Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 47485 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #555 on: October 31, 2021, 01:10:49 AM »
The doctor wants me to have the third (booster) shot because I am immunocompromised from chemo.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #556 on: October 31, 2021, 03:32:08 AM »
The doctor wants me to have the third (booster) shot because I am immunocompromised from chemo.
So far, German regulations give the nod to booster shots (usually at the six-months-past mark) for immunocompromised people, those aged 70+, and a couple other conditions (that I don't remember offhand). However, the federal minister of health has now brought up a suggestion to effectively hand out boosters to every (willing) adult.

Relevant (IMHO) background info: It seems that the government is willing to donate the upcoming national surplus of vaccines to the Covax initiative, but the contracts say that in that case, the manufacturers effectively have veto rights - and, of course, a commercial interest to sell more doses than strictly necessary, even at a markdown ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #557 on: November 18, 2021, 10:02:58 PM »
Latest update here in South Australia today is no new cases, one case still active in the whole state, no deaths. May this continue! One can only hope. I think a large part of this is that most people here are actually doing the mask/distancing/hand washing thing, and that the authorities are being a bit more careful about hotel ‘quarantine’ than they had been - our last few bad outbreaks have been infections that spread out from the quarantine hotels (which are in the middle of the city) via staff who were infected by patients, lousy air conditioning that spread the virus from infected patients to uninfected people in quarantine, guards or staff who happened to be in the hotel corridors when doors were opened and when they did not have adequate PPE, or some people who just decided that they had had enough and found ways to get out - we have one of those loose at present. But the overall trend seems to be fewer infections.

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2021, 11:13:11 PM »
In Victoria there were more than 1,200 cases and twelve deaths reported yesterday, while at the same time meanwhile COVID-19 restrictions are being eased.
Demonstrations against the expected restrictions to be imposed once vaccinations pass the 90% level have been both large and impassioned, with nooses being displayed and a man arrested after he called for people to bring guns to the demonstrations and Premier Daniel Andrews to be killed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:43:53 AM by Yastreb »
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2021, 06:10:17 AM »
Yastreb, I find myself really worried about the protestors over there. They seem to have picked up the more extreme ‘freedum’ nonsense of the American far right, and that may well see many more deaths. Wish you were here where you could be a little safer. Look after you and yours as you can!

Yastreb

« Reply #560 on: November 19, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »
I wish I was there so I could be more help to you, Róisín.

I'll be on my guard. My friends, bless the Fates, seem to be in the sensible end of the continuum.

Róisín

« Reply #561 on: November 20, 2021, 04:39:55 AM »
I am relieved to hear that! Look after yourself!

Yastreb

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #563 on: November 20, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
I did get some amusement from this...
Quote from: The Guardian
A Sydney demonstrator carried a “kill the bill” sign, despite there being no such bill in NSW
Chances are he'd happily reply "I meant Gates, of course" ...

(Sorry for not quoting properly, but SMF's [quote] tag's a tad limited that way.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yastreb

« Reply #564 on: December 05, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »
Victoria recorded 1400 new cases yesterday, and about 1200 new cases today, with a total of twelve deaths on those two days combined. And in the middle of all that, we have "Freedom rallies" (superspreader events) still happening. The stupid... it burns!!

And in Róisín's state, Omicron cases have been reported; eighteen in all. Not a good sign.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #565 on: December 12, 2021, 12:38:47 PM »
The death by Covid-19 of a woman who had gotten a fake vaccination pass and didn't get proper treatment partly because she didn't tell anyone after ending up in the hospital made the news over here. The cynical part of my brain has a new counter-argument for if I ever end up interacting with someone pushing the "but some vaccinated people have gotten Covid" argument.

EDIT: To be clear, I already know there are still benefits to vaccination such as a lower probability of getting sick in the first place or getting a serious case if you do anyway. The key word above is "new".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:10:55 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Róisín

« Reply #566 on: December 13, 2021, 07:36:36 AM »
Yeah, vaccination doesn’t give you total immunity to covid, but if I understand correctly it does reduce your chance of catching it in the first place, and if you do catch it vaccination improves your chances of staying out of hospital and makes it far less likely that you will become direly ill, need to be ventilated or will die.

Thirteen new cases in SA today, I think a couple are Omicron. Three patients are in hospital, none in ICU. No deaths.

Had my booster shot, only side effect so far is headache and a very sore swollen arm at injection site, otherwise I seem to be okay.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #567 on: December 13, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
Meanwhile, Poland still has no compulsory vaccination and no restrictions for the unvaccinated. And there have been around 11000 new cases just today.

I swear, the government is trying to kill us all.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #568 on: December 13, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »
I knew you do not have the best govenrment possible in poland but this sounds insane.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #569 on: December 13, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »
It is, um, rather contradictory around here.

New York State's governor just reinstituted mask mandates; employers can choose whether to require masks or vaccination. But all the stores, restaurants and recreational places included, are open.

Area hospitals are cancelling elective surgeries in order to keep beds open for emergencies, because they're filling up with covid patients again.

Second county over from me -- maybe some others also -- have declared local emergencies.

One county over from me and also one county over from the emergency-declaring county, they're having a four day festival intending to bring people from all over the country; and apparently succeeding in that. Much of it's scheduled for outdoors, but not all; plus which all those visitors are going to stay somewhere, and not outdoors, not in New York State even in a global-warming December; plus which some of the outdoor stuff is crowded. There was a photo in the paper of a crowd jammed together, elbow to elbow, almost none of them masked (one masked person near the front of the photo looks, to me, like she's pretty unhappy about it.) -- the paper made no comment on the lack of masks; they were just reporting hey, look at this neat festival.

Me, I've gone back to staying home as much as reasonably possible, despite having been able to score three Pfizer shots. I'm 70 with three other risk factors. One of them, unfortunately, means I'm going to have to run around getting tests done.

Oh yes -- I seem to keep editing this post. But the county with the festival? Also has a high number of vaccine refusers. (So does mine. Some of it's politics, some of it's religion.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:37:22 PM by thorny »