Author Topic: Writers' Corner  (Read 41255 times)

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
Re: Writers' Corner
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
Not entirely sure if this is the best place for this discussion, but I'd like some help with this idea.
In many of my previous posts I've discussed an idea tied to an album of pictures, most of them made in a sketchbook of mine.

I was asked about my entire idea some time back in a PM, but I feel like I need to iron this out further, and I find that stuff like this is best done with other eyes.
My response to the person is in this quote:
That's a bit of a good question really. I'm still trying to get a completely clear idea out of it myself.
All I really know is that one day while scrolling through images I got the idea of a turn-based game with three classes: a close ranged fighter, a ranged warrior, and a mage that would move around parts of the map for the other two.
Then I developed these three to act as a member of each class, and then I added symbols on their backs to indicate ranks (where in reality they would be in those square patches of the opposite color). Then I started thinking of some other minor ideas that I've since melted down for this one, kinda.

I guess the big idea is something like this:
The terrain could be coastal, but it is certainly frozen. Tundra, forests, a couple mountains. In I think one of the tundras, there's this city. It's technology is mostly clockwork but with bits and pieces of technology of ranges just short of WW2 technology.
Everyone there worships this one god, a clockwork god. This god has given some of it's citizens gifts. For some, it manifests in magic, commonly this one that lets them move parts of the world about. Some get other magics, like the ability to spark up flames at their will. Some are given knowledge, the means to make some of this advanced technology as a second nature. There's even some who get multiple gifts. No matter what, these gifts come with a price. In many cases insomnia, but even if they don't have insomnia, the gifted will find that they can only dream of an endless mesh of gears, only sometimes expanding into other clockworks.

As you noticed, there's uniforms in both white and black. While I originally developed them to be warring factions, for some reason now I imagine them as just two rival militias for this city. Perhaps one focuses on defense, and one on offense, or maybe they both have ties to two older gods that fell out of favor due to their warring tendencies. Now I gave them a common enemy. Those creatures that you drew one of. They're tribal, they're hard to kill, they aren't fully understood, but they have attacked in the past, and this city attacks in return.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »
The fourth monthly gentle reminder...
So, recently I posted four stories chapter by chapter on the Scriptorium. Would anyone care to dissect them?

I mean that. I would be most grateful if any and all went through the stuff and sent me feedback by whatever means are at your disposal.

EDIT: See below for list of links.

2nd EDIT: As I said up top, you can respond by any means that are at your disposal, including but not limited to:
A post here (spoilered or unspoilered)
A comment on dA
A post on the Scriptorium
A Forum PM
A reply to the comment(s) on the SSSS page
A link on any of the above to a google doc
Monstrously long link set (so spoilered):
Spoiler: deviantart links • show

Any feedback is welcome.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »
*Looks at lack of feedback since asking*
*Sighs*
*Posts next monthly reminder anyway*
So, recently I posted four stories chapter by chapter on the Scriptorium. Would anyone care to dissect them?

I mean that. I would be most grateful if any and all went through the stuff and sent me feedback by whatever means are at your disposal.

2nd EDIT: As I said up top, you can respond by any means that are at your disposal, including but not limited to:
A comment on dA
A Forum PM

Any feedback is welcome.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
I can't post pictures but I have one sent by a friend with a list. It's title is "The creative process" and it says :
1. This is awesome
2. This is tricky
3. This is s***
4. I am s***
5. This might be okay
6. This is awesome

And it repeats itself again and again during a creative process, for writing a story or something else. Don't give up ! You'll go back to more confidence and pleasure to write :)
While I don't deny that this happens during the writing process. I'd like to take the opportunity to bloviate put down my thoughts on the post-creative process, or my version of it.

There's a scene in the first Back to the Future where George McFly explains his reasoning for keeping his stories private: "Well, what if they didn't like them? What if they said they were no good?" It's an echo of what his son Marty had said about not submitting his music to the industry; it's also the nagging fear I have every time I put something up on the web.

I'm generally stuck on the 'This is awesome' stage of the process Mélusine described above, but I also know very well that my tastes are not shared by a large number of people out there; what I think is awesome is likely to be thought of as "bleh" by others. So every time I post anything, I'm biting my nails and sweating blood, waiting for the inevitable person who doesn't like my stuff and feels compelled to inform me about it to speak up (as such). And every time that I put something up and the crickets chirp, I'm convinced that it's because nobody likes it but they're too nice to actually say so.

So, is this a familiar state of affairs for anyone else?

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
Yup, pretty much...
That's why you need to create to please yourself to a certain extent.
It is HARD to create something good, and even harder to create something new.
If it's something new, you need to march forward and keep your eyes on the goal, not on the bystanders.
If you do that, someday you'll look behind you and find a bunch of folks following you, much to your surprise.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2017, 02:56:07 AM »
While I don't deny that this happens during the writing process. I'd like to take the opportunity to bloviate put down my thoughts on the post-creative process, or my version of it.

There's a scene in the first Back to the Future where George McFly explains his reasoning for keeping his stories private: "Well, what if they didn't like them? What if they said they were no good?" It's an echo of what his son Marty had said about not submitting his music to the industry; it's also the nagging fear I have every time I put something up on the web.

I'm generally stuck on the 'This is awesome' stage of the process Mélusine described above, but I also know very well that my tastes are not shared by a large number of people out there; what I think is awesome is likely to be thought of as "bleh" by others. So every time I post anything, I'm biting my nails and sweating blood, waiting for the inevitable person who doesn't like my stuff and feels compelled to inform me about it to speak up (as such). And every time that I put something up and the crickets chirp, I'm convinced that it's because nobody likes it but they're too nice to actually say so.

So, is this a familiar state of affairs for anyone else?

Oh yeah.   And Crumpite has pretty much hit the nail on the head.
(For the record, this is my first visit to this thread, drawn here by your plaintive tone in the Disqus comments.)

For my artworks, I generally get stuck on the 'I am s***' phase.  I go away and leave them for a few years, and after forgetting about them completely and unearthing them again, I get to 'This might be okay.'  Any works I considered Awesome also get demoted to 'This might be okay.'  In fact, the fact that I have been accomplishing and sharing art is new this year (2016), helped immensely by the anonymity afforded by a pseudonym.

For my writing, 2016 was also the first year I did *any* writing (conveniently forgetting teen angst poetry from 35-40 years ago), so I am always surprised whenever anybody likes any of it.  I'd prefer not to hear the crickets chirp, but they do and I can deal with that.  (That's a lie: I dearly love crickets, and cicadas and wetas, and am bummed that there are none so far in this cold so-called summer.)

Is everything you write awesome?  Yes and no. 
  • Some writings hit you right away, and some take time to percolate through. 
    The Forum moves so quickly that it really isn't the done thing on *any* thread to comment on something from several pages ago, although I have no difficulty leaving kudos & comments on older AO3 entries. 
    You write across an array of genres and include AUs and crossovers. There is such a volume of fanfic to enjoy that  when I'm not familiar with the other half of the crossover, it's an easy filter.  AUs sometimes leave me a bit cold, too (says she whose biggest work posted on AO3 is an AU), much like the Holodeck recurring story device in ST:TNG.
    It's possible that some of your fellow writers (present company included) don't want to be seen putting in a generic comment that doesn't give usable feedback on that particular story. Just composing this message has taken me the better part of an hour, and I was supposed to accomplish some RL stuff (and some work on the next chapter of said AU monolith) this evening - ooops.  When I 'Post' this, that's me for the evening.

*}hugs{ for LooNEY_DAC*
I will say you're probably the only writer around here who could get me to read a story about the Kastrup reclamation or giant Danish tanks, based on that gem about the Cleanser cycle.
Right, laundry and processing of today's green bean harvest calls.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
How do I abandon a writing project? Is there an orphanage for them? Do I put it in a reed basket and send it on down the Nile of Obscurity? Just kind of confused as to how to get rid of one in general, like, considering this one had a teeny audience as well.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
How do I abandon a writing project? Is there an orphanage for them? Do I put it in a reed basket and send it on down the Nile of Obscurity? Just kind of confused as to how to get rid of one in general, like, considering this one had a teeny audience as well.

I believe the Internet version of unpersoning it works nicely- delete it and any records of it.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
Or, if you don't want to do it yourself/don't have time/have lost inspiration, but the story has potential, do the literary equivalent of a reed basket and put your file up on either the SSSS Scriptorium or the Forum Scriptorium, whichever is relevant, with a note asking other writers to please take in the poor orphan and dress it in their own storytelling skills - sort of like throwing a prompt out there but with more detail. Your story ideas are generally pretty good, and may inspire other writers.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »
You could also keep it around somewhere, at least in backed-up form, in case you have a breakthrough on it somewhere down the line. You can also use it as a source of character or place names if you need some in a pinch for another story. You might be surprised what parts you can take and use to develop a story you like better. :)
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2017, 12:31:43 AM »
The chirping of crickets reminds me that it's been six months since I posted this:

A comment on dA
A Forum PM

And now, more crickets.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
So, apropos of... nothing, nothing really, does anyone else have that weird reaction to praise for an ongoing work where you get totally terrified of messing everything up with the next chapter and get kinda blocked because of that?

Just wondering.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2017, 02:24:44 AM »
So, apropos of... nothing, nothing really, does anyone else have that weird reaction to praise for an ongoing work where you get totally terrified of messing everything up with the next chapter and get kinda blocked because of that?

Just wondering.

Depends on the praise.  For general praise or when people get the joke on my light pieces (I'm still astonished when that happens) it's not an issue for me.  But if they have mentioned a specific item that they'd like to see more of, whether or not I had intention to do that next time, I will then overthink it & spin out a bit as you have described. For better or for worse, it doesn't happen a lot!  And yet, we do want (crave, even) specific feedback.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
*pokes head in*
*tosses link to novel-length collaboration into forum*
*Runs*
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9941441/chapters/22254695
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
So, seven months, or 203 213 sometimes I can't count days, ago, I posted this:

A comment on dA
A Forum PM

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:36:55 PM by LooNEY_DAC »