Author Topic: SSSS Monopoly game  (Read 17633 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: SSSS Monopoly game
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2020, 06:28:49 AM »
Hi, friends. I think we need a plan to move forward this game. There’s a lot of work already done, and we “just” need a few more steps to make the Mini-Game playable, so we can test our concepts and fine-tune everything.
And, even better, play it :)

I’m finishing the mini-board (a few tweaks) and the game tokens for players and enemies. My idea is that we can print everything at home in normal A4 sheets. I’ll advance with values for the locations but they are just a first try so we can adjust later.

Having that concept in mind we would need:

1 – Numbered lists with the contents of the Fate, Scavenge and Dream World cards.

My idea is that we should limit each to 20 cards. That way, in the test phase, instead of printing and cutting all the cards we can simply print 3 sheets of paper and roll a 20 sided dice every time we need to draw a card. The dice can be found online or made at home with paper. I already downloaded a dice template and will provide it with the rest.

I don’t know how, in this case, the “prophetic vision” will work…

2 – Lists with all the locations and respective values for building houses, hotels and fortifications.

This can be a table for all locations, with 24 lines (locations) and 6 columns. I can make a first try of that too.
However, we still need to define how the “Haven” works. It’s like a location?

3 – Rules

We need to define the rules, both “normal” ones, that are basically the Monopoly rules with a few adaptations, and our “special” rules, with all the nice ideas that we spoke of.

We can use some free time due to the upcoming chapter break to make those things. What do you think?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2020, 06:38:14 AM »
It is too entertaining to be true. My work pause was worth it !
Lalli for the fun :

Kyara, I loved your Lalli! Wouldn't you want to use a few pauses to make the others? If you took note of the definitions some of us could eventually order them (if they are not ridiculously expensive).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
Grey, I agree. I have had the cards in a hiatus for a bit but I actually do have a bit more than the ones I have listed here.  Can promise to provide a list of 20 each by Easter. Can they still include items? Those could be separate tokens on just paper one holds, or simply have everyone have a sheet of paper and write any items on it, and cross when used.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
Grey, I agree. I have had the cards in a hiatus for a bit but I actually do have a bit more than the ones I have listed here.  Can promise to provide a list of 20 each by Easter. Can they still include items? Those could be separate tokens on just paper one holds, or simply have everyone have a sheet of paper and write any items on it, and cross when used.

That's great, Jitter! Easter seems good. :) I'd stand with 20 cards each to allow the use of the dice, as I explained. later, in the full version, we can include more cards.

I'd go with pen/pencil and paper and notations, so it's easier to produce. When somebody wins an item it should be announced so everybody can take note.

Do you have a draft of the rules, don't you? Maybe somebody could help on that...

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »
Give me a week and a half to finish off the semester - just a bit more marking, exams, then submit grades - and I'll have time to help out in whatever way I can. I will need something totally different to wind down my brain after the last few weeks!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »
Give me a week and a half to finish off the semester - just a bit more marking, exams, then submit grades - and I'll have time to help out in whatever way I can. I will need something totally different to wind down my brain after the last few weeks!

Excellent! it will be great to have you (fully) on board.
We are not exactly running... I'm sure there will be lots of things to do, hopefully of the kind that will help you to relax. At least nobody spoke about introducing insects in the game... so far. ;)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2020, 07:47:13 PM »
At least nobody spoke about introducing insects in the game... so far. ;)

Well if you do, I can certainly advise on appropriate taxa! Hum, maybe I should take the downtime as an opportunity to work on my rusty biological illustrating skills, not for this but for my own entertainment.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
Here we go!

I finished the new version of the mini board. It's v1-2. This new version has a few improvements:
- The staves are bigger so we can see their details better.
- The staves have 2 colours for each country, a "rusted iron" for bigger locations and an "oxidized cooper" for smaller ones.
- the "rusted iron" staves have additional arrows to make the difference more evident for those that are colour-blind.
- Inside the staves we have shaded "logos" for the fortification, houses and hotel. This is to allow us to visually mark, when playing, what has been built.

I also managed to define the tokens for the good and bad guys. They are very small, but so is the board, and I thought that we should prevent it being cluttered.
- On one side, the players and the dream duck
- On the other side, the spiderdog/cthulhound, 4 murder ghosts and our friend sleipnope in his 4 degrees of evolution.
- On the same sheet I included a template for a 20-sided dice. (I still haven't tried to make it, so good luck :) )
Please be careful when cutting the tokens and the dice. The tokens have dashed lines on each side that indicate the cuts. I would use a cutter and a ruler, because it's more precise, but it's also more dangerous for those that are not used to it.

And, last but not least, the table with all the locations and associated values, based on the Monopoly originals. Of course the values are just initial estimates that must be tested. I tried to keep values low to reduce pressure over players that will have to deal with other kind of problems beyond money...
Note: Cost to build means the value a player pays for each thing it builds. If we follow Monopoly each player would have to build, in sequence: Fortification, Houses 1 to 4 and Hotel.

And that's it! So much work and so little to show. I hope you like it. The smaller 700px wide versions are below. The bigger ones (A4 sized) are in our dropbox and here:
Board: https://postimg.cc/R3sL95km
Tokens: https://postimg.cc/5HNSZNkp
Locations: https://postimg.cc/TKcc7WQp

See you soon! :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:00:20 PM by thegreyarea »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »
Wow! That is not a little, it%u2019s so much! Thank you grey! (Why do you want to have glue applied to you??)

They all look so cool, I love it!

The table of rents should have the transports too, no?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »
Wow! That is not a little, it%u2019s so much! Thank you grey! (Why do you want to have glue applied to you??)

They all look so cool, I love it!

The table of rents should have the transports too, no?

Thanks!

The transports would fit better in a separate table, simply because this one is already quite full, don't you agree?
Also, if we keep it simple (just an acquisition price and a rent price) it could go directly on the board, avoiding another table. I still couldn't think much on those, anyway. If you (or anybody else) have ideas for that I'd love to hear them.

The glue... I was about to write "in the grey area" and just couldn't resist ;D

Temteno

« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
The SSSS monopoly looks so wonderful - I can't wait to test it out!
Are there somewhere written the rules for it? It would be nice that those who aren't used to Monopoly could also play this without knowing the original Monopoly itself (or then I'm just a little doozy and can't find the rules if they are written somewhere :D).
Unfortunately I can't play it with my friends who also like SSSS due to quarantine, but I can't wait to test it out at the summer! Maybe it would be good idea to learn the rules and become the master of SSSS monopoly ;)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:10 AM »
Hello Temteno!

We don't have all the rules gathered yet, but we plan to do so. First the rules that are different from normal Monopoly, but I suppose the basic rules about buying and selling properties, building and rent can be written down on it. Would you like to share any insight as to the rent levels and other payments? Does it look balanced to you? There are more properties to pass (I think! I didn't actually count) during each round.

It would also be awesome to be able to play online but we haven't really looked into that yet. Best to concentrate on MVP game first rather than spread out too thin :)

Temteno

« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2020, 10:18:43 AM »
Hello Temteno!

We don't have all the rules gathered yet, but we plan to do so. First the rules that are different from normal Monopoly, but I suppose the basic rules about buying and selling properties, building and rent can be written down on it. Would you like to share any insight as to the rent levels and other payments? Does it look balanced to you? There are more properties to pass (I think! I didn't actually count) during each round.

It would also be awesome to be able to play online but we haven't really looked into that yet. Best to concentrate on MVP game first rather than spread out too thin :)

What I quickly glance out, it looks pretty balanced (I have to mention though that I'm branched to mathematics and not to economics, but I would say that it looks good for now what I compare it to Monopoly money)! You all have done really good work with this <3

As people always say KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), it's good if there isn't too much either. However, I will say that there's enough flavor for this to fit perfectly into the SSSS world and be distinct from the basic Monopoly.

Maybe have on the board arrows to show which way you should go? What I understood, the game starts from the Nordic Council and then goes from there left to right. However, does it continue from Akureyri to Lulea or from Akureyri to Quarantine? Does it jump also from Prophetic vision (or if the board goes differently, from Haven 4) back to the Nordic Council? The readability is a little problem to me, but I will say that it's mostly because of my brain :D

(Exactly, better to focus on one thing at a time.)

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2020, 11:57:36 AM »
What I quickly glance out, it looks pretty balanced (I have to mention though that I'm branched to mathematics and not to economics, but I would say that it looks good for now what I compare it to Monopoly money)! You all have done really good work with this <3

As people always say KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), it's good if there isn't too much either. However, I will say that there's enough flavor for this to fit perfectly into the SSSS world and be distinct from the basic Monopoly.

Maybe have on the board arrows to show which way you should go? What I understood, the game starts from the Nordic Council and then goes from there left to right. However, does it continue from Akureyri to Lulea or from Akureyri to Quarantine? Does it jump also from Prophetic vision (or if the board goes differently, from Haven 4) back to the Nordic Council? The readability is a little problem to me, but I will say that it's mostly because of my brain :D

(Exactly, better to focus on one thing at a time.)

Hi Temteno! Nice to have you back with us! And thanks!
I'm sure we will have to make adjustments after a few tests, but that's what tests are for. ;)

The idea is to go as you read, so on the end of the first line...
you jump to the next one...
And so on. :)
But I will add arrows on the beginning of each line. In this it's better to be over than under.

Thanks again! It's good to have you as part of the team.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
Thanks Temteno! I mean for you to check the rates as a Monopoly enthusiast, not as a scientist of a relevant field. Which you did so yay!

Our printer is still broken, which has me a bit worried over the future test runs!