Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842227 times)

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1230 on: May 09, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »
...What is going on here...
I can't understand, darng it! (?)
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1231 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
...What is going on here...
I can't understand, darng it! (?)
I did a horrible mistake and sounded maybe a bit too challenging when asking Fim if there is something they can't turn into an effective troll slaying weapon, by adding spikes/blades/baseball bats/what have you. guess what my new occupation is
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:54:53 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #1232 on: May 09, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
I did a horrible mistake and sounded maybe a bit too challenging when asking Fim if there is something they can't turn into an effective troll slaying weapon, by adding spikes/blades/baseball bats/what have you. guess what my new occupation is

oh my gosh
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1233 on: May 09, 2015, 10:59:57 AM »
I hope the tooth/fang will grow back but it was worth it nevertheless.

...why are you hoping that a troll's tooth/fang would grow back?! Are you particularly masochistic or do you just enjoy the challenge or what?  :P Whose side are you on anyway?

Anyway Haiz, your best bet is to always make sure you're not the person standing closest, keep a good arm's reach in between you at least.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #1234 on: May 09, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
Anyway Haiz, your best bet is to always make sure you're not the person standing closest, keep a good arm's reach in between you at least.
it just hit me that "playing dead" is awful advice, because if someone were to use a corpse to bludgeon a troll it's probably our dear fimby

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1235 on: May 09, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
@Piney: Lovely image, and such a beautiful owl.
She looks so sweet and I like the owl! :)

Thanks, and I like the owl too! They're much easier to draw than falcons.

THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS IS SO AWESOME
AGH
YOU EVEN DREW BRYNDIS
YOU ARE THE MOST BEST

YOU'RE WELCOME
I COULDN'T JUST IGNORE BRYNDIS ^-^
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:56:33 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
it just hit me that "playing dead" is awful advice, because if someone were to use a corpse to bludgeon a troll it's probably our dear fimby

Uh, no, I wouldn't. Perhaps it wasn't as clear as I assumed it was that everything said on the topic was a ridiculous jest scenario. My apologies for taking the joke too far.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #1237 on: May 09, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
Uh, no, I wouldn't. Perhaps it wasn't as clear as I assumed it was that everything said on the topic was a ridiculous jest scenario. My apologies for taking the joke too far.
nooooooo you didn't take it too far!!! I'm the one who did that just now probably, I'm the one who should apologize eheh...

I was just reminded of the Shroud Talk several pages back that turned pretty macabre, is all

edit: I'm actually very very sorry, I was perfectly aware it was all in jest and I was having too much fun being too wrapped up in it.......

edit2: im putting corpses on the list of things you won't turn into effective maces
I NEED TO STOP
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:48:31 PM by Haiz »

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
*chuckles* are you looking for a translation to "tenkeboksen"? I think the English speakers prefer thinking outside the box.
Heh, yes, the same thought hit me.

I suppose you could reinforce the basket end and fill it with gunpowder and splinters, then add a crude trigger mechanism. You ram it into a troll and hope not to be impaled by the recoil.

Yes, that could work. I was also toying with the idea of a modified spear:

In retrospect, one knife would probably be better for maneuvering, making the whole thing into a kinda halberd but the more the better, right? Right?
I'm open for art trades if anyone wants to! :)
I want to!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »

Very Nightmare on Elm Street, I approve of this design!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »

In retrospect, one knife would probably be better for maneuvering, making the whole thing into a kinda halberd but the more the better, right? Right? I want to!

I love this version! Another benefit is that when it's not in use the basket can also still be deployed to carry apples, just in case you get a bit hungry on your journey through the silent world and want a snack. Right?
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »

In retrospect, one knife would probably be better for maneuvering, making the whole thing into a kinda halberd but the more the better, right? Right? I want to!
One knife, something like a bayonet ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »

He, you went straight to the drawing table I see. Must be a Norwegian thing, the need to make stuff more.... applicable.

nooooooo you didn't take it too far!!! I'm the one who did that just now probably, I'm the one who should apologize eheh...

I was just reminded of the Shroud Talk several pages back that turned pretty macabre, is all

edit: I'm actually very very sorry, I was perfectly aware it was all in jest and I was having too much fun being too wrapped up in it.......

edit2: im putting corpses on the list of things you won't turn into effective maces
I NEED TO STOP

Misunderstandings all around it would seem.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1243 on: May 09, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »
One knife, something like a bayonet ?
*Goes to google*, wall of text below spoiler:
Spoiler: show
A bayonet (from French baïonnette) is a knife, sword, or spike-shaped weapon designed to fit in, on, over or underneath the muzzle of a rifle, musket or similar weapon, turning the gun into a spear.
A halberd (also called halbard, halbert or Swiss voulge) is a two-handed pole weapon that came to prominent use during the 14th and 15th centuries. The word halberd may come from the German words Halm (staff), and Barte (axe). In modern-day German, the weapon is called a Hellebarde. The halberd consists of an axe blade topped with a spike mounted on a long shaft. It always has a hook or thorn on the back side of the axe blade for grappling mounted combatants. It is very similar to certain forms of the voulge in design and usage. The halberd was usually 1.5 to 1.8 metres (5 to 6 feet) long.
A Pike: A pike is a pole weapon, a very long thrusting spear formerly used extensively by infantry. Unlike many similar weapons, the pike is not intended to be thrown. Pikes were used regularly in European warfare from the early Middle Ages[1] until around 1700, and wielded by foot soldiers deployed in close quarters. The pike found extensive use with Landsknecht armies and Swiss mercenaries, who employed it as their main weapon and used it in pike square formations. A similar weapon, the sarissa, was also used by Alexander the Great's Macedonian phalanx infantry to great effect. Generally, a spear becomes a pike when it is long enough that it cannot be wielded with one hand in combat.

A pike. Definitely a pike.
@Laufey and KauniitaUnia: Thank you!
@Fim: Of course! I'm pretty forum - and drawing table - addicted during my spare time these days.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1244 on: May 09, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
*Historian and french* A pike ? What exactly is a pike... oh, a sarissa, great, I understand ^^° *End of historian moment. Sorry.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: