Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2381981 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4140 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
I also think those pictures are very cool, but what's with junk in forests? Before it became a Safeway, there was this forest a three-minute walk from where I used to live. There was a short hiking trail through the forest, so my family decided to walk down it - and quickly decided to never set foot in that forest again.
Someone had obviously been using the place as a dump, for there was trash everywhere. Bottles, plastic bags, and pieces of scrap metal littered the ground. There was even a beat-up microwave. After encountering the third moldy kiddie pool only a hundred feet from the trail head, we found an entire couch in the middle of the path.
At that point we decided it might be time to leave.
hhhhhhhhh yes it bothers me too
like, it looks cool if you're in the mood for postapocalyptic
but it's hardly good, and when I read the chronicles of ancient darkness and had the strongest urges to run around in some forest, and all I could get was a cluster of trees full of trash
SIGHS
at least there are some better forests not too far away, just not in walking distance
you'll know where to find me.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4141 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
Wopa. So I wrote a speech? IDK if its too long i'll remove it but maybe some of you will be intrested?(Its only like 700 words so its Up There for long things I've written.)

Christopher Columbus discovered the island Quisqueya on December 6th, 1492. He then promptly colonized it for Spain and renamed it Hispaniola. The settlers (who stayed mostly on the western side of the island) enslaved the native population, and mined all the gold they could, until there was none left. I am seriously wondering what they did with all that gold.

Sometime in the mid-16th century, the French started settling on the western side of the island. By the late 1600s the Spanish are sick and tired of having Hispaniola under their domain, so in 1697, the Treaty of Rijswijk gave the Spanish-owned western side to France, who named it Saint-Domingue.

In 1789, Saint-Domingue had a population of about five hundred fifty-six thousand, with about five hundred thousand slaves, twenty-four thousand mulattoes (people of African and European ancestry) and thirty-two thousand European colonists. Being largely outnumbered by the people your oppressing is a great idea. It definitely won’t get your butt kicked in a very embarrassing fashion. Some slaves escaped into the mountains and became maroons, which is Spanish for wild. Whatever they were doing, it certainly wasn’t a wild party. Maroons would often fight guerrilla battles with the colonial militia.

This was when Voodoo began. It was a blend of the various religions of the slaves and Christianity. I don’t know much about Voodoo. I’ve only ever seen one ceremony. Key word: seen. I was on top of my uncle’s house, and all I remember that they sung and danced, and that a bull was killed.

Fast forward. Saint-Domingue has gained its independence and is now called Haiti (which means mountainous), been recognized as an independent nation (even though France made them pay twenty-one billion for it) been occupied and subsequently messed with by America, and oh, let’s not forget the brutal regimes. Now it’s 2010. Shake, shake, shake.

I was not there at the earth quake, but I was there to see the aftermath. A few days before the earthquake my mom had booked a flight to Haiti. I was pretty excited. The earthquake happens. I’m still excited. If you asked me today if I was excited to go the Haiti the answer would be no. When I first came to Haiti it was all new to me. Two weeks staying solely in Jacmel does not do much for adventuring, so next year, when my mom said we were staying three weeks, I was still excited. Then next year, it was four weeks, the year after that, five. So yeah, not that excited.

I don’t have much a positive viewpoint on Haiti. To be fair, it’s a disaster zone.  Before the earthquake, it wasn’t all that great.  It was politically unstable, corrupt, and very poor. After the earthquake, it gets worse.  The capital, Port-au-Prince, is densely packed, with too much people and too much rubble. (Today, most of the rubble is cleared, but if you visited there you’d understand what I meant.) Laigone, which is basically the countryside, was completely destroyed. If you went there, what you would see is shacks covered with tarps and some houses.

I don’t have many positive things to say about Haiti, but one thing I cannot deny about it is the people living there. They are lively, hard-working, kind, and proud.  Most people have a job or two, just to keep their family afloat. The first impression that you get of Haiti is that it is a very dirty country. This is only right in one way. You will find garbage on the streets and sewage in the gutters, but for those who have the money for it, you can hire someone to bring water for you to bathe and clean. For those who do not have the money, they will collect it themselves. Clothes will be washed and kept clean, and you will take a bath, even if it is pouring water over yourself and rubbing yourself with soap.

The aftermath. Right. When I first came to Haiti, there were people walking around on crutches or missing an arm or a leg. Driving to Jacmel, we were accosted by people-usually children begging us for money. In Jacmel, we stayed at my uncle’s house, which was being rebuilt. In Port-au-Prince, my father’s childhood home was still standing, but my mom tore it down and paid for a new house.  Sometimes someone will hobble past without a leg, or beg us for money. So no, things are not good. But they are getting better.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4142 on: March 27, 2015, 10:43:35 PM »
but it's hardly good, and when I read the chronicles of ancient darkness and had the strongest urges to run around in some forest, and all I could get was a cluster of trees full of trash
SIGHS
at least there are some better forests not too far away, just not in walking distance

I have to be carefull walking the forests where I live, people like growing illegal stuff (Marijuana) and will tie fishing line to snakes, and then to the plants. Or other really bad things to defend them. . .and then there's moonshiners, and other things. But soo much pretty forest trees! Huung!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4143 on: March 27, 2015, 11:03:37 PM »
SIGHS

Thankfully where I live now there's this huge forest-park a mile away and it's super clean and great.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4144 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »
but thanks! it was a pretty nice day so it looked less drab than usual
(it's sadly not that deep in the woods hahahaha. the E6 road is just nearby)

Just need to put some headphones in and tune out the world, its what I do.  Some beautiful (and privately owned XD) near where I live, but you are never too far from a road.

Someone had obviously been using the place as a dump, for there was trash everywhere. Bottles, plastic bags, and pieces of scrap metal littered the ground. There was even a beat-up microwave. After encountering the third moldy kiddie pool only a hundred feet from the trail head, we found an entire couch in the middle of the path.
At that point we decided it might be time to leave.

But, but, but... free sofa!

I have to be carefull walking the forests where I live, people like growing illegal stuff (Marijuana) and will tie fishing line to snakes, and then to the plants. Or other really bad things to defend them. . .and then there's moonshiners, and other things. But soo much pretty forest trees! Huung!

That sounds exciting to me.  I've been chased off from areas before and its a thrill.  Plus having to sneak and look for traps just makes it so much more special.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4145 on: March 28, 2015, 02:43:49 AM »
For sure. I found a seiko watch worth 800 USD in the highlands once. There's great loot to be found out there.

You really are Sigrun, aren't you?  Or her harbinger avatar time-traveling clone-daughter?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4146 on: March 28, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »
Wopa. So I wrote a speech? IDK if its too long i'll remove it but maybe some of you will be interested?

Christopher Columbus discovered the island Quisqueya...

The aftermath. Right. When I first came to Haiti, there were people walking around on crutches or missing an arm or a leg. Driving to Jacmel, we were accosted by people-usually children begging us for money. In Jacmel, we stayed at my uncle’s house, which was being rebuilt. In Port-au-Prince, my father’s childhood home was still standing, but my mom tore it down and paid for a new house.  Sometimes someone will hobble past without a leg, or beg us for money. So no, things are not good. But they are getting better.

This was really interesting!  You have a very mature perspective for someone so young.  What kind of assignment was this speech for?  Everything I did for school when I was your age was very bland and dull.  No opinions allowed, and certainly not anything even faintly controversial.

I've heard and read a lot about Haiti, especially since the earthquake, hurricane, etc. -- but not from someone with your personal experience.  I'd be curious to hear more!  IIRC, you said somewhere that both your parents are Haitian.  But I didn't realize they (and you) still have family there.  I hope they didn't suffer too badly in the disasters.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4147 on: March 28, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
You really are Sigrun, aren't you?  Or her harbinger avatar time-traveling clone-daughter?
are you implying there's a possibility Fim isn't sigrun?? can i have been wrong all this time

SPEAKING oF FINDING STUFF IN THE fOREST
here is more wonky haiz backstory

I switched schools because nobody appreciated my supreme mushroom finding skills
you'll know where to find me.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4148 on: March 28, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
This was really interesting!  You have a very mature perspective for someone so young.  What kind of assignment was this speech for?  Everything I did for school when I was your age was very bland and dull.  No opinions allowed, and certainly not anything even faintly controversial.

I've heard and read a lot about Haiti, especially since the earthquake, hurricane, etc. -- but not from someone with your personal experience.  I'd be curious to hear more!  IIRC, you said somewhere that both your parents are Haitian.  But I didn't realize they (and you) still have family there.  I hope they didn't suffer too badly in the disasters.

Yeah, most of my family lives in Haiti. Like 5? live in the States. The speech was for Forensics and 3/4? people died.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:26:33 PM by KicknRun »

Icon drawn by Piney

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #4149 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
News on the speech!
I was so underwhelmed. I thought it would be this big tough thing that would be really hard. But nope! You don't fail. And if you fail you get this thing. I did better than the other two finalists. I think I'll do it again next year, only with a speech instead of a story.
http://www.kingcustom.net/assets/images/ribbons/2x8%20stock%20ribbons/2sb-finalist-award-ribbon.jpg

Anyways, one of the other contestants seemed really interesting and  and funny and when I asked her if I could have her email or phone  number or something she said(or lied) that her parents were really strict so that's a no-go. This always happens when I meet cool people.

The people who got actual medals totally deserved them through. All of them memorized it pretty fully and they were all cool. 3rd place wrote a ghost story, 2nd place wrote a story about a girl aciddentally killing her mom and having to live with this man(her father) who skipped out on her when she was little. First place wrote a really fuñnny script.

Also for Sunflower because I totally messed up that response- 8 members of my family live in America, I wrote this for a competition, 3 people on my mom's side died, and if you want me to answer any questions about Haiti, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:26:34 PM by KicknRun »

Icon drawn by Piney

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4150 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
That sounds exciting to me.  I've been chased off from areas before and its a thrill.  Plus having to sneak and look for traps just makes it so much more special.

I don't think so, I've had a couple close calls. I was shot at not too long ago.  :( But there are some trails in a nearby town that I can walk, and only have to worry about losing them. Hehehe. I might try to post some pictures from those.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4151 on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:02 AM »
Please do post pictures, its always nice to see what areas people have.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4152 on: March 29, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
Very random:

Today I was skimming a traditional cookbook searching for a way to prepare chicken-breast and there were none recipes for it in it but seven different recipes for brain.  ::)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4153 on: March 29, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »
Very random:

Today I was skimming a traditional cookbook searching for a way to prepare chicken-breast and there were none recipes for it in it but seven different recipes for brain.  ::)
"post-world cooking: delicious meals for your zombie friends"
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4154 on: March 29, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
"post-world cooking: delicious meals for your zombie friends"

"Traditional Nordic cooking: if it's not poisonous and goes down in fewer than five tries it counts as food. Except sometimes poisonous things also count as food."
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: