Author Topic: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work  (Read 27457 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2022, 05:38:41 AM »
Yeah, ”no one is perfectly good enough for god no matter what they do” is the gist of teaching of protestant denominations. However the other part of the gist is that everyone has been pardoned already and gets the salvation if they just take it.

Unfortunately many of the denominations then proceed to set strict rules and standards nevertheless, with much scolding on anyone who falters. It saddens me to think that so many people seem to read the message “everyone is pardoned, everyone is salvageable” with the continuation of “as long as they adhere to MY rules”.

And then there are the ones who somehow manage to interpret this to mean that “my earthly success and affluence means god likes me, ergo I must be better than the rest”. And then either “ergo, whatever I do cannot be a sin” or “ergo, my sins don’t matter”. I believe this is not unheard of among protestants…
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »
I think I’ll stick to being a Pagan, and accept that I am responsible for the consequences of my own actions.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2022, 12:23:53 PM »
I think I’ll stick to being a Pagan, and accept that I am responsible for the consequences of my own actions.

I second that motion.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2022, 11:03:15 PM »
I'm Catholic, not Pagan, but same.

The New Testament says repeatedly that, while it's by Grace through faith that we're saved, it's by our actions and our choices that we'll be judged. I honestly don't know how anyone squares that with the idea of predestination in the strict sense (that there's no free will) or with the idea that being "blessed" with material wealth is a sign of Divine approval of whatever someone does.

That's how some Christian denominations take it, sure. However, the more common (I hope ...) way to interpret the concept of Original Sin is "all people are bad in the eyes of God, including my peeps, but since we're all people here, let's talk about shades, grades, betterment, and ideally, pardoning clauses."

Original sin is different from total depravity. Original sin means that human nature has been corrupted as a result of the Fall (the literal original sin in Eden) resulting in a darkening of the intellect, loss of various preternatural gifts (like immunity from disease and death), and a tendency toward sin called concupiscence.

But not every denomination that believes in original sin believes in total depravity. I'm not familiar enough with the doctrine to know exactly what that phrase means, but the idea that people are entirely evil and can't do anything about it other than overtly accept Christ seems to run afoul of the New Testament. Among other things, one of the epistles says that those who haven't received Revelation are a law unto themselves, meaning (roughly) that they are capable of knowing right from wrong, even if imperfectly, and they are both able and expected to choose to do good based on what knowledge they have.

There are some Protestants who believe that humanity is entirely corrupt and our salvation is the result of God covering over our corruption and looking the other way; in this view, we're like dung heaps covered with snow. Perhaps this is what some of them mean by total depravity? Either way, this belief is definitely anti-biblical, as the New Testament speaks often of the genuinely transformative power of God's grace.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2022, 03:44:41 PM »
I think it's possible that she may genuinely not understand that the title is insulting; or why.

Her father apparently read multiple pages of the reaction on these boards to the bunny comic and understood none of it.

Wait is it "Lovely People" the insulting title? Can someone explain why? I don't understand.

Original sin is different from total depravity. Original sin means that human nature has been corrupted as a result of the Fall (the literal original sin in Eden) resulting in a darkening of the intellect, loss of various preternatural gifts (like immunity from disease and death), and a tendency toward sin called concupiscence.

But not every denomination that believes in original sin believes in total depravity. I'm not familiar enough with the doctrine to know exactly what that phrase means, but the idea that people are entirely evil and can't do anything about it other than overtly accept Christ seems to run afoul of the New Testament. Among other things, one of the epistles says that those who haven't received Revelation are a law unto themselves, meaning (roughly) that they are capable of knowing right from wrong, even if imperfectly, and they are both able and expected to choose to do good based on what knowledge they have.

There are some Protestants who believe that humanity is entirely corrupt and our salvation is the result of God covering over our corruption and looking the other way; in this view, we're like dung heaps covered with snow. Perhaps this is what some of them mean by total depravity? Either way, this belief is definitely anti-biblical, as the New Testament speaks often of the genuinely transformative power of God's grace.

This reminds me a lot of the priest from Road to El Dorado who believed humans are wicked and the solution is human sacrifice.

I can't remember what and I don't feel like looking for it but there was something Minna recently wrote about her new belief about how she's imperfect and can never be right or something along those lines and it was just so sad.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2022, 10:50:56 PM »
Wait is it "Lovely People" the insulting title? Can someone explain why? I don't understand.

No, not "Lovely People". The at-that-time proposed title of Minna's next work -- only the original link no longer shows that title, and I no longer remember the wording of it. Maybe somebody else does? It was something like 'my journey from depravity to belief' only what was meant by 'depravity' appeared to be atheism, or maybe any belief or lack of other than her current version of Christianity.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2022, 04:11:48 AM »
Yeah, it was something on those lines, From total depravity to somethingsomethig (basically the only right thing).

Her Hummingfluff site now shows her works in progress (the two Christian furry animals) and finished work. The latter consists of LP only.  I'm sad again.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2022, 04:35:51 AM »
No, not "Lovely People". The at-that-time proposed title of Minna's next work -- only the original link no longer shows that title, and I no longer remember the wording of it. Maybe somebody else does? It was something like 'my journey from depravity to belief' only what was meant by 'depravity' appeared to be atheism, or maybe any belief or lack of other than her current version of Christianity.
I don't remember her suggesting a proper title back then (it's said to be "A Meandering Line" now), but her description of her own life so far - which that comic is supposed to recap - certainly sounded a lot like that.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2022, 04:57:18 AM »
I've seen an ad of sorts for it, with a bunny on a bicycle and the From Depravity etc. written on top of it in big fat letters, like a title. I don't know if there was also a comment underneath about this not being the actual planned title, but it was set like it were. Whether or not it was meant as the title it was very easy to read it like it was.

I'm not a big fan of being called totally depraved myself, so I wasn't very impressed. Admittedly, I will read it because I'm curious to learn how this could happen (and yes, I do understand it's not going to be an objective description) but I don't expect to like it one bit.

Roulietta

• DeviantArt
  • Hapless ham-fisted French
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2022, 06:44:39 PM »
I hadn't been activefor a very long time, and finished to read SSSS today (life happened lol) , to then see this...

I am not feeling very comfortable with the whole "total depravity" and all, msotly because it's remembering me lot of people when I was in private school. I'm kind of wondering what happened... Ehh anyway  :-\
Default settings: :france:
Oddly more or less mastered : :uk:
Studied it five years and still can't speak a word: :spain:
Seriously studying and can swear in this language: :german:

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2022, 04:59:41 AM »
It was, "Through atheism, nihilism, and depravity to Christ". That placeholder cover can still be seen e.g. here. I think she dropped the 'depravity' at some point (as to a casual reader it means something different than to her sect, perhaps?)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
Just found the future site for the journeying animals comic on my Twitter feed. I'm going to read an asexual activism post or two to balance out my evening. (Still not a fan of "you're fundamentally broken and God is the solution" doctrines)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:08:01 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2022, 04:29:08 PM »
At least it in effect has content warnings.

I'm also not a fan; especially since, however it may be meant theologically, what it seems to turn into in practice is all too often 'everybody who disagrees with my specific cult is essentially depraved.' (And the word is back in there; from the page linked to "exploring our fallen nature as understood in the doctrine of Radical Corruption/Total Depravity".)

Kevin_Redcrow

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2022, 10:19:56 PM »
Checking in after a two-month buffer period.

The outlook on comics and Ms. Sundberg's personal growth looks dismal from my point of view.

At least I still have A Year In Hereafter for my Nordic graphic novel dose.

Apologies to anyone I may have offended in this forum.

Later days.

Turnstylus

• Uuuummmm....
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2022, 12:26:19 PM »
I understand how this new comic has disappointed many of us: SSSS was a story that made no truth claims, but rather focused on basic human needs - survival, courage, teamwork, the need for acceptance. Am I right? It's a good recipe for a story anyone can relate to!

I see the new comic as the next step that most of us take in "growing up", if you will - after we take care of the basic needs, we try to make sense of the world. Whether or not we agree with Minna's chosen moral framework, this comic is part of her journey in understanding. I don't begrudge anyone that.

I'm inclined to think the best of people - yeah, I'm one of those gullible saps! - so I believe Minna's choice to make some truth claims is because she thinks others will benefit from hearing those claims, even if they disagree. The claims themselves may seem harsh, but I've never gotten the impression that Minna had a condemning attitude in her work or speech. And we're always free to read it, or find something else to read. No obligations!

I will give the new comic a look - the art, as always, is gorgeous, and giving folks a fair hearing is a priority for me.