Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 231432 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #1095 on: December 11, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
Also would depend on the weather. The little ice age around a thousand years ago killed off the Viking settlers there (the plague didn't help), but some Inuit have always lived there, or at least used the place for hunting. If the climate has kept warming from our time people might well survive in Greenland - the ice is melting there at present, making for some fascinating archeology as the buried Viking settlements are uncovered.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1096 on: December 19, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
Also would depend on the weather. The little ice age around a thousand years ago killed off the Viking settlers there (the plague didn't help), but some Inuit have always lived there, or at least used the place for hunting. If the climate has kept warming from our time people might well survive in Greenland - the ice is melting there at present, making for some fascinating archeology as the buried Viking settlements are uncovered.

Certainly from a subsistence level, hunting is possible.  There won't be a lot of veg in their diet, though!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #1097 on: December 19, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »
Yeah, that was part of the problem with the original settlement. The settlers grew rye and barley crops as well as raising livestock, and there used to be enough in the way of berries, wild green plants and herbs to get by. Seaweed was the only thing they were left with when it got cold. Remember, it happened really fast, like within a generation it went from a climate where you could leave the livestock out in the fields all winter with a bit of protection from the worst storms to one where animals froze to death in the barns, and people in their houses. So their crops failed. We know about it all because they were a fairly literate culture; people wrote letters, kept journals, and petitioned the pope for help when things fell apart.

Jerzy_S

« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »
Hello! I'm a newbie here, so please, be forgiving.
So,
I guess it's not uncommon to wonder what your country looks like in the Minnaverse. I've been wondering too. So has anyone survived in Poland?
On the one hand, I doubt it. Poland might have many assets but good organisation and effectivness in action are rarely ones of those. Also unity can be a chink in our armour. Poles would probably just keep arguing until everyone had been infected by the Illness.
On the other hand though... I like to think that perhaps we would have a chance. Poland's climate allows to harvest good crops to feed the people, but also can provide a really harsh winter (So-called "100 years' winter" of 1978 and the entire 17th century to prove my words), which would make a great setback for trolls and beasts. Moreover, Middle Ages left us quite a fortress lands, full on various holds, keeps, castles, some fortified manors, and many other places to hide and live in. It brings me a nice thought - the words "Poland has not yet perished/ so long as we live" being fullfilled by people defending places such as Wawel or Malbork Castle from the grosslings.
I do know that it's just a fantasy that would be unlikely to happen, but sharing it was fun anyway.

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #1099 on: December 22, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
So,
I guess it's not uncommon to wonder what your country looks like in the Minnaverse. I've been wondering too. So has anyone survived in Poland?

Maybe, Poland seems to fulfill some of the criteria’s for being able to sustain human life in world of year 90. It has remote and isolated regions in form of its large rural areas and its mountains, and its winter are cold enough to limit the troll population. So it doesn’t seem too unlikely that there somewhere in the middle of Poland in an old fort on top of some mountain far beyond the reach of the Nordics countries is a small village with people, wondering if they are the last ones left in the world.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »
It'd be cool if some of the Celtic peoples of the British isles survived. Like the Scotts, Irish, and Welsh. Celtic mythology is cool as hell and the Gaelic language is pretty interesting.

Besides, nothing can conquer the Irish people.Not even the force of nature itself. :)

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Róisín

« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
If the Australian climate can't kill us I doubt anything can! I reckon there would have to be survivors on the Irish and Scots coastal islands (main problem there would be seals), or in the highlands. I wonder what would happen to 'the ruined abandoned Blaskets' off the coast of Kerry? They might suddenly become very desirable real estate, once the political reasons to depopulate the islands were gone.

And since in many of the Celtic areas the magic never really disappeared in the first place, it might come back quite strongly.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1102 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »
I once read a story in which a small Irish village wound up in a situation similar to Dalsnes in year 0. It was was rather fun playing with the idea of a crossover or fusion, though I'd never be able to do it justice.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Róisín

« Reply #1103 on: December 23, 2016, 12:35:51 AM »
Have you ever read the Maryann Forrest novel 'Here (away from it all)'? Similar themes, well written, very dark. I've heard it described as an adult 'Lord of the Flies'. Well worth a read.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #1104 on: December 23, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »
So,
On the one hand, I doubt it. Poland might have many assets but good organisation and effectivness in action are rarely ones of those. Also unity can be a chink in our armour. Poles would probably just keep arguing until everyone had been infected by the Illness.
On the other hand though... I like to think that perhaps we would have a chance. Poland's climate allows to harvest good crops to feed the people, but also can provide a really harsh winter (So-called "100 years' winter" of 1978 and the entire 17th century to prove my words), which would make a great setback for trolls and beasts. Moreover, Middle Ages left us quite a fortress lands, full on various holds, keeps, castles, some fortified manors, and many other places to hide and live in. It brings me a nice thought - the words "Poland has not yet perished/ so long as we live" being fullfilled by people defending places such as Wawel or Malbork Castle from the grosslings.
I do know that it's just a fantasy that would be unlikely to happen, but sharing it was fun anyway.

Hi! I will have you know that Poland has been considered before. ;) I don't think Wawel or Malbork are likely to survive - too many people around the former, and too many tourists from all over the Europe in the latter - but you have a good point with castles, keeps and other thingamajigs that we have, I somehow failed to think about it.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Jerzy_S

« Reply #1105 on: December 23, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »
Hi! I will have you know that Poland has been considered before. ;) I don't think Wawel or Malbork are likely to survive - too many people around the former, and too many tourists from all over the Europe in the latter - but you have a good point with castles, keeps and other thingamajigs that we have, I somehow failed to think about it.

Yes, you are right. I haven't thought about factors such as tourists or density of population. I will give it more thought now. (However, I still wish Kraków luck. I wouldn't be fond of my home town turning into a ghosts town).
Also, your post about Poland is impressive. Thinking of access to goods such as metal ores and coal - wow, I completely forgot about such things. I certainly should have thought about it more before posting.

P.S. "(...)we have(...)" --> We? Am I lucky enough to meet another Polish person here?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:20:20 AM by Jerzy_S »

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #1106 on: December 24, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
P.S. "(...)we have(...)" --> We? Am I lucky enough to meet another Polish person here?

Yep!  ;D And I can understand trying to keep Krakow alive - back when I was composing my first Poland post, I spent good several minutes trying to figure out how Gdańsk could survive the Rash, before realizing that combination of a seaport, an airport, railway hub, all the tourist locales and roughly half a million inhabitants would kill it several times over. But one can dream.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #1107 on: December 25, 2016, 01:50:58 AM »
If the Australian climate can't kill us I doubt anything can! I reckon there would have to be survivors on the Irish and Scots coastal islands (main problem there would be seals), or in the highlands. I wonder what would happen to 'the ruined abandoned Blaskets' off the coast of Kerry? They might suddenly become very desirable real estate, once the political reasons to depopulate the islands were gone.

And since in many of the Celtic areas the magic never really disappeared in the first place, it might come back quite strongly.

Oh god I hope the celtic people's show up as a later adventure in the comic. They're so wounderfull I cannot put into words how irish humor is the best.

"Who are you? What's your name? What time is it you silver haired girl?"

"I uh...two minutes past 12?"

"Aw s***e I thought it was one minute were screwed!"
-----
"What are we having for breakfast? Is your boyfriend gonna draw another square thingy in the ground that explodes? I haven't seen any thing explosion since Ted played with that landmine!"

Róisín

« Reply #1108 on: December 25, 2016, 02:15:57 AM »
I'm rather fond of the Celtic races myself, being an Irish-Australian from a family that retained much of the old languages, music and folklore. My kin are scattered across all the Celtic lands as well as here, and yes, the sense of humour remains with us.

CuteAndSmallFox

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1109 on: December 31, 2016, 05:27:19 AM »
Hello its my firts post and english us not my main language so if I will make some mistakes then sorry.

While reading this topic I though about one scenario. What if in post-rash world there is a small group of survivors on Sardenga island? Maybe not controling the whole island but most of it. There could be still uninfected animals and it schould be easy to grow food.
But what about protection from beasts and trolls? Well in comic mages power are based on scandinavian mitology if I remeber correct or I just made a huge mistake. So what you say about mages that uses the most common religion in Europe? Magic based on christianity. It may sounds weird but it can work. Troll and beast would be called demons and mages will be called exorcist for example and in most cases it would be used for defensive purpose or blessing.
Well this whole thing may be a bad idea but it may work what you guys think?
Speaks :poland::england:
Learning :germany:
WantToLearn :japan: