Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69250 times)

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
I'm happy if my translation was helpful =)

I'm also going to be a grammar nazi once again, I hope you don't mind: The place name is Joutseno, Joutsenon is a genitive form. Joutsenon opisto = the institute/academy of Joutseno.

(Basic word in the name Joutseno is btw joutsen, "swan". Accordingly the community has a (rather nasty looking) swan on their escutcheon.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:07:03 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Lalligaattori

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »
hei!

since i've been skiing for the last week i thought it appropriate to share this pun

that is all
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

native: :uk:
ok: :germany:
not learning: :finland:
rusty and woefully neglected: :france:
the start of something beautiful: :spain:

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 02:57:15 PM »
*shyly joins the bandwagon* Heh-hem.... >_> I haven't started the lessons on Memrise yet, but I'm hellbent on learning Finnish, and then I'll go to Finland and probably freeze to death, but I'll be happy. That language is like music to my ears. I just hope I can sound so beautiful some day.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
Kiitos Pessi!  You may correct my grammar all you like, not that I'm writing much in Finnish to be corrected yet.  I'm going to ask for help again soonish to fill out the application form.  Google translate comes up with some interesting but presumably inaccurate stuff, like "the course pursued the software." 

That is quite a frightening swan!  We don't see them much here.  Are they as aggressive as geese?

*groans at Lalligaattori*

Welcome Peraphelion!  I don't think I'd make it through a Finnish winter, either, but I think I'd like to try.  Where are you now?

native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »

Welcome Peraphelion!  I don't think I'd make it through a Finnish winter, either, but I think I'd like to try.  Where are you now?

I live in the Northwest United States, Oregon to be precise. We get a bit of snow, but it rarely sticks in the valley I'm in, so our winters are mostly clouds and rain, occasionally dropping below freezing at night. I'm built from twigs, so I chill easily. I can see why Finns love saunas so much. Sounds like a wonderful way to warm up in the winter!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »
I don't think I'd make it through a Finnish winter

Winter? We don't do that kind of thing here any more, thanks to the climate change. As one of my frieds recently put it, we are now having not a March but the fifth November in a row.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 03:05:54 AM »
We had three Octobers, and now we're on our third May.  I don't remember what winter is, and we didn't have much of one to begin with.  Feeling  like I should invest in Arctic real estate before the rush.  :-P

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 03:43:25 AM »
Depends where you live. We have here at least ten centimeters (4 inches) snow left, and more falling still. What I've heard tho, that coastal Finland is getting Central European weather.

Riippuu missä asut. Meillä on vielä ainakin kymmenen senttiä lunta jäljellä ja lisää sataa koko ajan. Tosin se mitä olen kuullut on, että rannikkosuomessa alkaa olla keskieurooppalainen sää.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:51 AM »
Well ok, we are having almost a blizzard at the moment in the metropol area. But what I meant is that the nowadays "winter" means a temperature zigzagging wildly from +5°C to -25°C and snow that comes and goes, and the whole thing doesn's usually last for more than a month - exepting of course these sudden outbursts of snow in the spring. No more solid frosty weather  from the end of november to the beginning of march with only random thaw days sprinkled here and there, not to mention enough snow to go skiing over the fields and through forest.

Joo okei, meillä on melkein lumimyrsky tällä hetkellä pääkaupunkiseudulla. Mutta tarkoitin, että nykyään "talvi" tarkoittaa villisti plus viiden ja miinus 25:n välillä vaihtelevaa lämpötilaa ja lunta joka tulee ja menee, eikä koko homma yleensä kestä kuin kuukauden verran - lukuunottamatta tietysti näitä satunnaisia keväisiä lumituiskuja. Ei ole enää yhtenäistä pakkasjaksoa marraskuun lopulta maaliskuun alkuun, katkoinaan vain satunnaiset suojapäivät, saati tarpeeksi lunta, että voisi huoletta hiihtää niittyjen ja metsien halki.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:45:16 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
So I was listening to yle puhe when I picked my daughter up from school, and she got in the car and said, "what is that noise?  It sounds like tears!"

Yes.  Finnish sounds like tears.  Exactly like them. 

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »
So I was listening to yle puhe when I picked my daughter up from school, and she got in the car and said, "what is that noise?  It sounds like tears!"

Yes.  Finnish sounds like tears.  Exactly like them.

Well better than my Planetside 2 squad who were listening me singing some old rock songs.

"Guttural howls" was how it was most commonly described as.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 02:26:52 AM »
Perhaps what they hear is the anguish of thousands of learners, frustrated by Finnish grammar....

Are you recorded singing online anywhere?  *curious*

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 04:19:48 PM »
Sadly no since my microphone is quite bad so even if my voice might sound bearable to some, the distorted would certainly not.

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Wah. 

*buys you a new microphone*

Ooh I could almost write that in Finnish! If I had more time, will try later.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »
Just got linked this page on Facebook and thought to share it with you all: Learn Finnish - with cats!
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn