Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141116 times)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1035 on: October 23, 2016, 02:05:13 AM »
It feels like all the cool stories have already been told and I just don't know what would hold my attention enough to write it, polish it, and share it with others (and also what would hold THEIR attention enough to read it, of course). I don't want to create a masterpiece, I just want to write something worthwhile for me and others. Short of fanfiction (which always is appreciated for obvious reasons), how do you writer types come up with ideas and know which ones are good enough to develop?

*Crumples into a corner wailing about how I don't have the skills to make my most interesting stories, and all my stories that I have the skills too make are boring*

Cartoony imagery and writerly-existential crisis aside, original or cool ideas do still come, but it takes awhile to sort them out, but they're easier to find when you really focus in on your niche interests, themes, or anything that really matters to you.  A narrow scope makes it more distinctive.  (Then it's fun to take two very different narrow scopes and make them cross paths!)

If you're worried about getting tied down to a whole novel that you might not like, you could be a nano rebel and write a collection of short stories with completely different elements to see what clicks with you.  5 10k word stories, or a 25k word novella and a bunch of short stories.  Better start with the short stories and maybe you'll suddenly find yourself turning it into a full-blown novel!

Dang, I'm getting ideas now!  Woot!  Let things bounce around in your head and go with whatever resonates with your core.

Have a good NaNo, everybody!  WHEE!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1036 on: October 23, 2016, 04:35:21 AM »
how do you writer types come up with ideas and know which ones are good enough to develop?
The ones which stay in mind, despite being blurred, despite the fact that you would need a lot of other informations, are the ones which are "good enough to develop" for me. If I still think to this fragment of scene I "saw" at a moment, days/weeks/months ago, then I should pay more attention into it. But it's only how it works for me, and I fear it won't be very helpful :/
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1037 on: October 23, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »
For me, I start with one single idea. A facet of the setting, a major plot point, a defining characteristic of someone. Then I try to build around that and see what other ideas come for plot, setting, characters, etc. When I have enough pieces to start things moving, then I start writing. But I allow myself to change the story if it allows things to go smoother or makes more sense, or opens up new paths for the story.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1038 on: October 23, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
Thank you Jethan, Mélusine and Keeper! All good tips and starting points. I'll try to put them to good use!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1039 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
Sc0ut, I'm not doing the NaNo, not enough time and an erratic schedule not completely under my own control (as in, I may find myself suddenly at any time having to hare off to the Mid-North to stand in for somebody else who has had his own schedule disrupted - I'm sure you know the saying about life being what happens while you are making other plans). However, I wanted to weigh in on the discussion about writing.

As I've probably mentioned, most of what I have ever had actually published or broadcast has been poetry, how-to articles, or technical articles, plus some science-fiction short stories which were more about the ideas than the characters. While I have written a lot, I didn't actually write much fiction at all until I discovered this comic, the Minnions, and by extension, fanfiction, which provides a medium within the limitations of which stories may be constructed. The best advice I ever had on writing was that you should write what you must: when characters, or a tale, turn up in your head and demand to be written, then you have something worth doing. The other piece of excellent advice was: the way to become a writer is to write. It doesn't matter what you write, just that you practice and develop the writing skill. Words are your tools with which to practise the art of storytelling. You may even find that fanfiction is a good intermediate stage - it gives practice without having to first create characters from the whole cloth.

Finally, a bit of advice of my own: when you write something, leave it for a few days, then come back to it. Mistakes and infelicities will be more obvious after the gap. Also, read it aloud. That way you can spot flaws in storytelling technique and bits of dialogue that don't flow naturally. And if your writing turns out anywhere near as good as your art, we will all be the richer for it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #1040 on: October 25, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
Anyone else have extra big plans for NaNo?  This year I want to try writing 75k words!  I'm planning on writing a webcomic script first, which I'm arbitrarily guessing will be 30k words, I doubt it will get to 50k, so I want a secondary novel project and I don't want it to be a teeny-tiny start with 20k or less words.  I don't know what the novel will be, I may end up pantsing it a bit, I have to get the script outline done first, anyway.

This all means I will have to write 2500 words a day!  Eek!  But I like the idea of two large projects, so, yay!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1041 on: October 25, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »
 Haha, I'm planning on taking it slow for this one, actually.  Since it's my first, and I have a research paper due right after Thanksgiving, I'm aiming for a tentative 20K. But I am determined to write something for my novel every day!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1042 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Aaaaahhhhh I just realized that I only have 10k to go before I meet my goal for the entire year. I WONDER, can I do that much in one month?!

Looks like I know what my rebellious NaNo goal is, then. : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Valerre

• pronounced Va-lair
« Reply #1043 on: October 30, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
I think instead of having a novel to write, I'll just focus on doing what I did for Inktober--I'm going to write once a day regardless of what it is. The wordcount goal will likely take a backseat because I'm still doing daily drawing practice in addition to NaNoWriMo. But hey, it's the daily practice that counts, yeah?  ;D

Maybe I'll draw a character sketch a day or something and write a little backstory for them. That could be fun! Now I'm imagining doing a still-life study of a bowl of fruit and trying to come up with some elaborate backstory: "He was just a small-town orange. But suddenly he had found himself in the company of some bad apples." badum-tiss

...I'm sorry.
Native::usa:
Fluentish: :spain:
Learning: :vaticancity: :japan: Hawaiian
On my bucket list: :portugal:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #1044 on: October 30, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
"He was just a small-town orange. But suddenly he had found himself in the company of some bad apples." badum-tiss

...I'm sorry.

That is funny though.

Mélusine

« Reply #1045 on: November 01, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
Anyone else have extra big plans for NaNo?
Not this year ^^ I wrote *Checks* 115294 words during the last NaNo and ended the month exhausted. This year, I plan to do something more quiet. Moreover, I have absolutely no idea about how long the novel I'm working on will be. So... I'm just writing my amount of words and will see if I have to write more or not to finish the story with the NaNo :)

Good luck everybody !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1046 on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:04 AM »
Planning to do something more quiet sounds like a good idea, Melu. You really set a high bar last year. ;p

If I can make it to 10k I'll be happy. Good luck everyone~

Mélusine

« Reply #1047 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
Planning to do something more quiet sounds like a good idea, Melu. You really set a high bar last year. ;p
I really wanted to re-write all this part of my novel... so it was a different goal. This year, I don't even know if my novel will be long enough to reach 50000 words *Shrugs* No idea. We'll see. I'll keep writing with all of you who are too and it's nice to do that together :)
(One of my friends is at 12745 today. Well, she was before going to sleep last night. I'm so small and "normal".)

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1048 on: November 02, 2016, 09:43:13 AM »
I'm only at 960 words, it feels so weird to be this far behind!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1049 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
I'm only at 960 words, it feels so weird to be this far behind!

I'm at 250, so at least you're beating me? ; )