Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 841631 times)

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
I didn't have a chance to say this during the weekday, but these sketches look great! There's just something about traditionally drawn things that is appealing. Freddie, you've caught my character's grin spot on, and Kauniita, I'm really amazed that you sketched not one but three things for me! :D
That's great! Interesting expressions, and the falcon is very lifelike.
Thank you both! And yes, 'interesting' is definitely one way to describe those expressions... ;)
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #466 on: April 11, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
@KauniitaUnia

I just noticed that you also doodled my face. You are added to the list. O:
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
@KauniitaUnia

I just noticed that you also doodled my face. You are added to the list. O:
Yay! Thanks, I can't wait :0 Your sketch is kinda small there, so if you want I can draw something a bit better?
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #468 on: April 11, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
I cannot draw people
* throws art and runs*
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #469 on: April 11, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
This thread just fills up with awesomeness all the time. Please accept my pathetic blanket praise everyone!

I'm also somewhat tight with my schedule, so although I'm definitely interested I'm afraid I'm a bit useless with art trades... but my troll has been drawn a few times and I want to at least return the favour!  Starting with the two mages Haiz and DancingRanger, admittedly because I wanted to paint two mages cooperating instead of just working alone. Drawing even a single stave can take a while and what if there's no time and you really just need to blast something to smithereens immediately?

Haiz drawing a stave against darkness* with sunlight, DancingRanger creating a Veldismagn stave which increases luck and power and traditionally has to be made with the user's own blood. I'm figuring it will increase Haiz's stave effect about hundredfold. I'm not sure why the magepile... possibly they're both too short to suitably reach that one spot of sunlight available, or maybe they just specialized in different kinds of staves, who knows. Also Haiz wasn't supposed to end up looking so worried but I guess it's ok, after all if the attack stave fails in any way whatever happens will be massively powered up by the Veldismagn.  :P

(Failing to create a stave correctly doesn't always mean that it simply won't work, most likely it will work but in a very unplanned, possibly disastrous way. At least that's how it goes in sagas.)

*This is actually based on another real stave that's supposed to work against "fear of darkness" but used here to simply gain some solar effect on whatever's coming at them. Read that as "mages exploding things".

Eeeeeeee! This is so beautiful. . .It's a pleasant surprise on a bad day. Thanks. And I'll probability be drawing your troll-sona again soon.

Edit- in RL I don't have blonde hair. But I kinda wish I did have that pretty ashen colored hair though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:16:42 PM by DancingRanger »
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
Yay! Thanks, I can't wait :0 Your sketch is kinda small there, so if you want I can draw something a bit better?

Fret not. This is mostly an excuse for me to practice drawing. >_> <_<

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
I cannot draw people
* throws art and runs*

GASP it's adroable!!!!!!
i love my carefree pose, hee
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
DancingRanger: Aaah oh no, I guess I interpreted the previous pictures all wrong. I can still fix the colour though! Also glad you liked it and that it was well timed.

Haiz: Thank you! :D Don't worry, I'm sure everything went just fine. Juuuuuust fine.

Unlos: Thank you too! All these characters are so fun to paint. :-*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
DancingRanger: Aaah oh no, I guess I interpreted the previous pictures all wrong. I can still fix the colour though! Also glad you liked it and that it was well timed.

Haiz: Thank you! :D Don't worry, I'm sure everything went just fine. Juuuuuust fine.

Unlos: Thank you too! All these characters are so fun to paint. :-*

It's completely fine. I don't like shading and such. Actually I kinda wonder how many brunettes would be left in Scandinavia in year90 (Local stereotypes are ya'll are very blonde haired, tall(er) and have blue eyes). . .

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
It's completely fine. I don't like shading and such. Actually I kinda wonder how many brunettes would be left in Scandinavia in year90 (Local stereotypes are ya'll are very blonde haired, tall(er) and have blue eyes). . .
not actually that true, a lot of norwegian people start out blonde and turn brown-haired as they get older
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #475 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:40 PM »
not actually that true, a lot of norwegian people start out blonde and turn brown-haired as they get older

Same happens with Finns. I had platinum blonde hair as a kid and blue eyes to match but when I got older my mum's genes kicked in and now I have brown hair and green eyes instead. However, sometimes I also wonder if the stereotype of blonde Nordics isn't a little bit affected by what's perceived as blonde in different countries: what Finns would already call "dirt-road brown" still counted as blonde in the UK, and hair dye kits always make me wonder just how dark will your hair have to be before it would be labeled as non-blonde on those. Icelanders seem to think similarly and count only the lightest hair colour possible as blonde, f.ex. ash blonde is already out of the blonde category.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #476 on: April 11, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
O.o my dad's hair did that. . . odd. But cool! I kinda wonder what mine'll do as I get older.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #477 on: April 11, 2015, 06:52:12 PM »
Same happens with Finns. I had platinum blonde hair as a kid and blue eyes to match but when I got older my mum's genes kicked in and now I have brown hair and green eyes instead. However, sometimes I also wonder if the stereotype of blonde Nordics isn't a little bit affected by what's perceived as blonde in different countries: what Finns would already call "dirt-road brown" still counted as blonde in the UK, and hair dye kits always make me wonder just how dark will your hair have to be before it would be labeled as non-blonde on those. Icelanders seem to think similarly and count only the lightest hair colour possible as blonde, f.ex. ash blonde is already out of the blonde category.

While I have seen changing hair colour in my family, I was not aware that eye colour could change. D:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #478 on: April 11, 2015, 07:00:55 PM »
While I have seen changing hair colour in my family, I was not aware that eye colour could change. D:

It can change with age, most typically with people who start with blue eyes. Usually your eyes change colour either within the first three years of your life or at puberty, although at puberty it's more common that the colour you already have just gets darker. Blue eyes changing colour doesn't happen to the majority of blue-eyed people of course, but it's not entirely uncommon either.  :)

Mine started changing at the same time with my hair getting darker though, I'd say between ages 10 and 13. My little brother's hair turned darker much earlier than mine but I think his eyes changed colour around the same age as mine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:06:30 PM by Laufey »

DancingRanger

• Ranger
« Reply #479 on: April 11, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »
I googled blonde, I think my range of what is blonde might be a bit larger than others. But it is kinda interesting to think what is 'blonde'/'brunette' I do know I'd never be mistaken for blonde, my hair is pretty dark, nearly black in some light, so are my eyes.