Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141103 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
I am always ThisCat.

I hope I can at least update some time before midnight, or else I'll have a bunch of words on the wrong day...

There's an option to edit word count by day if you go under My Novels > Stats, if that doesn't happen.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Happily my wordcount says 350 now. If I get to write on later maybe I will hit the 1000 before the day is over :). It's easier than I thought.

Yes, I'm writing as kex, so I will search for you guys.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
The gibberish in my exerpt is getting seriously annoying. Why is it there?
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
My compliments, Cat
Your word count's incredible
Now get back and write!

Hehe... just asking you people a thing I'm really unsure about. If dragons are a main species in my story, and the relationships between them and the protagonists are really deep, would it still make sense for them to be mute? Because I really don't know whether they should speak or not...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2014, 05:10:40 PM »
Hehe... just asking you people a thing I'm really unsure about. If dragons are a main species in my story, and the relationships between them and the protagonists are really deep, would it still make sense for them to be mute? Because I really don't know whether they should speak or not...

Well...cats can't talk. :P And anyway, deep relationships can still work without verbal communication. Would it make sense in the story-world for them to be able to talk? (or actually wait maybe that's what you're asking...)

Are the dragons people-level sentient, or more animal-level?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:13:59 PM by mithrysc »

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
My compliments, Cat
Now get back and write!

If you can manage to write them mute I think it could be very interesting. See what feels more right for you.
 Mostly quiet.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
And anyway, deep relationships can still work without verbal communication.
Aye. And even if the plot were to require them to cooperate with members of another species, there would be other forms communication. (Maybe not with quill and parchment the relative size of postage stamps, though. ;) )

Cooperation with humans in a combat situation would be a different matter, however. There's a definitive speed advantage in thundering "behind you!" at one of those in his native tongue.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
If you can manage to write them mute I think it could be very interesting. See what feels more right for you.
Well...cats can't talk. :P And anyway, deep relationships can still work without verbal communication. Would it make sense in the story-world for them to be able to talk? (or actually wait maybe that's what you're asking...)

Are the dragons people-level sentient, or more animal-level?
Aye. And even if the plot were to require them to cooperate with members of another species, there would be other forms communication. (Maybe not with quill and parchment the relative size of postage stamps, though. ;) )

Cooperation with humans in a combat situation would be a different matter, however. There's a definitive speed advantage in thundering "behind you!" at one of those in his native tongue.

You people make wonderful points, and truth be told I was also leaning in that direction. Although hollering "Behind you!!" is indeed useful  ;D

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
My compliments, Cat
Now get back and write!

In one of Terry Pratchetts books the dragons communicated via telepathy and it worked fine. It was one of the rincewind series the first or second traveling with the luggage and Twoflower.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
Well, the first day's gone by and I've met my goal, but I have a tiny bit of a problem. More of a dilemma really. Do I want to write the entire thing from the point of view of only one character, or do I want to switch back and forth. Should I tell the MC the other person's secrets before he gets to know them, should I start svitching POV later on in the novel? Should I maybe have a paragraph or two from the villain's POV? So many questions...
 Mostly quiet.

Nimphy

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Well, the first day's gone by and I've met my goal, but I have a tiny bit of a problem. More of a dilemma really. Do I want to write the entire thing from the point of view of only one character, or do I want to switch back and forth. Should I tell the MC the other person's secrets before he gets to know them, should I start svitching POV later on in the novel? Should I maybe have a paragraph or two from the villain's POV? So many questions...

Are there two MC's? If yes, then switch between them immediately. Get the reader used to it. Is the book aimed at creating an atmosphere of mystery? Then keep consistence until there is no mystery to be revealed. Do you want the reader to know, because hiding stuff from your MC is easy, hiding it from your reader is not. Consider carefully. That said, I love books with switching POV, and they're fun and really stimulating to write. It's tricky, but very useful and entertaining.

Having the villain narrate a scene is always a bad idea, but if you plan to redeem him later on, then it may not be so horrible. Still, I advise against.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
In one of Terry Pratchetts books the dragons communicated via telepathy and it worked fine.
I think the telepathic breed of dragons managed to spread to two books by now. [Sound of an irony detector undergoing matter-antimatter-annihilation in the next state over] One of these days, we'll likely read of telekinetic dragons whose human companions relay their messages against their own will. 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
Are there two MC's? If yes, then switch between them immediately. Get the reader used to it. Is the book aimed at creating an atmosphere of mystery? Then keep consistence until there is no mystery to be revealed. Do you want the reader to know, because hiding stuff from your MC is easy, hiding it from your reader is not. Consider carefully. That said, I love books with switching POV, and they're fun and really stimulating to write. It's tricky, but very useful and entertaining.

Having the villain narrate a scene is always a bad idea, but if you plan to redeem him later on, then it may not be so horrible. Still, I advise against.

Thanks for tips.
It's not like he would narrate it though, I write in third person, it would just be a few mysterious lines hinting at the upcoming conflict or something.
 Mostly quiet.

Nimphy

« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
Thanks for tips.
It's not like he would narrate it though, I write in third person, it would just be a few mysterious lines hinting at the upcoming conflict or something.

Ah, third person! As long as the villain doesn't reveal his master plan to us before the hero gets to know in in the Villany Monologue Scene, it should be fine.

Faust

« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
My dragons need time with a person to sync with a person before telepathy with them works.

I have seen paragraphs from the protags POV done well, though I just went full out recently to start with dual MCs. I work weirdly with multiple books in progress switching to write another when I need time to think more on the one I am doing. I am currently working on four books out of twenty approximately in the series. None yet are finished.