Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 25554 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2021, 12:42:48 PM »

JoB, that's very interesting! I don't recall reading any story from you. Is that a first?

Vulpes... I'm still laughing about it! So very very Emil! (While I'm sure that as someone that never slept a night outside solid walls I'd probably feel exactly like Emil, and also probably take less time to use the torch... ). But now I want more of Emil training and cleansing times!

Thank you all so much! :)

I don’t recall reading any story from JoB either. Maybe he’s just punishing us for wrangling him to do it and doesn’t even have a scenario built? this is definitely what I choose to believe instead of a plan to attack Sweden

Vulpes’ story about Emil’s training is a bit more wholesome than the stories on AO3, at least the ones I have happened to come across   😚  :emil:
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
Vulpes’ story about Emil’s training is a bit more wholesome than the stories on AO3, at least the ones I have happened to come across   😚  :emil:

Apparently I'm pure of mind...  :'D  Thanks for the heads-up! I will remember that if I'm looking at AO3.

I went camping with a group of fellow students during my PhD training. We arrived at a national park in early evening, and spent the first night in a site very close to the park entrance, where lots of people come for day trips. Anyone who has visited a national park is probably aware that it's these sites where all the mooching animals turn up, because it's where they're likely to find goodies. Setting up tents in the half-dark, someone left some fruit on a picnic table. In the middle of the night I was wakened by snarling and scuffling right outside the tent. At first my heart rate went through the roof because it sounded so big - a bear! - but then good sense prevailed, and I realised it was a couple of raccoons squabbling. Sure enough, there were raccoon tracks all over the place in the morning. But my tent-mate crawled out, wide-eyed, and asked, "Did you hear the BEARS last night?!?"  :))
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »
JoB, that's very interesting! I don't recall reading any story from you. Is that a first?
Nnnnnnooooo, I'm usually right out when it comes anywhere remotely near arts, but I still much rather write than draw, and even that happened repeatedly ...

I don’t recall reading any story from JoB either. Maybe he’s just punishing us for wrangling him to do it and doesn’t even have a scenario built? this is definitely what I choose to believe instead of a plan to attack Sweden
Suuure, the characters are outright talking about a "plan B to overcome those Swedish electrified fences" but there's no intent whatsoever "to attack Sweden" ... anyone having a guess at what plan *A* is, given the term "hyppäänalle"? 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2021, 05:15:45 PM »
Cool little story, Vulpes. I love how Emil every sentence is. And I too would get that light on, sorry cleansers!
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:31 PM »
Nnnnnnooooo, I'm usually right out when it comes anywhere remotely near arts, but I still much rather write than draw, and even that happened repeatedly ...
I really like those drawings! (and visiting old Forum pages. So much awesomeness!) But did you wrote any story here in the Forum before? I'd love to read! And I'm not alone. :)

Suuure, the characters are outright talking about a "plan B to overcome those Swedish electrified fences" but there's no intent whatsoever "to attack Sweden" ... anyone having a guess at what plan *A* is, given the term "hyppäänalle"? 8)
Connecting your story and the translation Google gives me on that term I would say that plan A is...
(under spoilers if someone wants to develop its own theory without any influence)
Spoiler: show
Creating big (bear) beasts that share frog's ability to jump so they are able to pass over Swedish fences and walls?
(imagines a horde of "bearfrogs" arriving at the walls of some settlement and jumping over it. Mayhem follows.)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2021, 01:23:05 AM »
Connecting your story and the translation Google gives me on that term I would say that plan A is...
(under spoilers if someone wants to develop its own theory without any influence)
Creating big (bear) beasts that share frog's ability to jump so they are able to pass over Swedish fences and walls?
(imagines a horde of "bearfrogs" arriving at the walls of some settlement and jumping over it. Mayhem follows.)

I’m for some reason thinking that...

they are planning some sort of a trojan. Maybe because dalanalle reminds me of dalahäst, i.e. the Dalarnas horse (toy/decoration). Also the talk of where the labs would be located makes me think it’s an infiltration scheme.

“Hyppäänalle” makes me think of drop bears as well :) 

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2021, 02:12:19 AM »
Day 18:  Bear v Moose

We were all greatly amused with Job's story earlier this week, right?  Well, hold onto your antlers because he's back with more grossling shenanigans!  Spoilered solely for length.

Spoiler: rather long story is how job bills it: show

The Breach of Pälli

My name is Yrjö Kirves, and I'll take your "knowledge" from you.

It's unavoidable, really, short of you turning around and leaving right away. People have so many prejudices that fly in the face of reality that I just keep running into them as a conversation continues, and I'm sorry, but I can't help trying to correct them. It usually starts the moment I mention that I'm with the Finnish Navy, which, in most, conjures images of a seasoned sailor with a patience to match the weeks-long doldrums his captain accidentally brought the ship into; then, I specify that I'm posted to operate the lock of Pälli, and everyone suddenly "remembers" how the Saimaa Canal, in spite of others means of travel than by ship, was always considered a busy bottleneck in ancient times.

The Rash has essentially turned that completely around, you see. These days, ship crews cannot get into the next safe harbor fast enough, and while the Saimaa Canal now is the only connection between the Southeastern part of our nation and the rest of the Known World, the Navy would probably reduce the lock crews to just one guy each if it weren't necessary that people out there watch each other's backs. Good thing that traffic is relatively low, I must add, because if ships were waiting in line to pass the locks like they did before the Rash, the canal would attract grosslings from all over the place to the point that the entire Doomed Army of Kastrup couldn't hold a single one of the locks.

Speaking of the crews of two, I'm teamed with Ritva here. Don't expect him to contribute much to the smalltalk, he chooses to speak every once in a blue moon; somehow, every task in our daily worklife that requires talking magically falls to me. Not that I mind, but occasionally, I wonder whether my family made some non-Finnish contribution to my ancestry into a bit too much of a family secret for me to know about it.

Yes, I'm serious about the canal not being overly busy a place anymore. As a matter of fact, we used to have a rowboat that we kept right in the lock's chamber, thus blocking part of the clear width, and nobody ever suggested that we move it out of the way.

"What do you do with a rowboat in a canal everyone zips through as fast as their engines permit," I hear you ask, which takes us straight to another common prejudice. People traveling on the canal see us sitting in our fortified control towers, a showcase of up-to-date defense technology condensed into a ten-or-so meters radius, bristling with pikes, barbed wire, and stuff that I'm not allowed to talk about, and promptly think that that has got to be the safest place for miles around, any day. It isn't, for the simple reason that the days where you do see a troll or something of that size run up to impale itself are quite rare. Vermin beasts are far more common, and since it is only ten-or-so meters from the perimeter to the tower, even our bunch of ever-vigilant cats does not offer you a guarantee that you won't wake up as one of those nabs your feet and tries to turn you into a Swede. An infected Swede if they could help it, but of course everyone working out there is required to be immune.

So what we did whenever one of us really needed a good night's sleep was to lower the water level as much as we can, the guy would attach the rowboat with lines to four anchors in the corners of the chamber, his colleague would up the water level again, and hey presto, rowboat not moving an inch from the center of the chamber, with four meters of open water on all sides; that's what keeps the creepy munchies away from you. Man, I would really like if we could get another boat, but Vellamo knows where Ritva even got the half-rotten one we had ...

How we managed to lose it? Oh. Oh, now you've done it. Because that happened thanks to the king of prejudices, the guy who would boldly make assumptions where no man had dared to assume before, Leif, the "vile-ling exterminator" from Norway, as he calls himself.

... yes, yes, I've heard the "Leif and Death" moniker; from his very own mouth, in fact. He told us that it was the media and the storytellers who graced him with that name, and I'm under the impression that he's not really happy to share his fame with an imaginary partner, so I'd rather avoid calling him that to his face.

Anyway, the day he barreled into our lives saw a ship arriving at our lock from Saimaa, and as soon as we had closed the upstream gate behind them, Vihainen and Kummituskaiku offered us a little afternoon concert.

... what?? No, of course not! Who in his right mind would call a ship "The Angry One" or "Ghost Echo"!? No, we're talking about the two most important resident grosslings of our area at the time. Their philosophical discussions tended to turn to the loud side every now and then.

Of course, it is drilled into the head of every crewman what the proper procedures are in that kind of situation: Everyone goes to a safe area, in case you aren't already like you should, batten down the hatches, and the lock crew raises the water level in the chamber as fast as they can and keep the fingers on the buttons for the upstream gate, the sirens, and the blinkenlights.

... well, three reasons for the water level, actually. First, the ship rises along with it; no need to allow a grossling appearing at the chamber edge to jump down onto the deck when you can force it to clamber up instead. Second, should there be an attacker who can bust the downstream gate, the water and the ship will come crashing down on it. Third, should it get to work on the upstream gate instead, you don't want the water to come crashing down onto the ship. And the buttons part is in case something on the level of a giant comes a-knocking; in that situation, the ship has a better chance of survival if it makes a run for it while the lock crew distracts the giant and gets steamrollered by it. Even if the ship has to go full speed astern all the way.

But nothing of that happened on that day. Instead, one of the fortified ship doors flew open with a BANG, a guy with an oversized rifle in his hands jumped on deck, and started to look around with wild eyes, apparently in search for something to use the gun on. Not being satisfied with the selection, he jumped off the ship and on terra firma and vanished into the forests before the ship crew could grab him and pull him back inside.

To give credit where credit is due, Leif is no stranger to seeing his errors after the fact, or making fast decisions, which is to say that he gave up his search and returned to the lock while Vihainen and Kummituskaiku were still in concert, and the ship still kept safely-ish between the closed gates. But of course that didn't help him any, because once again, the protocols were perfectly clear: Having ventured into the Silent Lands, Leif was to go to quarantine. And since neither the ship nor the lock complex had any facilities to that effect, it naturally fell to the side with the 100% immunity rate - unlike the ship with its passengers - to dig him a nice pit or whatever.

"I don't understand why I wasn't able to locate that grossling," was the first thing he complained about after he was finished griping about the ship leaving him behind.
"That's because there were two of them," I replied, "they're called Vihainen and Kummituskaiku. They stay apart, but frequently keep responding to each other's growling for quite a while."
"Two of them? Well, that explains why I kept running in circles following their calls. What kind of critter are they?"
"Vihainen is a beastified bear. It seems to live in the woods near this lock, or at least that's the only place it's ever been heard calling; it stays out of our sight, so we don't have much of an idea what it does at other times."
"... wait, if you've never seen it, how do you know ... ?"
"We have never seen it. High command is worried that one day, they might have to do repairs or a rescue operation or somesuch that cannot be done entirely through the canal itself, so every now and then, they send a scout to check on the ancient roads and bridges that still offer access to the canal by land. It's those scouts that investigated when they heard Vihainen sing, and also named both of them."
"And the other, Kummi...kaiju, wasn't it, what kind of beast is it?"
"We have no idea."
"... why? Were the scouts unable to track it, like with ... uh ... Helluvanäkki, for example?"
"No ... Kummituskaiku keeps its distance from us, due East, while the canal continues to the South, and later Southwest. Scouting the canal is not exactly a popular assignment, the scouts will have a peek at Vihainen when they have an opportunity, but not go all the extra miles to meet with Kummituskaiku."
"Hm. So the nearby one is a bear beast ..."
Little did I know how much I would rue this little exchange.

Leif's quarantine crawled by uneventfully, the biggest surprise being that he would ask a ship back into Saimaa to pick him up, rather than continue in the direction of the ship he had jumped from. We thought that he wanted to first replace his luggage, rather than trying to chase down the one that went to see the Known World without him before he would run out of donated underwear, but a couple months later, we received orders from high command to prepare to have an expedition set up base camp at our lock and support them in whatever way necessary. The commander of that expedition being no other than Leif.

Another week later, a ship from Saimaa made a mysterious request that we should wait for their OK before lowering the water level in the chamber. We knew that the expedition had arrived when there was another BANG and Leif appeared on the deck, looking a little less trigger-happy than the last time.

Not that he was in a particularly good mood, mind, because apparently everyone he had asked to join his expedition had preferred to leave all the glory to its courageous leader alone, making the "expedition" into a one-man field trip. He was so enraged, or so we thought, that he started to haul boxes and crates out of and off the ship without asking anyone for help, lifting some of them around as if they weighed pretty much nothing.

"Those are what the ancients called 'loudspeakers'. There actually is mostly air inside."
"Ah ... so you intend to have stern words with Vihainen?"
"Heheh, in a fashion. It won't be hearing me, though. This ancient equipment is able to make a recording of sounds and play that back, amplified, through the loudspeakers."
"... you want Vihainen to chide itself?"
"No, I'm going to make a recording of ... that other guy and give Vihainen the impression that its old rival has waltzed in to call it a pushover to its face. Vihainen won't even know that it's dealing with humans until I can safely make the shot, so what could go wrong?"
The fact that he stopped talking so that his mouth could instead showcase an ear-to-ear grin told me that this guy meant what he just had said, as amazing as this might sound.
"... say, you wouldn't happen to be from Dalsnes, would you ... ?"

We were granted a couple days off serving the expedition - to make our last will and testament, we suspected - as Leif distributed the "loudspeakers" in the lock's surroundings, running and burying cables from each to a control unit he put into our tower. Then he prepared a smaller but heavier box, calling it the "recorder", and continued to do ... nothing. "I need Vihainen and his friend to have another 'concert', as you put it," he explained, "no use being out and about with the recorder when there's nothing to record." It turned out that ticket sales were rather slow, and several weeks passed before the artists were heard to warm up for their performance. Leif grabbed his recorder and shot out and into the woods even faster than the first time, which is to say that there was another BANG and we were in quite a hurry to get that damn door closed again before anything would get the idea to investigate the noise.

By the way, a bunch of cats that just cannot get their heads wrapped around what that suicidal two-legs just did looks absolutely adorable.

The concert lasted into the early afternoon, and Leif, who obviously had ran toward Kummituskaiku for as long as he could hear it, did not return until after dark. That's how we found out that he's not afraid of the dark at all, either; good for him, as it was only his incautiously calling out for us as he approached the lock that kept Ritva from giving him a literal shot in the dark.

"So, you're going to give Vihainen a da capo now?", I asked with clear dislike in my voice. Leif had put our rowboat into its "sound sleep" position, but had insisted that none of us should sleep in it or even be outside the control tower until his mission was accomplished, and Ritva and I were on the brink of a somewhat irritable state even without Leif waking us in the middle of the night.
"No, not now," he replied, "I still have to shoot Vihainen to kill it, and neither darkness nor the risk of being blinded by a low sun are conducive to that." And with that, he managed to drop into a seat and be fast asleep faster than ourselves.

Once the sun had risen over the imaginary yardarm, Leif connected the recorder to his control panel, sat down at it and, Odin help me, flexed his fingers as if he was preparing to play an organ. Before long, we heard a single bellow of Kummituskaiku emanate from a bush in the opposite direction of where Vihainen would usually be. "I want it to travel at a low angle across the lock complex and be well audible where Vihainen will hopefully be," Leif explained. After a second replay, a half confused, half irate reply from Vihainen revealed that it was indeed roughly in the place Leif had expected it to be, near the stage it had used for its last appearance. Leif continued to impersonate Kummituskaiku, occasionally switching to a different loudspeaker "so as not to give Vihainen the idea that its rival is sitting in a fixed spot it can storm into, just in case it might make such a bold move."

Again, I must grant Leif the honor of unexpected aptitude, this time in the form of keeping up the rusical for several hours without Vihainen getting the idea that it was being played like a fiddle - or a contrabass, rather. Finally, we could discern something moving in the shadows off our North. "Bad line of approach," Leif muttered, and the next loudspeaker to have its solo was one in the Southeast, the direction where Kummituskaiku would usually be heard from. Vihainen obliged and disappeared into the woods again, until its footfalls were heard due East, the lock chamber being a broad obstacle if it would turn WSW. And sure enough, the next tempting aria Leif unleashed was a particularly defiant-sounding one out of a loudspeaker he had put on the other side of the canal.

A deafening roar revealed that Vihainen finally accepted as fact that his rival had actually crept into the middle of his territory, and the fast-approaching sound of branches cracking as something large bent them out of its way made it clear which kind of action it planned to take against that. Which, as I mentioned, had it run right up to the side of the lock chamber.

From the descriptions of Vihainen that the scouts had delivered, we had an idea how large it was, but its speed and how far it would be able to jump were still unknowns. I'm pretty sure that it would have been able to jump clean across the chamber - a distance of about fifteen meters -, but why would it if there was a perfectly well-positioned stepstone in the very center?

And that is how we lost our rowboat, reduced to splinters as a beastified bear crashed clean through it and dove into about ten meters of water in the chamber; of course Leif hadn't filled it all the way to the upstream level, but had the surface remain about three meters below the edge of the chamber, lest Vihainen would simply climb out.

Needless to say, that was the moment when Leif would come storming out of our tower, wielding an even larger gun than the one he carried way-back-when, and proceeded to make holes into what was not only water anymore. Not as unceremonious as shooting fish in a barrel, as there were ladder rungs and other things in the chamber walls that Vihainen possibly could have gotten a hold on as it tried to get out, but the outcome was still quite easy to predict.

Well, unless you're a cat, I suppose. Still, they were a really adorable clowder that day.

The deed having been done, and with the cats having realized that the foolish hyooman had actually managed to kill the Big Bad, the three of us stood by the chamber's side to have a closer look at what remained of Vihainen. I'm pretty sure that only one of us was not musing what it would take to get the entire chamber disinfected before we could allow the next ship to enter it, but flowing water is a pretty good tool to at least get started with that. Leif was more concerned about how to get at least a sizeable chunk of Vihainen out of the chamber and into the sunlight to allow for it to be made into a trophy, of course. But all in all, we were in a pretty good mood - until another sound made us stop our chatter abruptly. Well, with the exception of Ritva.

"... did you leave your loudspeakers running?", I asked in a hushed voice, because it had sounded very much like an amplified Kummituskaiku.
"No, of course not," Leif replied. "But you said that it keeps its distance, didn't you?"
"It used to, I'm afraid," I offered while pointing a finger to the East, which we had turned our backs to to peer into the chamber.

We all immediately knew what it was, of course. Apart from maybe the Icelanders, every grown-up in the Known World knows what an elk antler looks like; almost all of them have held a dropped one in their hands at some point, after all. Seeing a double pair of deformed ones isn't enough to render them unrecognizable, it clarifies that you're looking at an elk that will likely far exceed its natural lifespan and/or cut yours short, though.

I'm pretty sure that few people have seen such a quadruple float by above the treetops and heading straight into Saimaa, though. Or accompanied by a fanfare that suddenly had an unmistakably triumphant undertone.

"Guess I can put my finger on it now," Ritva suddenly spoke up. "The problematic part of your plan is where you kill the monster on our side first."
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2021, 02:20:06 AM »
But did you wrote any story here in the Forum before? I'd love to read! And I'm not alone. :)
Uuuuhhhh ... I remember one story that I actually posted to the forum, but that one was a complete failure (I intentionally tried to be as cryptic as can be) and didn't get a single reply. There might've been more, but I'm afraid that I'm not maintaining a registry ...

(I later had more success with outright riddles, rather than stories.)

... holy hoppin' horrors, turn the Swedish lab Ilmari and hyppäänalle arrive at into a breeding facility for a bearvasion army!? Sorry, I'm not that aspiring. ;D

Don't forget that, in order to travel between Jänissalo and Sweden, you have to pass by Väinö, a sentinel posted for the specific purpose of detecting and stopping kades and their usual thralls. So, the kade cannot come along to enslave the entire lab staff. And Ilmari has to be a very special kadeling to be able to make the trip undetected (repeatedly) ... ;)

I’m for some reason thinking that...
 they are planning some sort of a trojan. Maybe because dalanalle reminds me of dalahäst, i.e. the Dalarnas horse (toy/decoration). Also the talk of where the labs would be located makes me think it’s an infiltration scheme.

“Hyppäänalle” makes me think of drop bears as well :) 

Ayup, the general idea is that the Swedes will take Ilmari and the bear cub beast to a lab and they'll promptly escape from there to cause a major breakout in neighboring settlements, preferably right in the post-Rash "capital of Scandinavia" (where some 80% of the Swedes live now, in blissful ignorance of how magic and kades even work) ...

BTW, I chose the title because "teddybear" translates to "nalle" in both Swedish and Finnish, leaving it unclear who's the one scheming here. >:D

... but doesn't "hyppäänalle" translate to "jumping teddybear", then? Curse you, Transgarble. :'( Team Finland was so happy that the generals were content with the portrait photo that Ilmari brought, rather than asking for one showing the cub's hind legs and thus giving one of its secret weapons away prematurely ...

Spoilered solely for length.
(... I admit that both stories would merit a "SSSS typical horrors" content warning, especially now that I can compare them to the other submissions of this chapter break filler, but I finished and submitted them before the topic of such warnings arose in that other thread ...)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2021, 05:18:05 AM »

(... I admit that both stories would merit a "SSSS typical horrors" content warning, especially now that I can compare them to the other submissions of this chapter break filler, but I finished and submitted them before the topic of such warnings arose in that other thread ...)

I may have been watching a bit of Reykjavik Grapevine lately, and now have become thoroughly accustomed to the idea of catastrophic news delivered by a man playing Frisbee golf with his dog, which matches the tone of your second story fairly exactly.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »
JoB,

You are correct, hyppäänalle is jump + bear, it just reminded me :) We would probably say hyppynalle, as hyppy is the noun for a jump while hyppää is one form of the verb to jump. But it is what you were looking for.

Silmätähti is kind of special, it feels a bit wrong which I guess works well in this case :) Tähtisilmä is an endearment complementing someone’s (usually a woman or sometimes a child) bright eyes.

And, it doesn’t matter but Ritva is a female namw :) 

I don’t think warnings are needed when we are at level with canon violence, especially as the description wasn’t that vivid. In some other context yes, but the Forum has a general content guideline that canon-typical violence may occur. Detailed description of gore and/or body horror would definitely require a warning (or go to the mature board) but I don’t see anything like that in these, bearing in mind that the audience is expected to be SSSS fans :)

JoB

« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2021, 10:50:00 AM »

Silmätähti is kind of special, it feels a bit wrong which I guess works well in this case :) Tähtisilmä is an endearment complementing someone’s (usually a woman or sometimes a child) bright eyes.

Well, if it "feels a bit wrong", maaaaybe that is because it's another hint ... ? >:D

(Nah, if I understand you correctly, you're referring to a different kind of "wrong" than the one I meant it to be ...)

FWIW, it's Transgarble's suggestion when I threw ye ole German "Augenstern" ("star of my eyes") at it.

And, it doesn’t matter but Ritva is a female namw :)

... whoops. Shoulda have looked that up, seeing that my source doesn't specify ... O:-)
(Though I was trying to insinuate physical appearance only, not necessarily gender.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:53:05 AM by JoB »

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
JoB, I really enjoyed your story! Ingenious, funny... And I don't think it's long, at all (since mine was longer ;)  ). I do enjoy the amount of detail (the beasts names are great!) and all the references to SSSS pages and more!

I hope we can read many more from you in the Future!

Also I noticed that Star Trek reference!
"the guy who would boldly make assumptions where no man had dared to assume before."

And the Kaiju!
"And the other, Kummi...kaiju, wasn't it, what kind of beast is it?"

... whoops. Shoulda have looked that up, seeing that my source doesn't specify ... O:-)
(Though I was trying to insinuate physical appearance only, not necessarily gender.)
Allow me to suggest a source that is very interesting, covering all nordic names. It includes names and surnames and a bit of history/etymology. I found it very useful when I'm writing.
https://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Main_Page
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:03:06 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
JoB, that was great - for some silly reason I have it in my head that Leif was using a big reel-to-reel tape recorder, perhaps just to make it that much more over the top. You did describe it as heavier...

And of course it brought to mind Purple Wyrm's recent edit...

<snip> ...catastrophic news delivered by a man playing Frisbee golf with his dog...<snip>

:))
I only saw one piece from the Reykjavik Grapevine, and there was no dog involved, but it was a little... different. Obviously I must continue procrastinating learning about Icelandic volcanology and find this report!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
I was a tiny bit late to the punchline of vermin beasts trying to turn people into Swedes.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
Day 19:  Hunting and/or Game

It's totally a myth that all Australian fauna is out to kill you, isn't it, Róisín?  At least, that was the conventional wisdom pre-Y0, before... well, read on!

HUNTING AND GAME

Alan cursed as his rifle clicked and failed to fire. The hog deer he had had in his sights startled and bounded away, terrified in a way that he had never seen in years of hunting in his native mountains. Then he saw what had been following the deer, and felt the same terror that it had shown.

The thing might, once, have been a dog. Finding a loose feral dog was not unusual here, even finding one that was big enough and savage enough to attack a man. That was why, when he walked in the wilder parts of the land between his home in Erica and his brother’s land in Walhalla, or as far up into the mountains as Wood’s Point, Cooper Creek  or Maidentown, he carried a rifle even when he wasn’t hunting. There was also the rumour of the big cats. Alan wasn’t especially worried about those. They might stalk a human, but from what he had seen, they seemed to act more from curiosity than from malice or hunger, but one could never be too sure.

So before he went any nearer to the thing that was following the deer he checked his hunting rifle, standing as still as he could while doing so, and trying to remember what his Cornish grandfather had told him about going unnoticed should he meet something dangerous in the bush. Focused on its prey, the thing seemed not to see him while he made sure his hunting knife was loose in its sheath and checked that his rifle was clear, with nothing stuck or jammed. Then he began to creep closer.

He soon realised that whatever this thing actually was, it certainly wasn’t a normal dog of any kind. There were far too many teeth, some of them in places where no kind of dog he had ever heard of should have teeth. And he was used to dogs that were dumped out here being the kinds that turned out to be bigger or hungrier or less well behaved than their owners had assumed the cute puppies they bought would become, while the dogs that were lost or just left behind by hunting parties were most often beagles or pigdogs.

This dog was in no way normal. It might at some point have resembled an Akita, a breed of dog that Alan neither liked nor trusted even when it was not wandering loose in an  area where feral dogs were a dangerous nuisance. But this was bigger than any Akita he had ever seen, and it seemed to be in some way.......deformed?

What troubled him most, however, was the smell of the animal, and how it....... felt? Alan didn’t know what to call that sense, but he was glad of it when it gave him warning of a snake too near his feet, a branch about to fall, or when it just produced a strong feeling of ‘don’t step there’ in an area of swamp that turned out to be far deeper than he had expected. His grandpa had always said that back in Cornwall he might have become a bard or even a druid in the Gorsedh Kernow, but Alan wasn’t even sure what that actually was. However, what he did know was that this thing just felt......wrong.

He was still debating what to do when the creature charged.

By pure instinct Alan brought the heavy knife up in time to deflect the strange dog from his face, and to drive the blade into its heart. Or into where he would have expected its heart to be. But nothing happened, other than that the thing twisted in midair and locked its jaws around his forearm. He could not suppress a scream of pain, but managed to bring the knife around and stab it into the side of the dog’s head. He was surprised when it fell off the blade with a pathetic whimper and did not move again.

Alan wrapped his scarf around his bleeding arm and began to walk shakily back toward where he had left his ute. He was almost there when the cat stepped into his path. The panther-sized, jet black cat, with faintly glowing eyes and an oddly curled tail. Before he could raise a weapon the cat spoke in his mind.

“You did well,” it said. “But you need to have help for when this happens again. Welcome this young creature as a friend. It will help you to call on the Land as you need, and warn you when these......things are near. Feed it, care for it and it will stand by you and keep you safe to do your task, as its children’s children’s children will do for your descendants until this plague has gone from your world. This is not my world, but I live here, and would not see it fall in such an unnatural way. Talk to the marngits at Lake Tyers, then to your brothers, and see what, with all of you working together, can be saved. Farewell, and good luck.”

Before Alan could speak or move, the huge cat was gone, but from the bushes in front of him stumbled a very young and somewhat battered-looking quoll joey. Alan recognised what it was because his older brother kept a similar-looking one that had wandered into his house last winter. He knew that the proper term for it was a joey, because it was a marsupial baby, but he could not help thinking of the tiny animal as a kitten.