Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76635 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
So far I've seen the entirety of the Attack on Titan series and Dangan Ronpa (Trigger Happy Havoc) series. Any other suggestions for an anime newbie?

There's an anime called So Ra No Wo To (Sound of the Sky) that's got a very similar vibe to SSSS - post-apocalyptic, vaguely-military setting focused on the characters and their friendships. It's only 12 or so episodes long and has really cute art.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:23:49 PM by Solovei »
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Flicker

• Super-Newbie
  • cool kid on the block
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
I'd prefer it if people watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood actually. The other one is just a silly anime adaption really.

There's an anime called So Ra No Wo To (Sound of the Sky) that's got a very similar vibe to SSSS - post-apocalyptic, vaguely-military setting focused on the characters and their friendships. It's only 12 or so episodes long and has really cute art.

Thank you everyone~! I'll give them all a look.

Lallipop

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
I used to be a huge weeaboo in my younger teenage days, and then grew to hate anime. And now, I'm completely neutral.

However, as you can see by my avatar, there is one anime I'm more or less modifying my life to accommodate my addiction to. ;D (Just kidding. Maybe.)

Actually, it's not really the anime--it's the manga. Attack on Titan! :D When it comes to my interests, I usually only have a few at a time, and when I'm interested in them, I go all out. This isn't an exception lol.

It's a little bit similar to SSSS. The whole apocalypse setting and fighting against giant things. Perhaps the walls are similar, too. Attack on Titan is heavily based on Norse Mythology as well, so there's that. Although people who have only seen the anime probably wouldn't know that. Don't worry, that's not a spoiler!

There's also a cute, softly muscular bowl cut blondie who's possibly part Swedish! ;D ...Well, maybe not cute anymore. More like, I'm too concerned for his wellbeing to even think about his face.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »
So, though this is an anime thread, I'm totally going to post manga recommendations in here. Especially as I've just discovered the cutest shoujo romance... I mean, it's mature cute, not sickly sweet cute. Really fun... Horimiya, if anyone's interested.

And to balance out the ages, Cheese in the Trap is a really good josei romance. Naver webtoon. Currently on their LINE website in English. Also translated by OddSquad, directly on the original Naver site. Also mature cute, mystery, very deep characters. Probably one of the best romance stories I've ever read, up there with Pride and Prejudice.

Attack on Titan... I'm about six months or more behind on that, but I also found it very very good. The anime sort of stops short just where it got all interesting, hehe, so I'd say the manga is a must-read for anyone who likes the story. The art is somewhat iffy in the beginning, but it improves greatly, and even in the beginning, the artist captures movement and action very very well.

That cute, softly muscular bowl cut blondie who is possibly part Swedish is also my favourite character. I'm seeing I really need to catch up with those six months, very soon... if something's happened to him, I need to know ;;_;;
Am notified of private messages via email.

Lallipop

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
Attack on Titan... I'm about six months or more behind on that, but I also found it very very good. The anime sort of stops short just where it got all interesting, hehe, so I'd say the manga is a must-read for anyone who likes the story. The art is somewhat iffy in the beginning, but it improves greatly, and even in the beginning, the artist captures movement and action very very well.

That cute, softly muscular bowl cut blondie who is possibly part Swedish is also my favourite character. I'm seeing I really need to catch up with those six months, very soon... if something's happened to him, I need to know ;;_;;

Well, several things happened to him, but to avoid spoilers I can't say what.  :-X I can say he's not dead as of the latest chapter--chapter 63. Mikasa's been very protective over him lately (and vice versa) and pretty much has him tied to her. xD So if that's any consolation...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:09:19 PM by Lallipop »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »

Well, several things happened to him, but to avoid spoilers I can't say what.  :-X I can say he's not dead as of the latest chapter--chapter 63. Mikasa's been very protective over him lately (and vice versa) and pretty much has him tied to her. xD So if that's any consolation...

Not dead... not dead is good, and Mikasa is also good. I ... hope he still has all his limbs, and all his sanity. Aaaargh. School ends in one week, I'll make it a priority to catch up then  :-\

Lallipop

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
Not dead... not dead is good, and Mikasa is also good. I ... hope he still has all his limbs, and all his sanity. Aaaargh. School ends in one week, I'll make it a priority to catch up then  :-\

Uhh, well...UM...You might wanna catch up for that. That's going into spoiler territory lol.  :-X

But yay, school ending in a week! :D

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

Uhh, well...UM...You might wanna catch up for that. That's going into spoiler territory lol.  :-X

But yay, school ending in a week! :D

... you are making me seriously worried here. I may have to not wait for end-of-school, after all.

Yes, I am looking forward to it very much  :D

Lallipop

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »
... you are making me seriously worried here. I may have to not wait for end-of-school, after all.

Yes, I am looking forward to it very much  :D

MWUAHAHAHA

I suggest reading it when you have at least 3 hours of free time so you can sit back and wonder what the fridge you just read.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
I'm a HUGE Hetalia fan (believe it or not) I loovvee the show!
I also have watched many, many Studio Ghibli movies!! I will always love them, and recommend them to everybody no matter what age  ;D
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2014, 05:31:04 AM »
I'm a HUGE Hetalia fan (believe it or not) I loovvee the show!
I also have watched many, many Studio Ghibli movies!! I will always love them, and recommend them to everybody no matter what age  ;D

Oooh, hello, fellow Hetalia fan! It feels slightly like a teenage girl obsession to me now (that's due to being forever scarred by deviantART things ;;_;; - never go that way, never), but my best friend (who happens to be not a teenager, and not a girl) is also obsessed with it, so it can't be that. I'd like more anime, The Beautiful World was, just like it says, very beautiful... but if I ever get cravings, I've let the manga/blog updates build up for the past few months, so I can go dig through those. Japan is still my phone cover, and has been for more than two years now, heheheh.

As for Ghibli films, I'm a major fan, too! Seen every single one apart from the two new ones, The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya - even the ones that most people miss, like Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, Only Yesterday, Castle of Cagliostro. There's another in development, too, right? Based on an old children's book, I think... Oh yeah! Hayao Miyazaki got an honorary Academy Award this month. Quite happy about that~

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
Oooh, hello, fellow Hetalia fan! It feels slightly like a teenage girl obsession to me now (that's due to being forever scarred by deviantART things ;;_;; - never go that way, never), but my best friend (who happens to be not a teenager, and not a girl) is also obsessed with it, so it can't be that. I'd like more anime, The Beautiful World was, just like it says, very beautiful... but if I ever get cravings, I've let the manga/blog updates build up for the past few months, so I can go dig through those. Japan is still my phone cover, and has been for more than two years now, heheheh.

As for Ghibli films, I'm a major fan, too! Seen every single one apart from the two new ones, The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya - even the ones that most people miss, like Ocean Waves, Pom Poko, Only Yesterday, Castle of Cagliostro. There's another in development, too, right? Based on an old children's book, I think... Oh yeah! Hayao Miyazaki got an honorary Academy Award this month. Quite happy about that~
*likes post*
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Lallipop

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
*likes post*

*likes both of you* :P That makes 3 of us!

Hetalia was my former major fandom, yo. I go way back with dat sshhh...iny, sparkly goodness.

I know all the memes. I know all the characters. I've read over 500,000,000,000,000 fanfics of Sufin.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
Combining two things I like, anime and history, into something hilarious (original artist: Owlturd.tumblr, probably not related to our own OrigamiOwl)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
Two anime I've seen lately that I've absolutely LOVED TO BITS: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (slight romance, mostly slice of life and comedy) and Barakamon (slice of life, comedy, tinge of drama). Especially Barakamon. But also GSN-kun. They're both really really really good. If you want something fun to watch, that's not too long (12 episodes each), try one of those two.