Author Topic: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)  (Read 10370 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2020, 03:43:07 AM »
I'm sorry, I don't understand that sentence  :'(
30 knots is what a corvette of today can do, with Megawatt diesel engines and <sarcasm>all the environment-friendlyness (read: economic use of energy) that a military can muster</sarcasm>.

The corvettes of the steamboat era had a top speed of around 15 knots, and, in terms of speed, they were nonetheless considered a quantum leap from the original sail-powered corvettes ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2020, 04:06:29 AM »
30 knots is what a corvette of today can do, with Megawatt diesel engines and <sarcasm>all the environment-friendlyness (read: economic use of energy) that a military can muster</sarcasm>.

The corvettes of the steamboat era had a top speed of around 15 knots, and, in terms of speed, they were nonetheless considered a quantum leap from the original sail-powered corvettes ...

oooooooooooooooooooooh, okay I understand now. Is it possible to reach perhaps 20 knots with solar power, then? If 30 is a diesel engine...

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2020, 06:16:57 AM »
Turns out electric propulsion is established technology and common in even large cruise ships today. Finland is building a fleet of four corvettes (length 114 m so a bit longer than the German one JoB posted about) and they are expected to have top speed of over 26 knots. It’s more about getting enough electricity than being able ro move the ship by electricity. The Finnish corvettes will come with a gas turbine, in other words the ship carries natural gas and uses it to run what is essentially an on-board power plant.

So, we can assume that both collection efficiency and storage technology of solar power have improved considerably. It would seem plausible to have the top speed at 25 knots, but over sustained range it would be best to drive more slowly. The energy requirement grows fast with speed, and for huge cargo ships of today, minimal fuel cost is at 12-15 knots or about half of their normal speed of 24 kn or so. Soo, lets say that in good weather (hopefully your mage will be able to predict whether the sunny weather will last) I think we could comfortably say you can go about 18 knots during the day and still maintain charge to be able to go faster for a short while. At night it’s best to drop to 10 knots to avoid draining the battery completely.

If you do manage to use all you have, a couple of hours could give you some to be able to get to moving slowly, assuming of course that this doesn’t happen at night. If you are expecting trouble, drive slow to charge the batteries as full as possible before entering the danger zone.

Would the ship be fitted with an emergency motor of the Cattank type, i.e. can use anything as fuel? That could give you a few miles to clear a tricky spot, but at very low speeds.

All in all, “we are running low on power!” can plausibly happen at any time :) On the other hand, you can plausibly (again allowing for advances in photovoltaics) just keep going all the time without needing to stop to charge, with the exception of extreme situations such as going over fast for longer to escape a pod of leviathans :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
Personally I'd prefer a woodgas primary with an electric/solar backup, which would lead to occasional trips to shore being necessary. But that's just my recommendation as this is Y90+ postapocalyptia and I don't expect solar in that situation to be nearly as advanced as it is currently.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
Consider the Cattank - clearly some advanced technology is around. Canon level of technology can’t be implausible within the world, right?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
So what I'm getting from all this:

corvette is 144m, our ship is slightly less than 50, so considering all yall smort people have said:
absolute top speed is 32 knots, speed at which we'll go normally is 18, speed for nighttime or extremely cloudy weather is 10, we run on solar power and every now and then we have to make a landing to get some firewood for Harald's forge.

@Lallicat sounds good?

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
Perfect! I'll edit my post :)
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohjanmaa-class_corvette

Here’s the link to the Finnish navy corvette I referenced. It’s more a question of how much and how efficient solar panels you decide to have :) The speeds seem good as suggested, Kitty!

I imagine we want the ship to be reasonably agile and reliable, with ample possibilities to cause surprise problems 😝

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pohjanmaa-class_corvette

Here’s the link to the Finnish navy corvette I referenced. It’s more a question of how much and how efficient solar panels you decide to have :) The speeds seem good as suggested, Kitty!

I imagine we want the ship to be reasonably agile and reliable, with ample possibilities to cause surprise problems 😝

I'd imagine Leif wouldn't get some random trash, he's a proper founder for cash moni unlike Council was for the comic expedition. And yeah that ship is almost thrice the size so ours should be lighter and more agile? And able to reach 32 easily, though not for v long times... maybe 3-4 hours tops at a full battery?

Also @Lallicat been meaning to ask you but I forgot - Icelandic mages are like yes/no, and Finnish ones are the ones where everyone can do spells but only some are strong enough for proper magic and seeing spirits. So I'm guessing your girl got a random blessing from Freya to talk with cats or something? That works for me, I'm just checking it with you.

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much the idea but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it; but wanted to have the option if I decide to :P
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

Kitty

• blueberry juice
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
Yeah that's cool and good :> Just checking <3

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2020, 04:20:25 AM »
I am now taking suggestions on what to name the kitten. 
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »
I am now taking suggestions on what to name the kitten.

Idleleaves named polydactil ginger screaming boy Reynir.  The fact that your kitten is female would make this name hilarious, imho.  Plus, rowan berries are orange.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:30:41 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)i
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
I did expect shenanigans. I did not expect you to end up in a fight before you left the port  :V

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
Re: Unified Roleplay Round 3! (Discussion and OOC Chat)i
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
I did expect shenanigans. I did not expect you to end up in a fight before you left the port  :V
... would your definition of "leaving port" include the Black Maria as the vessel, or why do you seem so certain that they will? :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15