Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2385019 times)

catbirds

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19050 on: October 31, 2021, 01:59:35 AM »
It feels like it's been a particularly bad year for hail this year, all around the world. Roisin, it's good to know you're safe, though nice weather would be a treat too! Especially considering it's summer in Australia now. Hope repairs go well for both your house and neighbourhood.

Actually, it might just be general extreme weather everywhere this year.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19051 on: October 31, 2021, 07:11:17 AM »
Catbirds, welcome to the new normal weather…
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #19052 on: October 31, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Actually, it might just be general extreme weather everywhere this year.
I fear it will stay like this or get worse. The Planet is heating up this means there is more energy in the atmosphere so clearly everything the atmosphere does happens with more energy too.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19053 on: November 01, 2021, 03:52:38 AM »
Two days without power, phones or internet later, I’m back. We had really bad storm damage, what with huge winds and above 70,000 lightning strikes that actually hit the ground. We will need to get the car windscreen replaced, but looks like only minor damage to the house. The Telstra and power company linesmen are heroes, keeping on doing repairs through the weather we have been having. Now to sift through the wreckage and save what I can. But Star and I are okay, even if uncomfortable. Nobody we know has died, apart from one elderly friend who died of something completely unrelated to the storm. Let’s hope things get no worse!

Róisín, I'm glad to hear that you and Star are alright. That sounds like a really strong storm - I'm glad that none of it has reached us over here in the west. You've got my best wishes for the mending process!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19054 on: November 18, 2021, 02:40:43 AM »
Well, here we go again! Half the day has vanished in power, phone and internet outages, storms and general bad weather. Now there is a huge fire happening a few kilometres south of us. The fire brigades are hitting it as hard as they can, last bulletin said sixteen fire trucks and four aircraft, so hopefully they will get it out before the wind changes, since a change of wind direction would blow it back toward us.

At present the fire is moving south southeast in light forest, grassland and farmland but its present path if maintained will hit Murray Bridge which is a largish country town. That would not be good. Hope they get it soon.

I shall go back to picking up storm debris while the wind has dropped enough to do that safely, and to retrieve my washing which has been blown about the yard while I was elsewhere this morning. Urgh! Weather! Hope the next bout of storms does not bring more lightning fires!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

catbirds

« Reply #19055 on: November 18, 2021, 03:02:05 AM »
That's really extreme weather! I forgot that it's almost summer in the southern hemisphere now, AKA the season when everything catches on fire or something, apparently. I hope you'll stay safe and that the air quality doesn't get too bad. Provided the fire doesn't make its way to where you live, that's probably the other major health risk. Hopefully what happened to your laundry will be the biggest inconvenience that comes out of this.

Róisín

« Reply #19056 on: November 18, 2021, 03:19:01 AM »
There are a few bits blown off the house (drainpipes, windowbox, damaged storm shutter, and a lot of branches down, but so far hopefully nothing major. Hoping we don’t get anything like more of the giant hail from a month or so back, though I’m quite sure we will get more lightning-strike fires. Okay for the moment though.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19057 on: November 18, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »
It would be ridiculous if it weren't so serious! It's not normal even for Australia, that there are so many disasters in a row, and in several years the same keeps happening, or is it?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #19058 on: November 18, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »
No it isn’t, even on a continent famed for ‘droughts and flooding rains’. Climate disruption is getting much, much worse, sadly. At least the Tungkillo fire a couple of kilometres away from our place is listed as ‘controlled’, and is down to 6 fire engines, and all of the water bomber planes have been deployed elsewhere. Thank gods that the wind didn’t shift! We can no longer see flames from here, and the smoke is thinning out a bit. Relief, it was hard to breathe for awhile. I fear that such events may become the new normal. I probably am better prepared than most, but am still not happy with all of my disaster prep, and with Star not able to drive at present there is not a lot I can do to prepare further. However, we cope as we can, and life goes on.

Róisín

« Reply #19059 on: November 28, 2021, 06:22:20 AM »
Still can’t find where the birthday thread has gone, so will take advantage of this thread to wish Yastreb a happy birthday for Saturday!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #19060 on: November 28, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
Still can’t find where the birthday thread has gone
It's here, in the "Personal" child board of the "General Discussion Board", presumably because one can expect PII in it. I'm not aware of the exact restrictions applying, but I would've guessed that "properly logged in and not a Super-Newbie" should suffice ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #19061 on: November 29, 2021, 12:11:34 AM »
Thanks JoB! I shall keep trying.

catbirds

« Reply #19062 on: November 29, 2021, 12:39:18 AM »
Could it be because of Roisin's new (and unique) role? Egh, probably not, I think this has been a problem for much longer.

Edit: Well, it might be a possibility? Considering your promotion/new role was granted on September 11th, and the last post of yours was probably in LMoH on September 5th?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:49:32 AM by catbirds »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #19063 on: November 29, 2021, 05:07:43 AM »
Could it be because of Roisin's new (and unique) role? Egh, probably not, I think this has been a problem for much longer.

Edit: Well, it might be a possibility? Considering your promotion/new role was granted on September 11th, and the last post of yours was probably in LMoH on September 5th?
Róisíns "role" should be a post-count-based rank title, complete with still-yellow squares underneath, so I seriously doubt that. (We'd have to ask an admin, like, here, to be certain, though.)

I can see the birthdays thread and the only group I'm a member of is one registered users supposedly cannot leave, but just to be sure, Róisín, what does that page say about your group memberships?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #19064 on: November 29, 2021, 06:08:16 AM »
Not quite sure what you mean but when I try to open the link to the birthday thread in your post at the top of the page it tells me ‘an error has occurred’.