Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141058 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
I'm going to take that as a compliment.
Oops. It didn't occurred to me that it might be taken differently.

Meanwhile, over in my story:
A Brief History of SING
After a tragic incident resulting in the incineration of the family farm, the poor, still smoking family moved into a two-room, two-story house in Twentysix. At this time Twentysix could hardly be called a village and consisted of one street, a handful of houses, and a post office. Searching for some kind of income, the family converted the bottom floor into...

History: for when the present makes no sense.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Stel, I'm afraid your synopsis got cut off.

So, are we sharing our stories now? Maybe tomorrow. Now it's 1am, so technically tomorrow, so it's technically today. Okay, maybe today in the morning.

Meanwhile, over at my story I reached 10.000 words (YESSS!) and the plot has... Yet to begin... Darn. I'm the queen of Slow Pace Queendom.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
Oops. It didn't occurred to me that it might be taken differently.

Meanwhile, over in my story:
A Brief History of SING
After a tragic incident resulting in the incineration of the family farm, the poor, still smoking family moved into a two-room, two-story house in Twentysix. At this time Twentysix could hardly be called a village and consisted of one street, a handful of houses, and a post office. Searching for some kind of income, the family converted the bottom floor into...

History: for when the present makes no sense.

Sounds interesting. I hope we can all read each others' stories once we're done.

So, are we sharing our stories now? Maybe tomorrow. Now it's 1am, so technically tomorrow, so it's technically today. Okay, maybe today in the morning.

Meanwhile, over at my story I reached 10.000 words (YESSS!) and the plot has... Yet to begin... Darn. I'm the queen of Slow Pace Queendom.

Ah, plot. Isn't it nice when it finally decides to show up? At least your characters are probably more developed than mine. Mine would be completely lost and probably empty without the plot to tell them what to do.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »

No. I stopped the quote on purpose. It goes on for like three pages. My synopsis really doesn't have much to do with my story. Technically it's true but it doesn't tell you anything.

Don't worry about slowness. I once read a trilogy where the entirety of the first book was exposition - no plot at all.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Hm....that wasn't as bad as I expected, ThisCat. ;) Not that that's bad in itself. Seeing as it's a history-recap though it makes a lot of sense.

A Brief History of SING

Is there also a Twentyfive and a Twentyseven? :P

And this brings up another of my questions. How have you guys been writing your stories so far?

So far I've been doing my story very non-linearly. I wrote a scene near the beginning, the last scene, then a scene that came before the near-beginning-one, and now I'm on the two pivotal meetings of the story. I'm also...not planning too much. Small details I throw in are sending down roots and becoming recurring themes.

Nimphy

« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Hm....that wasn't as bad as I expected, ThisCat. ;) Not that that's bad in itself. Seeing as it's a history-recap though it makes a lot of sense.

And this brings up another of my questions. How have you guys been writing your stories so far?

So far I've been doing my story very non-linearly. I wrote a scene near the beginning, the last scene, then a scene that came before the near-beginning-one, and now I'm on the two pivotal meetings of the story. I'm also...not planning too much. Small details I throw in are sending down roots and becoming recurring themes.

Well, I don't really like in chronological order, but still keep in the same "zone"... I'm too sleepy to be coherent at this point). Basically all the scenes so far take place in the beginning, het they are written out of order. Being a pantser usually means you don't know where you're going to end up, so it's not like I can write the last scenes (luckily, because I probably would)

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »

I mostly write linearly, but I know where I'm going, and sometimes I plan out future scenes in my head, and then I just have to write them down before I lose them. I have already written two such scenes back into linearity.
 Mostly quiet.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »

There is a Twentyfive and a Twentyseven. Twentyfive, however was abandoned after the first winter because of heavy snows. Twentyseven went on to become a huge coastal city that was renamed Estuary Place. (Can you tell I'm making this all up on the spot?)

So far I've been going in chronological order, but skipping scenes. I may go back to them later.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
There is a Twentyfive and a Twentyseven. Twentyfive, however was abandoned after the first winter because of heavy snows. Twentyseven went on to become a huge coastal city that was renamed Estuary Place. (Can you tell I'm making this all up on the spot?)

So far I've been going in chronological order, but skipping scenes. I may go back to them later.

May? You're saying you might just leave the story with holes in it?
 Mostly quiet.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
May? You're saying you might just leave the story with holes in it?

No, no! I just meant during the writing! I'll definitely fix it in the editing stage if I don't get to it this month. I do actually know what happens in those holes... (Sorta.)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
Well, I don't really like in chronological order, but still keep in the same "zone"... I'm too sleepy to be coherent at this point). Basically all the scenes so far take place in the beginning, het they are written out of order. Being a pantser usually means you don't know where you're going to end up, so it's not like I can write the last scenes (luckily, because I probably would)

I'd actually consider myself more of a "pantser" (or "exploration" writer), since I actually have no idea what happens in between those scenes. (I know my characters have goals, and I know some of them will complete those goals. I just don't know how.)

I just...uh, stuck those scenes in like...uh, the weirdly infrequent warp threads in a cloth, and then I fill in the space between those definite scenes with....weft threads of unplanned colors. Yeah.

Nimphy

« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
I'd actually consider myself more of a "pantser" (or "exploration" writer), since I actually have no idea what happens in between those scenes. (I know my characters have goals, and I know some of them will complete those goals. I just don't know how.)

I just...uh, stuck those scenes in like...uh, the weirdly infrequent warp threads in a cloth, and then I fill in the space between those definite scenes with....weft threads of unplanned colors. Yeah.

Hmm. Looks interesting, I'll definitely try tomorrow. Been wanting to move forward since a while, anyways.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
Eek! I went to my first write-in today! It was non-disastrous, which is good, and I got more than 1000 words written, which I needed. It was so fun!

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Nimphy

« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2014, 03:29:44 AM »
Eek! I went to my first write-in today! It was non-disastrous, which is good, and I got more than 1000 words written, which I needed. It was so fun!

Write-ins are great, aren't they? wWord wars are probably my favorite part: I averagely write 500 words during one of them (the ones I've done usually last 15 minutes). That means that in an hour I can reach (and go over) my daily goal, whereas it normally takes me three hours to do so... And it's not nearly as fun as sharing your count and worries and joys together with other writers :D

Fenris

« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2014, 04:42:17 AM »
Well, just got two thousand words in about an hour (meaning my total is about 3.6k words). Got today entirely off, so hopefully I will be able to catch up today. Got prologue and the first chapter done, so at least I'm soon getting to the point where the plot actually begins.