Author Topic: Language Introduction thread!  (Read 80172 times)

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
Re: Introduction thread!
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
Hello everyone! I've been meaning to introduce myself here for a while now, but didn't for fear of maybe sounding like an idiot. Today I don't care, so here I am!

:Korean: Annyeonghaseyo! Blackjazz-imnida. Na-neun Hangulgeo-reul baeugo.
(Hello! I'm Blackjazz, I'm learning Korean (I don't have the capability to write the Korean alphabet on my computer yet))

:france: Français est la langue étrangère avec qui je suis le plus comfortable, bien que je fasse encore beaucoup des erreurs. Je l'étudiais pour quatre ans à la université, mais je n'avais jamais eu l'opportunité d'étudier à l'étrangère. :( Je suis née il y a 22 ans en Oregon, aux États Unis, dans une trèèèès petite ville, et je vivais à la campagne pour les premières vigntième années de ma vie. Mon hèritage est mexicain, mais j'ai appris l'espagnole à l'école.

(French is the foreign language that I'm most comfortable with even though I still make a lot of mistakes. I studied it for four years in college, but never had the opportunity to study abroad (well, I almost did, but that's a different story). I was born 22 years ago in Oregon, USA, in a reeeaaaallllyyy small town and lived in the country for the first twenty years of my life. My heritage is Mexican, but I learned Spanish in school.)

:mexico: Mi relación con el español comenzó muchos años en el pasado, en la infancia. Dos de mis hermanas mayores (tengo tres) hablaban el español como su lengua nativa, pero cuando ellas comenzaban ir a la escuela, mi familia decidio que no era necesario que nosotras sabemos el español. -_- Entonces, yo siento que debo saber más español y que debe ser más fácil. Por supuesto, no es verdad. Lo estudio en la escuela secundaria y a la universidad, y lo odio tanto que lo amo. ¡Jajaja!

(My relationship with Spanish started many years ago, in childhood. Two of my older sisters (I have three) spoke Spanish as their native language, but when they started to go to school my family decided that we didn't need to know Spanish. -_- Thus I feel like I should know more Spanish and that it should be easier, but of course it isn't. I studied it in high school and in college, and I love it as much as I hate it. Hahaha!)

:italy: Io parlo solo un po' d'italiano, pero posso leggerlo. Voglio apprendere più perché mi piace molto la suono della lingua.

(I only speak a little Italian, but I can read it. I want to learn more because I really love the sound of the language (and the fact that it's pretty much the love child of French and Spanish))
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2015, 07:10:28 AM »
Fascinating or annoying, it all depends on your point of view... ;)

Here's a point of view about the grammar of the Nordic languages ;). Old but makes me chuckle every time I see it (even a professional Finnish-for-immigrants teacher I know said she is SO happy that Finnish is her mother tongue, because learning the language through studying the grammar would be so painfullly difficult)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:40:59 PM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
It's a bit tough to figure out how to format this post, especially what with having to add a picture so the cyrillic shows up, but let me see what I can do!

:norway: Hei! Jeg heter Q, er tjuetre år og bor i USA med min katt. Jeg begynte å studere norsk for kanskje fire måneder siden, men kan jeg ikke studere hver dag. To av mine venner skrive med meg på email og det hadde vært veldig godt for meg å lære fra! Jeg har kjøpt en bok også, men må huske faktisk å lese den.

:usa: Hi! My name's Q; I'm 23 and I live in the US with my cat. I started studying Norwegian maybe four months ago, but I can't study every day. Two of my friends write to me in emails (in Norwegian) and that's been very good for me to learn from! I also bought a book, but I have to remember to actually read it. As far as my skills: I feel like I start way too many sentences with "jeg" and my sentences also seem a bit too long... possibly.

:usa: Hello! (Does it sound strange to be on Bbl - fake cyrillic, sorry - on a forum like this? I wasn't sure so I erred towards formality.) I already wrote something in Norwegian when I tried to write this. (LOL) I studied Russian for two years... ...three years ago. In the interim, I forgot everything. I'd like to get better at Russian again, but Norwegian is my priority right now.

:mexico: Uhhhh. Lo siento mucho... entiendo más que yo puedo hablar.

:usa: I'm so sorry. I can understand more than I can say! Spanish was seven or eight years ago for me, so my recall is a total disaster.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:39:25 AM by Q »
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

Laufeysdóttir

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
hiya.

since it looks like I might be serious about trying to relearn Finnish I thought I might as well say hello officially.  :)

hallo, ich bin Laufeysdóttir und ich komme aus dem Osten von Deutschland (genauer gesagt aus Sachsen - wer sich für Dialekte interessiert kann mich also gerne fragen!). Ich fand andere Sprachen schon immer spannend, nur habe ich heutzutage viel zu wenig Zeit. (Ich bin ungefähr so alt wie Torbjörn und manchmal wollen mich meine Kinder halt auch mal sehen...)

hello, I'm Laufeysdóttir and I'm from the East of Germany (from Saxony, to be precise, so anyone interested in dialects is very welcome to ask) I have always been fascinated by other languages, only these days I never have enough time. (I might be of a similar age as one of the supporting cast and it sometimes happens that my children want to see me too...)

Nes i dreulio rhan fwya o mywyd fel oedolyn yng Nghymru. Oeddan ni'n byw mewn ardal efo Cymraeg yn brif iaith ac oedd fy ngwaith yn ymwneud â Chymraeg hefyd. Ers symyd yn ôl i'r Almaen dw i'n methu siarad ieithoedd eraill tu allan i'r teulu...

I spent most of my adult life in Wales. We lived in an area where Welsh was the main language and my work also had to do with Welsh. Since moving back to Germany I miss speaking other languages outside the family...

Monta vuotta sitten olin Suomessa. Vuodeksi. Sen jälkeen puhuin suomea aika hyvin. Mutta nyt olen unohtanut kauheen paljon ja haluan oppia sen uudestaan!!!

Many years ago I was in Finland. For a year. After that I spoke Finnish rather well. But I have forgotten an awful lot and I want to learn it again!!!

Bhí mé ins an ollscoil in Éirinn le haghaidh cúpla bliain. Bhí mé in ann an Ghaeilge a labhairt ansin. Tá dearmad déanta agam beagnach chuile rud anois...

I was in university in Ireland for a couple of years. I was able to speak Irish then. Now I have forgotten almost everything...

These last bits sound rather sad... but, hey, that's why I'm trying to relearn at least one of my lost languages :-) Wish me luck!!

(PS- I cheated with the Irish bit - I really have forgotten loads, so I checked stuff on the dreaded Google Translate... It's probably still wrong...)
(()) (())

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:55 PM »
I probably have no business writing this post, seeing as I'm not actively learning any languages at the moment... but I kinda need to practice my czech writing

:norway: Hei, Haiz her - tjue år gammel halvt norsk halvt tsjekkisk person! Jeg bor i Norge, men har gått på skole i Tsjekkia noen måneder av gangen for å bli flinkere på språket som liten unge. Jeg har egentlig hatt to år med spansk, ett år med tysk, og tre år med fransk... men jeg gjorde ikke akkurat noe ærlig forsøk i å lære meg disse ordentlig. Av og til tenker jeg litt på å lære meg samisk, men jeg har absolutt ikke bruk for det, og har ikke nok motivasjon til å skade meg på den måten helt ennå.

:czech: Ahoj - zde je Haiz, tudíž dvacet let stary, napul norský, napul ceský clovek. Bydlím v Norsku, ale chodila jsem do školy v Cesku pár mesicu každý rok jako decko. Ješte jsem mela dva roky spanelstinu, jeden rok nemcinu, a tri roky francouzky... ne že jsem delela obvzlášt velky pokus se tyto jazyky opravdu naucit. Nekdy premýšlím nad ucení laponštiny, ale tu teda už opravdu nepotrebuju, a nemám na ni ani dost motivace, aníž práni se takhle uškodit.
(Nemám ceskou klávesnici, takže je velice možné pár písmen jsou tu spatne)

(edit:dang, this forum apparently can't handle some of the weirdo czech letters >:/ AFTER ALL THE COPY-PASTING WORK I DID. ah well *changes back to 'normal' letters*)

:uk: Hi, Haiz here - a twenty years old, half norwegian, half czech person. I live in Norway, but I used to go to school in Czech for a few months at the time as a kid. I've also had two years of Spanish, one year of German, and three years of French... not that I made much of an effort to actually learn any of these languages. Sometimes I think about learning Sami, but I have absolutely no use for it, and lack the motivation as well as a wish to hurt myself like that.
(from the czech part: a complaint about my not having a czech keyboard, probably lacking some of the weirdo czech letters. czech people why do u hate yourself so much)

:spain: SOY HAIZ. NO HABLA ESPAÑOL

:france: je m'apelle haiz??
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:11:32 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
Hallo, Ich bin DancingRanger. Ich spreche sehr klein Deutsch. Ich lebe in Kentucky, und ich würde gerne mit jemandem, mir zu helfen mein Deutsch zu verbessern.

Hello, I'm DancingRanger. I speak very little german. I live in Kentucky, and I'd love to have someone to help me improve my German.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »
:germany: Gut, dann nehme ich diesen Vorstellungs-Faden auch gleich mit... Hallo, mein Name hier ist Viisikielinenkantele und ich komme aus Süddeutschland. Ich habe vor Jahren Finnougristik studiert und immer noch großes Interesse an allem was weiter nördlich liegt. Leider liegt mein Finnisch etwas brach, ganz zu schweigen von meinem Estnisch. Ich freue mich, dass ich es jetzt wieder etwas auffrischen kann :)
:uk: Hi, my name is Viisikielinenkantele and I am from southern Germany. I studied fenno-ugric languages years ago and my interest in everything nordic is still deep. Unfortunately my finnish isn´t very good anymore, and my estonian is almost completely forgotten. It will be nice to refresh it :)
:finland: Hei! Nimeni Viisikielinenkantele, olen saksalainen. Opiskelin fennougristiikka yliopistossa mutta se oli paljoa vuotta yli ja nyt puhun hyvin vähän. Ymmärän parempi.
:italy: Ciao! Come stai?
:estonia: Tere!

Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Spanish: Hola! Ingles es mi lengua nativa, y fue el único lengua que conozco hasta mi familia y yo fuemos a mexico para dos años. Ahora vivo en los Estados Unidos, pero quiero continuar aprender Español.

Translation: Hello! English is my native language, and was the only language that I knew (literally 'know' because I haven't learned past tense yet) until my family and I went to Mexico for two years. Now I live in the United States, but I want to continue learning Spanish.

Finnish: Hei!
(That's all I know in Finnish. I just started yesterday.)

fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Inconjugable

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:45 AM »
Serbian: Здраво свима! Ја сам Лена; из југоисточне сам Србије, ево, и страшно ме занимају језици (поготову ти мало "севернији", такорећи). Тренутно учим норвешки и исландски јер имам ненормалну жељу да прозборим те исте, мада и један и други су осредње незгодни за учење; норвешки ме заправо апсурдно подсећа на македонски са својим "for at" конструкцијама и суфиксима за одређеност. Да се не одужи ово превише, прелазим на следећи...

Macedonian: Втори јазик ми е македонски, и он ми е исто толку матер'н како српски, али сг ми е уште нешто 'рѓав. Македонски збору сс карактеристич'н дијалект што за разлику од стандардни јазик има акузатив :О -- мило ми е да збору по њега, макар понек'г не с'м толко разбирана од луѓе од малку позападну Македонију. Не знају, не разбирав свите овије источни фори! Мислу дека е било доста по овој, ерго...

Norwegian: Ha, norsk! Den første mål som er ikke hva jeg har oppvokst med: den har jeg lært i circa seks eller sjø måneder, nå veit jeg ikke akkurat. Jeg håper at noen dag kann jeg prate på norsk og bli forstått uten problemer! Nå synes jeg at jeg er kannskje rundt A2. Jeg veit at jeg gjør feila begynnerne ofte gjør, men nå har jeg ikke noe idé hva feila mine er heh. Unnskyld for norsken min  :) Når går jeg til...

Icelandic: ... íslensku! Ég byrjaði á að læra íslensku langt síðan, en ég hef verið alvarleg ekki svo lengi: bara um þjrá vikur! Ég er ekki svo góð á henni :C

English: Finally! Basically, to sum the aforementioned sections up, my name's Lena and I can speak a small handful of languages with varying degrees of proficiency! I'm extra interested in Scandinavian languages, and am learning Icelandic and Norwegian simultaneously! My Norwegian is decent enough for me to be able to write stuff in it (I'm guesstimating I'm about A2), while my Icelandic is truly horrifying for now!
Macedonian and Serbian are my two "mother-tongues", and I've a C1 in English. I'm actually planning to go study Icelandic at Háskóli Íslands in a couple of years!
~

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:57 AM »
:norway: heisann "ubøyelig" :) velkommen her til språktrådet og ssss-forum! det høres ut som du og jeg er på den samme nivåen i både norsk og islandsk. jeg synes ikke heller at norsken min ikke har noen feila, men den viktigste er at jeg kan forstå deg kjempebra. vi har et flott litet samfunn her som lærer norsk, snakker på skype, og så videre, og jeg håper du kommer til å bli med oss.

:iceland: hæ "óbeygjanleg", og velkomin til tungumálþráðs og SSSS-spjallborðs! ég sýnist tvímælalaust ekki alls að íslenskan mín er sérlega góð, en ég kann fatta þig gott! gangi þér vel með nám þitt.

:uk: hi there inconjugable, and welcome to the language board and the forum in general. it sounds like you and i are around the same level in our learning, both in norwegian and icelandic. i definitely make some mistakes every once in a while, but your norwegian and icelandic look great and i don't have any issues understanding you! we have a nice little community here learning norwegian, chatting on skype, and i hope you stick around and join us!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:06:56 AM by ruth »
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Inconjugable

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
Takk kærlega, Ruth! It means a whole lot! If you'd really want me in such a thing, send me a PM and I'll tell you my Skype name O: Glad to meet you though ^ ^!
~

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
Hi guys!

English: Hi, I'm Am, I'm an American person who is currently in high school.  I live abroad, and I have ever since I was a kid, so I presumably don't act very American (haha). I'm really bad at languages but I've been learning Mandarin for five years so I figure I should write an introduction for myself! : )

Mandarin: 你好,我叫卢道明,我是美国人和我十六岁。我是中学生在非洲。我不外向可是我跟你聊天因为我学中文。认识你很高兴!

(English translation: Hi, my name is (卢道明). I'm American and sixteen years old. I am going to high school in Africa. I'm not very outgoing but I study mandarin so I decided to chat with you guys. It's nice to meet you!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:01:28 AM by amaranthineamusement »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
:norway: Hei, eg kallar meg Wildfire, og kjem frå Vest-Noreg. Eg studerer til å verte lærar, og driv elles med musikk, rollespel og slasking på fritida. Eg anar ikkje kvifor eg skriv her sidan eg ikkje eigentleg held på å lære meg noko språk sånn offisielt (med unntak av at eg driv med svensk på Duolingo og islandsk på Memrise, der fyrstnemnde går VELDIG mykje betre enn sistnemnde av den enkle grunn at svensk er enklare å lese for meg.)

:sweden: Hej, jag kallar mig själv Wildfire, och jag kommer från västra Norge. Jag studerar för att bli lärare, och arbetar annars med musik, rollspel och slasking på min fritid. Jag har ingen aning om varför jag skriver här eftersom jag inte riktig håller på att lära mig några språk officiellt (förutom at jag gör svenska på Duolingo og isländska på Memrise, där den förstnämnda er mycke bättre enn den senare av den enkla orsaken att svenska er änklare att läsa för mig.)

:denmark: Hej, jeg kalder mig selv Wildfire, og jeg kommer fra det vestlige Norge. Jeg studerer for at blive lærer, og arbejder ellers med musik, rollespil og slasking i min fritid. Jeg aner ikke hvorfor jeg skriver dette, ford jeg ikke rigtig er ved at lære nogle sprog officielt (undtagen at jeg gør svensk på Duolingo og islandsk på Memrise, hvor førstnævnte er meget, meget bedre end sidstnævnte af den simple grund, at svensk er lettere at læse for mig.)

:uk: Hi, I call myself Wildfire, and I come from the western part of Norway. I study to become a teacher, and spend my free time playing music, role playing and slobbing. I have no idea why I'm writing here, as I am not really learning any new languages officially at the moment (with the exceptions of Swedish on Duolingo and Icelandic on Memrise, where the I'm doing much better with the former than the latter only because Swedish is easier to read in my opinion.)

OK AND NOW:

:germany: Hallo, ich nenne mich Wildfire, und Ich komme aus Western-Norwegen. Ich studiere, am eine Lehrerin zu werden, und ich treibe Musik, Rollenspiel und Schlot(?) in meine Freizeit. Ich weiß nicht warum ish schriebt hier, weil ich jetzt kein Sprache lernen (außer Schwedish auf Duolingo und Isländisch auf Memrise - die erstern ist für mich leichter als die letzte.)

And I apologise to every single german speaker and/or writer, native of not, that I probably killed you with my horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE german. I TRIED but I am afraid I failed.

I also apologise to all swedes, danes and englishers. I just had to try.
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
No need to apologise!  ;) I can only speak for myself, but I'm happy when I see people trying their luck with my complicated mother tongue. Ok, there were some mistakes, but you could make yourself understood. :) The only thing I don't understand is Schlot/slobbing/slasking, what is that?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »
No need to apologise!  ;) I can only speak for myself, but I'm happy when I see people trying their luck with my complicated mother tongue. Ok, there were some mistakes, but you could make yourself understood. :) The only thing I don't understand is Schlot/slobbing/slasking, what is that?

It's when you're really lazy and not doing anything and sort of just become a puddle of human in the couch, watching TV and being Unproductive for longer periods of time. I don't know how else to describe it. : P Also, it's been 4 years since I finished learning German, and I haven't used it since, so I'm happy if I can make myself understood. : P
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know