Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841102 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #555 on: April 14, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »
So I sketched some people. Mostly some people I've talked to the most. Mostly.  :D
Sorry the photo quality is so terrible ack.

My gosh this is good.
I need to learn faces; they look so fun when done this well!

Same goes for a loooooooot of the other art I haven't commented on in a while.  How do you all get to be so amazing?  Practicing and not stopping for years at a time?  What?
Feel free to PM.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #556 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
My guess would be very little reaction, given that
1) the Known World seems to be very gender-egalitarian [regardless of all the fan speculation of how gender roles would play out in case of an *actual* apocalypse] and
2) in a world where manufacturing is much more difficult and expensive, any kind of handicraft/hobby that produces useful things would probably be respected.  The crew would probably be lining up, begging you to knit them warm scarves and hats! 

This is somewhat different from IRL America, where there's still (regrettably) a certain amount of stereotyping about knitting and crocheting.  The hipster knitting revival of the last 20 years at least went some ways towards removing the "little old lady" stigma.  And the younger generation seems to be at least a bit less judgmental about "boy things" and "girl things" than when I was your age... which is a relief. 

That answer your question?   :)
Yeah. My mind keeps thinking how would people here react, and forgetting that in a post apocalyptic society useful skills are useful, no matter what. I think the shocker might be the motifs he'd use, making the patterns for wampum belts (traditionally made with beads) into his knitting and such.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #557 on: April 14, 2015, 01:45:48 AM »
[Infomercial Voice] Ahem.

Hello, friends and citizens! I am here to share with you the Great News that our New and Updated SSSSona Infodump is completely up-to-date, with features like EVERYBODY WHO HAS POSTED AN SSSSONA HERE sorted by not only name, like most other organization services provide, but also by nationality and profession! What an amazing product, right? Well, that's not all! There's also a Handy Language Chart with EVERYBODY EVER and the connections between people who can understand and communicate with each other! This AMAZING resource, headed by the intrepid Curry and KauniitaUnia, is available at any time at this link right here! Happy usage, people!

[/Infomercial Voice]

Since there are so many new crewmembers, this is just a reminder that there is indeed a collection of all the information about the SSSSonas so conveniently created for your use, and that everything is current (at least until somebody else makes a SSSSona) • v • The link above is to the google drive.

OMG that is just awesome!
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #558 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:36 AM »
So I sketched some people. Mostly some people I've talked to the most. Mostly.  :D
Thanks so much, tabeabd!  Once again you make me look way cuter than I deserve.  (I have a round little apple-face -- and my cheeks are even more apple-y when I'm smiling... or trying hard *not* to smile.)  The hair is faaabulous.  I can see I'll have a lot of work to do to look this good in person, if and when we hold the first-ever Minnions Meet-Up!

The other drawings look great too.  All those bright-eyed, alert expressions!  I particularly like how Laufey's troll is neatly clad in coat and tie...  ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #559 on: April 14, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »
Tabeabd: Whoah my troll looks so dapper! What a brilliant thing to wake up to!

This is somewhat different from IRL America, where there's still (regrettably) a certain amount of stereotyping about knitting and crocheting.  The hipster knitting revival of the last 20 years at least went some ways towards removing the "little old lady" stigma.  And the younger generation seems to be at least a bit less judgmental about "boy things" and "girl things" than when I was your age... which is a relief. 

Attitudes toward knitting etc. change quickly and depending on what skills are needed, so I would also wager knitting would be seen as a highly useful skill. My dad's generation of boys was still taught how to knit, how to darn clothes and sew buttons, and it wasn't thought of as anything specifically feminine. Likewise I was taught to handle a carving knife (the puukko of course) at very young age because among the skills seen as necessary were cleaning mushrooms, fish etc. It had less to do with gender and a lot more to do with your family teaching you what you need to know in life in general.

Up until very recently knitting had fallen out of favour though, but when it was seen as uncool it was seen thus by both genders and possibly powered up by their parents' opinions, because everyone has to learn to knit at school and most people have horror stories of how their teachers treated them if they didn't get the hang of it fast enough. My friend's mother knitted too tightly so her teacher took scissors to her halfway done work and cut it off the needles... she never knitted again after ground school.

Nowadays knitting is back in fashion as both a skill and clothing, and it makes me really happy to see all the modern variations of f.ex. the traditional Icelandic round collar sweater. Besides it's a really useful garment for the weather here!  :D So TL;DR the crew would probably love anyone with the skill and interest in knitting and unusual patterns would simply be seen as a positive thing, something you don't see every day.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:23:58 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2015, 04:57:08 AM »
I was wondering what the crew's reaction would be to learning that my 'Sona knits/crochets/etc especially since he's well male and such. (Kinda a 'so that's what he does in his spare time' thing. With surprise gifts, cause who doesn't need a super warm scarf?)
Knitting had been a male occupation by the past, my teacher was spoking about the sailors an fishermen since the Vikings. So I answer later but I really think all will be alright and, as some others had answer, a very useful skill.
*Regret having no drawing ability but follow with interest*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
I'm thinking of writing a little blurp with some of the Sonas if you're interested in seeing yours in it either PM me, or post here. I'll have it done in a few days.
Ah yes I am definitely interested!!

Also, I'm thinking about maybe doing a couple of character-interaction comics (short things, maybe not even really 'comics' per se) and same to the PM me or post it here thing? I'd love to try and get a feel for the group dynamic it's chaos what else

Edit: Tabea and Vafhudr, those are both really pretty! Tabea I love your thin lines so much. You have such a wonderful style!
There are so many of you guys on here with lovely, clean styles and then I'm over here like. hMM I AM PRETTY SURE THERE COULD BE 14 MORE LINES HERE. WHY HAVE ONE LINE WHEN YOU CAN HAVE 400 *brandishes pencil wildly*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:28:34 AM by Curry »
YEET

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #562 on: April 14, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
Curry and Haiz: I'm happy you like them =D

mad robin: You're really adorable as well!

DancingRanger: Blurp sounds fun, what do I have to do to join? :D

tabeabd: Such pretty lines! ;D Love the suit on Laufey xD

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »
I'm thinking of writing a little blurp with some of the Sonas if you're interested in seeing yours in it either PM me, or post here. I'll have it done in a few days.
I am VERY interested! ;D
That sounds really cool! I don't know if you need my profession or not I'm sort of like a mage skald author spellbook writing person.

Also here is a thing I tried... Okay this is what happens when I'm too lazy tired to draw eyes but hey i did draw a nose-you can't really see it but still

its supposed to be me in a cave or something I guess? The blue is magical stuff

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #564 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
Ahhh it was fun looking through this thread! I love everyone's self-inserts :)

I did the thing!

Too lazy to write any bio atm. And wow, it's been so long since I've drawn in PS, I nearly forgot what I was doing.
Not real name because Tabitha [REDACTED] is far from Nordic. Granted, Tabea isn't either, but it's still more European. "Söder" because my actual heritage is all south of Sweden haha.

Wow, wonderful! For name... Well the first thing that comes to mind is Beate or Beata. I had to google the latter and I think it's primarily a Lithuanian version of Beate, but maybe that is a good thing. Bea and Thea are also common Nordic female names.

Alrighty, I got a few things to post before turning in for the night! Firstly, Curry, here's my half of the trade! I was inspired by some watercolor artists I followed on Tumblr, and tried to experiment with a new coloring style... which ended up looking like my typical coloring style with a watercolor paper texture overlaid on top of it, haha

You continue to impress! Even the sketches are so well done.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #565 on: April 14, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

DancingRanger: Blurp sounds fun, what do I have to do to join? :D

All you have to do is ask.

Ah yes I am definitely interested!!
Awesome. You're the only one who has received a nickname in the group. (There will be others, later) it's based off a Native American legend about how Raven stole fire, and was singed black because of it. It came to me last night when I was thinking of what designs fit each 'sona.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #566 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:31 AM »
Sorry the photo quality is so terrible ack.
[image]
ooh, it's a me! I will draw you too! (I am using the art-trade mechanism to keep myself from trying to draw everybody at once because time, so don't feel bad or anything. Um.)
I really like your style, it's soooo pretty...
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #567 on: April 14, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
@ KauniitaUnia

Has hinted at before, here's my take on your OC. I didn't go for your dream dress, opting instead for the generic Finnish night scout attire and your mosin-nagant.

Meanwhile, I still weep at my inability to draw cats as I try to draw Oliga's OC.

Ooooooo it's so pretty! I love how badass you make me look, thank you so much!  c:
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #568 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »
Late response, but DancingRanger and Curry: You can count me in to your projects if you like!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #569 on: April 14, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
[Infomercial Voice] Ahem.

Hello, friends and citizens! I am here to share with you the Great News that our New and Updated SSSSona Infodump is completely up-to-date, with features like EVERYBODY WHO HAS POSTED AN SSSSONA HERE sorted by not only name, like most other organization services provide, but also by nationality and profession! What an amazing product, right? Well, that's not all! There's also a Handy Language Chart with EVERYBODY EVER and the connections between people who can understand and communicate with each other! This AMAZING resource, headed by the intrepid Curry and KauniitaUnia, is available at any time at this link right here! Happy usage, people!

[/Infomercial Voice]

Since there are so many new crewmembers, this is just a reminder that there is indeed a collection of all the information about the SSSSonas so conveniently created for your use, and that everything is current (at least until somebody else makes a SSSSona) • v • The link above is to the google drive.

"cutest viking warrior ever"

Aww <3

Heheh, maybe I should write an actual character description? XD