Author Topic: Character Development: Lalli  (Read 65527 times)

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
Re: Character Development: Lalli
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:08 AM »
Acquaintances do handshakes here, yes. The same for older and/or not-so-familiar-relatives (or someone you REALLY want to show respect to). But friends hug, kiss on the cheeck or pat, no matter the age.

I don't think Tuuri would mind any handshakes, though. It just looked like Lalli has never noticed/done the whole handshake thing.

Well there you go that isn't really considered normal at all around here really. For example whenever my uncles come to visit us we really never do any handshakes or that kind things. Really we just greet verbally not by touch.

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »
Well there you go that isn't really considered normal at all around here really. For example whenever my uncles come to visit us we really never do any handshakes or that kind things. Really we just greet verbally not by touch.

Learning about other cultures is so interesting! Where are you from?

I wonder are the greeting rituals in post-rash Finland. We have seen the very open and touch-y Tuuri, who does not hesitate to give hugs and touch new people, and the complete opposite: Lalli. Maybe when we meet Onni things will clear up...?
However, now that I'm thinking about it again, Lalli doesn't really hesitate to touch other people, either, he usually just has no reason to attemp to touch, so he does nothing. He has patted Emil on a few occasions though.
Fluent:
OK:

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
Learning about other cultures is so interesting! Where are you from?

I wonder are the greeting rituals in post-rash Finland. We have seen the very open and touch-y Tuuri, who does not hesitate to give hugs and touch new people, and the complete opposite: Lalli. Maybe when we meet Onni things will clear up...?
However, now that I'm thinking about it again, Lalli doesn't really hesitate to touch other people, either, he usually just has no reason to attemp to touch, so he does nothing. He has patted Emil on a few occasions though.

Well as one can guess from my name im from Finland and more speficially the grand province of northern savonias capital Kuopio.

There are of course some regional differences between people from north, south, west and east. There for example is a saying that you never get a straight answer from a true savonian and so on. The ground rule seems to be that more swedish influence means that the person is usually way more talkative and open about things while more inland you go you get more and more rough and quiet. So Tuuri being more with the scandinavians means that she seemingly is way more socieable than Lalli and propably is more accepting on physical contact. Still finns usually want to minimalize any awkwardness so if you came to hug me on the street i would probly just hug back and try to go along with the odd circumstances rather than making a big number out of it. Mind you would get some of the many nonverbal hints that i feel uncomfortable.

Heres a handy article that explains some things for other people and gives the basics http://www.intercultures.ca/cil-cai/ci-ic-eng.asp?iso=fi

Still i think all finns are quite friendly once you manage to break the ice and here people often are quite eager to talk if you find a common tone to talk about. This of course means that our friend Lalli is having a bit off and hardtime doing that since you can't really express yourself fully with pure gestures but i think once we get braidy in the mix there might be some communication in form of the spirit world.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:46:40 AM by FinnishViking »

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

Heres a handy article that explains some things for other people and gives the basics http://www.intercultures.ca/cil-cai/ci-ic-eng.asp?iso=fi

I think my favorite part of that whole page was how Finns tend to assume nobody knows where Finland is or even that it exists... much like Canada!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
I think my favorite part of that whole page was how Finns tend to assume nobody knows where Finland is or even that it exists... much like Canada!

Well i guess some people really don't. This reddit page is either going to make you laugh or blow your mind. For me it did them bouth.

http://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2qjohv/what_did_your_parents_show_you_to_do_that_you/cn6pn30

SeaAngel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »
Well i guess some people really don't. This reddit page is either going to make you laugh or blow your mind. For me it did them bouth.

http://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2qjohv/what_did_your_parents_show_you_to_do_that_you/cn6pn30

I found that depressing :-/ It's.... crazy to believe that a whole country does not exist. That its language, history, tradition, music, cuisine, mythology, achievements are all a fraud, it's... I can't even... Ugh.

....There is also the belief that CANADA does not exist?
Fluent:
OK:

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
I found that depressing :-/ It's.... crazy to believe that a whole country does not exist. That its language, history, tradition, music, cuisine, mythology, achievements are all a fraud, it's... I can't even... Ugh.

Really it just makes me chucle because if you wilfully deny so much then just leave them be. Let them have their little bubble of ignorance and at least they have a non harmful past time which the rest of us can ignore. When this ended up in the finland subreddit most people just reacted with self irony and remarks on how true this and generally just had a laugh so i don't think anyones feelings were hurt so i think it's just fine.

Now i have never heard of a conspiracy about Canadas existance (luckily), but i imagine someone has something like that brewed up as well. Think about it, why would the 50 states revolt against their oppressive british overlords and Canada just sat there? How come there would be two english speaking nations side by side, sharing a continent somehow spawning from the same setlers and breaking away from the same fathernation? No... No i don't want to go there. Too dark of a place for me.

But after reading that i do admit to checking spotify for my finnish music and listening to it long to the night while reading kalevala and making "finland stronk" crowls ;D

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »

When I lived in Russia, so... from birth to about 11-12, I had no idea Canada existed. I hadn't heard of it before meeting someone from there. I just thought that entire bit was USA.

I think, because America is so pervasive in spreading their pop culture everywhere that most people kind of forget that Canada is even there. There's the joke that Canada is  "America's hat" which kind of summarizes this US-centric belief pretty well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:18:46 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
When I lived in Russia, so... from birth to about 11-12, I had no idea Canada existed. I hadn't heard of it before meeting someone from there. I just thought that entire bit was USA.

I think, because America is so pervasive in spreading their pop culture everywhere that most people kind of forget that Canada is even there. There's the joke that Canada is  "America's hat" which kind of summarizes this US-centric belief pretty well.

Really? I've never heard that joke before, though I think I did hear one once about a family? I guess for my family it helps that Canada is a two hour drive away and therefore pretty hard to forget. (As for Finland, I mentioned it to my brother yesterday and he responded "Yes I know what Finland is, it's that place in England.")

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
10 years ago, when I first came to the internet, people thought Canada was fantasy land and did not exist. Igloos, moose and maple ? No way could that exist! The fact that I live here made them question a lot. Who was lying ? Me or their teachers ?

I'm pretty sure this is not part of the subject anymore....
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2015, 05:22:26 AM »
Unfortunately the links failed to copy properly - when you copy blocks of text from the discussion only the truncated links get copied, not the entire URL. You need to 'Copy link address' and paste each link separately, by hand! :(

Here's the full discussion, with links:

smjjames Uh, his hair is white, I think that's an art mistake?

minnasundberg
Haha, it's not white, it's light ashen, that's what it looks like in strong direct sunlight. I guess it hasn't been apparent until now since he's been wearing his hood this whole chapter. ;3 (And that's a relatively common hair color in Finland, certainly nothing remarkable or special.)

Frank Royce Harr
I knew it was pale, but not THAT pale.

Huh.

minnasundberg
Agh, I used to have a picture with a couple of guys with really close hair color to Lalli to show as an example since people have been asking about it before, but I've *sniff* lost it. ;_;

It's pretty close to this: Link

or this: Link

except with more of a dull grey tone like the youngster in the background here (actually that's like exactly Onni's hair color: Link

starfallz
Minna, this one? Link

minnasundberg Mod  starfallz • 3 days ago
Whoo, that's the one! (Gosh, how did you remember? It's been like ages since I linked it in the comments. xD)

starfallz
Been digging up details for the wiki. :D
My one-and-only: :uk:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
I've just realised - Lalli got Tuuri's note to meet his boss etc to get this expedition started.  He saw the note when he came home after his shift. *What* shift?  If he'd resigned from his job, why was he out scouting at night?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
I've just realised, Lalli found Tuuri's note to meet the expedition boat as he came home from his shift. *What* shift?  He'd resigned, why was he out on night patrol anyway?

Yeah, I wondered about that myself.  Could his resignation not have taken effect until that day anyhow?  (Like giving 2 weeks' notice.)  But would he not have passed anyone saying, "Bye, good luck out there" or "Why on earth are you quitting?" or the like?  I guess Lalli really *does* work alone!

BTW, you accidentally double-posted.  You can delete the earlier (non-quoting) post if you like.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ammerynth

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
On page 79 http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=79 in the little 'twelve hours ago' panel, Tuuri asks Lalli if he's still going out to work, like she wasn't expecting him to be - so maybe he wasn't supposed to, but did anyway.
This sort of ties in to how he didn't really know what was going on, or that he was leaving, especially since he wasn't taking Tuuri seriously anyway. (See: "I thought it was one of those weird jokes you sometimes tell me that I don't understand")
Of course it's also possible that he did actually have to work that last shift, I just thought it might be worth considering.
Native: :uk:
Learning: :france: :sweden:
Survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2015, 06:53:17 PM »
Or he may have just forgotten. Just get up and do what you do every day because that is what you do.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: