Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 136949 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
NaNoWriMo
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:30:06 PM »
I've noticed that some of you are planning to participate in NaNoWriMo. Have you already participated before (and maybe even completed a novel)? How do you prepare for November?

I'd really like to participate, too, but haven't decided yet. I'll be writing on my master thesis until mid-December, so I'm already sitting in front of my laptop typing too much. On the other hand, I've got the routine now.  :P And I think the community spirit will be inspiring, so it doesn't seem a good idea to try "my own NaNoWriMo" in January or something like that. Maybe we could start a small writing community to encourage each other?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
I'd love to take part in NaNoWriMo. Even if I don't reach the goal, in the end it will have been fun! Never did it before (I only discovered what this super-famous NaNoWriMo thing was around February), but why not try? And a writing community looks like a great idea.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
I am tempted to try, but I don't know what to write.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
I'm much too slow and perfectionist for NaNoWriMo; I've been working on my novel since 2011 (it's in the editing stage now, so it *should* be finished this year).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
I'm much too slow and perfectionist for NaNoWriMo; I've been working on my novel since 2011 (it's in the editing stage now, so it *should* be finished this year).

Oooh, what about?
 Mostly quiet.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
It's about a misanthropic and prejudiced man who makes a last attempt to socialize and open to other people, because he's having hallucinations which he attributes to his prolongued state of solitude; this happens while the country around him is falling appart in civil war and religious strife. It's… not very happy or family friendly work.

I doubt it will be a big hit, so it probably won't get an English translation.

Nimphy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

Nuuu... Time to polish my French skills then!

I am tempted to try, but I don't know what to write.

How about a collection of poems? Or whatever you want to write?

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
How about a collection of poems? Or whatever you want to write?

But I want to write so many things! And I'll never reach any kind of goal if I try only poetry. True beauty in words is not achieved by quantity.

Also, I'm not that good.
 Mostly quiet.

Nimphy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
But I want to write so many things! And I'll never reach any kind of goal if I try only poetry. True beauty in words is not achieved by quantity.

Also, I'm not that good.

I know that sensation: wanting to write everything. Just pick one, there's lots of time! And you're right, some of the most best stories I've ever read were really short.

"Also, I'm not that good"... Okay, I'll try and avoid a rant on this, but how can you know if you don't even try? Is writing fun for you? Then it's enough! Who can say if you're "good"? No one! Art is so subjective that saying that a peace of art is "good" is impossible! Seriously, your poems are wonderful and I'm sure your prose will be, too. These are excuses, try! What would you lose if you didn't reach the goal? Nothing! So have fun writing!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »
It's about a misanthropic and prejudiced man who makes a last attempt to socialize and open to other people, because he's having hallucinations which he attributes to his prolongued state of solitude; this happens while the country around him is falling appart in civil war and religious strife. It's… not very happy or family friendly work.

So in other words, a cross between The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Cormac McCarthy's The Road.  (And maybe some Graham Greene for good measure.)

...This is absolutely none of my business, but you sound awfully pessimistic.  (Even more so in the Introduction Thread.)  Are you OK?  Self-doubt and gloom are inevitable hazards on the creative path, but I'd hate to see them ganging up to keep you from even pulling out of the driveway.  Yes, I am an American, a nation where optimism is pumped into the water supply like fluoride -- but I've also wrestled with depression and I know how it can distort a person's worldview.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
I know that sensation: wanting to write everything. Just pick one, there's lots of time! And you're right, some of the most best stories I've ever read were really short.

"Also, I'm not that good"... Okay, I'll try and avoid a rant on this, but how can you know if you don't even try? Is writing fun for you? Then it's enough! Who can say if you're "good"? No one! Art is so subjective that saying that a peace of art is "good" is impossible! Seriously, your poems are wonderful and I'm sure your prose will be, too. These are excuses, try! What would you lose if you didn't reach the goal? Nothing! So have fun writing!

Okay, that's not what I meant. I meant I'm not good enough at poetry to write more than a few poems a month. I'm not saying I'm a bad writer. I tent not to speak bad of myself, it's not healthy.
 Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
Yes, I am an American, a nation where optimism is pumped into the water supply like fluoride...

Ummm, now this really makes me think. What happens to these regions, where water seems to be drying up?

I got a look and nanowrimo. Thats sounds like a great project. One may write in Every language! Maybe I'll give it a try, even if I'm sure I won't finnish, because above 1500 words per day is rather tough. Also I'm not quiet sure wether I want to socialize on Nanowrimo which they recommend to do.

Maybe I'll use it as a diary substitute. There are so many crazy things taking place at work, maybe it will help writing about them changing what's happening to a more moderate way. Replacing the names of the people involved is the obvious thing to do. Also stuff my fellow trainees tell me would get their place. And yes, I would try in English because in that way I could improve my writing and vocab skills on a daily basis.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
Okay, that's not what I meant. I meant I'm not good enough at poetry to write more than a few poems a month. I'm not saying I'm a bad writer. I tent not to speak bad of myself, it's not healthy.

You're right there. On the other hand, singing one's own praises isn't easy and takes long. I'm still not easy on speaking good about things I am able to do well.

I would really like to read your stories on Nanowrimo so please, everyone, give it a try. Even, if you're not going to finish :).

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
So in other words, a cross between The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Cormac McCarthy's The Road.  (And maybe some Graham Greene for good measure.)

I'll confess to having read neither, but I am a slow reader and most of the books I read are from the first half of the 20th century.

...This is absolutely none of my business, but you sound awfully pessimistic.  (Even more so in the Introduction Thread.)  Are you OK?  Self-doubt and gloom are inevitable hazards on the creative path, but I'd hate to see them ganging up to keep you from even pulling out of the driveway.  Yes, I am an American, a nation where optimism is pumped into the water supply like fluoride -- but I've also wrestled with depression and I know how it can distort a person's worldview.

Thanks for worrying (really); I do have some moderate self-loathing issues, but they've been there long enough that I've learn to deal with them; they probably color my worldview (but then optimism too can color a worldview), but they don't get in the way of my writing —even if I thought my writing to be entirely worthless, I'll keep on writing, simply because I see no reason to stop. Really the main way in which my pessimism affects my life is that it makes me say dark things which worry people more than they ough to.

Though my offhand remark about the future success of my book is more realism than pessimism; what I'm writing is not in the current literary trends at all, and I am not involved in any way in the literary and cultural life that could build me a network of journalistic acquaintances; the chances that my book will meet anything more than polite indifference are objectively very low; not to say they are non-existent, but if it's a hit, it will be a surprise hit no one will have seen coming (not even myself).

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
Though my offhand remark about the future success of my book is more realism than pessimism; what I'm writing is not in the current literary trends at all, and I am not involved in any way in the literary and cultural life that could build me a network of journalistic acquaintances; the chances that my book will meet anything more than polite indifference are objectively very low; not to say they are non-existent, but if it's a hit, it will be a surprise hit no one will have seen coming (not even myself).

The important you write it down somewhere we can read it. Though my boyfriend would need to translate every bit 'cause I didn't take french classes. But I shouldn't press on about publishing if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information