Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841578 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2340 on: June 15, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
AAAAAAAA Daea that's beautiful. I love the look on Mith's face, that's me every morning :P
Also, Gwenno, I draw on the back of school-papers, and erase-and-start-over if I don't like it. It also takes for-freaking-EVER to do the pencil, because I don't start inking until I like it.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2341 on: June 15, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
I don't know if I post this here but anyway...

I was feeling inspired to draw all the groups from our self-insert expedition, and of course, I decided to start with the group my sona is in.
GROUP 4 FOR THE WIN!

So, here we have:

Strelokov - trying to upgrade a gun, as usual (and trying to restrain his urge to murder a screaming little troll);
Iina - tried to play with BlorpTroll but got bitten;
Freddie - looking for something to soothe Iina's pain;
Klarissa - holding an incredibly annoyed BlorpTroll that is screaming it's rage ("how dare they try to play with me, I'm no pet")
Ida - wondering how hard it would be to kill BlorpTroll with her tools;
Daéa - wondering why she agreed to come along with these people;
Galatea - doesn't matter how angry BlorpTroll is, Galatea still wants to poke it;
Mith - trying to block the noise with her books;
Matthew - wondering what is going on with these people.

I hope I was able to draw all your lovely sonas properly, I apologize for any mistakes.

EDIT: I forgot Eich! He is away from all the noise, playing his guitar, as you can see.

this is beautiful and I think I'm going to try and draw everyone too :0 I love this picture so much omg
YEET

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #2342 on: June 15, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »

I was feeling inspired to draw all the groups from our self-insert expedition, and of course, I decided to start with the group my sona is in.
GROUP 4 FOR THE WIN!

So, here we have:

Strelokov - trying to upgrade a gun, as usual (and trying to restrain his urge to murder a screaming little troll);
Iina - tried to play with BlorpTroll but got bitten;
Freddie - looking for something to soothe Iina's pain;
Klarissa - holding an incredibly annoyed BlorpTroll that is screaming it's rage ("how dare they try to play with me, I'm no pet")
Ida - wondering how hard it would be to kill BlorpTroll with her tools;
Daéa - wondering why she agreed to come along with these people;
Galatea - doesn't matter how angry BlorpTroll is, Galatea still wants to poke it;
Mith - trying to block the noise with her books;
Matthew - wondering what is going on with these people.

I hope I was able to draw all your lovely sonas properly, I apologize for any mistakes.

EDIT: I forgot Eich! He is away from all the noise, playing his guitar, as you can see.

Nice. Though if Blorp is loud enough I would clamp my hands over my ears (like Lalli did upon meeting Sigrun) and glare at the troll and whoever ticked it off.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2343 on: June 15, 2015, 11:32:57 PM »
Finally finished my half of the trade with princeofdoom~

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #2344 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
Finally finished my half of the trade with princeofdoom~

Yes good, thank you. I REALLY NEED TO WORK ON MY HALF. :'J
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2345 on: June 16, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
Such a lovely piece! I adore the soft (?) textured coloring~
Thank you! It's been a while since I tackled an inked and painted piece. Glad that it came out well.

Awww, her sadness is so cute (heck, I wish I looked that nice when crying, haha)!! Ari is perfect, it matches her face! And the coloring is just beautiful!
Aww. She's so cute! Can I hugles her to make her feel better?
Two things : one, it's beautiful, two, I think I'd give her an hug.

Aww, thanks! Hugs are appreciated. C:
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #2346 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:39 AM »
Aw, poor little thing ;n; The picture is lovely!

As for the Nordic names wiki: I took a quick look at the Swedish names and there's a lot that I've never seen before and that don't sound remotely Swedish. I clicked at a random one and apparently there's 7 people in Sweden with that name, so I presume it lists all/most of the names registered in each country.

There's always http://www.behindthename.com/, where you can also select a specific country, but it lists the origin of the name as well. I find it a lot more reliable.

Thanks for the Behind the Name link. It is helping me nail down my name.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2347 on: June 16, 2015, 01:38:15 AM »
Yes good, thank you. I REALLY NEED TO WORK ON MY HALF. :'J

Ah, no rush really, I procrastinated long enough on mine :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #2348 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:59 AM »
Working on my characters name. Katja for the first. Mother is Icelandic and being born in Iceland she is using the Icelandic naming. Mother's name is Svanna. So dose anyone know the correct way to put that with "-dottir"?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2349 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:26 AM »
Working on my characters name. Katja for the first. Mother is Icelandic and being born in Iceland she is using the Icelandic naming. Mother's name is Svanna. So dose anyone know the correct way to put that with "-dottir"?

If we ignore the strict naming law rules the matronymic would be Svönnudóttir. If you want to go by the Icelandic law on names (ridiculously harsh) it would be Svönudóttir.

EDIT: the naming laws here are stupidly harsh. Let me rant about it in the spoiler cut.

Spoiler: show
You can only name your child from a list of approved names, there's restrictions on certain names that can either only be used as first or second names (sometimes those internet name searching things fail because they can't tell the difference), the spelling has to go by Icelandic grammar, you have to usually pick a name that's in the same gender as the child grammatically, and also there are absolutely NO gender neutral names - they go against the law. You can't use foreign spelling, meaning that even in the off-chance that the naming committee allows the child a foreign name it still has to be spelled in an Icelandic way (and cannot have letters that are not in the Icelandic alphabet, such as C).

To be allowed a foreign name the child has to have at least one parent of foreign ancestry, and over here that means that the parent must have been born outside of Iceland and have lived elsewhere for most of their life. The foreign name applications are gone over case by case and it's not at all guaranteed that they'll be approved, plus you'll have to apply specifically for the name to be considered and pay some handling fees. Name not approved? Back to the drawing table for you, you'll just have to apply with a new one and pay the fees again... or risk your child be forever called "girl" or "boy" in official documents.

Lately the former mayor of Reykjavík, Jón Gnarr, wanted to change his name to be Jón Gnarr for real since it's not his birth name, however, it's the only name he's been using for years. Naming committee gave him a strict no so he went to the USA to change it... and upon returning got the same no again. There was also the matter of Blær (= Breeze) who wasn't allowed her own name for most of her life despite the fact that it is a real Icelandic girl's name, you can f.ex. find a character called Blær in a book by Laxness... but it had been a long time since the last Blær was born and the name declines in masculine. She's a good example of what it means that the name has to match the child's gender grammatically, not only in reality (wow that felt a bit silly to write).

I'm not against some naming laws, mind you, it's good that not just anything is allowed (such as that one couple that tried to name their daughter Lúsiferia) but I find that the Icelandic naming laws are unnecessarily strict.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:21:46 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2350 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:56 AM »

GROUP 4 FOR THE WIN!

It looks wonderful :) I like interaction between everyone!

here's my part for the art trade with AuthorOfLight! It's Beth:

hope you like it!
So cute! Love the expression and how you did the hair :D

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2351 on: June 16, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »
GROUP 4 FOR THE WIN!

Oh goodness, this is amazing. Especially the reactions/interactions....which are especially spot-on in Mith's case.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2352 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »
If we ignore the strict naming law rules the matronymic would be Svönnudóttir. If you want to go by the Icelandic law on names (ridiculously harsh) it would be Svönudóttir.

EDIT: the naming laws here are stupidly harsh. Let me rant about it in the spoiler cut.

Spoiler: show
You can only name your child from a list of approved names, there's restrictions on certain names that can either only be used as first or second names (sometimes those internet name searching things fail because they can't tell the difference), the spelling has to go by Icelandic grammar, you have to usually pick a name that's in the same gender as the child grammatically, and also there are absolutely NO gender neutral names - they go against the law. You can't use foreign spelling, meaning that even in the off-chance that the naming committee allows the child a foreign name it still has to be spelled in an Icelandic way (and cannot have letters that are not in the Icelandic alphabet, such as C).

To be allowed a foreign name the child has to have at least one parent of foreign ancestry, and over here that means that the parent must have been born outside of Iceland and have lived elsewhere for most of their life. The foreign name applications are gone over case by case and it's not at all guaranteed that they'll be approved, plus you'll have to apply specifically for the name to be considered and pay some handling fees. Name not approved? Back to the drawing table for you, you'll just have to apply with a new one and pay the fees again... or risk your child be forever called "girl" or "boy" in official documents.

Lately the former mayor of Reykjavík, Jón Gnarr, wanted to change his name to be Jón Gnarr for real since it's not his birth name, however, it's the only name he's been using for years. Naming committee gave him a strict no so he went to the USA to change it... and upon returning got the same no again. There was also the matter of Blær (= Breeze) who wasn't allowed her own name for most of her life despite the fact that it is a real Icelandic girl's name, you can f.ex. find a character called Blær in a book by Laxness... but it had been a long time since the last Blær was born and the name declines in masculine. She's a good example of what it means that the name has to match the child's gender grammatically, not only in reality (wow that felt a bit silly to write).

I'm not against some naming laws, mind you, it's good that not just anything is allowed (such as that one couple that tried to name their daughter Lúsiferia) but I find that the Icelandic naming laws are unnecessarily strict.

If anyone wants the offical site that lists all the Icelandic approved names: https://www.island.is/mannanofn/leit/%20

It's not in english but I think if you google translate the page you should be able to get by. But just in case,
Stúlkur = girls
Drengir = boys
Millinöfn = middle names
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2353 on: June 16, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »
You can't use foreign spelling, meaning that even in the off-chance that the naming committee allows the child a foreign name it still has to be spelled in an Icelandic way (and cannot have letters that are not in the Icelandic alphabet, such as C).
To be allowed a foreign name the child has to have at least one parent of foreign ancestry, and over here that means that the parent must have been born outside of Iceland and have lived elsewhere for most of their life.
[Ponders going on a donor spree in Iceland just to drive the bureaucrats to insanity]
[Iz male and haz a first name with the German CH fricative in it]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2354 on: June 16, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »

From the logistics side of things. Bosse is helping! I forgot his collar, but imagine it being lost in his fur or something..

And does anyone want to do more art trades with me? I'm a bit slow because work is doing this to my spare time, but I love doing them!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:59:45 PM by Unlos »