Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136917 times)

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
Re: Improvements
« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
Is it possible to have longer chains in PMs? so you can see the whole response thread, instead of just the previous post?
I am running a forum game involving lots of PMs and I am having trouble keeping track of things at times.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »
Is it possible to have longer chains in PMs? so you can see the whole response thread, instead of just the previous post?
I am running a forum game involving lots of PMs and I am having trouble keeping track of things at times.

I have similar PM issues, and I find that changing my settings to "View as a Conversation" works.

Go to your PMs --> Settings -->Preferences-->Display Personal Messages.  Change the choice on the menu to "As a Conversation" (as opposed to All at Once or One at a Time). 

Hope that helps!  I'm having fun with the Shared Story, so naturally I want to smooth your path!   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2015, 08:03:20 AM »
in the name of the Hungarian Newbies:

Would it be possible to get a Hungarian flag? 
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
Would it be possible to be able to save drafts of pms?
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #379 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:10 AM »
For the heck of it I just went through the members of the forum and a lot of them have never posted. Though I suppose it can be a "if they ever want to come back" or "maybe they are just lurking", but as I have a forum of my own most of the time those members end up being hacked or they just end up using a username someone else might want. Thouhg the forum is public (some privacy would be nice) it would be good to have some kind of rules for inactives that never introduced themselves or posted anything. Sometimes someone will join only to answer to one thread, but at least they posted once. I'm kinda rambling now, its more a suggestion then an improvement, though it really depends what you think of it....
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2015, 08:03:20 AM »
For the heck of it I just went through the members of the forum and a lot of them have never posted. Though I suppose it can be a "if they ever want to come back" or "maybe they are just lurking", but as I have a forum of my own most of the time those members end up being hacked or they just end up using a username someone else might want. Thouhg the forum is public (some privacy would be nice) it would be good to have some kind of rules for inactives that never introduced themselves or posted anything. Sometimes someone will join only to answer to one thread, but at least they posted once. I'm kinda rambling now, its more a suggestion then an improvement, though it really depends what you think of it....

Been thinking along the same lines actually. There are some 167 members who have never posted anything. Many of them have been registered for months.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:26:32 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
At another forum that I used to admin we had to make a rule about non-posters for those very reasons UFOO9000 listed. You have a month to make ten posts in the forum, if you don't rack them up you get a reminder via PM. You'll then get another month hang time during which you can still make those ten posts or however many are missing before the nick gets removed as an abandoned one. That forum is larger than this one which needs to be taken into consideration, but maybe something similar would work here?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
I'm also active in another forum. There, accounts are deleted if they exist for more than three months and still have 0 posts. However, I don't know if there is a technical solution that is doing this or if someone has to sit down once in a while and delete all these accounts manually.

I think it is sensible to delete accounts with 0 posts after some time. For reading only, you don't need to register. And if someone rediscovers the forum and finally does want to post, it is no problem to create an account again - when you didn't have any posts or PMs, you don't lose anything. Is there a way to check if a user with 0 posts has any PMs?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #383 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
One way to tell if an account is a lurker or just inactive is to check the account's stats. Many of them have close to 0 minutes of registered activity.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:38:39 AM by Fimbulvarg »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #384 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
And I guess sorting through it every once in a while manually will not take up that much time. Like, it would not take several hours each day.

But sure that would be additional rules, right?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #385 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm also active in another forum. There, accounts are deleted if they exist for more than three months and still have 0 posts. However, I don't know if there is a technical solution that is doing this or if someone has to sit down once in a while and delete all these accounts manually.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking.  There are a lot of people that post very infrequently and so would not get 10 posts within a month.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2015, 06:33:15 AM »
That is along the lines of what I was thinking.  There are a lot of people that post very infrequently and so would not get 10 posts within a month.

As Eich pointed out here there will be further discussions on that matter. And I guess that will include if and how post counts might be set to prevent accounts of low frequent posters from being banned unfairly.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:08:23 AM by kjeks »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
Announcement thing: I have just finished the newer edition of the forum theme! The notable improvement is that it got somewhat more responsive, and
it has a mobile version!
That's right, no more annoying zooming and horizontal scrolling!

Other smaller tweaks include:
  • Restyled the large text areas, getting rid of the presumably disturbing texture ✔
  • Swapped the important color and the hover color of button lists, making the important button stand out more and the hover color consistent with the navigation menus ✔
  • Fixed a bug that caused images to be squeezed horizontally when viewed on small (eg. mobile) screens ✔
    Note: This has a currently unavoidable side-effect, that images scaled down by specifying height may stick out from the page on screens narrower than them.
    (Images scaled down by specifying width (almost all images on the forum) remain completely fine.)
  • Gave code blocks some style ✔ I completely forgot them before... o.o"
  • Recolored the little badge (old one: ), so it's consistent with the theme's colors. ✔
  • Compressed some of the large images, so the page may load slightly faster ✔
  • Cropped some excess width from the title image, so it appears in the exactly right place ✔
  • Some other, even smaller things that I don't remember. :D

Changes will appear on the dev site and then here soon-ish.
Huge thanks to the wonderful hushpiper for the idea and about half the work on the mobile version! ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:43:46 PM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »

Responsive theme is up on dev.ssssforum.com for your perusal! Let us know if there's any issues; if all looks well we'll have <5min of downtime later today while I update it on this end.

Tap10lan

« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »
Yep, I was looking through the language threads and there are specific requests for the Serbian and Macedonian flags.  (I know most linguists consider Serbo-Croatian a single language, and we do already have a Croatian flag -- but *politically* the countries are certainly very different!)

In the part of Austria my dad comes from, they speak an archaic southern slavic language they call Croatian, and after Yugoslavia fell apart, the Croatians actually came up there to borrow old words, in order to differentiate themselves from the other southern slavs ... Ridiculously idiotic, but there you are. There are idiots everywhere, and if you let them have weapons, you run the risk of them using enough violence to incite others to start processes that cause the kind of horrors that happened down there.
I felt the closest I could come to defining the language of my father was "Croatian", since it has even been used to distance Croatia from Serbo-Croatian ...
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: