Author Topic: Thoughts on the End of SSSS  (Read 18405 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Thoughts on the End of SSSS
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2022, 09:15:29 PM »
I had missed that piece, or don’t remember it anymore. I love it. The Community goes on.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2022, 11:07:00 PM »
Yup. It's happened. We're out on our own.

Out on our own may turn out to be quite an interesting place, though --

philman

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2022, 02:20:22 AM »
I have to admit, despite it being over, and the circumstances behind that, I actually quite like the ending comic wise. We got some nice little moments with all the characters, got to say goodbye to most of them, they're generally happy and safe, it was an actual ending and not completely abrupt like some webcomics, while plenty of scope for picking it up again in the future, either for Minna or fanfic writers.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2022, 05:48:49 AM »
Jitter, thank you for re-posting a very fitting farewell to the comic.

Personally, I'm surprised at the lack of intensity of my feelings about the ending. I think this is possibly because my investment for SSSS as the actual comic has waned quite a lot over the past year and a half. Right now, the significance that SSSS holds to me is contained within the communities it has created - all the people I've met and all the wonderful things everybody's made and said and done. Still, it's an odd feeling to know that there won't be any more discussion or speculation about the updates, regardless of its level of excitement or cynicism. I'm glad that SSSS got an ending, even if it was rather lacklustre, and didn't just cut off abruptly. I suppose I appreciate a sense of closure.

I hope this community won't be going away anytime soon! The SSSS fandom - in the comments, on the forum and on the discord (which you can join here, if anyone's interested) - has been a massive part of my life these past three years: getting me back into poetry, allowing me to meet so many wonderful people from all over the world, and also teaching me a surprisingly large amount of new skills - from organising events to learning how websites work behind the scenes as I've become an admin. Us admins and mods will do our best to keep this site running as long as there's people who want to come here.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

dmeck7755

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2022, 08:02:32 AM »
now it is up to us to keep the dust and cobwebs away.  And maybe hunt a few trolls
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2022, 11:24:39 AM »
This is not the end, just a new phase. As for myself I will continue checking the forum daily as part of my morning routine. I look for new art and photos of the routes our heroes took as well as vacation posts from members as they travel. I contribute to photos myself, in particular with snaps of the reenactor timeline events I attend. I recently opened a YouTube site so I could post videos of me playing music which I will continue as I learn how to improve the quality of my vids made on my smartphone. I just bought a microphone which plugs into my phone and installed a camera app to improve audio and am pleased with the results. There are several excellent fanfics on sites like Archive of our Own which you can follow, some that are entirely new stories and others that provide interesting background to the canon timeline. In this way the community and the story can continue.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2022, 02:17:59 PM »
Hear hear, midwestmutt!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2022, 09:28:53 AM »
I share people's feelings about parts of the ending feeling perfunctory or anticlimactic, and some loose threads being abandoned. The epilogue was lovely, though. My main beef is that we didn't get much of a goodbye for Tuuri. I don't know, maybe I just missed it? Maybe I skipped a page? But it feels like she was there and then she was gone.

On that note, I feel like Adventure 2 was a good place to end things. I love the idea that the surviving crew can always go on having adventures--that's one of my favorite kinds of endings--but it just isn't SSSS without Tuuri and it would really start to get unbelievable to have her keep coming back from the dead every time the rest want to go on an adventure.

Overall, while some things could have been handled better, I'm happy enough with what we got. I'm sad to see it end, but it's a happy kind of sad, if that makes sense.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2022, 02:13:25 PM »
Hee! We may be weird but we are not alone!

Here’s an article citing actual psychologist about Post-Series Depression and how to deal with it! It’s a Thing! We have a Thing!

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/psychologists-on-how-to-fill-the-emptiness-you-feel-after-binging-a-great-show
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2022, 02:32:33 PM »
Apropos of nothing, I'm reading a book called "The Great Quake: How the Biggest Earthquake in North America Changed Our Understanding of the Planet."  I've just been introduced to Kris Madsen: "A tall, skinny girl with blue eyes and unbelievably red hair, she developed an independent streak from an early age."

She appears to be the temporally misplaced daughter of Mikkel Madsen and Sigrun Eide!

NightMareMage

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2022, 05:25:25 PM »
This is kinda late but whatever.

Most of my feelings on it's ending went before the epilogue. I was frustrated with the lack of closure with the defeat of the kade, the freeing of Ensi and with Tuuri's farewell (mostly that last one). I don't really hate the bears but I never felt much for them either and they had a better resolution with did not help my frustration.

The epilogue was cute though.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2022, 09:46:23 AM »
I deleted SSSS from my bookmarks. End of an era.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2022, 05:37:28 AM »
Jitter, that was a fascinating article! SSSS being my first web community, though I am involved in a number of real world communities, it was a whole new experience for me. And I hope to maintain through the ongoing Forum the connections I have made here, some of which have spilled over into the real world and are likely to continue there. There are many folk I have met through the Forum and the comic whom I would hope to know better. And I have learned so much!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2022, 02:27:49 AM »
This is kinda late but whatever.

Most of my feelings on it's ending went before the epilogue. I was frustrated with the lack of closure with the defeat of the kade, the freeing of Ensi and with Tuuri's farewell (mostly that last one). I don't really hate the bears but I never felt much for them either and they had a better resolution with did not help my frustration.

The epilogue was cute though.

I just finished rereading and ... Yeah.

I'm glad she finished it. But you can tell she fell out of love and wanted it done.

I do think it's a good place to end. In part because it feels quite possible that the crew will naturally part ways once the travel opens back up.

dinoonthenet

• Super-Newbie
  • dog
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2022, 09:56:11 PM »
i found ssss during the end of adventure II (from an advertisement on flight rising, of all places), so i never got a chance to participate in the fandom in its peak. even so, i have a lot of thoughts and feelings about the comic that have been stewing in my head. it feels right to set them free here.

i could tell at first glance the story was very much to my tastes - the post-apocalyptic winter setting, the unique artstyle, the focus on language, and so much more, it was unlike anything i'd ever seen before, and very much like something i'd been wanting to see and lacking in other works. and so i decided to save it for later, for when i feel ready to delve into something new to be passionate about. this "later" turned out to be when i was going through some dark times in my personal life, and i stayed up several nights binging the entire comic from start to most recent page (it was around the final confrontation with the kade, i think).

i was hooked. it was everything i hoped it would be and more. i loved the art, i loved the atmosphere, and i especially loved the characters and their interactions. Lalli, particularly, is very dear to me. i myself am autistic, and i'd never seen a character so openly display such familiar mannerisms without being judged or "fixed" by the narrative or other characters. it felt like a breath of fresh air when i hadn't realized i'd been holding it. seeing the team bond and face the horrors of the silent world together did wonders to lift my spirits when i was feeling so low. i had a couple issues with the story - mostly the worldbuilding and how eager to forget itself the world seemed (i mean, 90 years? that's nothing in the face of history) - but i didn't care, because what i loved about it was just so much stronger and brighter.

then i got to adventure II and it started falling apart a more and more. like many others, i noticed the comic lose steam. i didn't much blame the author for any art changes (making comics is exhausting!!), but the story started to feel... hollow. empty. uninterested in itself. i know now, but at the time i didn't understand why so many cool concepts and plot threads that had been set up were quietly dropped, why the characters didn't seem to even interact anymore, why the death of one of them seemed to not affect anyone, why the creeping, ever present horror of the silent world was replaced by... three bears. i was a bit in denial. i wanted to love adventure II like i loved adventure I, still feeling the buzz of excitement from binging it in just a few days, but that feeling was quickly crushed when i learned about the author's newest work and the motivation behind it. it made everything click into place, and one morbid curiosity induced cartoon animal comic read later, i was back in that dark pit that ssss originally pulled me out of. i'm not sure it makes sense for me to be affected so deeply, when my experience with the comic was so short lived, but i suppose i can't tell the heart how strongly to feel about something.

since then i've gone back to revisit the story, read it again with a clearer mind and knowledge of where it was going. i looked at it with an analytical lens, picked apart its themes and details in my head. it could easily be considered a hyperfixation, i think. i mulled over the story and all the potential for where it and any derivative works could have gone, like nervously turning over a smooth pebble in your pocket to calm your nerves, over and over. i read through the (very impressive) library of fanworks, and of course, this forum. it took a whole lot of anxious second-guessing, but i finally made the decision to join, to not keep all of that (and wow, this is much more than i even realized i could write, i hope it isn't too much) inside my head.

i'm here now. i don't know how much i have to contribute, if anything, but i want to try. because ssss and all that it's inspired deserve better than to be forgotten.