Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 85004 times)

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
So, while taking a break from stressing about my maths test, I decided to go through this entire thread, and I found this:
I hadn't seen this mentioned before, but I just HAVE to give a plug to my favorite webcomics of all time. Seriously, this has set the standard for me in terms of writing and storytelling.

The Less than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal takes place over ten days as medical student Amal comes out to his family, calls off his arranged marriage, and makes a drunken pact with a stranger in a bar to drive to Providence from San Francisco. That stranger is TJ, who... is really hard to describe in one word.
It's so much more than a road trip story - the characters are so fleshed out, they feel like real people, the art is great, just... guh this comic. There's occasionally some NSFW bits, but it's not gratuitous.

I just

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RECOMMENDING THIS SOLO

I LOVE IT

IT BROUGHT ME HAPPINESS WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED (aka maths are stupid and I'm using this comic as a carrot to keep me going)

EmmaC

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
well, I just discovered SSSS who just stole my heart but here some webcomics I love:

- The Challenges of Zona: I love it because if at first you think 'Oh, eh, that's not a serious webcomic' the more you read the more you appreciate the depth of the characters.
- Least I could do: eh... not always safe for work, funny, satirical
- The Order of the Stick: for those who love RPG, this is one of those comics that have fun with role playing... and not jsut with that!
- Girls with Slingshot: not always safe for work but a very funny comic on people who have lives... and can hear plant and have goopy cats....
- A girl and her fed: funny, intersting take on ghost...
- Drowtales: going a little bit dark now, but a very interesting take on the Drow elves.
- Beyond the Veil : in hiatus for the moment. Love this comic though so I'll wait.
- Girl Genius (a tad too long for me now... seems it will never end).
Fluent in :france:
Becoming fluent in english from :canada: (I learned there are differences!!!)
A long time ago in a far away galaxy :germany:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
So, while taking a break from stressing about my maths test, I decided to go through this entire thread, and I found this:
I just

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RECOMMENDING THIS SOLO

I LOVE IT

IT BROUGHT ME HAPPINESS WHEN ALL ELSE FAILED (aka maths are stupid and I'm using this comic as a carrot to keep me going)

:D I'm so glad! It really does not get the recognition it deserves I think~ <3
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
I hadn't seen this mentioned before, but I just HAVE to give a plug to my favorite webcomics of all time. Seriously, this has set the standard for me in terms of writing and storytelling.

The Less than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal takes place over ten days as medical student Amal comes out to his family, calls off his arranged marriage, and makes a drunken pact with a stranger in a bar to drive to Providence from San Francisco. That stranger is TJ, who... is really hard to describe in one word.
It's so much more than a road trip story - the characters are so fleshed out, they feel like real people, the art is great, just... guh this comic. There's occasionally some NSFW bits, but it's not gratuitous.

Holy moly, TJ and Amal is good!  I had to cut myself off after 11 chapters so as not to spend all day on it!   Thanks to Solovei for the orig. recommendation and Sigrid Marie for reminding me.

I live in the Bay Area and often drive up I-80 to Tahoe, so I can see how *right* the artist got all the details.  I love precision and realism, even in fantasy-based narratives (which is one of the things I like about SSSS).  Plus, the character interaction is fascinating even if I don't yet see a Larger Design in where the story is going.  (I'm sure there is a Larger Design.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »
Holy moly, TJ and Amal is good!  I had to cut myself off after 11 chapters so as not to spend all day on it!   Thanks to Solovei for the orig. recommendation and Sigrid Marie for reminding me.

I live in the Bay Area and often drive up I-80 to Tahoe, so I can see how *right* the artist got all the details.  I love precision and realism, even in fantasy-based narratives (which is one of the things I like about SSSS).  Plus, the character interaction is fascinating even if I don't yet see a Larger Design in where the story is going.  (I'm sure there is a Larger Design.)
I'm not sure what you mean by Larger Design? It's a road-trip story, so obviously the story is going to Providence  ;)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »
I just meant, more than "Stuff happens" and "more stuff happens" and "TJ enjoys taking a shower" and "Amal fields phone calls."  Presumably there's a payoff in terms of the character arcs (to borrow a pretentious term from TV writers). 

Not to say I'm not enjoying the "stuff happens" part...!  (Including gratuitous Amal exposure.  ;))
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
I just meant, more than "Stuff happens" and "more stuff happens" and "TJ enjoys taking a shower" and "Amal fields phone calls."  Presumably there's a payoff in terms of the character arcs (to borrow a pretentious term from TV writers). 

Not to say I'm not enjoying the "stuff happens" part...!  (Including gratuitous Amal exposure.  ;))
It's definitely a very character-driven story (no pun intended) so I guess, the arcs mostly play out in their interactions with each other. But yes, the first few chapters are a little slow to start off as the guys are getting to know each other and start actually interacting. There's also little hints that foreshadow future developments, which I had to go back and look at again before going "oh so THAT'S  why _______"

Also, you mentioned liking the super-realistic landscapes! There's a Notes page that meticulously documents most of the comic, locations, objects, etc...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
- Girls with Slingshot: not always safe for work but a very funny comic on people who have lives... and can hear plant and have goopy cats....

Last strip is tomorrow, are you prepared?  I'm not :(

EmmaC

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
Last strip is tomorrow, are you prepared?  I'm not :(
Nooooooooooooooooo  :(  :'(

No I'm not prepared at all... I suppose we will come here and weep together and remember the old days... and go back to read it again from the beginning!!! ;D
Fluent in :france:
Becoming fluent in english from :canada: (I learned there are differences!!!)
A long time ago in a far away galaxy :germany:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2015, 05:34:29 AM »
I've already re-read the whole thing in preparation.  I am going to miss this part of my daily routine.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
Well recently binged my whole way through Guilded Age and Dumbing of Age, both were highly enjoyable.  I think Dumbing of Age will be taking the daily slot previously held by Girls With Slingshots, while Guilded Age can go into the archive buffering pile.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
Okay so there is this one webcomic
that is a pokemon/magical girl animes crossover
it's absolutely ridiculous and I love it:
Black Adventures
the first comic is based on the Black/White games, and is completed. A comic based on XY has just begun.
The first pages are a tad confusing because of Reasons, but it gets more and more coherent and story-like after a while!!
I hardly get any of the anime references but it's still fun.
(not recommended for people who are uncomfortable with crossdressing and stuff, ehe)

and
one super obscure one
for those who can read Norwegian
it's super old and is a Classic on this norwegian webcomic site I used to frequent as a very small child (is it even still active. wow it is. who knew)
it's a crudely-drawn-in-MSpaint comic about Loki and the norse gods
here it is
(and here is a spinoff series that is in my opinion even funnier)

hahahaha this is the worst contribution to this thread
you'll know where to find me.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »
I dunno if anybody's recommended this one before now, but this is my second favorite webcomic, hands down. Darkly funny, with a bizarre and wonderful art style, and no real need to start from the beginning, I present to you... http://eqcomics.com/ - Edmund Finney's Quest to Find the Meaning of Life.
And it's kid friendly! Totally! Just look here! http://eqcomics.com/2011/06/14/supply-and-demand/

The only unfortunate thing is that the author is currently very, very busy with real-life stuff, and hasn't updated since last June...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:49:59 PM by Adrai Thell »
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
and
one super obscure one
for those who can read Norwegian
it's super old and is a Classic on this norwegian webcomic site I used to frequent as a very small child (is it even still active. wow it is. who knew)
it's a crudely-drawn-in-MSpaint comic about Loki and the norse gods
here it is
(and here is a spinoff series that is in my opinion even funnier)

hahahaha this is the worst contribution to this thread

oh my gosh

HAIZ

HAIZ, WHAT AM I READING

I AM IN TEARS

*spends the rest of the night snickering over super awful yet hilarious webcomic*

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
oh my gosh

HAIZ

HAIZ, WHAT AM I READING

I AM IN TEARS

*spends the rest of the night snickering over super awful yet hilarious webcomic*

YOU ARE READING A RELIC FROM YE OLDEN TIMES
from 2006

it's even possible to find my awful attempt at a webcomic on that godforsaken site, but I will never reveal my username so. yeah, no.

(there are some other good ones on there, like Reveland, Mjuu, Optipess, Wyyrd, Umbraco, and.... oooh gosh another awful MS paint one that used to be my favourite, Ulf-kurt)
you'll know where to find me.