can't include images in Disqus can you? :(
I know there's at least *some* text formatting available, would it be possible to make the whole "happy birthday" message shine in big red letters? |edit: <FONT> tag doesn't seem to work, at least not for color|
anyway, Minna's disqus handle is @minnasundberg, I believe writing that in the message gives her a notification
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:17:57 AM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »
Minna once said that she looks at the comments for a while when she's posting the update anyway, i.e., every comment section gets looked at shortly after the comic's been posted, and around the time the next page goes up. Considering that the number of comments went a bit through the roof since, I don't think that it's a given anymore that she'll see a specific comment at the latter occasion - so putting one up "early" by means of time travel would be the obvious choice.

Back when the hoster had problems, the alert that successfully got Minnas attention reached her through Tumblr, however.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that we can't count on Minna seeing our comments any more, but if that's the cost for having a larger readership then it's easily worth it. I hadn't thought of Tumblr, and if it doesn't look like she's seen anything else we can certainly send something to her on there. It's looking pretty likely to me that we're going to be able to get it to her on the day.