Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31728 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2022, 03:12:39 PM »
Noooo! I’m caught up!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2022, 07:01:31 PM »
Noooo! I’m caught up!

Oh noes!

Spoiler: show
What do you think of my theory that Michelle and Vince are half-siblings?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2022, 09:09:00 PM »
Ran, I’m opening a thread for this

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2022, 06:37:37 AM »
Anyone want to take April? I’ve started one of the oft-recommended ones and can go with it, however I am nowhere near up to date on it so I’d rather do it later.

Maybe @JoB could introduce something? You keep linking into a huge variety of comics, would you like to recommend one of them in general rather than just by the perfect page?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2022, 09:02:59 AM »
Maybe @JoB could introduce something? You keep linking into a huge variety of comics, would you like to recommend one of them in general rather than just by the perfect page?
... I can try, but I'm not really sure that I'll have it ready by the 1st ... being unclear where in the nation you'll have to be even in the upcoming week is a bit of a spare time sinkhole waiting to happen ... ::)

... having a look at my shortlist, I'd say that The Sword Interval promises to be the thematically closest to our Soon-Stalling Scandinavian Story - not to mention it's a finished story, which some people prefer. (The Order of the Black Dog being a tad too gory by this thread's rules, I suppose.) Or would some happy-go-lucky nonsensical stuff like Addictive Science be more welcome in the current times ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2022, 09:31:25 AM »
JoB, it’s your choice :) Other than for the rating, no works that are or should be rated M or above. It doesn’t meed to be a substitute for SSSS, we have so far had very different entries and this is a good thing!

You get April, no worries if you make it a bit later than the very beginning of the month.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2022, 05:11:41 PM »
I mean, I posted Blond Sunrise oh boy how late and nobody seemed to mind, so if I could get away with it, you probably can too.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2022, 05:38:33 PM »
I think it might work like the old joke about complaining about the cooking.

Anybody who complains about late posting of Comic of the Month gets to post a Comic of the Month themselves. On time. 

(If that actually happened, I'd expect the late poster to just get the next month.)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2022, 10:23:24 PM »
I feel bad, but I've bounced off nearly every one of these. Unless you count the example post about Vainglorious, which I was already reading and heartily recommend.

"I Know How Much You Love Cinnamon Buns"
*Animorphs flashbacks intensify*

Anyway, looks like JoB has April and Vulpes has May. Anyone have dibs on June? Because I have a pitch ready to go.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2022, 04:22:10 AM »
Linebyline, you have June! Unless JoB wants to trade?

Oopsie the opening post was all outdated! Sorry about that! Fixed now up to current.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:29:41 AM by Jitter »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2022, 04:47:32 AM »
BTW Blonde Sunrise has an impressive vote bait!

JoB

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2022, 04:32:14 PM »
Unless JoB wants to trade?
Naah, I'm good.

I hope.
Help.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2022, 07:08:06 AM »
Aaaaalright then, let's get this rolling ... Was Du Heute Kannst Besorgen Productions proudly presents:

The Sword Interval

(Homepage - Start) by Benjamin Fleuter (who first got into my sights with Derelict, another comic that he, alas, dropped unfinished).

Status: The Sword Interval has completed in 2020, totaling 240 "episodes" (no way to call them "pages", make sure your mouse's scroll wheel works!) of (mostly) monster/ghost hunter business. Which should explain why I said that it's rather close to the topics of SSSS.

In order not to give too much away, I shall restrict myself to the official synopsis: "The Sword Interval is about a world on the verge of a supernatural apocalypse. Most of humanity goes about their daily lives trying to ignore the constant threat of magic and monsters, but a few face these dangers head-on. Fall is one such person. She has left behind the sheltered safety of the paranormal witness protection program in order to hunt down the monster that killed her family."

Rating / Content Warnings: Well, it's a monster hunter comic, so you can take violence, blood, gore, death, other interesting side effects of getting into supernatural altercations, and characters being rather indifferent to all of that (and raising a couple entire bottles to it) for granted; none of that is depicted in an overly graphic way, though. IMHO. The situation later grows near outright apocalypse, and some full-fledged treason by good guys is being found out.

Art: ... I'm probably not the right person to try and judge that, as I don't have much of an idea what makes the difference between "supports the story" and "GREAT stuff!!" for artwork - it's somewhere there, however. Much more ligne claire than Minnas works, at least, so there tends not to be as much "unclear because blurred out when we 'saw' it" about the monsters. Plenty of details to discover, too - the "Liches Get Stitches" patch Fall had on the motorbike jacket she had for one sub-arc pretty much took a life of its own in the merchandising IIUC.

Why I liked it: For starters, I seem to have a knack to see a story presented in those "episodes", which pack a good deal more plot advancement than usual pages. (One'd expect me to wait on comics to have run up several pages before catching up, then, I suppose, but apparently, I'm too greedy for that. :P ) Then there's the strangely familiar topic, complete with a plot that continually got worse, drawing most of the hunters from an initial "meh, it's a living, for now at least" all the way to "okay, we're looking at apocalype finally happening and the prep we thought humanity had is a joke, so what do we do now". Plus the occasional wit and sarcasm showing up ("That means you, Ms. Torres."), character growth, and various interesting monster designs (some traditional, some not).

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2022, 07:37:09 AM »
Thanks JoB, that looks very interesting! Would you characterize it more as action, or horror, or equal parts of both? (Or something else - these just based on your description).

It’s on Webtoon and for me at least clicking on the Home link takes me to an age question and after that I end up Webtoon main page. But after having done that, clicking again takes me to the home page ot the start page of the comic itself.

JoB

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2022, 08:29:24 AM »
Would you characterize it more as action, or horror, or equal parts of both?
I'd say that it leans a lot more to the "action" side. Sure, there's the mysterious, which may sometimes get disturbing, but I don't remember ever having doubts whether I'd get any sleep the following night ...