Author Topic: French thread  (Read 17121 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: French thread
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:10 PM »
How is the French letter U pronounced?
In spelling and most cases where it appears within a word, quite similar to the German umlaut "Ü". However, it can easily combine with certain other letters so as to obtain a different pronunciation, like "jeu" (where "eu" is pronounced more like the German "Ö").

May I suggest that you look up the words you need in LEO and listen to the soundbites it (hopefully) offers for it? The round black-on-grey "play"-symbol buttons immediately to their left.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2015, 06:30:10 AM »
:france: Je suis désolé de revivre(?) ce thread (comment dit-on les mots d'Internet?), mais on m'a supris que personne n'avais abonné cette vidéo:
:newzealand: I am sorry for reviving this thread (I am also sorry for my bad French), but here:
I'm surprised no one shared this yet.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Troposphère

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • because chaos.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
:france: Je suis désolé de revivre(?) ce thread (comment dit-on les mots d'Internet?), mais on m'a supris que personne n'avais abonné cette vidéo:

On dirait plutôt:
Je suis désolé de ressusciter ce thread, mais je suis surpris que personne n'ait partagé cette vidéo.

Thread est très bien. On pourrait dire topic, ou sujet, voir fil je pense, mais les mots anglais sont souvent utilisés.

Merci, je ne connaissais pas cette vidéo, je ne regarde pas souvent les vidéos de Norman!
native: :france:
ok: :uk:
have learned for years but can just say hi: :germany:
just a few words: :sweden: :iceland:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
J'irais personellement pour "sujet de discussion". Ce n'est pas très gracieux, mais cela évite l'anglicisme. C'est aussi très générique. Une traduction litéralle sonne fausse. Fil pour thread, même si techniquement correcte, me laisserais dans le noir niveau signification. De plus, au niveau littéraire, ca manque pas mal de punch.

Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
Je vais m'installer dans un coin par ici avec mon français de Suisse Romande o/ :switzerland:

Est-ce quelqu'un peut me dire pourquoi la France utilise "soixante-dix", "quatre-vingts", "quatre-vingt-dix" et autres bizzareries quand il y a "septante", "huitante" et "nonante"? ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:46:59 AM by Aki »
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2015, 10:38:26 AM »
Well, it's because originally old French had two competing number systems:

One that followed the general romance model of having specific words for units of tens, so dix, vingt, trente, quarante, cinquante, soixante, septante, octante, nonante…

And one which was a simpler composite system in base 20, possibly influenced by celtic languages, so dix, vingt, vingt dix, deux vingt, deux vingt dix, trois vingt, trois vingt dix, quatre vingt, quatre vingt dix (it's simpler in the sense that it needs less words: once you've learned to count up to 20, you already know how to count up to 99, without having to learn additional words).

Swiss and Belgian French eventually completely settled on the first system, but the French of France settled on a hybrid system.

It's worth noting that people who count like this don't literally hear "quatre-vingt-dix" as "four twenty ten" — they treat the phrase as a unit that happens to mean "ninety" — in that sense either way to say it is no more or less arbitrary.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
Je vais m'installer dans un coin par ici avec mon français de Suisse Romande o/ :switzerland:

Est-ce quelqu'un peut me dire pourquoi la France utilise "soixante-dix", "quatre-vingts", "quatre-vingt-dix" et autres bizzareries quand il y a "septante", "huitante" et "nonante"? ;)

Parle pour toi - je n'avais jamais entendu parler des termes septante, huitante et nonante avant de fréquenter l'internet et ce forum plus particulièrement.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:24:44 PM by Vafhudr »
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
C'est tellement belge ! ;) (Et suisse, semble-t-il.) C'est toujours très étrange à entendre.
*Va en apprendre plus en lisant ce qu'a dit Rollo parce qu'elle ne sait pas répondre à cette question*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
And one which was a simpler composite system in base 20, possibly influenced by celtic languages, so dix, vingt, vingt dix, deux vingt, deux vingt dix, trois vingt, trois vingt dix, quatre vingt, quatre vingt dix (it's simpler in the sense that it needs less words: once you've learned to count up to 20, you already know how to count up to 99, without having to learn additional words).

It's worth noting that people who count like this don't literally hear "quatre-vingt-dix" as "four twenty ten" — they treat the phrase as a unit that happens to mean "ninety" — in that sense either way to say it is no more or less arbitrary.

Interesting, I didn't know that that was a celtic counting system! So instead of knowing numbers you gotta know math... idk if I'd call that easier but sure, that works too ;)
I was sorta half-kidding because if there's one thing that my French teacher for French and I, only bilingual kid in a class full of Swiss-germans, could never agree on was the numbers so this was just poking me poking some fun.
We do understand it as a phrase rather than a composite of numbers here as well, because the quatre-vingt-dix and others are also often heard in Western Switzerland through French TV channels for example and so we kind of adopted the understanding but not the wide-spread use.

C'est tellement belge ! ;) (Et suisse, semble-t-il.) C'est toujours très étrange à entendre.
*Va en apprendre plus en lisant ce qu'a dit Rollo parce qu'elle ne sait pas répondre à cette question*
Bon, les Belges ils utilisent octante (apparamment) et les Suisse utilisent huitante, donc il y a encore une petite différence entre les deux, en plus du chocolat ;)
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »
So I studied French throughout high school and university, and two summers ago studies abroad in France for about 3 1/2 months. I really haven't used French in almost two years though, and I've been itching to use it again and have a good conversation in French.

Once I brush up on my French in my own time, is there anyone who would be willing to have a few good practice conversations with me in French ?

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
Once I brush up on my French in my own time, is there anyone who would be willing to have a few good practice conversations with me in French ?
Ask when you want :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:38 PM »
Ask when you want :)
Ahhhh merci mon nouvel ami !!!

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:52 AM »
So I studied French throughout high school and university, and two summers ago studies abroad in France for about 3 1/2 months. I really haven't used French in almost two years though, and I've been itching to use it again and have a good conversation in French.

Aww, yay French!

I've only three years of experience with French and am not native (since I am not three years old xD) but if you wanted to practice with another USian, I'm here! :) I am more or less conversational, depending upon whether or not I have the vocabulary for a given topic. And when I type in French, I most definitely use the dictionary, ehehehe.

Mélusine is a great person to practice! She's very kind and sweet with her grammatical tips. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've never had a negative interaction with any of the Francophones on the forum. They're a very kind bunch. :)
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
Aww, yay French!

I've only three years of experience with French and am not native (since I am not three years old xD) but if you wanted to practice with another USian, I'm here! :) I am more or less conversational, depending upon whether or not I have the vocabulary for a given topic. And when I type in French, I most definitely use the dictionary, ehehehe.

Mélusine is a great person to practice! She's very kind and sweet with her grammatical tips. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've never had a negative interaction with any of the Francophones on the forum. They're a very kind bunch. :)

I just might take you up on that, I suppose I can't have too many French speaking practice partners !

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
Je voudrais poster ici encore parce-qu'il y a des mois depuis j'ai étudié le français xD

Peut-être, si des autres personnes sont intéressés, je peux parler sur Skype avec des autres Francophones? Maintenaint, j'aide Nimphy avec les points de grammaire élémentaires, mais je voudrais améliorer mon français, et pour ça, je dois pratiquer plus souvent.

Je peux partager mon pseudo sur Skype s'il y a des personnes qui voudraient chatter.

((désolée pour des erreurs--j'ai sommeil xP))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:22:47 AM by ginger »
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!