Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843515 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1065 on: May 01, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
So my friend Grace is making a D&D campaign based off of Stand, Still, Stay, Silent...she is going really in depth with it, she's planning to have 60+ pages to the manual...

Interesting. 
To spare her from re-inventing the wheel, has she read either of these threads?
1. SSSS, the RPG (full D&D-style)  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=121.0
2. SSSS, a play-by-post version based on our self-inserts:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=404.0
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1066 on: May 01, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
Oh.  Ooops.  Didn't realize you 1) already knew about street caricature artists and 2) felt "instinctive contempt" for "tourist kitsch."  Yeah, it is kitsch, I suppose.  OTOH, it's authentic artwork, and it makes people happy by helping them capture a moment.  And it helps you by bringing in money via your artistic skills (as opposed to, say, scooping ice cream).

Also, I didn't mean to scare you by mentioning permits and the like.  I used to be a newspaper reporter covering local government and business (among other things) so it's a casual question for me.

BTW, 5 minutes' search on Google got me the legal requirements for street performers/artists throughout the U.S.  If I knew how to say "regulations affecting street performers" in Norwegian, I'd have an answer for you.  If you ever actually wanted one.  (See how accurate my self-insert is?   ;)  "More information than you require.")
Trust me when I say I have spent a lot of time traveling around in Europe, and when I say 70% of Europe is tourist kitsch. so. uh. don't mind me I'm just being a gross hypocrite right now
(I WOULD HAPPILY ACCEPT ICE CREAM SCOOP JOB THOUGH. There are just. incredibly few ice cream scoopy places in norway. they are here but very very very few compared to about every other country I've ever been to - which is. the majority of europe. ha ha ha)

I should stop clogging this thread with possible carreer talk, but thanks for trying! I'm just being overly hopeless about these things, it's like talking to a very whiny wall
you'll know where to find me.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1067 on: May 01, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Haiz - please don't feel obliged to do an art trade for that sketch! I just got really excited when you said you were going to Wales and that was the result :P It's really messy, and has no colours, and I'd feel ashamed to ask for an art trade out of it (especially since your stuff looks so amazing), and well it looks like you've got your plate full for a while yet from the replies!
I'd definitely be up for a proper art trade whenever you feel you have the time however ^_^ I'd draw your 'sona properly for that one!

Also, I feel you should be warned that the ice-cream scoop job is a killer on your wrists so beware! (You eventually get huge muscles however, so not all bad….)

It looks awesome! I really like how you did the spell and the tree spirit! The coloring of the rock and moss is really pretty! :D

;D Thank you! All the kind things people are saying are making me really happy ^_^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #1068 on: May 01, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
Speaking of art trades, maybe I could write short stories/scenes with people's ocs in exchange for visual art stuff? I do want to get back into daily writing or at least writing something most days. I figure, around 1000 words a story. Definitely not under 500 for sure, but i'm not certain how much over 1000 i would go. Also, info for personality would be nice and it would be easier if I can use my own character for them to interact with or them alone. If multiple people would want a story together we could work it out, i'm sure. Any thoughts?
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #1069 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »
Speaking of art trades, maybe I could write short stories/scenes with people's ocs in exchange for visual art stuff? I do want to get back into daily writing or at least writing something most days. I figure, around 1000 words a story. Definitely not under 500 for sure, but i'm not certain how much over 1000 i would go. Also, info for personality would be nice and it would be easier if I can use my own character for them to interact with or them alone. If multiple people would want a story together we could work it out, i'm sure. Any thoughts?

I'm game! Heck I'm up for art trades, art-fiction trades, of fiction trades. Pm me if your interested.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1070 on: May 01, 2015, 10:47:59 PM »
Hellooo do you remember when I made inky-wonky headshots of all the current OCs wayyy back on page 13 of this thread?
I may not be able to keep my promise of drawing everyone for all of the future
BUT I CAN STILL TRY

inky-wonky headshots, ROUND 2

These are amazing Haiz!! Thanks for drawing me! :)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1071 on: May 01, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

Seems like everyone already told you this, but I love the diversity! :D

It sounds like a wonderful idea!

If anyone would like to do an art trade with me please do tell! ;D I do both traditional, digital art (pixelart included) and writing if anyone's interested!

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1072 on: May 01, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
I'm also willing to do art-trades; I do pen-and-coloured-pencil stuff like my avatar <-- and yeah. I might also get back into watercolour, but I can't do that during class, so probably not.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1073 on: May 01, 2015, 11:05:43 PM »
DabcingRanger and AquaAurion I will probably be busy this weekend, but I might get time to work on things. Are there any specific scenes or interactions either of you would like?

As for art trades, I'd prefer visual art of any kind (since I still feel iffy about mine), but anything you'd want to do would be great :D

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #1074 on: May 01, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
DancingRanger and AquaAurion I will probably be busy this weekend, but I might get time to work on things. Are there any specific scenes or interactions either of you would like?

As for art trades, I'd prefer visual art of any kind (since I still feel iffy about mine), but anything you'd want to do would be great :D

Any thing's cool with me. I'm free this weekend so I have plenty of time to do something.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1075 on: May 01, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »

Oh! Oh! I'm up for this! I sketched you as a headshot, would you want something with more effort?

Also, I'll reopen for art trades as soon as I finish the four I'm working on ^-^ (yes, I am actually working on them)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Baku

• Hot Dad Squad
« Reply #1076 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:13 AM »
Hellooo do you remember when I made inky-wonky headshots of all the current OCs wayyy back on page 13 of this thread?
I may not be able to keep my promise of drawing everyone for all of the future
BUT I CAN STILL TRY

Eee! They all look great! :'D (Marie wouldn't be herself without those eye bags)
native: :usa: / learning: :germany: / some day: :denmark:
art tumblr/ flight rising/ disqus - :chap6: :chap7:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1077 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:34 AM »
Oh! Oh! I'm up for this! I sketched you as a headshot, would you want something with more effort?

Also, I'll reopen for art trades as soon as I finish the four I'm working on ^-^ (yes, I am actually working on them)

maybe i can actually get outfits (on and off duty) figured out for him. send me some info by pm for what you want written up. i should probly head to bed tbh

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1078 on: May 02, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »
Aaaa thank you everyone who commented ^________^

Gwenno: okay, we good then! To be fair I always make it sound like I have a lot on my plate, but the truth is that I've got no lectures for two weeks and I already know I won't exactly spend all that time reading for exams anyway.....

As for Trades, I'm willing to trade art for other types of things, like stories!! Just PM me if you have a proposal for what you wanna do~
(no marriage proposals accepted)
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #1079 on: May 02, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »

Art-trade with Haiz, suddenly it bacame an actual effort project that I'm really pleased with. (Grmbml husband said that was a big hand! PERSPECTIVE I tell you!)
Sketches for deciding pose below the spoiler tag.
EDIT: Oh no I forgot the glasses! (Runs back to drawing table)
EDIT2: Now with glasses :-)

Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:35:18 AM by Unlos »