Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2376263 times)

Roulietta

• DeviantArt
  • Hapless ham-fisted French
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17790 on: November 11, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
Anyone want to draw an apocalypse comic? Have an awesome idea but can't art....

I understand so much the pain... T.T it's pretty frustrating.
Default settings: :france:
Oddly more or less mastered : :uk:
Studied it five years and still can't speak a word: :spain:
Seriously studying and can swear in this language: :german:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #17791 on: November 11, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
I talked with my English teacher and we decided that I'd better ask native speakers sooo
We know that the word 'person' can be used in plural, but don't know when it's acceptable because usually the word 'people' is used instead. Could you explain, please? and it's not even the language board but I couldn't find the right thread...
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #17792 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »
I talked with my English teacher and we decided that I'd better ask native speakers sooo
We know that the word 'person' can be used in plural, but don't know when it's acceptable because usually the word 'people' is used instead. Could you explain, please? and it's not even the language board but I couldn't find the right thread...
It's a very formal/legal-speak kinda term? Or not legal-speak exactly but, like, not something people say in regular conversation. Tends to come up in the context "persons fulfilling x condition should do y" in announcements to large groups of people (some of which are x and some of which aren't, like maybe if you're waiting to get on a plane you might hear "persons taking extra time to board and families with small children may now board the plane"), but it sounds super stilted and over-formal even when you're using it correctly. Rule of thumb, just say people.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #17793 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
Noodles, thank you!
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #17794 on: November 11, 2017, 04:27:27 PM »
To add on what Noodles said, I find it easier to think of the two as such:
persons is a group of individuals, while people is a faceless group where the emphasis is on the group, not the people in the group.

And yes, most often used in a conditional statement. But (as Noodles said, and as illustrated in the last part of my previous sentence) these days, persons is now interchangeable with people, and very rarely used indeed.
Am notified of private messages via email.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17795 on: November 11, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
I agree with Noodles and Lenny, with one notable exception.  Garrison Keillor from the 'A Prairie Home Companion' used to use the plural 'persons' quite a bit in his material, with the most most notable use being the promo for the (fictitious, sadly) Powdermilk Biscuits - they "give shy persons the strength to get up and do what needs to be done."
For that reason, I've often wondered whether the use of 'persons' is a Minnesota regional thing.  It's not a term used in conversation in what I remember of the US places I've lived, or in New Zealand, but is used in both places in the legal sense Noodles mentioned.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17796 on: November 11, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
I've seen it used in documents in the legal or legislative sense, but also in writing and conversation by old people, especially in formal and descriptive senses. It tends to be something more educated older persons say, or more stuffy ones. I sometimes use it myself.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17797 on: November 11, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
To add on what Noodles said, I find it easier to think of the two as such:
persons is a group of individuals, while people is a faceless group.

This. Both terms still very much reflect their respective Latin root, namely, "persona" (mask) referring to an individual's personality, usually determined not only by that specific person but also the persons it is currently communicating with (and thus masking what would be its true and entire self); and "populus" (people), as in "vox populi" = the aggregated voice/vote of a large group.

Also note, though, that the polite term for "clueless mass of people" is "laypersons" ... >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17798 on: November 11, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »
Got up this morning. Saw my phone was trying to do an Android update. Told it to complete the update. Update completed. Opened phone after update only to find it had uninstalled my Kindle. Went to Amazon store to reinstall Kindle. Kindle app crashed every time I tried to open it. Uninstalled and reinstalled Kindle. Still crashed. Did multiple Internet searches and found that this is a common problem. Tried every piece of advice I could find to fix it, including clearing the cache on the app, clearing all data on the app, and reinstalling the app. All advice turned out to be useless. Attempted to try installing Kindle from the Google Play store only to find I couldn't access it because the VPN on my phone (and only my phone) doesn't want to connect. Tried again to install it from Amazon. Kindle still crashed upon opening. Uninstalled and then installed the previous version of Kindle. Still crashed. Now attempting a download of an even older version of Kindle, which is currently stuck at 40%.

Thank you, Android and Amazon, for wasting several hours and counting out of my weekend because you keep insisting on fixing what was never broken until you tried to fix it.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17799 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »

I have no words to describe my reaction to this comic. What kind of logic is this?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:54:02 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #17800 on: November 14, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
Clearly the loss of his conveyance has snapped what fragile threads of sanity our artist had remaining, and this comic is their last work before they fled screaming into the lightless abyss....

Or they simply are adopting a Zen outlook.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17801 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
I distinctly remember seeing an edit of that comic that I shouldn't have laughed at.
I did anyway.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17802 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
I have no words to describe my reaction to this comic. What kind of logic is this?

Well, I see two possible explanations. Either he sees things exactly as described in the comic, he is extraordinarily altruistic and happy to benefit another even in this situation (people like this are rare but exist). Or he thinks it would be impossible/too much of a hassle to try to get his bike back, so he tells himself this story to feel better about it being gone.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17803 on: November 14, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »

Given his latest comics, that seems to be the way he's going - or, at least trying to bring in some optimism.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17804 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
Clearly the loss of his conveyance has snapped what fragile threads of sanity our artist had remaining, and this comic is their last work before they fled screaming into the lightless abyss....

>clearly the loss of his conveyance
>clearly the loss
>the loss
>loss
Tim Buckly.jpg

I distinctly remember seeing an edit of that comic that I shouldn't have laughed at.
I did anyway.
I was there when the edits were being first passed out. God I love anons.

Well, I see two possible explanations. Either he sees things exactly as described in the comic, he is extraordinarily altruistic and happy to benefit another even in this situation (people like this are rare but exist). Or he thinks it would be impossible/too much of a hassle to try to get his bike back, so he tells himself this story to feel better about it being gone.

It was more a reaction of how can someone believes this? I understand having a peaceful outlook on the world. But good god who in the right mind would believe in 'oh something bad happened to me. Guess that this weird twisted sense of logic when my stuff is taken from me will make everything okay.' like no, when someone steals your stuff go get it back. And if you can't call the police. Don't sit around and not do anything and just let some guy steal your stuff. lol