Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 56615 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2020, 04:52:28 PM »
Oh no, Mélusine, I can't see how handling tactile littlies can be done 'safely' either.  And another 4 weeks in France, that's going hard.  We're going on 3 weeks in, and it hasn't been revealed quite yet whether we're extending or not.

Is there a stigma surrounding recovered CV19 patients?  I haven't noticed that here, but is this a thing elsewhere?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »

Is there a stigma surrounding recovered CV19 patients?  I haven't noticed that here, but is this a thing elsewhere?

Surely those recovered are seen as "safe" due to presumed immunity? I've been not following most news on purpose, but there was something about using blood plasma from recovered covid patients as a sort of vaccine. Sounds a little risky to me, but there are apparently people trying to catch it to gain immunity.

Of course if the virus mutates significantly, that immunity will be partial at best...

No idea how long we're expected to keep up the distancing here, they were projecting a peak in cases sometime in the fall... it's going to be a long haul.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 09:41:36 PM »
I can't help thinking that setting out purposefully to get this is, to put it mildly, folly.  I have heard from an old friend in New Jersey whose husband died rather suddenly last week, so she had him tested posthumously.  Sure enough, he was CV19 positive, but she and her daughter also were.  Her teenaged daughter was ill for a while but recovered, and she herself was asymptomatic.  Same strain, same household conditions, but such different responses.  I for one would not like to take my chances.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »
Here in Australia we seem to be flattening the curve pretty well - although it's possible that the reduced number of cases is due to less testing over Easter. We're incredibly lucky with the way thing are going - our total deaths are still in double digits, which makes looking at the figures from other countries just mind-boggling :(

I finally managed to find toilet paper at the supermarket on Saturday, so that's something at least.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »
Wave, that's it, don't take any chances. As your story tells, we never know how one will react. There's just too many cases of perfectly healthy people that died from this, which makes the "I want to get it to be immune" quite a stupid move.

Wrym, I'm happy to know that you are doing well. Australia already have too many problems lately. And the TP return is also a reason to celebrate! :)

We had the TP problem in Portugal, but now things are back to balance and there's no shortage (also there must be people with year-long stocks...). We seem to be doing well too, to the point there are talks about how the lockdown restrictions will be gradually lifted. A little too soon, I believe, but to have some planning ahead won't hurt.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 06:51:49 AM »
Surely those recovered are seen as "safe" due to presumed immunity?
The jury's still out on how reliable and how long-term the immunity from a cured case of Covid-19 actually is. Right now, the experts are discussing whether the handful patients in Asia that went pos-neg-pos are due to unreliable tests, a flareup of the original infection that was not quite gone yet, or an actual reinfection. (And IMHO that list is still missing the possibility of immunity simply being incomplete in the occasional patient.)

Having that said, stigmatization and facts/logic tend to be rather distant relatives.

but there was something about using blood plasma from recovered covid patients as a sort of vaccine.
Cure/treatment, not vaccine. The antibodies contained in the plasma flag the currently present viruses for the patient's immune system to combat; in order for it to deal with a later ingression, it has to learn to constantly produce antibodies itself.

Of course if the virus mutates significantly, that immunity will be partial at best...
As far as we currently know, the mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2 seems to be the "usual" one for coronaviruses. High enough to allow to determine which continent one's local outbreak has come from (hence the reports that the U.S. was primarily infected by travelers from Europe, not Asia), low enough not to invalidate the theory that the similarity to bat CoVs indicates that that's where it originally came from (possibly through another intermediary host species, though), and IIUC less than the mutation rate of the common flu.

I can't help thinking that setting out purposefully to get this is, to put it mildly, folly.
The jury is also still out on the question of residual long-term effects of an infection past. Lasting deterioration of lung and nerve tissues are possibilities currently on the table.

On the other hand, until effective treatments and/or vaccinations are available, herd immunity (after an estimated 60-70% of the populace had the infection) is the only thing that can reliably prevent (localized) outbreaks, and thus "extra" deaths due to insufficient healthcare resources. As a species, we're pretty much facing a "one ugly bird at hand or two in the making in the labs (and we don't have the slightest when we'll be able to get the latter)" choice there.

On a personal note ... I'm still out of nation to support family, and in the meantime, Germany introduced a general "two weeks of quarantine upon return" rule - which supposedly has been agreed upon on the federal level, but needs to be implemented as state jurisdiction. As a result, when I return home, I can be granted an exception from the rule, but as soon as I go on to my workplace, the stated exceptions in §2(1)5. go poof. O_o

(Also, out of the three states I can go through as I return, one is apparently unable to publish the actual legal wording online, and another version has apparently lost the explicit end date as their state government shoved the authority to issue the exact rules further down to its ministry of social affairs.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
They will have to explain to me how to work in a daycare with masks (Spoilers : it's not possible, either we scare the babies [...]
(I suppose that swaddling is as unusual in France as it is in Germany?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
(I suppose that swaddling is as unusual in France as it is in Germany?)
I never saw that. We have babies and young kids between now 4/5 months old and 3 years. I let you imagine how fast they would manage to take that off ^-^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »
JoB, you have obviously been paying much better attention than I have! A friend has recommended several nerdy podcasts, but by the time I have time to listen to them, it's late evening and I'm brain-dead from exam-related stuff. Looking forward to finishing the marking and being able to indulge more side-interests.

On the bright side, I won't be having a field research season this year because of covid, so I'll have more time for those side-interests!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
Here in Finland the restrictions of movement between Uusimaa and the rest of country were cancelled today. The difference in case incidence has decreased and intensive care capabilities have notably increased so the restriction became unjustifiable.

All it the other rules still stand and schools etc remain closed. I very much hope people don’t take this as a “back to normal” signal, because we could easily blow this up now and waste all that has been gained during recent weeks. Already over Easter weekend it was starting to look like people were slacking, there were more people in for example the play areas in the park than there should have been. Obviously we were also outside or we wouldn’t have seen, but we managed to keep distance on our way to the woods with doggo.

So far the restrictions have worked, we have about 3300 confirmed cases and both hospitalizations and no of patients in intensive care seem to be leveling. Deaths are steadily increasing but no explosion, as of today we have had 72. This is in stark contrast with Sweden, where the death toll has climbed to 1200. They aren’t so far even trying to do much to slow it. So, if we blow this up now, we know what’s coming. Hopefully we won’t!

I had my first project kick-off meeting over MS Teams and it was ok. But it is a lot harder! We’ll probably have to have a workshop like that too, it’s going to be a real challenge. I should look into “how to have good online meetings” well in beforehand.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 08:01:18 PM »
Newfoundland and Labrador is keeping restrictions in place at least for another couple of weeks, waiting to see if misbehaviour over the Easter weekend will cause a spike in cases. So far it's working well, but people are going to start getting antsy soon, if they aren't already.

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2020, 09:00:57 PM »
Here in midmichigan we're *just* out of the hot spots down south.
We've got perhaps 40 or do cases in the nearest city's with only a few deaths.
Our kids are delivering groceries to us so we don't need to expose ourselves except for Dr. visits and pharmacy pickups. 
My wife is getting a bit of cabin fever and I'm still too sick from chemo to care much either way.
Our kids are all doing well, they all still have jobs and are well.
My wife and daughter are sewing facemasks and donating them.
My daughter sells a few to get money to buy more material to make more. 
My wife dropped off a bag of them to a local grocery store run by a church (run as a nonprofit so cheap prices)
A couple of minutes later some of the staff were seen running some errands outside while wearing her masks. 😀
It's good to help.... 

The local blithering idiots league here in Michigan held a protest at our state capital, complaining about our strict shelter in place orders. Not a one with a mask or gloves while congregating in big groups...
It's all a government plot to make Trump look bad, ya know.
When I'm called to explain my sins in the next world, I'll have to admit to wishing (at times) to see a virus that killed off politicians and lawyers.  I may get to see the next best thing, one that kills off idiots instead...
Man, it's hard to maintain a positive attitude lately 😟😞😖
The positive thing is that people are really reaching out to help each other all over the world.
With a little luck folks will remember and reflect a bit on that before climbing back into the rat race.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
Never a truer word, Crumpite! Were those the fools driving around purposely gridlocking the roads to hospitals so ambulances couldn’t get through, because they don’t believe in the epidemic? That made the news even here. All you can do is care for you and yours, grow food and try to survive. Keep as safe as you can.

We are still alive despite the two clusters of idiot tourists who came to the Barossa to ride it out in luxury despite knowing some of their groups were infected. They were a few miles from here but the bunch who stayed at the Louise resort were almost next door to a friend who lives in the Barossa, an Afghanistan veteran who has just come out of hospital after major spinal surgery and is immunocompromised. That particular bunch of selfish fools visited wineries, shops and markets without a thought for who they were infecting. The penalty of our living in a food and wine tourism area, I suppose.

A lot of my work and income has disappeared. At this time of year I am usually taking foraging  classes out into the forest, as the cooler weather brings out the edible fungi and other wild foods. But not with this going on. But I am still selling my produce at the Farmers Market. We will survive. I’m more worried about husband, who is a much more social being than am I, and misses sitting at my market stall chatting to folk, or helping people sort out their computers or mobile phones. He finds the distancing hard. He is at least still able to chat on the internet with people.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »
The local blithering idiots league here in Michigan held a protest at our state capital, complaining about our strict shelter in place orders. Not a one with a mask or gloves while congregating in big groups...

And when one them says "People are sick and tired of it," the irony is staggering.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
Oh, you saw the article too? Star remarked that “Some people’s irony meters are totally broken!”. Reckon he is right.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!