Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76836 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
One Piece is indeed the best! But avoid dubs. Like hell. My sister forced me to watch an episode with her and oh gosh. Renni Renni Chopper. Asop. Monkey D. Rubber. Sanji's attacks go along the lines of "left kick" "right kick". Uuughhhh.
And I was looking for some fanfics. The pairings I saw have scarred me for life. Honestly I think all pairings are stupid, but... But... There's someone out there who ships Doflamingo with Crocodile.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Sigrid, I'd definitely recommend watching some anime movies rather than series, too - usually (not always) they tend to have better story/animation/music, just because they're so compact and have more time. Any Studio Ghibli ones are recommended, but so are Wolf Children and Summer Wars.

As to shounen-type series that have original designs - Fairy Tail is a good one for that, also. I also wholeheartedly recommend Cowboy Bebop's series and movie. So so gooooood.

(I'd write more, but I'd overwhelm you. And most of what I'd recommend is in the thread already, and for good reasons, too ;) )
Actually, I watched Totoro just the other day (and I loved it). Studio Ghibli is definitely on my list of things to watch, yes. So is Cowboy Bebop. I have no idea what it's about, but I've heard it's good, so...

One Piece is indeed the best! But avoid dubs. Like hell. My sister forced me to watch an episode with her and oh gosh. Renni Renni Chopper. Asop. Monkey D. Rubber. Sanji's attacks go along the lines of "left kick" "right kick". Uuughhhh.
And I was looking for some fanfics. The pairings I saw have scarred me for life. Honestly I think all pairings are stupid, but... But... There's someone out there who ships Doflamingo with Crocodile.

Ew, dubs are the worst. I never watch dubbed anything, ever. Except for the Norwegian dub of Three Wishes for Cinderella that they show on tv every year, because it's just so magnificently horrible that you just have to love it.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
There's someone out there who ships Doflamingo with Crocodile.

WHAT!? :D XD X) :D

I write OP fanfiction, in case you want something weird and non-shippy.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
You need to post your stuff on ao3. Really! I think I never read your fics... yet I have read almost everything I could that was not shippy.... yay new things to read!!

And I find it very funny that you're talking of Flamingo/croc, 'cus my sister is wondering how the heck that happened ? I just imagine a pink flamingo annoying the heck out of a croc. That's how I ship them. And they are both old dudes with style, but also insane and not the shipping type.

OP ships are so funny.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
You need to post your stuff on ao3. Really! I think I never read your fics... yet I have read almost everything I could that was not shippy.... yay new things to read!!

And I find it very funny that you're talking of Flamingo/croc, 'cus my sister is wondering how the heck that happened ? I just imagine a pink flamingo annoying the heck out of a croc. That's how I ship them. And they are both old dudes with style, but also insane and not the shipping type.

OP ships are so funny.

I will, I will. For now, they are totally available to read on ff.net though.

And yes, ironically (or not) in a series with so many actual ships (of the seafaring kind) most shipping is weird and insane. I've seen some crackfics.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2015, 04:26:14 AM »
But avoid dubs. Like hell.

If you hate dubs, watch the Ghost Stories dub.

It's hilarious and because of that, it apparently is better than the original. The original was apparently just an average horror anime series.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:00 AM »
avoid dubs. Like hell.
Maybe the One piece dubs are bad but some series have good English dub versions, maybe even better than the original. Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop have great dub versions. African American characters in particular sound so much better for some reason.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Both of the Fullmetal Alchemist dubs were good as well.  Really good, actually.
Also, any of the shows that are made for an English cast usually have good voice acting (though it's not technically a dub at that point), like Afro Samurai or Space Dandy.  Haven't actually watched either of those, but I like what I heard when I previewed them.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2015, 09:07:23 AM »
On the subject of Japanese vs English, it should be mentioned that the Japanese VAs generally fail to do English convincingly just like the English VAs generally fail at Japanese (Sauce-kay).

Stein's Gate illustrates the options well: It's either chinglish or lingua japonica.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
Yeah, English just sounds funny when you use the more phonetically strict Japanese pronunciations.  I remember being weirded out when I saw that Saske's name was actually spelled Sasuke.  That said, Steins gate was fun to watch, with all the English things they mention.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
Japanese voice actors trying to say stuff in English mostly make me either laugh or wince. Or both. Never listened to English ones saying stuff in Japanese though.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
Ohhh, you guys haven't seen nothing yet.

There was an anime called Last Exile, really great  (if a little slow plot-wise) steampunk series. Then it got a sort-of sequel called Fam: The Silver Wing. At some point there's a group of characters who speak Russian.

Japanese VA's speaking Russian.

It's... not... I won't say it's BAD, I mean it's no worse than when Hollywood actors try to speak Russian (I'm sorry, Scarlett Johansson, but you're not fooling anyone) but if I did not have subtitles I wouldn't have even been able to tell what language it was.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »
Never listened to English ones saying stuff in Japanese though.
There's always names (Naroo-toe) and combat moves and such. There's a scene in the Black lagoon dub where the Japanese main character is supposed to be a translator for a business meeting with some Japanese people. Needless to say he does not sound convinving at all in the English version (Black Lagoon is full of bad language-fails).

There was an anime called Last Exile, really great  (if a little slow plot-wise) steampunk series.
Is this the one with the two-pilot planes and flying ships with gunmen shooting at one another?

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
Is this the one with the two-pilot planes and flying ships with gunmen shooting at one another?

Er... yes. But that's like, the first episode. After that there's a lot of like, politics and mystical prophecy stuff.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2015, 05:49:30 PM »
Since we are on about dubs. French. FRENCH. Ze francais.
It is hilarious. How can a language so phonetically close to Japanese butch words so much ?

Best examples are Sasuke and Sakura from Naruto.
/>It's a lot worse when they scream the names. I just cant.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~