Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69317 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
I wonder, how weird would look a person that tries to speak standard Finnish in daily life for average Finn?

I can actually answer this because I can easily switch to standard Finnish! My parents and especailly my grandparents who were both teachers decided it was best to only speak standard Finnish around me so I would learn it from the start, and that's what happened. I've also always read a lot of books: I learned to read at age three* so by the time I started ground school I was fully fluent in standard Finnish.

I sounded awkward. It was the only way I could speak but to others I sounded snooty and weird, going by what I was told at least. To make matters worse I've always liked rules and doing things correctly - as in going for the absolute right - and I definitely viewed standard Finnish as the correct way of speaking the language even as a child. I stuck to it and refused to learn spoken Finnish until I was a teen. For a native Finn it does sound pompous and uppity, as if you're elevating yourself way above others, but if you're a language learner it just makes you sound correct and hardworking for having learned it.

*I still remember the moment when letters started to make sense. I was sitting on the green plastic floor of our kitchen in the house we used to live in, and a part of newspaper had fallen down. I was looking at the pictures of an alphabet book and remembering a few sounds decided to try them out for the paper, so the first word I ever read aloud was the name of the newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:17:28 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #301 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
:uk: My obliviousness about this thing may well have roots in the fact that I too learned to read rather early, at age 4 (Finnish is rather easy to learn to read since the writing is mostly purely phonetical). And of course most characters in children's tv-programs speak standard language.

I've actually heard rather small children switch to standard language when they are playing at being someone else, and even grownups often automatically switch to it in SCA and live roleplays. I guess it's a way to erase one's own personality and enter another.

:finland: Ymmärtämättömyyteni tästä asiasta saattaa hyvin juontaa juurensa siihen seikkaan, että minäkin opin lukemaan melko varhain, nelivuotiaana (suomea on varsin helppo oppia lukemaan, koska kirjoitus on enimmäkseen täysin foneettista). Ja tietysti useimmat lasten tv-ohjelmien hahmot puhuvat yleiskieltä.

Olen itseasiassa kuullut melko pientenkin lasten vaihtavan yleiskieleen leikkiessään olevansa joku muu, ja aikuisetkin usein vaihtavat siihen automaattisesti SCA:ssa ja liveroolipeleissä. Se lienee yksi tapa häivyttää oma persoona ja omaksua toinen tilalle.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
I wonder, how weird would look a person that tries to speak standard Finnish in daily life for average Finn?

Well personally i think most people can speak the formal language, but this usually only happens in situations like job interviews and other places where you aren't exactly certain on how relaxed the enviroment is.

Personally i speak my mush of savonian-internet dialect with my friends, switch to something between savonian and karelian dialect when talking with my grandparents and then depending on someones age i try either going with my normal way of speech i use with friends or with older people i start out with a bit more formality.

olavi

« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »
I remember from my childhood an instances where a kid in my school, most likely somewhat similar to Laufey, had learned only standard Finnish. Living in southern Lapland where the dialect is quite different from standard I remember the boy was somewhat isolated and maybe even picked on. It's quite sad that such a small thing can cause this kind of behaviour. I didn't mind it, but I did notice the somewhat odd way he spoke. More important to young me was that he had a Commodore 64 computer which was very cool at the time. ;) I can't imagine it really matters with adults or young people who aren't native speakers.

Personally I've noticed I instinctly shift towards standard in some situtations. The most obvious situtations are official work related communication or dealing with bureaucracy. This is pretty much what FinnishViking said. Somewhat as excepted I drop the accent when talking to elders who I'm not accuinted with already. I think this is quite common practice, but what's interesting to me is I don't really do it consciously.

Another situtation where this automatic shift happens is while I'm talking to immigrants, even though I think it would propably be better if I spoke the local dialect. The shift just happens. Maybe it's a response to somewhat broken finnish or subconscious expectation that they understand standard better. I just hope it doesn't come out as offensive or pejorative.  :-\
Native :finland: > :usa: > :sweden: > :italy: > :france: > :netherlands: > :iceland: "Hello"

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #304 on: December 02, 2015, 05:55:59 AM »
Just wanted to share my favourite Finnish poem with you. It's by Jorma Etto and is called The Finn, in my opinion it really captures the spirit of Finns in general.

Suomalainen

Suomalainen on sellainen, joka vastaa kun ei kysytä,
kysyy kun ei vastata, ei vastaa kun kysytään,
sellainen, joka eksyy tieltä, huutaa rannalla
ja vastarannalla huutaa toinen samanlainen:
metsä raikuu, kaikuu, hongat humajavat.
Tuolta tulee suomalainen ja ähkyy, on tässä ja ähkyy,
tuonne menee ja ähkyy, on kuin löylyssä ja ähkyy
kun toinen heittää kiukaalle vettä.
Sellaisella suomalaisella on aina kaveri,
koskaan se ei ole yksin, ja se kaveri on suomalainen.
Eikä suomalaista erota suomalaisesta mikään,
ei mikään paitsi kuolema ja poliisi.

The Finn

A Finn is the one who answers when not asked,
Asks when no one answers and doesn't answer when asked,
The kind that gets lost from the road and yells at the lakeside
And there's another one yelling on the opposite shore:
The forest clangs, echoes, pines are humming.
There comes a Finn and grunts, is here and grunts,
Goes over there and grunts, grunting like in sauna
When someone throws water on the sauna stove.
A Finn like that always has a friend,
Is never alone, and the friend is a Finn.
And nothing separates a Finn from a Finn,
Nothing except for death and the police.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:09:35 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
Sitä pääteriviä ;D Kiitos, Laufey!
Onko se toinen suomalainen todellinen, vai onko se vain kaikua...

Ja minä, kun oli synkä päivä, kirjoitin sen:
Kaikki on harmaata,
taivaskin,
lumikin.
Mutta on kaukana,
kaupungin takana,
kukkuloitten pirta valkoinen
mullan ja pilvien välissä.

And I would like to share this kuvasanakirja: http://www.scoop.it/t/oppitori?page=1&tag=k

majavanainen

Oxi

• Tumblr
  • Southern Hemisphere kid.
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his, etc.
« Reply #306 on: January 01, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
:finland: Hei kaikkia! Minä olen Oxi ja puhun vähän suomea. Minä olen opiskellut suomea kolme vuotta (mutta minun sanasto ei ole hyvä, ja minä käytän Google Translate ja Wiktionary varten paljon sanoja).

:uk: Hey everyone! I'm Oxi and I speak little Finnish. I have studied Finnish for three years (but my vocabulary is not good, and I use Google Translate and Wiktionary for many words).

I don't know almost anything about colloquial Finnish, either :<
https://instagram.com/talvi.oxi/

Native Language: :spain:
Fluent: :uk:
Okay: :sweden: :finland:
Trying: :romania: :southkorea:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2016, 01:28:35 AM »
Tervetuloa, Oxi!
(Minä uskon, että kaikkia:n sijasta on oleva "kaikille". Mutta en ole suomalaista itse ja teenkin aina erehdyksiä.)
Ja Wikisanakirja on meidan kaikki! ;D Ja joskus Kielitoimiston sanakirja http://www.kielitoimistonsanakirja.fi/netmot.exe?motportal=80

Edit: Partitiivi will kill me one day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:49:33 PM by Bobriha »
majavanainen

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2016, 04:43:59 AM »
Tervehdys kaikille, Greeting to everyone

Kannattaa lukaista tuo Laufeyn kuvaus suomalaisista (jostain syystä kuulin tuota muksuna paljon), koska meille "small talk" on useimmiten hiljaisuus, joten tuppaamme tarttumaan vain asioihin jotka ovat provokatiivisia tai muutoin vaativat vastauksen, kuten kysymys.

You should read Layfeys decription of finns (for reason or the other I heard that quite bit as a kid), because our small talk is often silence, so we tend only to take on the things which are provocative or otherwise need an answer, like question.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
Hei Oxi ja Bobriha! This is a bit late answer, but you can say either "Hei kaikille" (Hi to everyone), or "Hei kaikki" (Hi, everyone). :)

:finland: Bobriha, olet kirjoittanut todella viehättäviä runoja! Nostan hattua, en varmaankaan itse saisi aikaiseksi kirjoittaa runoa millään vieraalla kielellä. Olen itse aika uusi tällä foorumilla, ja on hienoa huomata miten paljon täällä on eri kielistä kiinnostuneita ihmisiä. Tekisi mieli aloittaa itsekin jonkin uuden kielen opiskelu.

:uk: You've written very nice poems! Kudos to you, I don't think I'd manage to write a poem in any of the foreign languages I know. I'm rather new to this forum, and it's great to see so many people who are interested in different languages here. I want to start learning some new language myself...
Hei Letizia ja kiitos!
En minäkään luullut että kirjoitaisin runoja muiksi kieliksi kuin venäjäksi. Se onkin hyvä vieraan kielen harjoitus.

And if you feel like starting learning new language by all means do so! It's much of fun. (And is useful sometimes. I've found a recipe for my curently favorite dough for sweet pies on a Finnish site)

Ah, sorry to tell you this but you don't actually need partitive for the sentence "en ole suomalainen". In plural, however it would be in partitive: "emme ole suomalaisia". That is quite confusing now that I think about it!
B-but doesn't negative statement require partitive?
majavanainen

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
B-but doesn't negative statement require partitive?
Googlettelin tätä ikuisuuden ja sain selville, että kyseessä on predikatiivilause, eikä predikatiivi ole partitiivissa edes kieltolauseessa. Asia on selitetty esim. täällä: http://thefinnishteacher.weebly.com/lausetyypit--the-types-of-clause.html

I spent ages googling this and found out that the statement in question is a predicative clause, and the predicative is never in the partitive form even when the sentence is negative. It's explained e.g. here: http://thefinnishteacher.weebly.com/lausetyypit--the-types-of-clause.html
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
Googlettelin tätä ikuisuuden ja sain selville, että kyseessä on predikatiivilause, eikä predikatiivi ole partitiivissa edes kieltolauseessa. Asia on selitetty esim. täällä: http://thefinnishteacher.weebly.com/lausetyypit--the-types-of-clause.html

I spent ages googling this and found out that the statement in question is a predicative clause, and the predicative is never in the partitive form even when the sentence is negative. It's explained e.g. here: http://thefinnishteacher.weebly.com/lausetyypit--the-types-of-clause.html

Wow, thank you for your effort! And the site itself looks very useful.

En minä koskaan teen sitä erehdystä taas! Sen sijasta ajon tehdä tuhannet muita erehdyksiä   ;D
majavanainen

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Wow, thank you for your effort! And the site itself looks very useful.

En minä koskaan teen sitä erehdystä taas! Sen sijasta ajon tehdä tuhannet muita erehdyksiä   ;D

:finland: Eipä mitään. :) Sitä paitsi aloin asiaa mietittyäni epäillä, ettei se voi olla ihan noin yksinkertaista, ja kävin kaivelemassa Isoa suomen kielioppia. Sen mukaan predikatiivi itse asiassa voi olla joko nominatiivissa tai partitiivissa sen mukaan, onko subjekti jaollinen vai jaoton. Jos subjekti on jaoton, predikatiivi on nominatiivissa (esim. Lalli on kissa, Sigrun on pitkä , Emil ei ole islantilainen). Jos subjekti on jaoton, predikatiivi on partitiivissa (esim. Mikkelin tekemä ruoka on pahaa, Lallin kylpyvesi ei ole kylmää). Monikossa käytetään partitiivia, kun viitataan joukkoon (esim. Tuuri ja Lalli ovat suomalaisia, Retkikunnan jäsenet ovat epäpäteviä) ja nominatiivia, kun viitataan jaottomaan tai yhteen kuuluvaan kokonaisuuteen (esim.Lallin jalat ovat pitkät, Reynirin hiukset ovat punaiset).

Tämäkin on aikamoinen yksinkertaistus, mutta toivottavasti siitä on jotakin apua. Jos haluat syventyä tarkemmin predikatiivien ihmeelliseen maailmaan, siitä kerrotaan vaikka kuinka paljon kaikkea kivaa täällä: http://scripta.kotus.fi/visk/sisallys.php?p=943

Jos joku osaa selittää tämän jotenkin ymmärrettävämmin niin en pane pahakseni! :D

:uk: No problem. :) In any case, I started to suspect that it really wasn't quite that simple, so I took a look in Iso suomen kielioppi. It said that the predicative can in fact be in either the nominative or the partitive case, depending on whether the subject is divisible or indivisible. If the subject is a count word, the predicative is in the nominative case (e.g. esim. Lalli on kissa, Sigrun on pitkä , Emil ei ole islantilainen). If the subject is a non-count word, the predicative is in the partitive case (e.g. Mikkelin tekemä ruoka on pahaa, Lallin kylpyvesi ei ole kylmää). In the plural, the partitive is used when referring to a group (e.g. Tuuri ja Lalli ovat suomalaisia, Retkikunnan jäsenet ovat epäpäteviä) and the nominative is used when referring to something that is indivisible or belongs together (e.g. Lallin jalat ovat pitkät, Reynirin hiukset ovat punaiset).

This is still quite simplified, but I hope it helps at least a little bit. If you want to find out more about the wonderful predicative, there's a lot of fun information about it here: http://scripta.kotus.fi/visk/sisallys.php?p=943

I'd be happy if someone could explain this more clearly! :D

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
Ughh, I checked also my textbooks and it seemed they just skiped the question of those most simple "A on B"/ "A ei ole B" sentenses. I mean they do show that non-count word would require partitive in this case, like in "Tämä on vettä". But they show not what's going on in these sentences in negative form. Well, maybe authors thought it should be obvious...
And I jumped in conclusion that any negative sentense would require partitive. I do have a story of making quick but entirely wrong conclusions.
So, if to present it as a table
                                             Positive                                    Negative
Suomalainen (count-word)   Minä olen suomalainen (nom.) Minä en ole suomalainen (nom)
but:
                                       Minulla on ystävä suomalainen. Minulla ei ole ystävää suomalaista
                                       Kirjakaupassa on suomalainen. Kirjakaupassa ei ole suomalaista

Vesi (non-count word)           Tämä on vettä (part.)              Tämä ei ole vettä (part.)
and so on

would this look correct?

Haluaisin osata venäjää paremmin, olen opiskellut pari alkeiskurssia mutta siitäkin on jo aikaa ja olen tainnut unohtaa suuren osan. Sitten on monia muitakin kieliä joita olisi hauska opiskella, jos olisi määrättömästi aikaa!

I'd like to know Russian better, I took a couple of elementary courses but it's been a long time and I've forgotten a lot of what I knew. And then there are other languages I'd be interested to learn, if only I had enough time for everything. :>

Minä olen venäläinen. Ja minä haluaisin puhua/kirjoitaa enemmän suomeksi, koska unohdan sitä ilman harjoituksia. Lukemista vain ei ole riitoisaa.
If you like to have penpal for Russian do PM me!
majavanainen

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
So, if to present it as a table
                                             Positive                                    Negative
Suomalainen (count-word)   Minä olen suomalainen (nom.) Minä en ole suomalainen (nom)
but:
                                       Minulla on ystävä suomalainen. Minulla ei ole ystävää suomalaista
                                       Kirjakaupassa on suomalainen. Kirjakaupassa ei ole suomalaista

Vesi (non-count word)           Tämä on vettä (part.)              Tämä ei ole vettä (part.)
and so on

would this look correct?

Great! :) You just need to put the adjective before the noun in Minulla on suomalainen ystävä and Minulla ei ole suomalaista ystävää, but the cases are all correct.