Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141066 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #675 on: September 20, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Hm. I'm debating whether or not it'll be a good idea to try again this year, especially since I can expect a pretty heavy writing workload already from classes.

Oh well, another month and a half to decide. For convenience's sake my username over there is Reniath.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #676 on: September 23, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
I'm also still not sure if I'll take part again. On the one hand, I won't have much time and my novel from last year is still unedited sitting in a dark cupboard and crying because I don't take care of it. On the other hand, it was so much fun last year and I have a tiny collection of weird ideas... so we'll see. My NaNo name is Nalanna if I remember correctly, if you want to add me.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #677 on: September 23, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
I'm also still not sure if I'll take part again. On the one hand, I won't have much time and my novel from last year is still unedited sitting in a dark cupboard and crying because I don't take care of it. On the other hand, it was so much fun last year and I have a tiny collection of weird ideas... so we'll see. My NaNo name is Nalanna if I remember correctly, if you want to add me.
Come with us ! :D It will be funny ! Doing it with several persons brings you the envy to write more :) And my novel from last years need some re-writing parts which hadn't be re-written yet too for *Coughs* reasons.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #678 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:51 PM »
I would so love to do this, but I can't see it happening right now.
I am already writing almost every day for Shared Story, but Oh...
We shall see.
When does it start?
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Mélusine

« Reply #679 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
I would so love to do this, but I can't see it happening right now.
I am already writing almost every day for Shared Story, but Oh...
We shall see.
When does it start?
It's all November :) Everybody is welcome !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #680 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
Come with us ! :D It will be funny ! Doing it with several persons brings you the envy to write more :) And my novel from last years need some re-writing parts which hadn't be re-written yet too for *Coughs* reasons.

I personally think that everybody everywhere should do NaNoWriMo. The month of November should be internationally dedicated to writing.
and the only reason I write is to beat everybody.
and my novel from 3 years ago still needs to be about 75% rewritten.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #681 on: September 23, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
Okayyy... To motivate myself, I've added all of you I could find. I'm really impressed by those who have been doing NaNo for several years in a row!
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #682 on: September 23, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
and the only reason I write is to beat everybody.
Last year the friend who had made me try my first NaNo won her the 10th with a first day with more than 8000 words...

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
I think I've decided that I will take part this year even though it's probably a bad idea.

..and my novel from last year will not be edited. It was a monstrosity of a thing with medieval technology, magic that turns people into not-werewolves, kids who dream of being rock stars, a little town in the middle of nowhere with an economy based solely on tourism, an animal rebellion against a music store, flying rats, and a group bordering on secret-society-hood. It was an interesting thing to write, but not worth trying to salvage.
Particularly since pieces of it are scattered around in just about every possible medium and quite possibly lost by now. :)

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #684 on: September 26, 2015, 12:02:42 AM »
I think I've decided that I will take part this year even though it's probably a bad idea.

..and my novel from last year will not be edited. It was a monstrosity of a thing with medieval technology, magic that turns people into not-werewolves, kids who dream of being rock stars, a little town in the middle of nowhere with an economy based solely on tourism, an animal rebellion against a music store, flying rats, and a group bordering on secret-society-hood. It was an interesting thing to write, but not worth trying to salvage.
Particularly since pieces of it are scattered around in just about every possible medium and quite possibly lost by now. :)

Added you! :)

I totally know what you mean about your novel not being worthy of salvaging. I've learned so much about writing in the past couple of years, and that makes it glaringly obvious just how useless it is to try to make the trash I've written before worth it. But I'm okay with it. NaNoWriMo is always good fun, and it does help me get into better writing habits.

(That said, your novel from last year does sound really interesting to write and very interesting to try to explain. It kind of sounds like a NaNoWriMo pep talk, actually: "Have you always wanted to write a novel with magic that turns people into not-werewolves, kids who dream of being rock stars, an animal rebellion against a music store, flying rats, and a group bordering on secret-society-hood?? Now you have an excuse! PARTICIPATE IN NANOWRIMO!!" At any rate, it sounds pretty zany and like a pretty exciting writing adventure.)

Also... I'm not quite sure if I'll ever finish my 2012 novel (which is the only one I've ever considered editing). Sometimes I'm sure I'll do it, and sometimes I'm sure I won't. At any rate, it's going to have to be completely rewritten again, this time with an almost entirely different cast and almost the entire middle of the story changed completely. It's pretty confusing to explain, but perhaps it is less so in comparison to yours. :D
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
Added you! :)

I totally know what you mean about your novel not being worthy of salvaging. I've learned so much about writing in the past couple of years, and that makes it glaringly obvious just how useless it is to try to make the trash I've written before worth it. But I'm okay with it. NaNoWriMo is always good fun, and it does help me get into better writing habits.

(That said, your novel from last year does sound really interesting to write and very interesting to try to explain. It kind of sounds like a NaNoWriMo pep talk, actually: "Have you always wanted to write a novel with magic that turns people into not-werewolves, kids who dream of being rock stars, an animal rebellion against a music store, flying rats, and a group bordering on secret-society-hood?? Now you have an excuse! PARTICIPATE IN NANOWRIMO!!" At any rate, it sounds pretty zany and like a pretty exciting writing adventure.)

Also... I'm not quite sure if I'll ever finish my 2012 novel (which is the only one I've ever considered editing). Sometimes I'm sure I'll do it, and sometimes I'm sure I won't. At any rate, it's going to have to be completely rewritten again, this time with an almost entirely different cast and almost the entire middle of the story changed completely. It's pretty confusing to explain, but perhaps it is less so in comparison to yours. :D

No, that makes sense. Editing almost always turns into something like that even when the thing being edited isn't very long.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #686 on: September 26, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
I was at a reading from Cornelia Funke yesterday - I don't know how well-known she is outside of Germany, she writes fantasy and humorous books for children and young adults. There was also an opportunity to ask her questions, so I wanted to know how she is coping with writer blocks. She said she would go for a walk and then just write an alternative scene, and that she sometimes needs up to 14 rewrites to find the final version.
So even the professionals need to edit again and again and again... :)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #687 on: September 26, 2015, 07:28:28 PM »
Eeee!  I have exciting writerly news! I still have no idea what I'm going to write for NaNo, but I'm starting to get through my writer's block by writing about writing.

And I feel like I'm going to end up writing a book's worth of stuff about writing by the time NaNo comes, so I started a little blog about it.  It's basically about organizing stories so it's possible to write them (at least with the way my mind works), so I'm getting excited!  And I wrote a list of stories I have (that I could think of) and the tally came to 71 (everything from short stories to whole series, and vague ideas to well-developed ones).  And I'm a very indecisive person.  Cue trouble writing. 

So, I'm just trying to figure out how to become an organized writer and that's why I'm writing non-fiction on fiction (probably the only non-fiction I want to do right now).  Hopefully I will be ready for November because of it.  You can check out my blog if this sounds interesting. 

*Is excited at being able to write again*
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
I was at a reading from Cornelia Funke yesterday - I don't know how well-known she is outside of Germany, she writes fantasy and humorous books for children and young adults. There was also an opportunity to ask her questions, so I wanted to know how she is coping with writer blocks. She said she would go for a walk and then just write an alternative scene, and that she sometimes needs up to 14 rewrites to find the final version.
So even the professionals need to edit again and again and again... :)

Is she the one who wrote those Inkheart books?
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Mélusine

« Reply #689 on: September 27, 2015, 04:34:19 AM »
And I wrote a list of stories I have (that I could think of) and the tally came to 71 (everything from short stories to whole series, and vague ideas to well-developed ones).
... *Goes back to curl herself up in a ball in the shadows*