Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76634 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #435 on: April 14, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
My gf is a massive Studio Ghibli fan, and she's started to introduce me to its wonder. Just saw Kiki's Flying Delivery Service, it's a great story.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #436 on: April 14, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
My gf is a massive Studio Ghibli fan, and she's started to introduce me to its wonder. Just saw Kiki's Flying Delivery Service, it's a great story.

Oh yea, their stuff is great. Years ago I bought a box set form Hong Kong. I'm not sure, well actually pretty not sure, that it was a "fully authorized" set. It was very nicely done though. Didn't have that bootleg look of just a collection of plain disks. The menu's were in Chinese and it took me a lot of trying to find the right combination that would get me to the English dub or better yet the subtitles.
Speaking of which the differences between dubbed and subtitled can be quite interesting. Spirited Away comes across as quite snarky in the the Disney English dub. The subtitles are much more even and courteous, very Japanese. Laputa - Castle in the Sky seems to have more dialog in the subtitled version than the dubbed version. I should mention there was both the Disney dubbed version, why I really questioned the authorized-ness of the set and a another entire version with just subtitles.
But yea their stuff is just great.

:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #437 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:09 AM »
ohh and then there are the official nordic/scandinavian DVDs... my copy of Princess Mononoke had finnish and swedish subtitles (to japanese audio), and danish and norwegian dubbing. no other options. problem: the norwegian dub was half a second out of timing, sooo whenever i want to see my favourite movie it's with swedish subtitles.
you'll know where to find me.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #438 on: April 14, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
ohh and then there are the official nordic/scandinavian DVDs... my copy of Princess Mononoke had finnish and swedish subtitles (to japanese audio), and danish and norwegian dubbing. no other options. problem: the norwegian dub was half a second out of timing, sooo whenever i want to see my favourite movie it's with swedish subtitles.

ouch! I'd be dead in the water. Sounds like you have your own little cat-tank communication problem. Where's Turri when you need her ;)
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #439 on: April 20, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »
I finished watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi/Erased.

I think it was satisfying, high quality anime like what I long for, with a lot of attempt to be realistic both psychologically and technically (though there were still some faillings here and there), and avoid unnecessary breaking of tone by keeping touches of humor and action fairly low-keyed.

But I wasn't like mind-blown and completely swayed. It was good, but some aspects and twists were fairly predictable, and a few details kinda break suspension of disbelief.

Still, this is the first anime series I watch in years, and I don't regret it overall. If anyone has recommendations of really high quality anime series like that, I'm open, though as evident from this post, keep in mind that I'm really picky.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:23:58 PM by Rollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #440 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »
I watch Haikyuu!! and Bleach. Well, originally I was reading the manga of Bleach, but then the friend I was borrowing it from had to leave, so I started watching it on Netflix. Unfortunately, not all the episodes are there. Does anyone know where specifically to find them, or should I just look them up?
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
I watch Haikyuu!! and Bleach. Well, originally I was reading the manga of Bleach, but then the friend I was borrowing it from had to leave, so I started watching it on Netflix. Unfortunately, not all the episodes are there. Does anyone know where specifically to find them, or should I just look them up?

This site is where I watch most of my anime, they seem to have the latest episodes of everything! They have Bleach up to season 16.

Edit: Also, I found a new anime which is hilarious and is a good break from all the action-adventure anime I watch. It's about a boy named Tanaka who doesn't do anything in school and sleeps all day and doesn't care about anything. It's really funny. You can watch it here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:29:23 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #442 on: April 21, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
I usually watch at animeshow: http://animeshow.tv/Bleach/ or kissanime: https://kissanime.to/Search/Anime/bleach

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Athena

« Reply #443 on: April 29, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
So, Ana recommended I watch Noragami. I watched the first episode, and loved it. Seriously how have I not found this show until now?! It's awesome! Thanks, Ana! ;D

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #444 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »
So, Ana recommended I watch Noragami. I watched the first episode, and loved it. Seriously how have I not found this show until now?! It's awesome! Thanks, Ana! ;D

No problem! And seriously, it's an amazing show. Just as a note in case you're watching on Netflix: there are two seasons (and possibly a third will be made), but Netflix only has the first one. I only mention it because I met someone who loved the show, but had no idea there was a second season out there!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

« Reply #445 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
No problem! And seriously, it's an amazing show. Just as a note in case you're watching on Netflix: there are two seasons (and possibly a third will be made), but Netflix only has the first one. I only mention it because I met someone who loved the show, but had no idea there was a second season out there!

Thanks for the pointer! I don't watch much anime on netflix anymore, mostly because of that.

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #446 on: April 30, 2016, 01:33:08 AM »
HEY HEY if you like noragami, might i recommend adachitoka's (the duo who create the manga!) previous work, ALIVE: the final evolution! its a manga, not an anime, but its really excellent, about a world where people gain "superpowers" from aliens that came to earth to die; theres huge art improvement from beginning to end, and i cry because in the manga, yato from noragami can look SO ALIKE to taisuke from alive ____(:'''3/L)___ and while im at it, id also totally recommend giving the noragami manga a read: the anime is good, but it is different from the original! also you can get in on some beautiful art >:3c
AND WHILE IM HERE ill rec some currently airing anime!!! because this season is shaping up to be pretty neat
BOKU NO HERO ACADEMIA/MY HERO ACADEMIA
-EXCELLENT EXCELLENT SHOW FROM AN EXCELLENT EXCELLENT MANGA!! i was SUPER STOKED to hear bnha getting an anime because it is a wonderful story with wonderful characters!! its set in a world where nearly everyone is born with a "quirk", or a "superpower", whether it be invisibility or the ability to manipulate gravity or even growing to the size of a building! everyone except mIDORIYA IZUKU MY PRECIOUS SON who happens to be the main character he is so pure and soft i will protect him;; DESPITE NOT HAVING A QUIRK midoriya wants to get into the prestigious hero academia YUUEI to become a hero, just like his idol ALL MIGHT, and the story follows him in his efforts to BECOME A HERO; its really really good with fabulous characters, and id also recommend the manga on this one because its shaping up to destroy my life pls all i wanted was a fun cute hero story i didnt ask for this heartbreak--
KIZNAIVER
-DAM TRIGGER BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE BEAUTIFUL ANIMATION--
no for real this show is gorgeous okay the character designs are all so interesting and complex and its amazing to see them all moving so SMOOTH AND FLUIDLY god i would recommend this even if only for the art because its THAT GOOD OKAY;; kiznaiver is a sci-fi-ish show about a group of seven people who, through a series of circumstances, become part of an experiment where theyre all connected to share each others pain through their BONDS; its pretty intriguing and i really do want to see where its going to go, and the opening is absolutely slamming and, like i said, the animation is spectacular and definitely worth checking out!
FLYING WITCH
-this show seems super!! super!! cute so far!! its set up as a kind of osomatsu-san-esque episode style, where there are two or three story segments per episode, and its a very comfy and soft show!! the premise is a modern day witch who goes to live in the country with her extended family, but the focus isnt exactly on her BEING a witch, which i think is neat! its more focused on how her friends and family deal with the peculiarities of witches, and all the stuff that goes with it; its really really cute, and i love makoto she is adorable!!
SPACE PATROL LULUCO/UCHUU PATROL LULUCO
-okay. listen. i love this show so much. it is ridiculous and adorable and fun and maybe my favorite because of the sheer absurdity of it. its only about 7 or 8 minutes per episode, and is generally a constant shxtpost; the "plot" follows luluco, a normal girl who lives a normal life on a planet full of aliens, until she ends up joining the SPACE PATROL to hunt down criminals, complete with a cute space uniform and the ability to TURN INTO A GUN! it is ridiculous in every way possible and somehow still whips around to be cute, and i LOVE it; the opening and ending songs are also bumping, and its a totally fun show to watch if you have 10 minutes to spare!

honest to god this is her transformation and it only gets better from here

**EDIT** HECK I FORGOT TO SCREAM ABOUT THE CASE STUDY OF VANITAS!!!!!! if youre familiar with "pandora hearts" by jun mochizuki, and if you, like me, were heartbroken and absolutely destroyed by the ending of pandora hearts, FEAR NOT!!!! SHES STARTED THIS NEW MANGA!!! AND IM PREPARED!!! FOR MORE HEARTBREAK!! KILL ME!! GOD its shaping up to be really really good even with only a couple chapters out, and let me just say the art quality is breathtaking; there are so many small details, huge spreads, it takes me a stupid long amount of time to read one chapter because there sheer amount of small details is mind boggling, from the stitching on a coat, to the details in someones earrings, to beautiful environments; i love love love jun mochizukis style, she has a really pleasing way of drawing that i will never get tired of looking at and its a huge inspiration to me, this is another one i would check out for the art if the story doesnt interest you - WHICH I WOULD BE SURPRISED AT because if you know mochizuki, you can bet itll be full of plot twists and suffering. at the moment the plot is this: NOE, the main character who i love very dearly, is sent to paris and finds the human VANITAS, who is using "the book of vanitas" (written by a vampire and highly sought after, and which noe was specifically sent to find) to save cursed vampires from a path of destruction; the two end up teaming up to solve a mystery, and im ready for the many mysteries sure to come afterwards, please mochizuki destroy me im just ready to suffer let me die
SO YEAH please check out the case study of vanitas, and if youre unfamiliar with pandora hearts, i would 100% recommend that manga as well!! AND IF YOUVE READ IT/ARE READING CSOV PLEASE GOD MESSAGE ME SO WE CAN SCREAM TOGETHER **END EDIT**
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:59:49 AM by callipygous »

Dorsalus

• Tumblr
« Reply #447 on: May 03, 2016, 05:27:48 AM »
This site is where I watch most of my anime, they seem to have the latest episodes of everything! They have Bleach up to season 16.

Edit: Also, I found a new anime which is hilarious and is a good break from all the action-adventure anime I watch. It's about a boy named Tanaka who doesn't do anything in school and sleeps all day and doesn't care about anything. It's really funny. You can watch it here.

If you like Tanaka-kun you should watch Tonari no Seki-kun, it's a similar slice-of-life style setting and the low key absurdity of the things that happen is very nice. Or Nichijou, Nichijou is amazing.
Native :australia:
Learning :norway: :finland:
Want to learn  :poland: :russia:

:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #448 on: May 16, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
One of my housemate had received Attack on Titan for his birthday. Optimism, where are you ? (Five episodes and I don't know how the characters will do with such a situation...)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

« Reply #449 on: May 16, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
One of my housemate had received Attack on Titan for his birthday. Optimism, where are you ? (Five episodes and I don't know how the characters will do with such a situation...)

There is on optimism for AOT. Only pain.