Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141077 times)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #870 on: November 11, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Nano had a rough start for me, I was hopping from one project to another and I don't know if that's going to stop this month.  Oh well, I'm working on planning Tristan's story, not really writing it.  So I'm totally a nano rebel this year.  But it's so much nicer to be able to write 2k words in one day rather than a few hundred, or less.  Narrative isn't flowing for me right now.  Something will click at some point, at least.

Laufey: Jonathan is dead but running around...I'm curious as to how he is not quite completely dead...And the house sounds very spooky and creepy.  "Yes, there are magical rooms in here that will give you everything you want!  But you can never leave...."
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #871 on: November 11, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
NaNo's been...interesting so far for me. While I've liked that I've (finally) got some worldbuilding, characterization, and general planning done, I've also found that, like last year, my writing time is taking up the time I normally use for art.

My writing's been really fragmented so far since I've been jumping around between story and world. As of right now (still need another thousand words for today...) I've written:

- five character bios
- five summary bios
- a description of a magic system
- a half-hearted attempt at organizing said magic system into a chart
- a description of naming conventions
- two different takes on the meeting between two characters
- two different takes on the meeting between another two characters
- two scripts for the beginnings of both pairs of main characters' journeys
- a really long list of questions about what the characters are hiding from each other
- a list of suspicions, secrets, and what the characters think about each other
- the beginnings of a Plot
- three entries in an in-world herbal

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #872 on: November 11, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »
Write-in #2 went well! And I looked over the stuff I wrote at the last one, and it turns out that it's Not Awful. This is good!

Today I: Finished exchange fic #2, worked on a long-neglected WIP, and started working on my fic for the Advent Calendar.

... Kiiiinda' feel like my hands are going to fall off. x_x Because in addition to a lot of handwriting, I had to type up all those pages now that the draft is done. It... was a lot of pages.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #873 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »
So it's been a while since I gave an update. So here we go!

Welp, Gilbert has just had a very close brush with death, and somehow it was Lalli that saved him. Maybe he convinced the overworked swan out of it? Anyway, Sigrun now likes him, as he almost died trying to protect her and Emil from a Troll. And Tuuri almost cried, Reynir was kept out of the area, and hopefully has no clue what exactly is going on. Emil is probably stuck with Reynir, or sulking over the possible death that could have happened. All-in-all everything is going well, except my plot plan is well a scattered dream. *sighs* so I think I have earned the 'pantser' badge now.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #874 on: November 12, 2015, 02:17:48 AM »
Laufey: Jonathan is dead but running around...I'm curious as to how he is not quite completely dead...And the house sounds very spooky and creepy.  "Yes, there are magical rooms in here that will give you everything you want!  But you can never leave...."

The best thing is that since this whole story is based on Icelandic mythology, there's a kinda sorta logical explanation to everything... but only if you know the lore behind, and few of my characters do. :D You're right about the house - or its owner more like - doing exactly that, but it's not going to stop there. And it's definitely not willing to let anyone leave, ever.

Current stats of people, or the ones that changed yesterday:
Spoiler: show

Anne: dead.
Timo: alive, in love.
Elena: alive, in full battle mode.
Gita: alive, having dinner.
Chris: alive, in love.
Harry: alive, in love.
Leah: confirmed alive, heading into a maze alone and has decided against marking her path.

Notable things: the house doesn't give Leah the same treatment as for the others for some reason, she doesn't get things by just asking for them and what she does get falls somehow below standards. I have two characters locked in a panic room to avoid whatever it was that got to Anne, they're currently the only ones that have found a front door again so it's kind of sad that they can't get to it.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #875 on: November 12, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »
The best thing is that since this whole story is based on Icelandic mythology, there's a kinda sorta logical explanation to everything... but only if you know the lore behind, and few of my characters do. :D You're right about the house - or its owner more like - doing exactly that, but it's not going to stop there. And it's definitely not willing to let anyone leave, ever.

Current stats of people, or the ones that changed yesterday:

Anne: dead.
Timo: alive, in love.
Elena: alive, in full battle mode.
Gita: alive, having dinner.
Chris: alive, in love.
Harry: alive, in love.
Leah: confirmed alive, heading into a maze alone and has decided against marking her path.

Notable things: the house doesn't give Leah the same treatment as for the others for some reason, she doesn't get things by just asking for them and what she does get falls somehow below standards. I have two characters locked in a panic room to avoid whatever it was that got to Anne, they're currently the only ones that have found a front door again so it's kind of sad that they can't get to it.
So much love for your characters, Laufey. (Oh, and one death, yes, too.) I'm wondering how much the house is playing with its... preys ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #876 on: November 14, 2015, 03:40:19 AM »
Laufey: The magic and folklore sounds really intriguing, but I have a feeling your book would be too tense for me to read.  Sure, it sounds fun to lock a bunch of characters into a haunted house, but...then they're locked into a haunted house and they are DOOOOOOOOOMED::)

As for my Nano news, I'm finally past 16,000 words and I'm hoping to catch up as we reach the midway point.  And I'm feeling doomed to always being a Nano Rebel forever because I seem incapable of writing real novels and only capable of writing plans for graphic novels.

Spoiler: Status update on my one consistent story this November • show
Tristan and Dhelran are both little boys who have just met each other, and they've come to an orphanage because they were hungry.  Because of this, official mages have learned about Tristan's strange magical ability, and they want to meet him.  Oh, and they had to fight off some badguys when they first met.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #877 on: November 14, 2015, 04:49:08 AM »
Laufey: The magic and folklore sounds really intriguing, but I have a feeling your book would be too tense for me to read.  Sure, it sounds fun to lock a bunch of characters into a haunted house, but...then they're locked into a haunted house and they are DOOOOOOOOOMED::)

Don't worry, I totally understand horror is not everyone's cup of tea! Just a note that while not every character may be DOOOOOOOOOMED most of them indeed are, Icelandic mythology is not very kind. :-\

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #878 on: November 14, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
Double-posting but here's where we're going at the moment:

Agata: dead. Strangely enough it would seem she's been dead for a few centuries despite being very much alive just the same morning.

Inge: Most accurate info would be "alive but check again in about one second's time". Falling.

Hugrún: was attacked, massive damage to one ankle.

Guðrún: was attacked, now in full battle mode.

Mélusine

« Reply #879 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:42 AM »
Laufey, I don't know if you're fully aware of this, but we're SO CURIOUS now ! :D

My aim is to reach 46666 words today. It must be possible. In theory. If I start writing.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #880 on: November 14, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Laufey, I don't know if you're fully aware of this, but we're SO CURIOUS now ! :D

My aim is to reach 46666 words today. It must be possible. In theory. If I start writing.

I had also been somewhat optimistically hoping to get a lot of writing done today, but for now it seems I'll be stuck writing papers instead.

Mélusine

« Reply #881 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
I had also been somewhat optimistically hoping to get a lot of writing done today, but for now it seems I'll be stuck writing papers instead.
I'm good for nothing today :/ I'll try. Later. Maybe in an hour or two...

Edit. Yep. It was a bad day -__- Tomorrow's aim will be a little more complicated.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:03:38 PM by Mélusine »

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #882 on: November 14, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »

Wow, your word count goal is twice what mine is! I'm at 21,565 now and I'd like to do another 1-2k today.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Mélusine

« Reply #883 on: November 14, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Wow, your word count goal is twice what mine is! I'm at 21,565 now and I'd like to do another 1-2k today.
Too long story, so I'm doing twice the normal NaNo aim. Or should do. Today was a failure not as good as what I expected not very productive not a day for writing.
You're not too far from your goal ! You can do it ! :D

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #884 on: November 14, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »
Write-in #3 was very productive! Haven't counted up my results yet, but it's looking like it'll be 1.5k, which is excellent as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I was looking over some poetry I wrote near the beginning of the month, and it isn't as terrible as I had feared! I'm very happy about this. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge