Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842529 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #720 on: April 19, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
Oh my gosh Pineyyyyyyyy! I would say that seeing myself with a piney-expression didn't make my day, but that would be a total lie because those pictures are awesome!!!!! Hehe, I'm just so happy to have been Piney-tised (I think this needs to be a word) :P

Aww, thanks so much! (Am I a brand now? Piney-expression™? Piney-tised™? ;) )

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

tabeabd

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • I need coffee
« Reply #721 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
Eeee every time I come to this thread, there's great new stuff!

Good luck to those who are drawing everyone so far. What admirable patience! :)
Fluent::usa: 
Intermediate but rusty::germany:
Learning: 
Should know but doesn't::brazil:

:chap4::chap5::chap6::chap7:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #722 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »

Yes, Piney you are. You are an awesome brand of wonderful adorableness. ^_^
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #723 on: April 19, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Yes, Piney you are. You are an awesome brand of wonderful adorableness. ^_^

I'm so flattered

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #724 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »
Eeeee, Piney, those are adorable! /)^o*(\
And I know I already told you this in PM, AlmondGoddess, but EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! So much joy! There are no words! ;u;
And ... I feel like I'm missing people, so Blanket Compliments!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #725 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
I'm so flattered

You're welcome dear.
Also, how likely would you attempt to know your crew mates?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #726 on: April 19, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
You're welcome dear.
Also, how likely would you attempt to know your crew mates?

I'd want to get to know them, but if that means "ask them questions" or "start conversations", then unlikely (too scared). I'd stand around listening to their conversations and hope they show interest in me.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #727 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:46 PM »
I'd want to get to know them, but if that means "ask them questions" or "start conversations", then unlikely (too scared). I'd stand around listening to their conversations and hope they show interest in me.
So, captivated listener. And if presented a gift? (Trying to think of a possible nickname now)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #728 on: April 19, 2015, 10:51:57 PM »
So, captivated listener. And if presented a gift? (Trying to think of a possible nickname now)

I'd really appreciate it, but you might not be able to tell because I'll probably just blush and say an awkward "thank you".

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2015, 10:53:39 PM »
I'd really appreciate it, but you might not be able to tell because I'll probably just blush and say an awkward "thank you".

Cool. I have story ideas running around my head, and they are wanting attention.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #730 on: April 19, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »

Saying "thank you" always works nicely, thank you.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #731 on: April 20, 2015, 02:46:28 AM »
Well, I've spent about half my life now role playing in some form, but I still always feel like I can't really set down a lot of info for sure until I start playing the character. I also feel like my descriptions are a bit terse in general. Despite writing a lot for forum posts and such, I'm pretty minimalistic on description and tend toward things that are absolutely necessary until someone asks about other subjects.

OK, so we're quite different when it comes to backstory creating. But I mean, that's just cool, because if everyone were the same, I guess there wouldn't be much excitement in life. Also a character isn't necessarily good or exciting just because the backstory is detailed. I could probably have written a whole book about my self-insert - sometimes writing a lot of backstory is the wrong way to go, it all depends on if you know how to restrain yourself and only keep the important parts or the interesting parts of the backstory. I sometimes wish I didn't feel the urge to put in so many details because, as you're pointing out, sometimes it's hard to know your character before having tried them out.

(...)

Noooooooo! Don't be sorry, your backstory is awesome and I love how much of a character you've become!!!! (...)

(...)

Oh wow thank you!! I just really got into it and then there was no stopping me. I'm glad it hasn't been a bother to anyone just yet.

Also, if anyone feel like it, I'd be superhappy for any art contribution. I'm not going to force anyone though, just making sure people know it's okay if anyone feel inspired enough to draw my SSSSona - or include it in their writings or something. I'd love popping in here and there mumbling something or humming/whistling.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:44:06 AM by wildfire »
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

BarbaryLion22

« Reply #732 on: April 20, 2015, 04:09:43 AM »
Wow. I have been so far behind. I bestow glorious blanket compliments.
So I've decided to follow along on the draw those who draw me train... and then saw Haiz's drawing of "Trolls. Why couldn't it have been unicorns?" So here is Helen (Haiz) and the unicorn

More to come...Eventually
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #733 on: April 20, 2015, 04:22:34 AM »
wow this thread is going so fast, almost 50 pages already??

Gwenno: that looks great!!!

Wow. I have been so far behind. I bestow glorious blanket compliments.
So I've decided to follow along on the draw those who draw me train... and then saw Haiz's drawing of "Trolls. Why couldn't it have been unicorns?" So here is Helen (Haiz) and the unicorn

oH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST THING
or worst thing, depending on your view of the situation hahahahahahaha
THANK YOU SO MUCH
gosh
you'll know where to find me.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #734 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »

Yep, this is exactly how things are :P I doubt there's a single forum member who doesn't recognise a piece of piney artwork!

Either one. As for colors, you can refer to laufey's pic, the pre-expedition outfit would be earthen tones with the medicine wheel colored like this http://5c73a61a517b0fe8a592-3848f4fcbec919e3fd233a88730636bc.r92.cf1.rackcdn.com/medicine-wheel.png, and yes there are a pair of feather in the hair. Face paint is optional.

On another note would your 'sona attempt to communicate with mine? I'm playing with some ideas.

Sweet, I've got them all on a doc now to make it easier ^_^ Facepaint is quite tempting…..
Well both 'sonas speak Iclandic so technically we could communicate, and I'm pretty sure my 'sona is all for going on troll hunting vacations so we could also end up in the same location. As for actually attempting to communicate, it would probably be in the form of me asking questions about all the strange stuff you're doing as a mage, or asking about the place where we're at probably. Depends on the situation largely I guess :)

I started feeling bad about how 2D my 'sona seemed in comparison to so many of the others and created a backstory. It is kinda long I'm sorry, but I guess it just felt necessary…. (I haven't actually written anything in quite a while now so be nice please!)

Gwenno grew up in Svolvær and had always wanted to be a troll hunter for as long as she could remember. Each winter the hunters would fill her head with such stories of terror and adventure that she wanted nothing more than to take part in them herself, and each summer they would go out and fight and fewer would return. Year after year this went on and Gwenno decided that as soon as she was old enough she would join them. She grew big dreams of being the best troll hunter ever, of protecting her home singlehandedly, and of nobody ever having to be scared of the world ever again, but dreams are brittle and sometimes there are more than trolls standing in their way. As the years progressed it became apparent that she had no affinity with any kind of firearm, and after more than a few close shaves including blades while training, her teachers and family kindly suggested that it would probably be safer for her to stay away from trolls.

Her mother was from Iceland, and much to Gwenno’s dismay had made sure to teach her daughter to read from a very young age. Because of this, she was given a job as an assistant to a skald, and although her heart was still tied up in stories of troll hunting, she kept it hidden and worked hard to keep her family happy. She tried her hardest, she really did, but the dreams burnt a hole in her heart, and each night she would sneak out and train with anything she could get her hands on, be that cutlery, tree branch clubs, or rope. Some wondered how she’d collected so many bruises working such a mundane job, but it was mainly accredited to clumsiness and left at that. One night, while bruising herself and still making no progress, she saw a broken broom handle and decided to give it a spin, and somehow, something just *clicked*. While she still had a hard time getting things to work, she started getting better, and after a while she progressed to “borrowed” knives, and crafted her own wooden staff. Far away from the eyes of the world she grew stronger. Due to her previous failure she had become timid however, and scared to ask for any form of help lest she seem weak. This meant that although she had become a better fighter she found herself unable to ask to join, and as summer arrived she watched the warriors leaving for their first hunt of the year from her seat at the window-desk. Night fell and once again Gwenno sneaked away to find a quiet spot to train, before realising that the hunters still hadn’t come back. In a brilliant if ill timed moment of bravery she grabbed her staff and knives and climbed over the fence, with the intent of joining the team and helping them if they were caught in trouble. The night was still, and as befits a plan of such phenomental glory and stupidity, her presence in the darkness didn’t go unnoticed, and before she had even reached the first settlement a shadow crept behind her and lunged.....

The troll hunting team found her the next morning on the way back to Svolvær, proped up against a tree, covered in blood, with two cracked ribs and a smile on her face. Sourrounding her on the floor were various pieces of troll. As she was treated back at home, nearly in tears she shouted that if they wouldn’t let her join the team she’d just go out and fight the trolls by herself. What she didn’t know at the time however, was there were pieces of at least three trolls littering the floor around her that day, and it was agreed that maybe she deserved another shot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:00:40 PM by Gwenno »
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc