Author Topic: Character Development: Lalli  (Read 65531 times)

Vixy

• Super-Newbie
Re: Character Development: Lalli
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »
HOW DARE YOU.
(joking :P)
FOR SHAME!

Meow :3

MissTrips

• Super-Newbie
  • Fnord
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »
*waves hello*

One thing I thought I'd bring up is Lalli's spellcasting.  He goes from very terse short statements to beautiful, lyrical chants.  Some of it may be rote teaching, but from the translation threads, it's shown that his spell to the moon was crafted taking into account that he's far from his home grounds and exactly what he wants the moonlight for.

His second spell starts with an eloquent plea for clear radio air and when he doesn't get it, he adds in a threat and finally delivers a big spiritual whack strong enough that the people outside noticed.

So it's possible that some of his communication problems with people stem from the fact that he has so little day to day contact with others that most of his speech patterns are rooted in his spells. And if Onni was his tutor in spellcasting, then he probably only spent short lessons getting the necessary basics down, since Lalli is a scout and Onni won't step foot out of the gates.  So it's easier for him to point out that this place 'felt wierd' to a non-mage like Tuuri than for him to give an accurate discription of what he sensed that takes 4 stanzas worth of words only for her to not grasp anything other than 'it was wierd' because she's not a mage.  Not to mention speaking about a bad place that accurately may have nasty consquences.  Spirits *hear* Lalli when he's chanting.

So, since Lalli is so poorly socialized, and he's a mage/scout for whom very precise language is a must, he falls back on short, terse statements or maningful glares and firm finger pointing to get his message across to people who even if they speak his language, have no idea what he's trying to say.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
*waves hello*

One thing I thought I'd bring up is Lalli's spellcasting.  He goes from very terse short statements to beautiful, lyrical chants.  Some of it may be rote teaching, but from the translation threads, it's shown that his spell to the moon was crafted taking into account that he's far from his home grounds and exactly what he wants the moonlight for.

His second spell starts with an eloquent plea for clear radio air and when he doesn't get it, he adds in a threat and finally delivers a big spiritual whack strong enough that the people outside noticed.

So it's possible that some of his communication problems with people stem from the fact that he has so little day to day contact with others that most of his speech patterns are rooted in his spells. And if Onni was his tutor in spellcasting, then he probably only spent short lessons getting the necessary basics down, since Lalli is a scout and Onni won't step foot out of the gates.  So it's easier for him to point out that this place 'felt wierd' to a non-mage like Tuuri than for him to give an accurate discription of what he sensed that takes 4 stanzas worth of words only for her to not grasp anything other than 'it was wierd' because she's not a mage.  Not to mention speaking about a bad place that accurately may have nasty consquences.  Spirits *hear* Lalli when he's chanting.

So, since Lalli is so poorly socialized, and he's a mage/scout for whom very precise language is a must, he falls back on short, terse statements or maningful glares and firm finger pointing to get his message across to people who even if they speak his language, have no idea what he's trying to say.

Ahh! This! I agree soo much!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »
Ahh! This! I agree soo much!

Ditto - that is some very good analysis and speculation!
My one-and-only: :uk:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2015, 11:17:41 PM »
Yeah, earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that they prefer things rooted in real life versus supernatural stuff. But in my world view/experiences (and in the canon of the world SSSS is set in), supernatural things do affect stuff, even if it's more subtle than in most fantasy.

I think that as long as you have proof from the character's actions or "word of god", you can interpret a character a lot of different ways. I also think that there is some overlap where mage stuff could meet up with (possibly) autism, or just poor socialization.

I also think this is another reason Lalli is likened to cats as well. In many cultures, cats are "half through the veil" or the like and in a way, Lalli seems like that too.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

MissTrips

• Super-Newbie
  • Fnord
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
*nods*  I always like things being a little bit more magical than reality.  And as for Lalli's catness, since the Finnish ways say that a person has three souls, it could make sense that Lalli's third soul, the itse or personality is a cat's soul.  His luonto soul drives his skills as a mage and scout.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
In many cultures, cats are "half through the veil" or the like and in a way, Lalli seems like that too.
Yeah, especially in the first few chapters when he was half-asleep and so not real aware of the real world but knew what was going on with trolls. And I agree that the line between "autistic" and "antisocial" is reeeeally fuzzy, and he could fall on either side.
OK, there's my two cents.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
Given that Lalli had no trouble recognizing Emil's distress on page 172 and responding appropriately (inosfar as he extrapolated that the state of Emil's hair was important to him, from page 127) I would hesitate to place Lalli on the spectrum. I think that the bulk of his behavior can be explained by the fact that the poor kid is the only one who does not speak some Scandinavian language. Having found myself several times in situations where I was the only non-bilingual member of a group, I can sympathize---the poor kid's probably a lot more miserable and homesick than he lets on. He is obviously sleep-deprived (even more so considering he has to be both the night and day scout) and his personality strikes me as very easy-going and reserved, which would emphasize his lack of social experience, making him seen more 'antisocial' than he is.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Given that Lalli had no trouble recognizing Emil's distress on page 172 and responding appropriately (inosfar as he extrapolated that the state of Emil's hair was important to him, from page 127) I would hesitate to place Lalli on the spectrum. I think that the bulk of his behavior can be explained by the fact that the poor kid is the only one who does not speak some Scandinavian language. Having found myself several times in situations where I was the only non-bilingual member of a group, I can sympathize---the poor kid's probably a lot more miserable and homesick than he lets on. He is obviously sleep-deprived (even more so considering he has to be both the night and day scout) and his personality strikes me as very easy-going and reserved, which would emphasize his lack of social experience, making him seen more 'antisocial' than he is.
^what Random said was what I actually meant :P
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
I too subscribe to the view that a lot of Lalli's quirks are associated with his lifestyle - i.e. spending the graveyard shift in the woods and not really seeing anyone aside from cats, beast/trolls, and his family - that is, Tuuri and Onni (until shown otherwise). He's kind of got his own beat going and is development will be centered about how he will slowly integrate into the group.

I work alone. I do my own thing. Scouts work alone. That's how his role - and his persona -have been defined so far. That's also probably what's going to change, too.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I agree with a lot of the thoughts posted on this thread as well, especially with RandomTexanReader. As much as I can see why people might contemplate Lalli being autistic, a lot of his actions can be attributed to him being extremely introverted - due to his upbringing and just because that's what his personality is like -, a man of very few words, and simply left out due to being unable to communicate with anyone but his sister. One of the things which puts autism in a bit of a grey area for me is because of his interactions with Emil (mentioned by RandomTexanReader) and Tuuri; on pages 189-90 he was able to hold a perfectly normal conversation and even cracked a joke, albeit a very sarcastic one! ("What do you think Onni is doing right now?" "Crying.")

So far Lalli doesn't really seem that antisocial to me, just introverted and rather sleep deprived. His personality seems very laid back, willing to ignore snide comments to avoid conflict - he wasn't annoyed by Emil not believing in his powers and apparently trying to start a fight (pg 135), unlike Tuuri - and he is happy to forgo a sentence when a single word/shoulder shrug would suffice.
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
I am not sure Lalli was being sarcastic with the crying comment. Somewhere in Minna's notes she said Onni cries a lot and would be worthless. :D (the crying comment is one of my favorite moments though)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
he wasn't annoyed by Emil not believing in his powers and apparently trying to start a fight (pg 135), unlike Tuuri - and he is happy to forgo a sentence when a single word/shoulder shrug would suffice.
He doesn't understand Swedish. Emil's insult, if it were one, fell on uncomprehending ears in Lalli's case.

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
He doesn't understand Swedish. Emil's insult, if it were one, fell on uncomprehending ears in Lalli's case.

Hmmm yeah, although I think he could probably have an inkling of what was going on from Tuuri's tone when she asked him to "show Emil a little spell". I could be wrong, however :)

I am not sure Lalli was being sarcastic with the crying comment. Somewhere in Minna's notes she said Onni cries a lot and would be worthless. :D (the crying comment is one of my favorite moments though)

(Edit: Oops, I missed this reply earlier D: I didn't want to make a new post so I'm just going to add it to this one...)
Actually you're right, sarcasm was probably not the best way to describe that comment :/ It was still a rather dry Lalli-style joke, though  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:25:35 PM by KauniitaUnia »
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:14 PM »
I tend to see Lalli as the closest thing we have to a successor to Hannu in this comic. Or at least that several personality quirks that defined Hannu live on with Lalli.

I dunno. Maybe those are Finnish things.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...