Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141106 times)

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #810 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:29 PM »
Current story-status: One of the main characters once again jumped off the plot and is currently moving in the wrong direction. While the others are moving in the right direction they will still have to wait for her somewhere because otherwise the plot can't go on.
Dear characters, why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

Also, I have reached a word count of 13,000 words, thanks to the beautiful sheet that was linked earlier in the thread <3
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #811 on: November 04, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
Also, I have reached a word count of 13,000 words, thanks to the beautiful sheet that was linked earlier in the thread <3
HA ! I'm not the only one to have... errr, more words than what is expected ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #812 on: November 04, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »
Hahah the feeling when your characters won't do what you want them to do... it's a bit daunting when I've got the story planned and outlined and all of a sudden someone just isn't playing along. Occasionally it's possible to just ignore that and head on but I've also found that more often than not, going by the gut feeling may end up better than the original plan so because of that and because this is NaNo I'd say go for it, just let them do their thing. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #813 on: November 04, 2015, 06:30:03 PM »
Actually I always let my characters do their thing, more fun that way! And most of the time the result is really awesome.
Proof: Just about every story I've published on the interwebs!

Why yes, I'm a really humble person, why would you think otherwise? 0=)
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #814 on: November 04, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
Welp the cast is now together! (etc)

Disappearing doors... oh dear. *_* (Will you be doing anything with this story when it's finished? And by that I mean posting it where I can read it.)

I haven't done any writing yet today. u_u But we will see.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #815 on: November 04, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »
Letting the characters do their own thing is awesome! I find that when I get frustrated with a character's actions, I usually look back later and love the result  ;D

Meanwhile, I'm doing something very odd with mine - it's a series of short stories telling the tale of the hero from an outside perspective, through journals, radio, military dispatches, exposition by the big bad... it's kinda fun  :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #816 on: November 04, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm doing something very odd with mine - it's a series of short stories telling the tale of the hero from an outside perspective, through journals, radio, military dispatches, exposition by the big bad... it's kinda fun  :P

!!! That sounds awesome. It also sounds difficult. Are you finding it more of a challenge than a more straightforward narrative?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #817 on: November 04, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »
Disappearing doors... oh dear. *_* (Will you be doing anything with this story when it's finished? And by that I mean posting it where I can read it.)

I haven't thought about that yet to be honest, most of my NaNo projects just end up being quietly buried when I can't be bothered to edit them... but I guess I could try to better my ways this time. :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #818 on: November 04, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
!!! That sounds awesome. It also sounds difficult. Are you finding it more of a challenge than a more straightforward narrative?

Actually, I'm finding it a ton easier than all my previous attempts to tell this guy's story - I could never nail his personality, and a story about a guy who is alone 75% of the time is hard to make interesting. Also it helps prevent me from getting bored - if I'm tired of a particular setting or group of characters, I can switch to another perspective and style pretty easily :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #819 on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
I haven't thought about that yet to be honest, most of my NaNo projects just end up being quietly buried when I can't be bothered to edit them... but I guess I could try to better my ways this time. :P

Yes you will have to not bury it. Our sanity depends on it. *nods convincingly*

Also the idea of the house reminds me a bit of Ég man þig by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir.

I think I will start writing, after I finish the httyd drawings for the art museum, then I shall start writing something at least (if I am not first consumed by essays).
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #820 on: November 04, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

That sounds really neat! I'm also really interested in different or outside perspectives, and I think last year some of my chapters were told from the point of view of a not-so-random shopkeeper, collectively all the birds in the area, and one or two pseudo-poem-fairy-tale things.

Meanwhile, I'm gearing up to try to write 4000 words between now and the end of today. (Preferably more, since I'll be out all weekend...)

This would also probably be easier if I had not just written a lot of school-related stuff, but oh well.

Progress update #1: I just realized that creating a three-variable magic system is going to require either a lot of book-keeping or just a lot of willingness to make things up on the fly/ignore internal consistency. Maybe that wasn't the best idea...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:04:07 PM by mithrysc »

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #821 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
To everyone: you can do it! I have faith in you!

Today on NaNo adventures: Gilbert has officially met Mikkel, Sigrun, and Lalli. Sigrun is annoyed at yet another 'useless' mouth to feed, while Mikkel thinks that Gilbert could be very useful, once they've figured out how to communicate. Lalli's thoughts are meh, new person, I'm going to sleep now.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #822 on: November 04, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
Welp the cast is now together!

Spoiler: show
Chris: wanted to travel to Akureyri by bike so what on earth is he doing in the Westfjords? Accidentally insulting people, that's what.
Stats: alive and mortified.

Harry: says he's also traveling in Iceland. Second best pokerface of the story.
Stats: alive, annoyed.

Pyry: likes to "follow fate" and considers getting lost a part of said fate, the first character of the story who doesn't mind the weather being awful at all.
Stats: alive and content.

The whole cast has now entered the building and is reacting to its weird wish-fulfilling capability differently (Anne and Timo are gleefully helping themselves to anything they find, Leah barricades herself in a room, Inge has found dry socks and doesn't ask for more, Hugrún and Agata are going happily crazy, Guðrún would still rather be in the car, Jonathan is angrily confused and Elena finds the whole situation hilarious) so it's time to make all of the doors leading outside disappear and ring the bell - the game begins.

Oh gosh...Inge is totally my favorite. (Is it weird that I have a favorite from your brief descriptions?) But seriously, dry socks are amazing.

Whoa, that's impressive! And now I have to go back through and look for this sheet you mentioned, because I have a cobbled-together spreadsheet so I can sort of keep track of my word count (because I'm subtracting the words I had already written pre-November). It's working, but it's not pretty.

I've managed 621 words so far today, which isn't bad considering they were all squeezed in before or during work. Now that I'm home and stuffed with Pad Thai, hopefully I can get in another 1000 or so.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #823 on: November 05, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »
Okay, I got my words in for today (technically yesterday...I need to go to bed!) so I indulged myself and wrote little character status things. Since I'm actually near the end of my story there's a lot that isn't mentioned, but hopefully they make sense.

Spoiler: show

Setting:The Weeping Caves. Not a place anyone wants to be, but here we are.

Gair: Usually The Level-Headed One, But Not Today.
In the past 12 hours, he has gotten into a fist fight, argued with his father, and run off to the most dangerous cave on the island to save his amnesiac friend. Only, it turns out his amnesiac friend isn’t there, just his angry cousin. Why do girls have to wear such similar boots? Now he’s been kidnapped by a creepy lady covered in sea urchins. Also, the sea is talking to him. But that’s nothing new.
Status: Alive with a few scrapes and bruises. Tied up with some kind of lichen.

Breet: The Angry Cousin.
Lives on an island infested with odd little creatures called sprites, who can talk to her. She wishes they would stop trying to talk to her. As if her day needed to get worse, a shadow dragged her into a cave and people keep confronting her to make her talk about her feelings. Except amnesia girl, who wants to fight. Now she’s been kidnapped by a crying ghost.
Status: Alive with some scratches and bruises. Not tied up but might prefer that to talking.

Citra: The Amnesiac Friend.
Half the people she meets think she’s an evil sea-dwelling creature. The other half are shadows, who keep talking to her even though that shouldn’t be possible. In the past 12 hours, she has broken someone’s nose with her forehead, run away and gotten lost in the woods, and let a shadow convince her to go into a creepy cave. Now that same shadow (who is yet another cousin, presumed dead) is telling her she’s from another world altogether.
Status: Alive, confused. Probably also has bumps and bruises.

Curlew: The Other Cousin, Presumed Dead But Actually A Shadow.
Never intended to be a shadow. Or dead. Feels badly about it, but has more important things to worry about.
Status: Probably not alive, but not precisely dead. It's complicated.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #824 on: November 05, 2015, 03:43:41 AM »
Weeeeellllll...I wrote a whopping FIVE words yesterday!  And that was just because I was still writing past midnight so I had a little more to add.  But since then, nothing.  I'm not sure what I need to do to get this story rolling.  I really need to catch up, eep!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.