Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76628 times)

Koeshi

• Scout
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
During the two days of me being sick i watched the enterity of Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood so thats about 33 or so hours out of 48.

I can relate to that, watched all of FMA and FMA: Brotherhood over the course of 3 days a couple of years back.  Wasn't sick I just had a very empty life :D.

As for "serious, no nonsense" anime, I do not recommend Samourai Champloo, it has its way goofy moments (still very good watch so do watch it anyway)
If you do not mind gory stuff (not too much but still there) I do like Ergo Proxy and a favorite "no-one-seems-to-know-about-it" is Boogiepop Phantom. Very special stuff in the last one, it's different. There is also Chrono Crusade, but its a little weird, don't remember if there's much comedy in it....

Going to have to agree with UFO about Samurai Champloo here.  It is a good show and has some very serious moments, but overall it is light hearted and has much silliness.  As for Ergo Proxy, I personally think it is overrated.  I never managed to actually finish the show as I just didn't find it enjoyable, the characters and story were rather bland.

Watching Angel Beats! right now. And I suppose I have some series to finish after that.

Good luck with that, only show to ever make me cry.

Also I believe some people were recommending Black Lagoon, which I would also strongly suggest watching.  One of my favourite shows, and a pretty dark one too.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:43:31 AM by Koeshi »

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:39 AM »
And Strong world is actually part of canon! Sadly Film Z has inconsistency with the manga (that I have heard), but I cannot wait to watch it just to see time skip character designs~
Also Dressrosa is soooo long! I applaud you Eich for waiting it out. Can't wait to get to it in the anime (looking at the pre-timeskip movies right now since we are at impel down), still waiting for stuff to happen in the manga....
I'm not sure about the canonicity of Strong World considering that it doesn't add anything to the main storyline. I can't recall there being any major inconsistencies between film Z and the manga? At least the post-timeskip appearance of a lot of characters (Garp, Sengoku, the Admirals and others) is considered canon, or so I've heard.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:51:04 AM by Fimbulvarg »

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
Well with dude guy that got out of impel down and stuff ? He's not a no-one villain, he's actually from canon and I suppose that means he might come back later (we never know with ODA)

As for Z, I cannot seem to find it, but I think it's with whatever happened in punk hazard/pre-dressrosa. I suspect it is time line or a character that is not supposed to be there.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
Well with dude guy that got out of impel down and stuff ? He's not a no-one villain, he's actually from canon and I suppose that means he might come back later (we never know with ODA)

As for Z, I cannot seem to find it, but I think it's with whatever happened in punk hazard/pre-dressrosa. I suspect it is time line or a character that is not supposed to be there.
Shiki? He's in the manga (Chapter 500-something) along with his henchmen so the character himself is definitely canon.

I looked it up on the OP wiki and all I can find about film Z vs the manga is either marginal or very unspecific. I'll have to think on it and/or watch the movie again.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »

Good luck with that, only show to ever make me cry.

I never cried at a show before. And now I did. I guess I'll be saying that same thing now :D
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
It truly is the most heart-wrenching show you have ever seen isn't it.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2015, 04:54:37 AM »
I decided to watch all the 11 episodes of Eva that I had not watched yet yesterday in one go!

"Whut." was my first comment, and probably the most significant.

I think I need some cheery anime now, something that will let me relax and not think about anything!
...Next one on the list is Death Note. Darn it.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »

I think I need some cheery anime now, something that will let me relax and not think about anything!
...Next one on the list is Death Note. Darn it.

Death Note is not is that cheery :P
try K-On!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:53:55 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »
Hi, newbie on the forum. Nice there is an anime thread, seriously, how awesome can this community get? ;D I read more manga then i watch anime, though I follow some ogoing series. (Durarara season 2, Death Parade. Reading, Tokyo Ghoul, Fairy Tail, One Piece and Nanatsu no Taizai). Loved Durarara season 1 and Baccano. Anybody here who knows some older anime that have the same feel of 'surreal story' or interesting (and a little twisted) characters? For me a good story with some surprises is crucial if I ever want to finish something. I feel like I especially lack knowledge of good older series, as I started watching ungoing/popular onces when I started in Highschool. - Also, nice to meet everybody. ^-^

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
try K-On!
Yakka yakka yan yan - yakka yan - yakka yan

For me a good story with some surprises is crucial if I ever want to finish something.
Well, a couple of us are having a crush on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at this time. There's plenty of surprises there, though I won' spoil them. If you like One Piece and Fairy Tail you'll probably enjoy it a lot (the VA of Natsu from FT has the lead role actually).

wolfie

• Ranger
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Yakka yakka yan yan - yakka yan - yakka yan
Well, a couple of us are having a crush on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at this time. There's plenty of surprises there, though I won' spoil them. If you like One Piece and Fairy Tail you'll probably enjoy it a lot (the VA of Natsu from FT has the lead role actually).

C-can I confess that I know exactly what you mean and after 'that' happened I cried and turned off my computer, traumatized and never watched passed that episode...I should watch it till the end, I know, but the feels. T-T

"Dammit Moon-Moon"

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
C-can I confess that I know exactly what you mean and after 'that' happened I cried and turned off my computer, traumatized and never watched passed that episode...I should watch it till the end, I know, but the feels. T-T
That's quite alright friendo, it happens to the best of us. Look, Solovei over there was scarred for life while Nimphy promised me harm for introducing her to the series because of it. We'll help you through it!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:34:12 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
Watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka, its not old, but the story is brilliant.  Also try reading Akira (assuming you haven't done so already), wouldn't particularly recommend the film though.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
Watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka, its not old, but the story is brilliant.  Also try reading Akira (assuming you haven't done so already), wouldn't particularly recommend the film though.
Oh gosh... I watched the film  D:
No no no no no no no no.
Never again. 
Feel free to PM.

wolfie

• Ranger
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »

That's quite alright friendo, it happens to the best of us. Look, Solovei over there was scarred for life while Nimphy promised me harm for introducing her to the series because of it. We'll help you through it!

I heard of Madoka, I'll put it on the watchlist. Akira I know and it properly scarred me as well.

Haha I found the serie on my own, got no one to take revenge on. I liked the artstyle and the quirky characters. Never thought it would go down that road. I watched the serie a year ago and still remember the feelings.
Thankyou. U-U

Also, if you guys like Gurren, you guys know Kill La Kill? (you probably do) Similar artstyle, and a little less scarring. Very weird series and sadly a lot of fanservice you have to ignore, but the story is interesting, in my opinion.

"Dammit Moon-Moon"