Author Topic: Forum Secret Santa 2022  (Read 6722 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Forum Secret Santa 2022
« on: November 13, 2022, 11:59:49 PM »
:sparkle: :sparkle: Forum Secret Santa 2022 :sparkle: :sparkle:
:sparkle: Signups open now  :sparkle:
Hi folks! It's coming round to the end of the year again, so that means it's time for the forum secret santa, a time-honoured anonymous gift exchange and guessing game! Previous examples can be found here and here.

:sparkle: How do I join? :sparkle:

In order to join in on the festivities, you must make a post in this thread. In order to give your gifter a better idea of what you like, you could talk about some of your fan-related interests - what fandoms you're interested in, what pairings you enjoy, how much fluff or angst you like, or if you have a strong preference for fanart over fanfic. You can also mention any other interests or hobbies you might enjoy, like gardening or knitting or knowing way too much about different types of birds. Maybe your gifter has something in common!

Importantly, if there's anything you really don't want to recieve as a gift (content you don't like, any pairings that squick you out) please include that too if necessary, so your gifter can make sure you recieve a gift you love.

Signups close at midnight forum time on November 30th. I'll send out PMs the next day or two to let you know who your giftee is!

Make your gift! It can be anything - fanart, fanfic, poetry, a recipe, an choose-your-own adventure story - so long as it's something that you've made yourself. Remember to keep it a secret!

PM me your gift by midnight forum time on December 20th. On December 24 I'll send out all the gifts! Feel free to guess and speculate on who made what gift in the thread here, and if people still haven't guessed everything by December 31 I'll release the list of who made what gift!

:sparkle: Important Information :sparkle:

Please only sign up if you know you have time to make your gift! There's no trouble at all if things are too crazy this time of year and you don't have time.

If life stuff happens and you find yourself unable to make your gift in time, PM me as soon as you can so I can re-assign your gifter and giftee.

Also: Have fun! Be creative! Enjoy yourself! Best of luck to everyone!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Forum Secret Santa 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 04:22:23 AM »
I would love to join in! Main fandoms I enjoy are Minna’s work and Girl Genius, but I’m open to most things. Format of work doesn’t matter much, I’m not greatly into angst or cruelty for its own sake but don’t mind sad tales. I like art, music, humour, poetry, filk, stories or information. My interests are food, music (especially folk and filk but any music is good), brewing, perfumery, gardening, storytelling, bushcraft and wilderness skills, mining and geology, people and their interactions, and anything nature-related.

I can do poetry, storytelling, filk, recipes, factual articles (at present in the mundane world I am writing ‘Plant of the Week’ articles for a local environmental newsletter).. I am utterly lacking in the skills of art, so sadly can’t make pictures (though I love to receive art). There are examples of my work in previous Secret Santas, and on Archive of Our Own, where I am Tanist.

Let’s all have seasonal fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »
Halloo I'm in!  More details about what I like later, but in general I like fluff, humour & art.

Edit: Open to art or stories or edits - my familiar references outside of the Minnaverse include:
 :V webcomics Girl Genius, Namesake, Alice and the Nightmare, Tigress Queen, Between Failures
 :V books/series such as Queen's Thief, LotR, Old Kingdom Chronicles, His Dark Materials, Pern, the Lewis Carroll Alice books, Discworld, cookbooks, Ogden Nash's poetry
 :V TV shows such as Star Trek, Miraculous Ladybug, The Owl House, Derry Girls, Peanuts specials
 :V Original art! Love nature, cats, figurative work, urban scenery, gestural abstraction, ink drawings & prints, cartooning....
 :mikkel: Goncharov

I have a very short list of DNW: horror, anime references, romance (ships are fine & all, but not as primary focus)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 08:43:12 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »
I would like to do this, but I am limited on what I will be able to "gift"

Interests food, cooking, recipes,  (I read cookbooks like novels ha ha), cats (I have a furry horde) Reading.  Because I joined the forum so late, I really enjoy people's art and writing.

I follow on discord (SSSS, Immaterial , which has absolutely lovely art. Suihira, Phantomarine thanks goes to linebyline for those..)

I like most things, mostly happy endings.  I do not do horror or gore.  (gives me nightmares)

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 06:00:17 PM »
I’m in, and glad we are making this! Hopefully we’ll get a good number of participants.

I can gift a story, or some poetry. I could also do some light research / description of things Nordic, but then it would probably be overly obvious it’s me :) Unfortunately I can’t art.

I would love a sweet, happy and/or fun work, story or art, with fluff and maybe (not mandatory) some romance. I appreciate very different stories too, but for this challenge I’d like something happy :)

I would like to in particular ask @lwise to consider joining in addition to the usual suspects :) Your tales are delightful but you seldom participate in the events. Also @Mirasol, I’m hailing so that you don’t miss the announcement!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 09:11:51 AM »
I'm in too!

I can do a story, or some art (you already know that, since I'm one of the "usual suspects" @Jitter mentioned... ;) ), and I would also love to have more people joining this, like @Vulpes , @JoB and @Nellie McEnt

I like... So many things! It would be a long list, including almost everything that's Science Fiction or Fantasy, particularly when it features interesting characters (but them who doesn't?).
Anyway my top 5 list would include:

Ian M. Banks' Culture (oh, big surprise!)
Star Trek (didn't follow DS9 or Picard, though)
Tolkien's works (Lord of The Rings, etc...)
Neil Gaiman's works (anything he created, the guy is brilliant)
George R.R. Martin's works (as long as the last season of GoT isn't mentioned)
H.P. Lovecraft's stories (ah, the atmosphere...)
Frank Herbert's Dune books (Such worldbuilding)
Stand Still Stay Silent (heard about it? The story is already finished, but the best of it continues at the SSSS Forum!)
David Brin
Terry Pratchett
Arthur C. Clarke
Robert A. Heinlein
What, it's more than 5? Oops...

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
I could also do some light research / description of things Nordic, but then it would probably be overly obvious it’s me :)
... you could report on "the land where relentless heat scorches the sands" instead ... ?

and I would also love to have more people joining this, like @Vulpes , @JoB and @Nellie McEnt
Ooooff ... believe it or not, I'd very likely find it still easier to write a short story (and you know how long that's been by now) than jotting down any hints for my gifter. Ever heard of the guy where even his close relatives have no idea whatsoever what to buy him for Christmas or his birthday? Yup, that's me ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 02:13:34 PM »
Thank you Jitter, I would have up and missed it again! :-[

I´d like to participate, but only if it´s okay to do something a little bit smaller. I´m a bit swamped in homework right now. :')
I can do art and stories, as usual. I could also bake cookies, but they have the tendency not to send virtually. :squirrelcookie: Also you´d probably all know it´s me.

As for things I´m interested in, I think Yoinktober illustrated once again quite well in which corner of the fandom-ocean I´m currently stranded in, plus all the usual things I´m obsessed with. :'D
Which would be: The Magnus Archives and the Mechanisms, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (which I don´t know the ending of yet though, so, well), Splatoon, always the Legend of Zelda, How to train your Dragon, the Jurassic Park movies (dinosaur-animatronics!!!), Arcane, and SSSS of course and... I should probably stop now.
Don´t feel limited by this... already not very limited list. I´ll probably enjoy most things fantasy, sci-fi or horror.

Regular interests would be growing potted plants, cats, dragons, art and animation (but you probably guessed the last ones :P)

I don´t have any preference regarding what it´ll be about.
If you want to include ships (I don´t mind either way), anything that´s canon or a widely accepted headcanon is usually a safe bet with me, but don´t let that stop you.

The only request I really have is for it to be safe for work. But since this is hosted here that was probably a given anyways. :)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
@Jitter, you are very kind, but group activities are too stressful for me to participate in.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 04:13:30 PM »
Yeah, I was actually thinking (unfortunately after I posted) that the Advent Calendar might be better, if you wanted to participate but with a bit less press. It’s not like the Secret Santa is a serious event either, but there is the element of “I want to be sure the giftee likes this”. Not that I have any doubts that anything written by you would disappoint :) But I have noticed you prefer to keep your own schedule.

This is also not meant to press you into participating into that one either, more like explaining the “mistake” I made here.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 07:41:00 PM »
Gosh I'm flattered you'd call me out to participate, I've been so absent lately! I wish I could, but right now I'm so terribly behind on everything, I just know I'll be spending December catching my breath and catching up. Work has been bonkers. I scratch one item off the to-do list, and add two more. I hope I can poke my head in during December and enjoy some of the wonderful creativity, but I don't think I can commit.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 05:54:15 AM »
Regular interests would be growing potted plants, cats, dragons, art and animation (but you probably guessed the last ones :P)
My dear @Mirasol , did you say growing potted... dragons? :)

(you may click to enlarge, but it's just a doodle)

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »
Grey!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 07:10:10 AM »
My dear @Mirasol , did you say growing potted... dragons? :)

(you may click to enlarge, but it's just a doodle)

Oh my god I love that potted dragon!!! XoX XoX XoX

Now do I grow such mystical creatures? That depends... Do Snapdragons count? O_o
(Haha of course I grow neither potted dragons nor cats. :'D I just don´t properly reread my sentences. Although....)

Spoiler: potted... cat? • show

(I know the heather is a bit too big for the pot, I just didn´t have a smaller one so it´ll have to do for now ^^')
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 06:46:12 PM »
Ahhhhh! I'm late!

So, I can do a story that everyone'll guess I wrote.

Dislikes: NSFW.