Author Topic: YoinkTober 2021  (Read 9811 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: YoinkTober 2021
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
Masks

Mother
Expert
Cook
Woman
Environmentalist
Citizen
Leader
Servant
Teacher
Guardian
Mentor
Spouse
Facilitator
Parent
Representative
Wife
Writer
Project manager
Voter
Decision maker
Finn
Human
Earthling
Companion
Organism
Friend
Partner

Creative
Worried
Bright
Brave
Timid
Middle-aged
European
Well-off
Young
Old
Beautiful
Feminine
Fat
Outspoken
Social
Bubbly
Warm
Wise
Forgetful
Tired
Strong
Learned
Depressed
Afraid
Brilliant

Who am I?

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 06:25:04 PM »
Posting now because tomorrow (later today...) will be a crazy day.

Responses:
wave: That is chilling. Especially now that you have the combination of picture and story. Familiar, comforting things turning a sort of danger is the highest form of horror, for me. (If only she'd had a cat instead.)
Mirasol: I don't know Amphibia but I love the pose and expression.  And kitty is adorable; the leaves suit her.
Jitter: Noooo now the bar is raised, and I'll have to think of thoughtful original stuff instead of comfort-zone ssss fanfic (maybe after this week, though. I need my comfort zone this week.)

4.10.2021 Destruction
I'm still stuck in the world of SSSS scenelets, mostly featuring Emil for some reason. This one is a triple-drabble, because I am too tired to trim.

Spoiler: show
"That was my last good shirt!" Emil lifted up the tattered rag. How could one cat wreak so much destruction?

"Don’t be too upset," said aunt Siv. "The shirt wasn't that good. It was a bit too tight, for starters."

"It fit me just fine." It really had, now that he'd spent a year working out in the Cleansers! If it was tight at all, it had been in the shoulders. "Anyway, it was the last of the ones I got from Father. Now what am I going to wear to sophisticated parties?"

“Oh no, Emil.” Sune tugged on his sleeve, seemingly to be on the verge of tears. “We are so sorry! We just wanted Bosse to look more like you!”

Emil forced a smile. The kids had meant no harm; there was no reason to upset them. “It’s okay, actually. I never get invited to parties, anyway."

“But you could be!” Uncle Torbjörn put an arm around Emil’s shoulders. “If you join the Silent World expedition. A successful outcome is sure to lead to fortune, fame, and many invitations.”

The fame and fortune part did sound great, but it was the ‘successful outcome’ part that worried Emil. He shrugged.

“And, of course,” Uncle Torbjörn continued, “your earnings would allow you to buy at least a dozen shirts! You could be proud of how you dress, again.”

Emil glanced down at the pitiful remains once more. Sometimes, all of his life felt that way, like a pitiful ruin. If he had a chance to fix things, surely he should take it? “Fine, I will go.”

“Very well, let me fetch a contract.” Uncle Torbjörn hurried off.

Emil squatted down by his cousin. “See, Sune,” he said, “there really was no need to worry. I'll have new shirts soon enough.”
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »
Here's a poem that's a little simpler.

(Masks)
Masks of The Four Corners

If a mask was apart of your soul
What would it look like?
Is what you're wearing your true face?
What will you do now?

The brave lend their courage
The hopeless lend their gifts
The martyrs lend their fame
The dead lend their image

The lonely offer choice
The friends offer shelter
The wicked offer luck
The sacred offer hope

A mask of strength
A mask of sadness
A mask of song
A mask of spirits
A mask of scars
A mask of stone
A mask of shadows
A mask of sight

If a mask was apart of my soul
What would it look like?
Is what I'm wearing my true face?
What will I do now?

Again inspired by:
The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:08:05 PM by Opaque »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2021, 09:10:41 PM »
Jitter, you are you.  Also, a Wordsmith.

No spoilers for me, Mirasol, as I have no clue what your (awesomely cute) magical girl is about.  But that expression on wee Kitty! Outstanding.

(Oddly enough, my best light is often the ones by my shower. There are like, three insanely bright LED halogens back there, and I can get a decent photo if I can prop the pad onto my towel rail. Using natural light in my apartment usually ends up being obviously directional and/or blue, with loss of quality when I apply filters to compensate. *shrug*)

tehta, Emil done filled out a tad.  We didn't get to see what shirts he puts under that muy fancy jacket and cape.  Say... New Clothes is a prompt coming up!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 12:45:48 AM »
I love all the poetry that people are writing this year! Especially those about masks. What a topical theme :'D

I don't have time to participate until uhhh next week...ish... but I'll keep reading and observing!

Jitter, this format of yours is especially interesting to me. Probably not the first to be formatted this way, but laying all your qualities that you can think of out in front of you is a very scary thing... for me, at least.

Wave, I totally agree with what Opaque said. It feels like something that has been happening a lot during the pandemic, with normally safe places suddenly becoming places where you could catch something you don't want very much, uhhh... scary!!! :'(

Mirasol, that's just such a cute Kitty! A very good thing to smile at :) I miss her, I feel like we haven't seen her in the comic in ages... Also, your drawing of Anne looks very cool too! I haven't watched the show yet, though.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 02:39:35 AM »
Mirasol, a lovely kitty! The magical girl looks great too although I don’t know the source material. I like your style, as always.

Wave I realized I forgot to comment on Lavender. She looks driven! She was the one character I liked too. And the trovel and gloves one is topical for me too, despite us being half a world apart. I was just planting bulbs this weekend.

Opaque, another great poem. Very different in form and tone from mine, yet still the same sentiment.

Wave, catbirds, thank you for the comments. Of course right after posting I thought of many more I absolutely should have included, not the least of which is dog owner (she wrote while being harassed by one of them). But it would never be finished if I truly went for it (perfectionist is missing btw) so I’ll leave it at that. Catbirds I don’t know if it’s a “format” other than contemporary free verse, but I’m glad you liked it.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 12:54:11 PM »
More video games! This time Chrono Trigger.
(Destruction)

Meet Lavos.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
Oh wow! I don’t think I want to meet Lavos.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2021, 01:59:24 PM »
Destruction

“What is it, Sanna? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“Ah, um, sort of. I’m from here.”
“What? You are from here? From this village? They sent you to your own…”
“Well, not from here here. I’m originally from Pirttisaari, a few islands to the south. But still…”
“Oh no, was it attacked too?”
“Yes, same as here at Toivosaari. I don’t think I personally knew anyone from here but… it’s just like this at Pirttisaari too, isn’t it?”
“I think I heard there were some survivors but… no, actually, the ones I heard about were from here. I’m sorry.”
“Well, at least my parents didn’t live to see this happening. I… I need…. Can I take a moment?
“Yes of course. Take all the time you need. We’ll start the burn on the other side of the village.”
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 04:16:48 PM by Jitter »

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »
Opaque, never played that game, but Lavos does seem pretty destructive. I like your colour palette!
Jitter, wow, now I am thinking about how like 50% of Finns in SSSS probably have some tragic backstory or another. And about RL first responders...

And wave, sadly I won't be replacing Emil's destroyed shirt tomorrow. I have prepared a Yoinktober buffer, because this week is pretty insane for me, so I have first drafts for several days.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:57:30 PM by tehta »
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
Wow, many many amazing contributions!!! Sorry, but I've been to busy doing too many things to properly comment each (awesome) work, even if I still intend to do so. :)

However I was able to prepare a small story. I'm considering the possibility to expand it later, answering to other promps... let's see what you, my friends, think.

I'll put it under spoiler because it's a bit long... I hope you enjoy it.

Metamorphosis 1 - Destruction

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect. He was laying on his hard, as it were armor-plated, back and when he lifted his head a little he could see his domelike brown belly divided into stiff arched segments on top of which the bed quilt could hardly keep in position and was about to slide off completely. His numerous legs, which were pitifully thin compared to the rest of his bulk, waved helplessly before his eyes."

"Oh! So the dream continues! And I'm inside Kafka's Metamorphosis! How strange!" He muttered. Perhaps because he shared the mains character's name? It already gave him some problem when he was a child... But this dream was so vivid, so real... How about sleeping a little bit longer and forgetting all that nonsense? Sounded like the best option, and so he tried. But he was used to sleep on his side, and this new shape prevented him to rotate his body... No, that wasn't his body! That's a nightmare! "I'll just close my eyes and sleep. When I wake up everything will be back to normal." He said, trying his best to breath slowly and relax.

After several minutes he remained pretty much awake, and started to look at his room. Why it was so dark and unkempt? Why there were so many boxes of medicines, syringes and bandages next to his bed. Most of all, why was he so hungry?

Gregor looked at his body again, but the horrific vision remained. Still dreaming, of course! Well, better to enjoy it the best he could. He never remembered well his dreams, but was quite sure they were never that imaginative... He managed to roll from the bed, landing on his six... no, eight spindly, but surprisingly strong legs. What a strange feeling! His arms and hands, however, looked almost normal, except for his nails, that have been replaced by long, blade-like claws. A tentative slash showed they were sharp enough to cut a candle as it was made of warm butter. On a way it was a cool nightmare, like playing a game on his computer.

A quick search on the room showed the laptop under some medicine books. Why would he, an engineering student, have those? He tried to reach the computer, but it was tricky to move objects with those claws. The first book he tried to grab displayed now five deep holes, showing he had to be very careful to avoid perforating things. After some more holes and hesitant experiences he managed to open the machine, pressing softly at the button to turn it on. There was no response, and connecting it to the charger did nothing. The lights also didn't work, so he concluded there was some power outage. Gregor looked again at the table by his bed. There was the candle he just cut, and the burnt remains of several others. He noticed again how dark the room was. The blinds were fully closed, and that intrigued him, since the room should be completely dark. He always insisted on that because he couldn't sleep if there was any light. However he could see quite well... But of course it was all a dream, so there was no need for logical explanations.

Time to explore the house, he thought. This strangely lucid and insane dream probably had many more cool things to do and discover. His bedroom door wouldn't open, but with little effort he broke the lock. Well, he was a monster after all! Having superhuman strength was no surprise. The long corridor was empty and full of dust, as if no one used it for a long time. His eight legs allowed a surprisingly silent advance while Gregor opened each door. All rooms looked abandoned, with closed blinds and dust covering floors, beds, everything. The dream obviously didn't contemplate the employees that kept the family mansion always clean and shiny, even on a floor where only his room, out of six, was permanently inhabited. His mother hated when he chose to move to the second floor, away from the rest of the family, but his father, dealing with the family business on another continent, indulged him, in exchange for a commitment to achieve top grades on University next year.

The large stairway looked just like the rest, but had, halfway to the first floor, an ample mirror that filled a whole wall, and what Gregor saw there made him stop. The closest animal he could recall was a lobster, but a pale and uncanny one, that had almost-human arms instead of claws and some surprisingly normal eyes. But jaws and mouth were proportionally much larger than any lobster would possess, and there were simply too many pointy teeth, almost as a shark. The most disturbing part, however, was the way the mouth opened, with a degree of elasticity he only remembered seeing on snakes.

It was an awful, terrifying vision, but at the same time somehow captivating, like watching a car accident. Gregor stood on the steps, contemplating how creative his subconscious actually was to create such a unique and disgusting nightmare, when he noticed the violin abandoned on the landing.

Sure, something related to his sister had to be on his nightmare! Always better on everything, school, sports, relationships... She even played beautifully the violin, while Gregor attempts on any instrument were laughable and rather painful to remember. He remembered going down those same stairs, not so long ago, following the music. But them it was his normal self, with just two regular feet on slippers.

Gregor reached the living room door, but didn't open it, just stood by the door, listening. The music was beautiful, and, he had to admit, skillfully executed. However the chosen piece also carried a deep sadness.
"Zora, stop that, please! Play some... something cheerful! Yeah, cheerful! For a change!"
The music stopped. "But mother, I... I can't! And you know very well why!"
His mother's voice sounded inebriated, and he recalled she's been drinking a lot lately. "Yes, yes, your brother, always your brother!"
"And your son, remember! He's up there, sick, and we already saw what that means!"
"Bah, it's jus... just some allergic reaction! He will..." the sound of glass touching glass interrupted the speech. "He will be better soon, you.. see..."
He heard the violin being laid down suddenly, its strings vibrating, and steps, and the sound of a bottle shattering against the floor. "Stop drinking! Stop! He's never been allergic to anything! You know that! Just face it! He got the damn Rash!"

Rash. Why that was so important? Gregor tried to remember, but just got faint images, news and headlines without context... Until a memory became clear. He was at his bed, the same bed where he had just awaken.

"Greg? Greg? Speak to me! Please!" It was Zora, his sister. He tried to answer, but somehow couldn't. His mouth wouldn't move. He was laying by his side, looking at the table where a candle burn, its flame steady. One of his hands was visible too, and was strange, almost completely covered in small red wounds.
Zora moved closer, and he could see she was wearing a surgical mask, and gloves. She lifted Gregor's head a bit, just enough to put a thin silver chain around his neck. She lifted a small hexagonal medal so he could see it. "Remember, Greg? Grandma magical necklace. She gave it to me before she died. You loved it when we were childs. It will protect you."
"It's no use, my dear." It was a man's voice, someone he used to know. The man entered on his view, also wearing a mask, together with a dirty white coat. He flashed a small lantern on Gregor's eyes. "There's nothing we can do. I'm sorry."
"We can't let him here! We can't! His my bro..."
"Brother. I'm aware of that!" The man interrupted. "Not the first, nor the last, I'm afraid. We have to move now. It's becoming too dangerous out there, and we can end up trapped in the city with this disease and... the monsters."
"Monsters? Don't tell me you believe in those rumors! It's all lies, people trying to scare the others so they can steal and..."
"They are real Zora! I saw one yesterday. Luckily we were able to shoot it down, the thing moved so fast! And took so many bullets to die. And I examined it, even if briefly. Don't know how that can be, but I swear it was half-human."
"But Greg! He..."
"He will die, probably. There's no cure for this. A few, according to the rumours, don't die, but start to change... And they wake up as monsters, hungry monsters. I've heard people are calling them trolls!"

Trolls? Monsters? Hungry? Gregor raised one claw to where his "neck" would be, and to his horror found a thin chain. The mirror confirmed his fears, showing a well known medal, the one grandma, that many accused to be a witch, had wear every time he saw her. He used another claw to scratch his "arm". It cut deep, and hurt like hell! A thin stream of blood felt on the floor, but soon turned on a slow trickle and stopped. The pain was still there, but subsided just as fast as Gregor's terror grew. It was real! He became a monster! Everybody ran away! He was abandoned on a dark room, sick, dying on his bed! He wasn't himself! Not anymore! Anyone that saw him would run, screaming, or shoot! Why? Why he didn't just die like most?

Gregor felt his anger rising, together with his hungry. He'd eat anything... perhaps anyone! But that would make him even more a monster, wouldn't it? a murderous... troll! Then an idea came to his mind. He could still get away from that nightmare.
And so he began to break walls, trashing everything on his way. The pillars took a little more effort, but the monster he inhabited was surprisingly powerful, and his engineering studies helped hitting the right spots.
A creaking began to spread all around Gregor, as cracks expanded on the house walls and on the ceiling over his head. He felt happy and his monstruous body, covered in dust, rotated as in performing some weird, soundless dance. The nightmare would be over soon.

A violent sound, almost like a thunder, enveloped him as the walls collapsed and everything went dark.

To be continued ?

(And how could I think of transformation and change without stumbling on Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis? So I decided to take that (fantastic) first paragraph as the starting point...)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:03:28 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2021, 02:51:35 AM »
5. 10.2021 New Clothes

This 150-word thing is the continuation of 'Reynir in a bridesmaid's dress' from Day One.  Maybe next week I'll try to be less silly, or to branch out from ssss.

“What are you wearing to the wedding, then?” Reynir asked.

“This.” Onni indicated his grey rough-spun tunic.

“Really?!?”

“Yes. It’s my best outfit. What’s wrong with it?”

“Nothing! It’s very quaint. But Guðrún would prefer her guests to wear something more… colourful.”

“The embroidery is colourful.”

“Olive is a colour, sure.” Reynir tugged on his braid: he had noticed that this made his brain work better. It did not fail him! “I know! Since I am wearing this dress, you can have my tunic! You’re short, but you’re also very well-built, so it could work. And it’s the least you can do, after rejecting the dress!”

“Hmpf. Fine.”

“See? It looks great.”

“It does fit.” Onni rolled his shoulders. “One question, though.”

“Yes?”

“What do these runes do?”

“Oh, the runes?” Reynir felt his face colour. “They bring luck.”

It wasn’t a lie. Luck in love was still luck, right?

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2021, 02:59:59 AM »
Thegreyarea, what a clever idea! I think Minna said that troll shapes are somewhat related to the original victim -- in this case, I guess his name.

I particularly enjoyed the part where it became clearer and clearer that he was in a post-rash house. And I do wonder at the significance of the necklace...

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2021, 03:20:25 AM »

“Oh, the runes?” Reynir felt his face colour. “They bring luck.”
It wasn’t a lie. Luck in love was still luck, right?

"Oh, you can't be serious!!", exclaimed Feyja as Taru walked in.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2021, 05:18:54 AM »
Olive is a color! It is! Theta I love the idea, and I hope the staves work! Did Reynir just add them specifically for Onni, or was Onni’s agreement to wear the tunic a result of the same staves working on Reynir’s behalf?

Grey, nuuu, horror! Like tehta, I liked the way it was becoming more and more clear to Gregor that not everything is ok. And I guess his destruction wasn’t enough to effect his destruction, if a continuation is in the thinking cap.