Author Topic: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work  (Read 27556 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2023, 04:53:04 PM »
Making all the characters anthropomorphic might have helped with suspension of disbelief; less questions about why the rabbits are eating flesh and such when the creatures are half human and presumably have human traits. Still wouldn't get rid of all the weirdness though.

Yeah.  I think that would have worked.  I know we "get" that she is telling a story.  It is just my initial response was EWWW.

Going back with anthropomorphic in mind is better.  It is still rather harsh in my opinion.  Though I believe it is the Calvinism talking (Every time I write the word Calvinism I think of "Calvin and Hobbs" (lol) It is not that tho

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2023, 05:12:08 PM »
Making all the characters anthropomorphic might have helped with suspension of disbelief; less questions about why the rabbits are eating flesh and such when the creatures are half human and presumably have human traits. Still wouldn't get rid of all the weirdness though.

Furries work because they're mostly human.

Some things still work in carnivore/herbivore (Kevin & Kell, Zootopia)- that tends to be a bit uncomfortable because they're so human it's uncomfortable to see a wolf-anthro hunting a rabbit-anthro. (And in zootopia, when they are shown hunting their physicality reverts to four-legged and very very animal, not humanoid)

I think most have it that they're basically fuzzy humans, and that livestock and pets and such are animal animals so it's not weird to see a rabbit-like humanoid eating a steak and it'd be a bit amusing to have a vegan tiger-like humanoid but believable.

So yes an anthro comic would work pretty well. 

However I imagine she's now aware of how LGBT friendly the furry community is so wouldn't be willing to touch it.   :-\

(Every time I write the word Calvinism I think of "Calvin and Hobbs" (lol) It is not that tho

If it were it would have more dinosaurs.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2023, 06:11:02 AM »
Furries work because they're mostly human.
As far as I'm concerned, they're all stand-ins for a single species (humans), either way, so unless the creator goes out of his way to show most "herbivores" eating meat and/or carnivores going veg, I'd be wary of "there's got to be a secret message there!" ...

to see a rabbit-like humanoid eating a steak
Funny that you would put it like that, considering that Minna did make a vote incentive of a non-humanoid rabbit tearing meat off a (raw?) steak as large as himself with his teeth ...

(It's supposed to be rabbit!Ville, though.)

(P.S.: Definitely raw, original filename "bloodbunny.jpg". I remember it being a fandom suggestion, though.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:19:15 AM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2023, 08:31:00 PM »
OK. So I have read the latest. Hope these reactions are phrased at least slightly more coherently than I think the comic is:

Well, at least the artwork's back.

Pity that it's serving such an, at best, semicoherent story; and such an, IMO, unwise message.

-- for one thing, I keep wondering how the animals got into that mess in the first panel. That's not standard Christian theology, I don't think -- in Genesis God creates a functioning ecology (one in which, while we're at it, some of the animals eat other animals) and "saw that it was good". And unless created in that state, they must have had better living conditions at some point, or no young would have been produced and they'd long since have died out. And even when Adam and Eve got thrown out of Eden, wherever they wound up it was possible to make a living, even though by the sweat of their brows. So what happened?

And then there are all the questions about the weird disaster they create in the new place. Polluted springs don't "give up", they make those who drink from them sick. I suppose magic ones might give up, but wouldn't the animals drinking from them before they did still sicken? And if there isn't any water, thirst will get you before hunger will; at least for species not designed to get most of their liquid from the body fluids of their prey. And, if starvation in their original desert made them too weak to eat each other, why wouldn't it do the same thing after the springs gave up? And why didn't they eat each other in the original desert before they got too weak, until they got back down to carrying capacity -- especially given that as soon as they gain enough strength eating each other is what they all start doing? The desert clearly is supplying some food and water, as they hadn't all quite starved; just clearly not enough to go around.

And if none of them were supposed to eat each other, and they all had lots of food after the lamb fixed the place -- were they all sterile? all using birth control? (the birds are laying eggs, though --) all going to produce babies until that was no longer possible because they'd turned the place back into a desert by overgrazing?

And is this how she thinks actual predators behave (never mind the herbivores) -- they just keep slaughtering for the fun of it, leaving the bodies to rot in their water supply? Humans have been known to do that; but it's uncommon behavior for most species in a natural situation. Making her characters -- not that they are characters, none of them have any -- non human works against her there.

But I think the real problem's there in panel -- well, I think it's panel #7, though the panels aren't really clearly distinguished (which is not a problem, that I think is kind of neat.) Explicitly. "To live here you must be like me!"

That's explained in the next line as 'you have to be kind and gentle'. But it seems to mean, also, 'you must be vegans.' Which, as has been pointed out, isn't normal for even most herbivore species-- sheep included; and is flat out impossible for some of the carnivores. (Not to mention that overgrazing problem . . . ) Again, presenting her allegory in the form of non-humans is working against her, not for her.

It's pretty clear Minna doesn't mean just 'you mustn't be unnecessarily cruel to each other'. She means that everybody must live the same way -- that there is only One Right Way to be.

And there, again, is what I think is the underlying problem in all this.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2023, 08:42:54 PM »
Yeah, One True Way in never a good idea. Nature doesn’t work like that, and so neither do we.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2023, 01:21:51 AM »
Well, at least the artwork's back.
I still find it closer to adv 2 than adv 1.

-- for one thing, I keep wondering how the animals got into that mess in the first panel. That's not standard Christian theology, I don't think -- in Genesis God creates a functioning ecology (one in which, while we're at it, some of the animals eat other animals) and "saw that it was good". And unless created in that state, they must have had better living conditions at some point, or no young would have been produced and they'd long since have died out. And even when Adam and Eve got thrown out of Eden, wherever they wound up it was possible to make a living, even though by the sweat of their brows. So what happened?

No this is weird and not biblical at all. There doesn't seem to be a god, just a jesus lamb.

And I suppose if you're going so negative there kind of can't be a god in the biblical sense - since how could god create something in his image that's so wicked?

(I am aware that in a sense Jesus is god - but he's also a separate subset of god that did not create the world, and does not show the kind of godly powers that god has in genesis. So this comic feels like we extracted Jesus from god.)

Different theologies focus on different things - but the Bible is fairly straightforward that humans were created inherently good.  The tree of knowledge debacle put a layer above that inherent goodness, but ultimately the core is inherent goodness.

(Also the bibles I've read don't say anything about wickedness or corruption. Just that humans now have to 'labor' instead of sitting around being bored all day. If you ask me, Eve eating the fruit* gave humanity purpose.) 

(I also have opinions about god saying "if you eat this you'll die" when what he meant was "if you eat this I'll take your immortality functionallt killing you. Whereas the serpent was fully honest about the direct result of eating the fruit. Just saying.)

*technically it doesn't say "apple" just "fruit" and it's one of my partner's pet peeves

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2023, 03:23:11 AM »
And I suppose if you're going so negative there kind of can't be a god in the biblical sense - since how could god create something in his image that's so wicked?
There is plenty of precedent in the form of "if God is good, omnipotent, and all-knowing (including the far future), how could He allow ... to happen" discussions. The two main counterarguments are "humans cannot understand God's reasons (except in the most simple cases)" and - at least in the catholic teachings I've had - "preventing all (human-perpetrated) evil would negate the freedom of will He gave us".

*technically it doesn't say "apple" just "fruit" and it's one of my partner's pet peeves
From the actual back-then flora, the pomegranate is considered the likeliest prototype for the biblical "fruit" - which is literally called "granate apple" (Granatapfel) in German. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2023, 03:59:32 AM »
There is plenty of precedent in the form of "if God is good, omnipotent, and all-knowing (including the far future), how could He allow ... to happen" discussions. The two main counterarguments are "humans cannot understand God's reasons (except in the most simple cases)" and - at least in the catholic teachings I've had - "preventing all (human-perpetrated) evil would negate the freedom of will He gave us".

The latter isn't relevant, the former is a stretch. "In the beginning, God created the world and he made it barren so all creatures endlessly suffered from hunger". There's mysterious ways and then there's dick moves.

Edit to add - I saw a woman who believes she can see angels. One thing she talked about is how she sees people's guardian angels whispering in their ears and being totally ignored.  I personally like the idea that we're guided in the right direction but are too stubborn/traumatized/etc to listen.  She's Irish Catholic IIrc (like literally born and raised and lives in Ireland) so it ties into the free will thing.

There's a lot of suffering in this world that can be attributed to human free will.

Every living creature suffering from hunger because god created inadequate resources just to force people to accept jesus!lamb's worldview is a horse of a different color.

From the actual back-then flora, the pomegranate is considered the likeliest prototype for the biblical "fruit" - which is literally called "granate apple" (Granatapfel) in German. :P

'Pomme' refers to apple as well so there's an english association, too.

I like the Persephone reference.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:38:21 AM by dreki »

Róisín

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2023, 08:11:49 AM »
The pomegranate is not only probably older in cultivation than the apple but is an ancient symbol of sex, femininity and fertility. Also far more likely to be found in the Middle East than any kind of apple. The error is typical of theological translations of the Middle Ages, I’m afraid. There are many such, some of which may have been honest mistakes or just taking a stab at a possible meaning for an unknown word. But far more mistranslations served the political agenda of rulers or powerful ‘clergy’, consolidating their power and opening up new ways to subject people. Why trouble about what a wandering preacher who may have been the son of god actually said when there is power to be had?

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2023, 01:25:01 PM »
Many a pope, from the time of 'Peter' onward, might have taken that last sentence as his papal motto.
Or a more succinct Latin version thereof.

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2023, 02:20:00 PM »
Many a pope, from the time of 'Peter' onward, might have taken that last sentence as his papal motto.
Or a more succinct Latin version thereof.

When the coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory springs.

(I really like that saying, sticks in my head well)

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2023, 11:07:48 AM »

And then there are all the questions about the weird disaster they create in the new place. Polluted springs don't "give up", they make those who drink from them sick. I suppose magic ones might give up, but wouldn't the animals drinking from them before they did still sicken? And if there isn't any water, thirst will get you before hunger will; at least for species not designed to get most of their liquid from the body fluids of their prey. And, if starvation in their original desert made them too weak to eat each other, why wouldn't it do the same thing after the springs gave up? And why didn't they eat each other in the original desert before they got too weak, until they got back down to carrying capacity -- especially given that as soon as they gain enough strength eating each other is what they all start doing? The desert clearly is supplying some food and water, as they hadn't all quite starved; just clearly not enough to go around.

"That's what you got when you hire a cheap terraforming company to prepare your planet! First, they botched the producents. Second, they didn't plumb the water supply right. Third, they are trying to make horse a predator. And their solution to all this? Send down a winged lamb with a few quick patches!"

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2023, 02:14:25 PM »
@Dilandu, thank you for the laugh!

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2023, 03:15:10 PM »
"That's what you got when you hire a cheap terraforming company to prepare your planet! First, they botched the producents. Second, they didn't plumb the water supply right. Third, they are trying to make horse a predator. And their solution to all this? Send down a winged lamb with a few quick patches!"

This is reminding me of Douglas Adams.

Douglas Adams would have made this plot enjoyable.

Róisín

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2023, 09:48:40 PM »
I miss his wit and his work. Like Terry Pratchett, a sad loss to both philosophy and humour.