Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81656 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18:18 AM »
This is the coolest! or wramest! yeah, this is the warmest!
today-36 as in happy birthday!?

Yess! :D I've already been reminded that I was 11 when Twin Peaks first aired 25 years ago and that that might explain some things (like why I'm afraid of looking at a mirror when I brush my teeth at night) and I feel ancient. Plus Iceland threw a snow storm at me but the joke's on her, I just so happen to have a new sweater.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
It's Iceland's b-day present, allowying you to test that sweater :P
now enough derailing this thread :-[
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »

Wow, that is incredible! I am super-jealous of your knitting skills. And I am half-tempted to hop on a plane to come steal that sweater. (What's holding me back? Only the knowledge that we probably aren't the same size so I wouldn't be able to put it on anyway...)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »
Oh wow wow wow !
At the moment I saw it while reading I have think "It's time to improve my knitting skills", but I was a bit afraid of trying something without any pattern. Someone have done it ! :D *Put this project on her list-of-a-bit-mad-projects*
I'm very impressed by how fast you've finish it :) (And without circular needles ?)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
Wow, that is incredible! I am super-jealous of your knitting skills. And I am half-tempted to hop on a plane to come steal that sweater. (What's holding me back? Only the knowledge that we probably aren't the same size so I wouldn't be able to put it on anyway...)

I better hurry writing down those instructions then so that the sweater might become stealable in many sizes and countries. :D Also thank you!

Oh wow wow wow !
At the moment I saw it while reading I have think "It's time to improve my knitting skills", but I was a bit afraid of trying something without any pattern. Someone have done it ! :D *Put this project on her list-of-a-bit-mad-projects*
I'm very impressed by how fast you've finish it :) (And without circular needles ?)

Thank you! I knitted it in pieces, yes, but if you have long enough a circular needle and aren't afraid of steeking (= cutting a knit, I've never done it myself but apparently it works) like me I'm sure it could be knit in a round too. Might be even faster that way.  :)

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »
Yess! :D I've already been reminded that I was 11 when Twin Peaks first aired 25 years ago and that that might explain some things (like why I'm afraid of looking at a mirror when I brush my teeth at night) and I feel ancient.
Plus Iceland threw a snow storm at me but the joke's on her, I just so happen to have a new sweater.
Iceland kindly provided you the perfect white background for that sweater to really "pop." 
You look fantastic in it!  And happy birthday -- 36 is just the beginning (says a veteran). 

I was going to say you've got a revival of "Twin Peaks" to look forward to... but with David Lynch quitting the project, maybe not.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

THIS is SOOO BEAUTIFUL!
I am jealous. I want to knit too! But unfortunately all tries ended with me tangled in threads...

Also Happy Birthday again! May all your wishes come true and may this year be the most best of your life!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »

And then for something completely different: guess what I finally finished! Léttlopi is much thinner yarn than Álafoss lopi so this one's not going to be such a breeze as the Braidypeysa, but on the upside it doesn't require weightlifting a crazy amount of wool on two needles.

After these two projects all I can say is that Minna is really good at designing knitwear and that this sweater will be worn for both cosplay and just general sweater-wearing purposes because of that. Er... guess I better warn you though that I'm actually a minisize human and nowhere near tall enough to actually pull off a proper Sigrun cosplay but I can always dream... I'll write down the patterns and instructions like with the previous project and post them here. :)

(Same picture can be found larger here if you want a closer look at the pattern, or my today-36 year old mug.)
This is absolutely gorgeous, and a nice everyday sweater to boot! Sweaters are too big a project for me, I fear, at least for now, but this makes me think I might try my hand one day...
(And I'm desperately trying to figure out what those two lumpy things on legs next to you are...  ;))
Also: Happy birthday, again!
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
Happy birthday!  And what a beautiful bday present for youself.  That looks amazing.

You look familiar - do you have a LJ account?  I met a Finn there who had moved to Iceland.  She also had a blog with loli style - not you, by any chance?
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
Thank you! I knitted it in pieces, yes, but if you have long enough a circular needle and aren't afraid of steeking (= cutting a knit, I've never done it myself but apparently it works) like me I'm sure it could be knit in a round too. Might be even faster that way.  :)
Weeeeeeell, I've actually never try to knit patterns (But projects a little to big for you are always the best !), so I must be far away to cut a knit ^^°
Anyway, you're very talented :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »
Sunflower: no Lynch, no Twin Peaks, that's just the way it is. And yes, fresh snow is a brilliant background!

Viisikielinenkantele: aaaw thank you! If you ever want to try it though I would actually suggest something a bit difficult. Simple projects are all very well but they often get boring fairly quickly. Thick yarn is the key, nothing's more motivating than immediately seeing your process.

Aprillen: thank you! I'm going to suggest the thick yarn trick to you too, you'll get a super warm sweater and it's awesome to see immediately all the work you're putting in your project.
By lumpy things you probably mean the garden decorations, they're just driftwood pieces on stilts. You see them quite a lot here. Also anchors, lots of old, rusty anchors just lying on people's lawns. :)

Ann Marie: Thank you so much, and yup, that sure sounds like me.  ;D

Mélusine: the thought of taking scissors to a knitting is scary. I watched a tutorial that did make a lot of sense though, just see that if you ever try it you're using natural fibre yarn, preferably wool.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:09:32 PM by Laufey »

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »
yup, that sure sounds like me.  ;D

:-)  Good to see you again!

the thought of taking scissors to a knitting is scary. I watched a tutorial that did make a lot of sense though, just see that if you ever try it you're using natural fibre yarn, preferably wool.

Not all natural fibers are equal! I know there's some wool yarns that are particularly sticky and suitable for steeking.  Cotton, or any plant based fibers I can think of, would, um, not work that great. 

Wow, it's a long time since I've knit anything.

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »

Aaaugh, how do you knit so fast. Even in my best days, sweaters would take me a while. It looks fabulous. :)

I also have itchy fingers to knit Reynir's everyday short-sleeve hoodie. I wish I had the time for it!

Oh! I took some updated pictures of my mittens. Not much farther than they were, but, whatever. (Also, the color is terrrrrible.)

Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Those look great, Starz.  They are going to be gorgeous when they're done.

WellAnFree

« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2015, 01:53:31 AM »
I finished knitting the capelet I chose, its the one that Braidy's big brother is wearing in the last frame in 292.

Problem is, I'm a coward, I can't bring myself to steek it.  I need to, but I can't!  What to do, what to do? :(  I'll get pictures up once I block it.