Author Topic: Arts & Crafts  (Read 26381 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Arts & Crafts
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:39 PM »
Luth, that looks promising. What sort of tempering process do you plan to use?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2016, 12:25:25 AM »
I'm thinking I might use canola oil to temper it, I've heard that works, and we have a lot. Do you have any ideas?
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2016, 12:59:10 AM »
Oil tempering is a good way to do carbon steel, though I've never tried it with canola.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »
Well, here's my latest workshop project: Dual viking seax-style fighting knives!

Spoiler: heavy on images and text • show

Sad to say, I'm not doing it the "proper" way - I'm not really forging them from scratch. My brother bought a bar of metal for a knife he made (more of a shortsword, actually) and I'm using the leftovers. (O1 Carbon steel, these things will be very strong after I temper them!)

Here's an interesting infographic which I used as a reference when planning from this site.

First of all, I cut the 21'' long piece in half:

I marked out basically where the handle would go, then moved on. That step took a whole day (about 5+ hours of just sitting there with the saw blade grinding at this metal) and you can see I ended up with a little bit of heat damage on the tip there.

After that for a few months I didn't have much time to work on it, but I got back to it last weekend, carving one of the handles:

It started out as a big block of wood, which I first cut down to size, then started carving away at to get the general handle shape. It fits quite nicely in my hand, and I'm almost done now. Might stain it, but it'll most likely just be wrapped in leather when done.

I added some more details on the handle last night, and started grinding out the tang (decided on a tapered shape) earlier this evening. I'll post more photos as it goes along! :)

This sounds so cool??? Even though I know nothing about making weapons??? I can't wait to hear more about your progress!
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
I did some Over the Garden Wall papercutting in the form of a luminary (with an electric tea light, of course), and I thought I'd share:

Big note: The artwork is not mine: I adapted it to work in papercut form. The right image is from the cover art of the OTGW soundtrack. The left image I found online and have since been unable to locate: if anyone happens to know what it came from or who the artist is, I'd love to know so I can give proper credit!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »
I did some Over the Garden Wall papercutting in the form of a luminary (with an electric tea light, of course), and I thought I'd share:

Big note: The artwork is not mine: I adapted it to work in papercut form. The right image is from the cover art of the OTGW soundtrack. The left image I found online and have since been unable to locate: if anyone happens to know what it came from or who the artist is, I'd love to know so I can give proper credit!

Whoa!!! XoX That's amazing and so cool!! The light shining in the darkness fits OTGW well too. ;)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:54 AM »
Ana, that's beautiful work.

Róisín

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23:38 AM »
Ana, such a pretty thing.

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2016, 03:10:07 AM »
Wow, Ana Nymus  XoX This is a very, very beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:31:04 AM by heiteru »
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2016, 04:21:15 AM »

Wow, that's really great!  :D
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
Eeeeeee!! It's so pretty, Ana! I can't stop watching it ^^!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »
Wow, thanks guys! I'm glad you all like it. With Christmas coming up as quickly as it is, you may very well see some winter-themed luminaries from me, because it was really fun to make!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
Ana, that luminary is gorgeous. Your patience and skill with making these is impressive, and the result looks so good!

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
Love the luminary!! Looks like it would take a lot of patience, but the finished product is so beautiful and mesmerizing!! Super cool!
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »
Okay, okay, recently I watched Yuri!!! On Ice, and LIKE IT SO MUCH made some New Year decorations.

Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19: