Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141062 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
I had several "small" ideas which would never have been enough for a whole story, but last I had a very inspiring dream and settled on one of the main ideas. But I'm still in doubt if it is a good idea to write a novel about a region (fictious, but based on a real-life counterpart) I've never been to. Or been even close. (To be more precise: South America). Well, I guess I'll have to make it all up.   :D
I've never done NaNoWriMo before so I don't know how much planning will be helpful, but I think I'll try a small storyboard in the next days and some character descriptions.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
Yay! All signed up!

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
I actually have a real idea "ready." I have a beggining and an end for once (it will make all the difference). I even have several plot points mapped out - a stunning improvement from last month when I last tried to write something. I'm trying something different from what I normally do by using first person with four narrators. In the past I've stuck with third person. This might end up being a mistake. Oh, and my favorite character is the one I know the least about.

Yay! All signed up!
I can't find you!

Has anyone here done NaNoWriMo before, or are we all first timers?

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
I actually have a real idea "ready." I have a beggining and an end for once (it will make all the difference). I even have several plot points mapped out - a stunning improvement from last month when I last tried to write something. I'm trying something different from what I normally do by using first person with four narrators. In the past I've stuck with third person. This might end up being a mistake. Oh, and my favorite character is the one I know the least about.
I can't find you!

Has anyone here done NaNoWriMo before, or are we all first timers?
Which Nanowrimo did you signed up for? The regular adult's event, or the youth program? (Probably the regular one since most of you guys signed up on that site)

And this is my first time.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
Which Nanowrimo did you signed up for? The regular adult's event, or the youth program? (Probably the regular one since most of you guys signed up on that site)

And this is my first time.

I'm on the regular one and it is my first time.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
I'm on the regular one and it is my first time.

Same here.

Yay! Both the planning part and the trying something new, that is. Though this just reminds me that I need to organize my bunch of floating ideas (read: beginnings and parts of middles and unattached ends). Actually, I need to pick one of them first...

So...does anyone want to be brave and share their general story concepts?  :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:10:47 PM by mithrysc »

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Same here.

Yay! Both the planning part and the trying something new, that is. Though this just reminds me that I need to organize my bunch of floating ideas (read: beginnings and parts of middles and unattached ends). Actually, I need to pick one of them first...

Just make sure you have some sort of ending in mind when you start - you can always change it later. My problem whenever I try to write anything I get a good way in, realize I don't know where the writing is going, try to puzzle it out, and end up losing intrest.
General story concept? Um, there's some kind of shop that does a lot of strange things and a costume party and wolves. Originally there was going to be an evil imaginary friend but I think I'm going to take that out. I know where I want the story to go, see, but I'm not certain how to get there.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »
I can't find you!

Ah...my mother is internet-paranoid and doesn't really want me connecting my internet friends with myself, and stuff like that. So, no NaNo buddies for me. :(  But rest assured, my username is suitably witty and word-play-ish.

So, my planned story is a sword-and-sorcery thing, and it has cool stuff like poison and magic rocks and a talking castle. Quite honestly, the central premise of it came from a dream I had, so...we'll see how it goes.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 12:58:54 AM »
Talking castles... I'm liking it already!

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »

Uh, magic-ish world where some people get in trouble for having valuable blood. I am appearantly entirely incapable of writing magic without strict rules that limit very much what you can do with it. I'm trying to fix that.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
Uh, magic-ish world where some people get in trouble for having valuable blood. I am appearantly entirely incapable of writing magic without strict rules that limit very much what you can do with it. I'm trying to fix that.

That might not necessarily be a bad thing, unless you were really going for the opposite. Reminds me of a discussion on writing magic systems from Brandon Sanderson's Write About Dragons (I'm preeetty sure the videos that addressed that are the two about magic and satisfying resolutions, but it's been a while), and the two "opposites" were magic being a sort of science with lots of rules and laws, or magic being more...just magical and unexplained.

I should also answer my own question. I've pinned down my ideas a little more, and so as of now the story involves a sentient city, a girl who is the city's confidant, and...a bird.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
I'm not sure yet if I will take part in NaNoWriMo this year, because school is so hectic right now. But I have at least one idea for my novel. I would write about royal family in kind of Skyrim-esque land that has been isolated from rest of the world. New king wants to open the borders, but not everybody is that happy with the idea.  One of the main points of the story would be that only this kingdom has magic, the rest of the world is like real world. :D

Has anybody else that problem that they go over 50 000 words, but never finish the novel? I've have participated two times and I have not finished those stories yet.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
That might not necessarily be a bad thing, unless you were really going for the opposite. Reminds me of a discussion on writing magic systems from Brandon Sanderson's Write About Dragons (I'm preeetty sure the videos that addressed that are the two about magic and satisfying resolutions, but it's been a while), and the two "opposites" were magic being a sort of science with lots of rules and laws, or magic being more...just magical and unexplained.

I know it's not necessarily bad, but I want to write about dragons and magic kingdoms and ridiculously powerful badasses, and my brain's like: "that's not realiiissstic" and I'm like: "why does it have to be realistic?" and my brain just goes: "that could never work because of phyyysiiicsss" and I'm like: "But I don't know physics all that well!" and my brain's like: "go read about quantum mechaaaaniiicssss." and I'm like: "then it's not magic anymore! That's just another kind of energy!" and my brain just kind of goes: "exaaactlyyyyy" and dissappears in an annoying, scientific whisper.

So, yeah. My own brain tends to prevent me from writing about dragons even though dragons are crazy awesome.
 Mostly quiet.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »
My own brain tends to prevent me from writing about dragons even though dragons are crazy awesome.
Mr. Fire-Breathing Dragon would like to have a quick chat with your brain. ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Mr. Fire-Breathing Dragon would like to have a quick chat with your brain. ;D

;D Luckily, it doesn't prevent me from drawing them. Though, please tell mister Fire-Breathing Dragon to leave my brain mostly intact, as I need it for calculus.
 Mostly quiet.