Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 32243 times)

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »
Thank you for your beautiful tale, Róisín
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 02:26:18 AM »
Day 4: Fir or Pine trees

Let us all welcome Alkia to the event, with a bit of stillness for our day.

Away from the city is Kitty,
Strutting through the firs in a forest all hers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:28:34 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 04:52:19 AM »
cute little kitty. and nice trees.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 05:57:09 AM »
That is a lovely Kitty!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2021, 06:03:08 AM »
Away from city
Kitty, strutting through the firs
A forest, all hers

Here goes my haiku version, inspired by your text!

That's a beautiful painting, Alkia! I love the way you managed to create depth of field with the overlaping trees, and of course that tiny lovely Kitty! Thank you!

(All even more admirable to me that never managed to work right with watercolours) :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:02:24 AM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 06:04:05 AM »
Very pretty! I love the trees, and the kitty is adorable. :)

Is that watercolor?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 08:51:22 AM »
Alkia, that's such a pretty painting!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »
Beautiful scene, Alkia!
I love the tall, enduring pine trees, and little Kitty, with her feline "Mine... all my world!" attitude.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
Grey started with the daily contribution in addition to the official one, and I follow suit. And Alkia, lovely spruce trees! Maybe one of them features shortly in my little story. Please have something about a

Pine tree

Everything ends. It had had an incredibly long life, and its body was still unwilling to cease. But too much is too much. The smashing and thrashing had finally ended it, and it lay lifeless  on the ground, trapped under the heavy weight.

Later
The mangled carcass poisoned its surroundings and it lay on bare rock. No animals came near it, and the bugs and critters knew better than taste the diseased flesh. Whether by some surprise blessing, luck, or sheer coincidence, no rashlings further crushed its bones either.

But everything ends, even supernatural pathogens. The cycles of sun and rain, freeze and thaw affect even stone, and finally its already atrophied flesh started to decompose. Fungi grew on it after the sun of sufficiently many summers had decontaminated it.

Later
Leaves and needles from the neighbouring trees had largely covered it. Moss grew on the bones, and the natural order of living things progressed. Nearby, on a warm and dry day, the scales of a pinecone opened. A woodpecker feasted on it, but one of the seeds fell to the ground and landed into a small hollow. There was just enough plant matter at the bottom, and some sun came through the same hole the seed had arrived through. So it settled there (after all, it hardly had any choice in the matter) and waited.

A bit later again
The snowmelt provided abundant moisture. The very thin soil under the seed may have been washed away, but it was snugly in the hollow and the soil stayed put. The seed grew a little root to hold itself and its soil to the ground. When that was secured, it started to try find some sun.

Still later
The seedling was struggling. The hollow had been a good place to get started, but was now too small for it. It had some needles in the sun, but it felt it was supposed to get more sun and grow more needles. A lot more! It grew branches, trying to find good positions for them. Oh, here was another hole! Double sunlight, double good!

Even later
The sapling was very proud. It had been bent into an awkward position, but it had spread its roots widely and strengthened so much that it had managed to raise the obstacle off the ground. Now it finally had room to grow into the great big tree it was supposed to become. Spreading its branches towards the sun, it fondly remembered the little hollow it had started in.

Much later
The young tree felt jubilant. Finally it had grown taller than the neighbors! Its branches were laden with pinecones, spreading its essence around. Except for that one branch that  was always in the shadow. There were no pinecones, as it bore stranger fruit.

Many decades  later
A little girl was skiing by. “Daddy! Look at that pine! What is that strange thing?”

“Hmm, it is strange indeed. Looks like some sort of a skull. But I have no idea what animal that could have been. It’s somehow... off.”

“But why is it high in the tree?”

“ Oh, honey, I don’t know. It looks very old. Not much is known of the Difficult Times.”

“Maybe someone put it there! A human hero!”

“Maybe they did... now that you mention it, I remember something! They used to do rituals out in the forests. Sometimes a mage would take the skull of a slain beast, and place it high in a tree to release the spirit of the beast back to Tapio and Mielikki. I think it was called Kallohonka.”

The pine tree felt a weird sensation. The skull cracked and fell to the ground, and that one branch was free! It felt lighter, but for some reason also a little sad. A strange little whirlwind blew for a second in its branches, ruffling its needles. The wind felt a little sad too, but also very happy. (How weird, the tree wondered, how could a wind feel anything?)

“Oh look daddy! It fell! Now it’s all broken! I would have wanted to study it! To see what kind of thing it used to be!”

“Well, maybe that’s for the best. Like I said, it must have been very old. You know it’s best not to touch Very Old things.”

“Yes, I know. But this one was all dry and clean. Look daddy, one tooth is unbroken! Can I take it? Please daddy please!”

“Well, let me see... You are right, it’s dry as, um, bone. You can take it I suppose.”

“Thank you daddy! Thank you Mielikki! I’m sure it will bring me blessings!”

A few kilometers away, in a warm den dug under a great big spruce, protected by thick snow, a young female bear stirred. For the first time, it felt the as of yet fluttering movement of new life in its womb. A cub then! Or maybe two.

Edit: spruce! No firs grow naturally in Finland! I always get them confused. Norwegian SPRUCE is the second most common tree in Finland.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:17:38 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Sevseres

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 06:00:58 PM »
Pretty pines for a pretty kitty!

And such a lovely fic too. I love these kind of stories with a quiet, relaxing tone of hope even in harsh surroundings.
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:40 PM »
Alkia, that is a lovely forest and a lovely kitty owning at all, as only a cat can. Well captured in art and words. And nice haiku-ification, grey! Jitter, I like the hopefulness that there would be a time when current SSSS-time could be the half-forgotten Difficult Times.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 07:58:06 PM »
Thank you so much everyone!!! I like your haiku, Grey, I'm surprised to see how well my little rhyme lends itself to haiku form  :)). And yes, Tarnagh, it is watercolor

Jitter, I love your fic!!!! I've always liked stories from the point of view of seemingly simple/not sentient things, and this one is lovely. You've inspired me to draw this scene, I just can't resist the image of a mossy, mushroom-covered bear skeleton with a little pine sapling growing out of it!!
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »
Jitter when I read your text, i was hit by inspiration.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2021, 12:29:55 AM »
Day 5: (How to Catch) Lalli

Lalli the Bear Beast, that is, although it's easy to mistake - as Grade E Cat tells us today!

One thing in common with the bear

When he and Onni came into Keuruu’s main eating area with their respective evening meals, Tuuri was already sitting at their usual table, alternating between giggling harder than she had in years and catching her breath. She eventually calmed down enough to show them the book she had brought with her: the latest version of the bear beast registry, which was one of the documents she consulted regularly to make up for the fact that she couldn’t approach actual trolls and beasts. According to it, Lalli now had a namesake bear, an easily slain caterpillar-like creature with a vulnerable belly. Lalli promptly decided to distance itself from it:
-I have nothing in common with it.

Tuuri interrupted her giggles:
-Nope, you do have something in common with it.

As Lalli was pondering whether asking what it was would be good idea on not, Tuuri tickled his belly under the table. His reaction was both way too visible and way too noisy to go unnoticed by anyone in the eating area who wasn’t both deaf and blind. For the next few days, Lalli was more grateful than usual that he was on the shift with the fewest people who cared about base gossip. When it came to people he interacted with during daytime, sticking with Onni for the rest of the week had worked until some of the teasing had crossed the line between “acceptable” and “unacceptable”, warranting disciplinary action. By the time said disciplinary action had been dated enough to risk the teasing starting again, people in Keuruu base had found another piece of amusing information with which to entertain each other. Any remarks about his “vulnerable belly” that popped up once in a while were assumed to be one of the many jokes about how cat-like he was. As much as Lalli hated the creatures, they were much less embarrassing to have things in common with than the caterpillar-bear.

xxxx

He did have another thing in common with cats, come to think of it. He only let people he trusted and occasionally medics touch him. Especially certain parts, including his belly. He never thought he’d leave that much leeway to someone who wasn’t Tuuri, Onni or trying to treat a wound in that specific place. For some reason, he remembered that bear beast for the first time in a long time. Maybe it was because they were in the middle of chasing three other ones. Emil whispered, as to no wake the tent’s other occupants:
-Hey, Mikkel told me something strange today. Apparently, Tuuri told Reynir to tell Mikkel to tell me to check the Finnish bear beast registry if I got the chance. Is there anything in there you think I should know?

The answer was easy:
-No.

-Good, I wasn’t sure trying to find a copy was worth the effort, anyway.
Lalli knew Emil was strangely uninterested in books for someone who had trained to work with them at some point, but this was an upside of the situation he hadn’t thought of before. If he didn’t risk waking Mikkel up, he would have probably kissed Emil on the spot. He seemed to be in the middle of falling back asleep, anyway. Lalli heard a voice coming from his other side:
-You are aware of the fact that we will need to get that registry updated if we manage to slay those bears and get back to civilization, right?
For a brief moment, Lalli thought becoming part of the Kade didn’t sound so bad.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:50 AM »
Grade E Cat, it's a good thing I know enough to put down my mug before reading any of the fanfics here! That was hilarious!

Jitter, loved your fic, in a different way. It's heartening to look for what good may develop from current sadness, and recall that the world has a longer view than any single one of us.

Moredhel, lovely art from your inspiration!

Everyone is filling the chapter break with support and encouragement!