Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 75167 times)

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
I found the most adorable comic about hockey players and pie It's called Check,Please? I can't say much more in fear of spoilers, but it's not that long and I highly recommend it.

http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/57705111693
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, Misea.  Unfortunately, apostrophes break the Spoiler code so it won't open.  (No other punctuation seems to break spoilers like that.)  Want to rephrase?  Otherwise, we can see your recommendations by quoting the post.

Fixed T_T It's times like these that I wish I wasn't so adamant on writing things in Proper English Grammar
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

kirvel

« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2015, 05:56:16 AM »
Pretty sure this thread is dead already, but anyway:
-SSSS and aRTD, of course

-Bad Machinery
British detective teens. Weekdays.

-Destroy History
Relatively new, a woman who goes back in time to complete missions. Saturdays.

-Solstoria
A girl goes on a quest to become a knight.

-Ava's Demon
Gorgeous art and format, comparable with SSSS. Sci-Fi, a girl on a quest. Mon/Thu

-Cucumber Quest
Bunny kids save the world. ADORABLE.

-Scandinavia and the World
cute, Danish and about country stereotypes. Wed.

TAPASTIC: I recommend you all go on Tapastic and browse the comics there!

-Year in Hereafter
Finnish mythology, two men, reminiscent of aRTD. Love the art.

-Anti-Social Media
Slice of life of a high schooler

-Mini Comics
by Mikiko. Supercute slice of life

-The Little Things
Chibi slice of life comic.

-Blackberry Tea
A gorgeous shoujo-style story. Love the storyline.

OTL yeah bye

John Candlebury

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • No John, you are the demons
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Fixed T_T It's times like these that I wish I wasn't so adamant on writing things in Proper English Grammar

You can get around that by writing "\'" instead of the apostrophe. Like this:

Code: [Select]
[spoiler=Apostrophes\']
Spoiler TEXT![/spoiler]

Spoiler: Apostrophes\' • show

Spoiler TEXT!

--

Anyhow, now for what I really wanted to say:

Can anybody recommend some good space opera or hard-scifi webcomics? Or in general Scifi webcomics of the kind that involves alien colonies and spaceships?

For what I've managed o find there's a sever lack of both genres, the only ones I know of are:
Cassiopeia Quinn
Ava's Demon
Mare Internum
Terra (which I don't really like)

But I'm pretty sure there must be more than those few.

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
I have no idea if this has been recommended before, I've read it in one day, archive is just long enough for a nice read: BACK.
http://backcomic.com/ > It seems to be a western, but wait no it has some apocalyptic elements, and magic, humor, and umm... A little bit of everything. Drawing style is simple but effective. Also includes quite an interesting main character.

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
HEYYY ive been meaning to drop by this thread so HERE I AM.....i love webcomics okay. ill try not to repeat any that have already been mentioned, but forgive me if i slip up!

JUNE
a surreal horror webcomic about a boy with a bag over his head looking for his mom in a wonderfully illustrated hellscape; the black and white makes for a very creepy atmosphere, and it has fantastic aesthetic, characters, and story. ive reread it multiple times because its really, really great! by far one of my favorite webcomics, and a big inspiration to me!!

SHOOTAROUND
recommended by curry from jesty, a really lovely take on a zombie apocalypse involving a group of girls and their coach; big focus on character development and interaction, really cute art style, INCREDIBLY diverse cast of characters, all of whom are extremely lovable; i cant gush enough about this webcomic okay its charming and funny and can still get heavy without feeling forced and awkward, and just as quick whip around back to comedy and its REALLY WONDERFUL

SAINT FOR RENT
this has been mentioned here but i need to rec it too because its another one thats been a huuuuge influence on me; the setting is an inn for time travelers, a slice-of-life that is quickly getting deeper. outstanding art and writing, i always love to reread it whether to catch things i missed in story or just admire the art!!

NOT DRUNK ENOUGH
from the same artist of 'HANNA IS NOT A BOY'S NAME'!!!! their art is exceptional, and they have incredible control over color and REALLY interesting paneling - i love it i love it i love it!! a repair job goes horribly awry and our protagonist gets locked in with monsters and mad scientists and body horror, oh my! the comedy is great and the dialogue and art is even better, please give this one a read!

TODD ALLISON AND THE PETUNIA VIOLET
if youre not reading tapv i....have no idea what to even say......it has wonderful character interaction, intriguing story, great humor, and the artist is really sweet!! the premise is 20th century melbourne, which is being hit by a serial arsonist. petunia elkwood gets mixed up with her eccentric neighbor todd allison, while the both of them try to figure out just what the Heck is going on! i in no way do it justice, but so much is going on its hard to capture the brilliance of tapv GO READ IT!!! RIGHT MEOW!!

THE BOY WHO FELL
ren falls into hell! he enters a bloodthirsty killing contest to get out of hell!! i really like tbwf - its much more anime than the usual webcomics i read, but i think it really lends itself to the atmosphere, especially when you see babyfaced ren all covered in blood. it can be almost painfully trope-y, but i actually find that super charming LOL;; im SUPER interested to see what everything is leading up to, what all the characters motives are, and what the deal is with all these mysteries, because there sure are a lot of them!!! i would TOTALLY recommend it, demi really knows where shes going with this story and im excited to be taken on this wild ride
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:50:29 PM by callipygous »

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
HEYYY ive been meaning to drop by this thread so HERE I AM.....i love webcomics okay. ill try not to repeat any that have already been mentioned, but forgive me if i slip up!

JUNE
a surreal horror webcomic about a boy with a bag over his head looking for his mom in a wonderfully illustrated hellscape; the black and white makes for a very creepy atmosphere, and it has fantastic aesthetic, characters, and story. ive reread it multiple times because its really, really great! by far one of my favorite webcomics, and a big inspiration to me!!

SHOOTAROUND
recommended by curry from jesty, a really lovely take on a zombie apocalypse involving a group of girls and their coach; big focus on character development and interaction, really cute art style, INCREDIBLY diverse cast of characters, all of whom are extremely lovable; i cant gush enough about this webcomic okay its charming and funny and can still get heavy without feeling forced and awkward, and just as quick whip around back to comedy and its REALLY WONDERFUL

SAINT FOR RENT
this has been mentioned here but i need to rec it too because its another one thats been a huuuuge influence on me; the setting is an inn for time travelers, a slice-of-life that is quickly getting deeper. outstanding art and writing, i always love to reread it whether to catch things i missed in story or just admire the art!!

NOT DRUNK ENOUGH
from the same artist of 'HANNA IS NOT A BOY'S NAME'!!!! their art is exceptional, and they have incredible control over color and REALLY interesting paneling - i love it i love it i love it!! a repair job goes horribly awry and our protagonist gets locked in with monsters and mad scientists and body horror, oh my! the comedy is great and the dialogue and art is even better, please give this one a read!

if youre not reading tapv i....have no idea what to even say......it has wonderful character interaction, intriguing story, great humor, and the artist is really sweet!! the premise is 20th century melbourne, which is being hit by a serial arsonist. petunia elkwood gets mixed up with her eccentric neighbor todd allison, while the both of them try to figure out just what the Heck is going on! i in no way do it justice, but so much is going on its hard to capture the brilliance of tapv GO READ IT!!! RIGHT MEOW!!

THE BOY WHO FELL
ren falls into hell! he enters a bloodthirsty killing contest to get out of hell!! i really like tbwf - its much more anime than the usual webcomics i read, but i think it really lends itself to the atmosphere, especially when you see babyfaced ren all covered in blood. it can be almost painfully trope-y, but i actually find that super charming LOL;; im SUPER interested to see what everything is leading up to, what all the characters motives are, and what the deal is with all these mysteries, because there sure are a lot of them!!! i would TOTALLY recommend it, demi really knows where shes going with this story and im excited to be taken on this wild ride

oKAY IF ANYBODY READS SHOOTAROUND PLEASE MESSAGE ME TO TALK ABOUT IT BECAUSE I LOVE IT SO MUCH?? WHAT A GOOD?? WHAT A GREAT??I'M ALSO READING SAINT FOR RENT AND I CAN SECOND THAT IT'S SO GOOD
YEET

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2015, 12:17:57 AM »

JUNE

SHOOTAROUND

SAINT FOR RENT

NOT DRUNK ENOUGH

THE BOY WHO FELL

SHOOTAROYND YES AAAAAAASAHHHHHHH
AND SFR, AND TAPV, AND THE BOY WHO FELL, AGAHAHAG REN IS A CUTIE, ALL THE CHARACTERS IN THESE ARE GREAT
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Shaula

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:13 AM »
And I have found where to come the next time I'm out of books!  Excellent ;D

And I have a few to add as well:

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire -- It starts out looking like a punny newspaper comic about a bachelor seer and his cat. Then an ugly lady curses the seer for telling the truth (she asked the classic fairest one of them all question) and adventures evolve from there. The plot gets serious, but it never forgets to occasionally do something just because it would be cool or funny, and the puns stay. Bonus: it's complete for now, so no waiting required! Warning: language and themes can cross over into adult, but not much more than Girl Genius or XKCD. The author's new comic Star Power has cleaner art (has a separate artist) and a good story as well so far (or I'm just biased because the main character is an astronomer) but I prefer DD for its ability to not take itself so seriously all the time.

Archipelago -- It already got mentioned, but it's my second favorite active comic, so posting it again. A girl finds a boy washed up on the beach, the boy turns out to be possessed by a demon, but even that doesn't make him the strangest thing out there, and the real demon in the story is actually human in origin.

Q2Q -- This one is an XKCD for anyone who has worked backstage at a theater of any level, and for actors who can take a joke.
Native: :usa:
Barely Learning: :france: :sign: -- --- .-. ... .
Someday: :japan:

:chap6::chap7::chap8:

loki

• Scout
  • santas goin NUTS
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
i read so many webcomics it's insane

a list! (besides ssss)

-the property of hate
-paranatural
-prague race
-monsterkind
-demon street
-wilde life
-lost nightmare
-kappa
-aRTD (in the process of)
-and hella more i cant remember.  these are all 10/10 strongly recommend you start reading these if you dont already :3

there are SOOOO mnay more i need to read, tho.  seriously.
(ㅇㅅㅇ❀)

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2015, 05:14:16 AM »
i read so many webcomics it's insane

a list! (besides ssss)

-the property of hate
-paranatural
-prague race
-monsterkind
-demon street
-wilde life
-lost nightmare
-kappa
-aRTD (in the process of)
-and hella more i cant remember.  these are all 10/10 strongly recommend you start reading these if you dont already :3

there are SOOOO mnay more i need to read, tho.  seriously.

Pragueparanaturalhighfive! o/ love those webcomics. (Psst do you read Gunnerkrigg court? You should like it if you like the other ones) ;)

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »
I just found a webcomic called Hero Oh Hero ( http://www.neorice.com/hoh_1 ) last night and lost an hour of my life.... (well spent hah)  It's completely drawn in pixel art, which I thought was pretty cool and works really well with the story.  At first I was like meh, but pretty soon I was laughing my butt off.  I stopped at chp three... I'm trying to pace myself but we all know how that goes PFFFFFFfff

Anyway, thought I would share.  :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01:

Avatar made by the most awesome Tap.

Ren

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2015, 12:23:54 AM »
Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
Has anyone mentioned this one yet? 

The Prophecy of the Circle: http://www.prophecyofthecircle.com/comic/prologue/

The art is absolutely beautiful, inks and watercolors, but the story line is absolutely addicting.  The world that this artist has creative is outstanding.  I can't wait for new pages now, and to see the conclusion one day....  Also, the artist updates twice a week.

And surely someone has mentioned Skin Deephttp://www.skindeepcomic.com/archive/issue-1-cover/

At first I wasn't too enthused about the art itself, it was just okay (I really have no room to critique, I can't draw faces either) but the story was addicting enough for me to keep reading.  Like all webcomic artists, her art only got better and better.  Each new page is a treat now.  Again, another outstanding example of worldbuilding, and a story that has keep me reading for over two years now.  She updates every Tuesday.

Enjoy!  :)

meshebe

• Ranger
  • altruistic idiot
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
I have no idea if this has been recommended before, I've read it in one day, archive is just long enough for a nice read: BACK.
http://backcomic.com/ > It seems to be a western, but wait no it has some apocalyptic elements, and magic, humor, and umm... A little bit of everything. Drawing style is simple but effective. Also includes quite an interesting main character.

Wolfie, I just read BACK, and I love it so far! XD  Thanks for the recommendation!!!